By the time the IOC votes Trump will long be forgotten.

Note there will be an election in France in May so we will have also a new administration in France too.

Edited by hektor

22 hours ago, JO2024 said:

LA will get the Games again eventually, and I just can't wait for it! No matter when, the nasty French will be there!

(How amazing would it be to have Paris handover the Olympic Flag to LA!)

...there's that nasty French thing I mentioned, nobody does it better.

I do pray the corrupt and pathetic IOC never steps foot in LA again, but seeing Paris get soooooooo close and blow it again like 2012 would be the only funny part. We win whatever happens. But it would be so much better to see Paris hosting under Sharia, it's going to be a real challenge.

...I'll give you the last word.

1 hour ago, paul said:

...there's that nasty French thing I mentioned, nobody does it better.

Appart from you! 

1 hour ago, paul said:

But it would be so much better to see Paris hosting under Sharia, it's going to be a real challenge.

Errr. WTF? Are you for real?

1 hour ago, paul said:

...I'll give you the last word.

Well here it is: You shall now be named Trump the 2nd.

Going back to the IOC and the violation of the rules during the Rio Games, my takeaway from the Gamebids.com report is that LA seems to be the only one that did not violate the rule. It states that 3 of the 4 cities violated the rules and then goes on to say "Rome 2024 invited journalists to a hospitality event at Casa Italia, Paris 2024 asked the media to attend a “meet and greet” with bid officials at Club France.  And the Hungarian Olympic Committee extended an open invitation for media to visit the Budapest 2024 bid display at Hungary House.  L.A. also received notice by the IOC."

Interestingly, however, they chose LA's display as their cover photo for the article. SO, did all four cities break that rule then? 

Olympic Bid Invitations to the Press Draw Ire From IOC: Who Has Crossed The Line?

By Robert Livingstone | Published August 15, 2016 4:00 PM in 2024 Olympic Bid News, Featured

Reporting from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – The International Olympic Committee (IOC) said last week three of the four cities ...

http://gamesbids.com/eng/featured/olympic-bid-invitations-to-the-press-draw-ire-from-ioc-who-has-crossed-the-line

15 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

I think, if Hillary wins in November, LA has the momentum. The terrorist attacks I fear will deeply hurt Paris. Especially if the US is able to put on a brave face of stability. 

1. Let's not forget that the USA has had numerous killings of police and innocent civilians by police this year. We are not exactly the safest country in the world either. (Though the risk of violence is exaggerated in both countries.)

I am in the middle of nowhere in Alaska right now and just had $750 in cash stolen. People critising other countries like Brazil or France and pretending that crime never happens here must be living a very sheltered life.

2. People keep talking about the Olympic bidding process as if it is a objective analysis of which city would be a better host. It is not. It is a political and business decision based on the personal interests of the voters. Voters are not very interested in Hillary Clinton. They are interested in how LA2024 will benefit their sport or organization.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JO2024 said:

Appart from you! 

Lmfao, exactly - obviously she's speaking from experience! She's become quite the nasty ("Francais") twat herself on these boards lately. She just has it in for all other nationalities as of late. 

1 hour ago, JO2024 said:

Errr. WTF? Are you for real?

I know, right. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, JO2024 said:

Well here it is: You shall now be named Trump the 2nd.

Lmfao - more like TELA JR

45 minutes ago, Nacre said:

Let's not forget that the USA has had numerous killings of police and innocent civilians by police this year. We are not exactly the safest country in the world either. (Though the risk of violence is exaggerated in both countries.)

I am in the middle of nowhere in Alaska right now and just had $750 in cash stolen. People critising other countries like Brazil or France and pretending that crime never happens here must be living a very sheltered life.

Yeah, & now it's starting to come out that Ryan Lochte's "robbed at gunpoint" story is at least *questionable* now. And boy, were some people here already jumping on that one (like the fat man eyeing the last Krispy Kreme doughnut) when it was first reported. 

Every nation has crime, but the US hasn't suffered as many terrorist attacks as France has since the race began. The IOC could view LA as a safer option and a city that (as it did in the past) reinvigorates the Olympic movement and goes a long way in working with Tokyo to restore the image of the Olympics. 

What do call San Bernardino, Orlando & Dallas then. A walk in the park? Cuz that sounds just as many terrorist attacks as France since the race began.

Everything thats unfortunately going on in this country right now, attacks, crime, shootings, civil unrest, racism, sexism, bigotry, inequality, etc (sounds a lot like Brazil really) is very concerning. So take off your red, white & blue specs for a moment & take a real good look around, cuz it ain't too pretty, if one isn't jingoistically blind. If this country doesn't start to turn around for the better & soon, we could very well start to look like a developing country instead of a developed one.

We have very serious issues going on here right now that we need to fix to just sweep them under the rug with the rhetoric "the U.S. is still the world's superpower, & we're still doing better than x,y & z country & blah, blah, blah".

