16 minutes ago, RuFF said:

It's nice to be on the sidelines of this womanly chatter. :) where's Barron? (S)he usually has a lot to say. 

Shhh.. adults are having a conversation here.  We'll let you know when we want to acknowledge the kids table.  Keep telling yourself how great LA is.  We'd all love to hear more about it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, paul said:

...the American athletes do not seem welcome in Rio, the Brazilian fans are booing all the time no matter what country the US is playing.

Hi Paul - where did you hear about this? Just curious because I haven't noticed it, then again I've only watched water polo, cycling, and rowing so far. Has it been at certain events? 

4 hours ago, Fiorenzo said:

They did. They also mentioned Budapest and Rome.

Good on them. A bit more even-handed than NBC then. Stil, no relevance or influence ultimately to the campaign at all. I can't believe so much has been read into and discussed about a passing remark in an OC commentary :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Volle

Just now, Sir Rols said:

Good on them. A bit more even-handed than NBC then. Stil, no relevance or influence ultimately to the campaign at all. I can't believe so much has been read into and discussed about a passing remark in an OC commentary :rolleyes:

...can you REALLY not believe it? ...how long have you been here?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Olympic USA said:

Hi Paul - where did you hear about this? Just curious because I haven't noticed it, then again I've only watched water polo, cycling, and rowing so far. Has it been at certain events? 

watch volleyball.

they will be booing their own to save face when the Brazilian soccer men go down in flames...........AGAIN.

GARCETTI: TRUMP PRESIDENCY COULD HURT LA'S 2024 OLYMPIC BID

unday, August 07, 2016 12:12AM
RIO DE JANEIRO --
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti acknowledged Saturday that the results of November's U.S. presidential election could weigh heavily on his city's chances of hosting the 2024 Olympics, saying that a victory by Donald Trump could turn off IOC voters.

In an exclusive interview with The Associated Press, Garcetti also said Los Angeles could offer "the last best hope" for the United States to host the Summer Olympics again before the American people begin "tuning out" from the games.

Garcetti, a 45-year-old Democrat and supporter of Hillary Clinton, is in Brazil to observe the Rio de Janeiro Games and pitch his city's bid to members of the International Olympic Committee. One of the main topics of conversation with IOC delegates has been the U.S. election - and the prospects of a Trump presidency.

"I think for some of the IOC members they would say, 'Wait a second, can we go to a country like that, where we've heard things that we take offense to?'" Garcetti said. "But I think that gives us even more urgency globally, where we can say, 'This is something that is a different strength maybe than the things that you've heard or the things you believe.' I think we continue no matter what the outcome of the election is."

A new U.S. president will be in office when the IOC selects the 2024 host city in September 2017. Los Angeles, which hosted the Olympics in 1932 and 1984, is competing with Paris, Rome and Budapest, Hungary.

"Everything that we're going through right now in the United States politically, I don't want us to be a country that turns into itself," said Garcetti, who spoke at the Democratic convention in Philadelphia last month. "I think we have to look outward to the world."

The IOC's 98 members come from all over the world, and Trump's comments on Mexicans, Muslims and other issues won't encourage them to vote for a U.S. city.

"They wonder, 'Is America going to take this strange turn?'" Garcetti said. "Were there to be an election result that is less international, more inward-focused, maybe there's even greater urgency to a bid like this.

"But even if that doesn't happen, even the threat of that, the talk of that, the idea that we exclude people based on who they are at our borders, gives us urgency to having things like the Olympics underscore who we are and what we're about."

Los Angeles bid chairman Casey Wasserman said the city will continue to push the bid on its own technical merits.

"I don't think you can judge a country by who runs for president," he said. "I think you should judge a country on who is the president and their beliefs and their policies. And clearly that's something the members will take into account. But that's something I can't control."

Los Angeles is seeking to bring the Summer Olympics back to the U.S. for the first time since Atlanta hosted the 1996 Games. The bid follows failed attempts by New York and Chicago for the 2012 and 2016 Olympics, respectively.

"I don't know if this is the last best hope, but I do think that after a few bids, after a while, there will be real feeling of people tuning out in America, a new generation that isn't connected with the legacy sports," said Garcetti, who attended Rio's opening ceremony on Friday night, 32 years after going to the close of the '84 Games as a 13-year-old.

Recent American bids have suffered from anti-U.S. sentiment among some members in the European-dominated IOC, and Garcetti said he is working to change that.