As for L.A. "reinvigorating" the Olympics "as it did in the past", sounds too much like you're starting to drink the kool-aide that's been going around in this thread as of late. The Games are way to big now than they were back in 1984 for such a blanket claim. That's not saying that L.A. couldn't deliver, bcuz they could. But "reinvigorate"? Much easier said than done the next time around. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mr.bernham said:

Every nation has crime, but the US hasn't suffered as many terrorist attacks as France has since the race began. The IOC could view LA as a safer option and a city that (as it did in the past) reinvigorates the Olympic movement and goes a long way in working with Tokyo to restore the image of the Olympics. 

Your terrorism argument is not only completely tasteless, it's logically bankrupt. Please, think before you post.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

Going back to the IOC and the violation of the rules during the Rio Games, my takeaway from the Gamebids.com report is that LA seems to be the only one that did not violate the rule. It states that 3 of the 4 cities violated the rules and then goes on to say "Rome 2024 invited journalists to a hospitality event at Casa Italia, Paris 2024 asked the media to attend a “meet and greet” with bid officials at Club France.  And the Hungarian Olympic Committee extended an open invitation for media to visit the Budapest 2024 bid display at Hungary House.  L.A. also received notice by the IOC."

Interestingly, however, they chose LA's display as their cover photo for the article. SO, did all four cities break that rule then? 

Los Angeles 2024 Olympic Bid Display at USA House in Rio (GamesBids Photo)

Los Angeles 2024 Olympic Bid Display at USA House in Rio (GamesBids Photo)

I thought it was interesting as well Gamxesbiz also reported on this but Gamesbids was the only one to say LA didn't break the rule. Biz said that just said the ioc reminded everyone

LOL at the terrorism comments here.  Same vapid rhetoric every time of "terrorism can happen anywhere" and "let's compare which cities/countries have experienced the most terrorism" as if that's going to help determine who the IOC votes for.

I will point out this though.  And I know we have someone from France here, so this is purely an outsider's perspective (with help from a friend who has a lot of family in France), but this is something that would probably concern me if I was living in France.  Not specific to the Olympic bid, but if anyone wants to point to a reason for terrorism occurring somewhere as opposed to "it just happens and we don't know when or where," there's this..

French PM supports local bans on burkinis

Again, not trying to offer political commentary here, but if we're talking about terrorism in France, there is sadly a reason for strained relations in France and something that is worth taking note of for so many reasons that have nothing to do with the Olympics.  And yes, I'm well aware there are similar issues in the United States that can be brought up in the same light as this one.  It does go both ways, but that's why it's worth actually looking at issues like these and the specter of gay marriage in this country rather than making shallow statements that show little understanding.

13 minutes ago, Rob. said:

Which shallow statements are you referring to? If someone brings up the Paris attacks isn't it fair that the regular mass-shootings in the US are also mentioned?

You've been around GamesBids long enough to know how these discussions go.  So if someone brings up Paris attacks, it's "fair" to mention something else?  Why does it often have to be a comparison?  Where it gets shallow is the theory that "these things can happen anywhere" and don't speak to any sort of context as to why they happen or what can be done about it or how it actually applies itself to Olympic bidding.  That's why to me, the idea of comparing 1 versus the idea just leads to the usual pissing contests that this site is famous for (not that I should talk having been a part of many of them).  People like to bring up the prospect of a Trump presidency and the idea that he may make it difficult for foreigners to enter the US, which is already something of an issue.  That's the kind of thing that actually provides some context for an Olympic bid rather than to just throw out there "Trump would be bad for LA 2024" as if it's assumed that on the surface is bad.  We're not suddenly going to start having deep political discussions here, but a little bit of understanding goes a long way in terms of having a more serious discussion.

11 minutes ago, RuFF said:

Just took the time to see the media conference LA2024 held in Rio. Lots of already know a discussed as far as existing infrastructure and public policy. One thing that stood out that I think is to LA's favor was a question posed by a Japanese journalist. She asked how LA planned to control cost as Tokyo had relied heavily on existing infrastructure and costs still exploded to nearly 4 or 5 times (I don't remember exactly what she said). The response of existing faucilities and public policy and infrastructure set a clear differential with Paris, though Paris wasn't mentioned. Granted, policy in Paris also is similar to policy in Los Angeles, but there are still venues to be built. Specifically the athletes village, IBC and media village. What Paris has proposed, while less risk than what we have recently seen with other bids, still carries a substantial amount of risk when compared to Los Angeles. And Tokyo is the face of that risk. Anyhow, I'm sure because I posted a few groupies are going to wet their panties [Baron: Depends], but if anybody cares to seriously discuss what do you guys think? 

And you wonder why so many of us become adversarial when you post.  But no, continue to convince yourself it's all of us, not you.  That said, here's a serious response..