"There may be a general anti-Americanism but once you create a relationship with somebody, it becomes a relationship with Eric and that person," he said. "As we get to know each other over time, they realize you can't slap a title, just like 'American' and a caricature of what that means on anybody."

"I want to listen," Garcetti said. "I don't want to just come in and say, 'We're the Americans, we get the most medals, we bring in the sponsorships. That turns people off."

He acknowledged there could be a backlash among some IOC members to what they consider U.S. meddling in global sports affairs, including the Justice Department investigation of world soccer body FIFA and the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency's call for a total ban on Russia's Olympic team over state-sponsored doping.

"I've been very careful to say, 'Look, what prosecutors or anti-doping officials do, at least in our country, is completely separate from what a mayor or a city government is about. We're not involved at all."

On other issues, Garcetti:

- encouraged Rome to remain in the 2024 race despite current opposition from new mayor Virginia Raggi, who says the city has bigger priorities at the moment. Garcetti said he has been in touch with Raggi's office to urge Rome to stay in.

"You can fix your problems first, but that doesn't mean you have to exclude great opportunities like the Olympics," he said.

- embraced the five new sports approved by the IOC for the 2020 Tokyo Games - baseball/softball, surfing, skateboarding, karate and sport climbing. While they have been added for Tokyo only, Garcetti said he would hope they could also be included in Los Angeles.

"Skateboarding and surfing, those are synonymous with LA," he said. "If we're lucky enough to win, I would absolutely see us continuing those sports."

- confirmed that the new NFL stadium being built for the Los Angeles Rams would be used for the Olympics if the city wins the bid. Rams owner Stan Kroenke is helping to build a new $2.6 billion retractable roof stadium in Inglewood, California, scheduled to be completed in 2019.

The new stadium could be considered for hosting the opening and closing ceremonies. The Coliseum would host the track and field competition.

"We've not yet defined how we'll use the stadium but we're very excited to use the stadium," Garcetti said. "Stand by, but we're talking with the Rams, Stan Kroenke, about the best way."

It would be quite fun to watch if Trump wins. So worth it to just watch Garcetti, LA24 and USOC squirm and twist.

The damaged Olympic brand is already faded in the US, just look at NBCs ratings. We're just waiting for the USOC to find out.

On August 6, 2016 at 7:58 PM, FYI said:

I don't think that it has much to do with being a "superpower" hosting (which I wouldn't necessarily classify the U.K. as such really), but moreso that a lot of Americans can identity themselves more with Britain than they can with Brazil. And therefore perhaps not as much interest was there for the Rio 2016 OC. Not to mention, but how many more live streaming options are there available now than there were four years ago. That also probably ate into NBC's ratings this time around. And that's probably gonna get worse for Tokyo 2020, especially with the HUGE time difference with the U.S. there. NBC will probably be kicking themselves then for paying so much for the broadcast rights. 

Plus, considering in the Portuguese language, the U.S. Team walked into the stadium much earlier last night than they did in London 2012. So many Americans probably tuned out soon thereafter. Still, over 30 million Americans watched last night. Not to shabby considering some of those previous factors. And also still higher numbers than Athens 2004 & even higher (ironically enough) than Sydney 2000 (nearly double).

Yeah they did say that the streaming options are up since they've improved in the last 4 years. However I must admit I feel there's been a lack of excitement around here. In my small bubble here in LA I feel like I'm the only one talking about it. Don't know how your circle of friends are taking it all in.

No.  the argument is that Europe has lost interest in HOSTING the Olympics because multiple cities and countries want nothing to do with the IOC.  That's why it's significant to them to have major cities like Paris and Rome in the running.  Those 2 alone make this the strongest effort Europe has put forth probably since the 2012 bids.  And yea, it's noteworthy that ratings for these Olympics are way down from London.  Not sure that means much in the context of the 2024 bid, especially since the IOC has their contract with NBC locked in through 2032.

BTW.. very surprised you haven't "noticed" a couple of interviews that have aired with Janet Evans who has been talking about LA 2024.  

I think London was riding this timely wave of positive press and worldwide attention leading up to 2012 regarding everything British such as the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, Will and Kate's wedding, and British artists such as Adele and One Direction garnering a media love fest. Public interest of British pop culture was high in 2012 and the London Olympics was the crest of it all, even Harry patiently waited til after the Olympics for another scandal when he showed the world his bum. 

Brazil on the other hand has been riding the opposite wave of negative events and media attention regarding their country and the Olympics in general leading up to 2016. From public backlash, recession, Zika fears and polluted waters on the Brazil end to bid cities dropping out, ballooning costs of hosting, and doping scandals on the Olympic end, it's been a perfect storm. So all in all, public interest has been soured toward Brazil and these Olympics, which could be causing the lower viewership. 

Just as Sydney and London mirrored in execution and legacies from their Olympics, it looks like Brazil has so far taken the Athens route (delayed construction, empty seats, economic and political turmoil) and we'll just have to wait and see what the post Olympics has in store, but so far during the games just as Athens did, Rio is pulling it together. I think come 2024 whether it's Paris or LA, after a tiring 3 consecutive games in Asia, the Olympics will have a different, probably less celebratory but more optimistic tone with renewed public interest. 

10 minutes ago, RuFF said:

... And multiple cities in the United States haven't lost interest in hosting the games, either. Like Boston, or New York, or Chicago. Your argument is pretty deflated. But just for kicks, replace Europe with United States and Paris and Rome with Los Angeles in your own statement and see if it mysteriously fits. 

Just tried that.  And no, definitely does not fit.  Not even close.  Good for your list of cities that have lost interest.  How about the cities in the United States that are interested in hosting the Olympics that the USOC solicited when they were looking for a 2024 bidder.  San Francisco and DC, among others.  Kinda makes your list of 3 there moot, doesn't it.  NYC took their shot for 2012 probably knowing they wouldn't be back.  Similar for Chicago.  Boston (which of course was initially chosen over LA as the US candidate for 2024, so thank them for being such a dumpster fire for allow LA back in) was an ill-advised selection in the first place.

Now look at Europe.  Sweden had a bid for 2022 and then dropped it due to a lack of support.  Ditto for Poland.  Norway practically had the Olympics handed to them, and they still told the IOC to go f*ck themselves.  Then for 2024, Germany had a bid on the table that got killed by a referendum.  The only U.S. city which is comparable to any of those is Boston and again, they probably shouldn't have been put forward in the first place.

So yea, not quite the same as it is with your cute little reverse psychology there.  When a US city loses interest, there's always another city right there behind them.  Try applying that logic to Europe and see if it fits.  Here's a hint.. it won't

• Like 1

UCLA's North Athletic Field, currently a practice field for UCLA football, is set to become the Wallis Annenberg Stadium which will be the new home for UCLA's men's and women's soccer teams. Permanent seating will be installed for 3,000 with capability for expansion. Makes much more sense as to why this was chosen as the field hockey venue. It also follows a recent trend of NCAA schools constructing permanent venues for their soccer teams rather than sharing with the track and field teams

31 minutes ago, stryker said:

UCLA's North Athletic Field, currently a practice field for UCLA football, is set to become the Wallis Annenberg Stadium which will be the new home for UCLA's men's and women's soccer teams. Permanent seating will be installed for 3,000 with capability for expansion. Makes much more sense as to why this was chosen as the field hockey venue. It also follows a recent trend of NCAA schools constructing permanent venues for their soccer teams rather than sharing with the track and field teams

Well the stadium is also way more versatile than a track and field stadium. Plus a place like UCLA a soccer stadium will get more use out of it, since it also can be used for rugby sevens and UCLA has a strong rugby sevens program.

On August 8, 2016 at 5:30 PM, bythebay said:

I think London was riding this timely wave of positive press and worldwide attention leading up to 2012 regarding everything British such as the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, Will and Kate's wedding, and British artists such as Adele and One Direction garnering a media love fest. Public interest of British pop culture was high in 2012 and the London Olympics was the crest of it all, even Harry patiently waited til after the Olympics for another scandal when he showed the world his bum. 

Brazil on the other hand has been riding the opposite wave of negative events and media attention regarding their country and the Olympics in general leading up to 2016. From public backlash, recession, Zika fears and polluted waters on the Brazil end to bid cities dropping out, ballooning costs of hosting, and doping scandals on the Olympic end, it's been a perfect storm. So all in all, public interest has been soured toward Brazil and these Olympics, which could be causing the lower viewership. 