LA still has elements they need to build as well.  They need the temporary overlay for the Coliseum to host track and field.  They have their temporary set-up for their swimming venue that may or may not serious compromise the existing structure it's being built over.  These are not inexpensive projects, and being temporary, they offer very little legacy.  And in reference to Tokyo, it raises the question of whether or not costs can be controlled rather than spiraling out of control like they seem to do for almost every Olympics.  LA has their budget and a number they're expected to spend.  But what happens if that number starts to trend upward?  LA is not going to be immune to that simply because they use a lot of existing infrastructure.  There may be less risk with an LA bid, but there's also a lot of temporary building that will be expensive and has little chance of leaving meaningful legacy.  So the question with LA is less about is all this building going to be useful after the Olympics and more is all this temporary spending going to be of benefit to the city that spending that money elsewhere would not be.

I think LA has its work cut-out to make that argument stick against Paris, and it does make me smile to see the attempted role-reversal here from 11 years ago.

If LA was up against a bid like London's it could very easily argue that its bid is more responsible and less risky in terms of levels of construction needed. Indeed, that's exactly the argument the French used against London - that their bid was "real" vs London's "virtual Games".

LA would need to paint a bid that successfully sold itself to the IOC as a safe pair of hands post-Athens and very nearly won the vote 11 years ago as risky! Since Paris has built more venues since 2005 that's going to be a really tall order.

On so many things I think Paris and LA are so close that either attempting to distinguish themselves becomes really difficult. They're both safe bids, they both have much more than average already built, they're both world-famous cities with all that entails in terms of facilities and hotel rooms, and both have excellent track records in hosting events. So I'm still inclined to think the background politics (i.e. the IOC wanting to get Europe back on board post-Sochi) might be the biggest determining factor.

Do you think the Ryan Lochte robbery scandal will have any implications on the 2017 vote and LA's chances?

If it turns out that Lochte and the other swimmers indeed lied about their account and that the US won't want to extradite Lochte to face charges for providing a false statement to the police that could form an image that the US thinks it's about international sovereignty. Might not be a huge thing but it could leave a bad taste in voters mouths, no?

It's crazy how this thing is playing out, Lochte in America the other three in Brazil. this is going to last a lot longer than we think unless Lochte flies back to Rio

4 minutes ago, alphamale86 said:

Do you think the Ryan Lochte robbery scandal will have any implications on the 2017 vote and LA's chances?

If it turns out that Lochte and the other swimmers indeed lied about their account and that the US won't want to extradite Lochte to face charges for providing a false statement to the police that could form an image that the US thinks it's about international sovereignty. Might not be a huge thing but it could leave a bad taste in voters mouths, no?

No

4 minutes ago, alphamale86 said:

It's crazy how this thing is playing out, Lochte in America the other three in Brazil. this is going to last a lot longer than we think unless Lochte flies back to Rio

Yeah, what a piece of ****.

Good on Brazil for stopping them.

Disgraceful.

44 minutes ago, alphamale86 said:

Is that actually a serious question?

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but it needs to be stated again.. the vote is more than a year away.  No one is going to remember this incident in September of 2017 to the point they're going to take it into account when they're voting.  I'm sure someone wants to jump in with "well you never know what's going to be on their minds and what will factor in and blah blah blah," but again, there shouldn't be a reaction to every little incident like this as if we need to assess it's factor on the vote because it's happening right now.

No, there is nothing about this incident that anyone is going to give 2 shits about a year from now.  It has no implications whatsoever on the vote.  This will become a complete non-story as soon as the Olympics are over and we're no longer focusing so much attention on Brazil

33 minutes ago, Jesse Saenz said:

They left Club France super drunk. Lol.

Oh, the irony

Lmfao

35 minutes ago, Jesse Saenz said:

Still, alcohol is not an excuse. They are grown ass men. 

Exactly - especially Locte! He's like what, 32yo?! Not saying that 32yo don't get drunk on their a$s, but for Pete's sake, you're an OLYMPIAN!!!

How many little kids are looking up to him as a role model only for this type of crap to come up! So he needs to be held up to a higher standard, IMHO. 

39 minutes ago, Jesse Saenz said:

Whether it hurts the LA bid or not is premature, but I am sure it doesn't help.

Yep.

31 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Is that actually a serious question?

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but it needs to be stated again.. the vote is more than a year away.  No one is going to remember this incident in September of 2017 to the point they're going to take it into account when they're voting.  I'm sure someone wants to jump in with "well you never know what's going to be on their minds and what will factor in and blah blah blah," but again, there shouldn't be a reaction to every little incident like this as if we need to assess it's factor on the vote because it's happening right now.

No, there is nothing about this incident that anyone is going to give 2 shits about a year from now.  It has no implications whatsoever on the vote.  This will become a complete non-story as soon as the Olympics are over and we're no longer focusing so much attention on Brazil

The question is more about the downline actions. If this gets drawn out longer than it needs to then it can become an issue to consider a year later. Just today they discussed the possibility that Brazil might want Lochte extradited back to Brazil. What if the US says no? Brazil has 2 of the US swimmers in custody how does that affect decisions if there becomes a tug of war on the issue. The political implications of extradition may linger longer than the simple action of urinating on a public wall.