Just as Sydney and London mirrored in execution and legacies from their Olympics, it looks like Brazil has so far taken the Athens route (delayed construction, empty seats, economic and political turmoil) and we'll just have to wait and see what the post Olympics has in store, but so far during the games just as Athens did, Rio is pulling it together. I think come 2024 whether it's Paris or LA, after a tiring 3 consecutive games in Asia, the Olympics will have a different, probably less celebratory but more optimistic tone with renewed public interest. 

The test for Rio is going to be after the Olympics are over. I touched on this in another thread. If they have a ton of white elephants (Future Arena, Friends Arena, Cariocas Arenas, Olympic Aquatics Stadium, Olympic Village), then I think on the heels of Sochi and the likelihood of a ton of white elephant venues in Pyeongchang, then I think the IOC is going to face even bigger challenges then what they faced when they were left with Beijing and Almaty for 2022. Even more countries will think twice about bidding. You will always have the dictatorships that can promise the world to the IOC regardless of public opinion. But in democratic countries where taxpayers hold sway the IOC is going to have to make concessions with regards to compactness and venue capacity.

16 hours ago, stryker said:

The test for Rio is going to be after the Olympics are over. I touched on this in another thread. If they have a ton of white elephants (Future Arena, Friends Arena, Cariocas Arenas, Olympic Aquatics Stadium, Olympic Village), then I think on the heels of Sochi and the likelihood of a ton of white elephant venues in Pyeongchang, then I think the IOC is going to face even bigger challenges then what they faced when they were left with Beijing and Almaty for 2022. Even more countries will think twice about bidding. You will always have the dictatorships that can promise the world to the IOC regardless of public opinion. But in democratic countries where taxpayers hold sway the IOC is going to have to make concessions with regards to compactness and venue capacity.

I agree with you that the test for Rio is going to be their legacy. London has developed a very sound legacy for their games and I think the success of London is what brought some European bidders back to the table in 2024. Even Hamburg was an initial bid for 2024. However, I disagree that Pyeongchang will have tons of white elephants. Their bid had lots of plans for the stadiums in Ganguang and around Korea. I do think the use of temporary stadiums and stadiums that can be relatively easily deconstructed and rebuilt in other cities has been a positive development in Olympic legacies due in large part, I feel, to Athens and Beijing's white elephants. The Olympics clearly have a problem with the scale of the games that most countries are unable to put forward a bid for political, economic, and public opinion reasons and the only nations bidding are the likes of Putin, Erdogan, and China. Rio has been really disappointing and I'm looking forward to finally moving past them and really focusing on Korea and Japan over the next 4 years. I expect Tokyo to show everyone that they should've hosted in 2016.

On 8/9/2016 at 9:24 PM, stryker said:

The test for Rio is going to be after the Olympics are over. I touched on this in another thread. If they have a ton of white elephants (Future Arena, Friends Arena, Cariocas Arenas, Olympic Aquatics Stadium, Olympic Village), 

But hey, the abandoned stadia in Athens are now providing shelter for the thousands of refugees that cannot move on.   Build them and they will come -- to Greece, the homeland of the Olympic Games no less.  

OMFG - what a bombastic piece of crap full of reproof & "overselling"! Besides, who can really take an article seriously that can't even get simple facts right, like "in 1976 'Montreal' accepted hosting the Games at the last minute after Denver dropped out." :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, RuFF said:

Couldn't agree more. Eric Garcetti is an incredible guy and going to be a huge asset for LA2024. 

“The guy is a rock star, absolute rock star,” Probst said. “There’s not one IOC member who didn’t come away super impressed and say, ‘That guy is special.’ He is just an incredible asset for this bid.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/09/los-angeles-mayor-eric-garcetti-2024-vision-ioc/88467010/

Phew.. I was starting to worried that something happened to you.  I saw this 2 days ago.  Was concerned about your safety that you hadn't shared it with us yet!

Yea, like FYI said, it's a little over the top.  So of all the IOC members Garcetti met, every single one of them were super impressed and thought he's special?  I know that's not you saying that and I don't doubt for a second he's doing great things for the bid, but again easy with the sell job.  It's possible to praise the guy without getting into the "zOMG, he's the most awesome guy ever!!"

Ahahah. Brilliant. Let's not wait 2017 and award the 2024 Games to LA right now! I mean, the guy is a freaking ROCK STAR!

Interestingly, all the strong aspects of the LA bid listed here also work for the Paris bid. I'm glad that at least in the French articles about Paris 2024 they mention LA's strong bid.

And we're the arrogant ones...

• Like 1