Bid team to promote Los Angeles 2024 in Rio

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — The Latest on the Rio Games (all times local to Rio de Janeiro):

6 p.m.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti will lead a 25-person delegation to Rio de Janeiro to promote the city's bid for the 2024 Olympics.

The delegation also includes bid chairman Casey Wasserman, CEO Gene Sykes and vice chair Janet Evans.

American IOC members Larry Probst, Anita DeFrantz and Angela Ruggiero, along with U.S. Olympic Committee CEO Scott Blackmun, will also be involved in LA's bid promotion during the Rio de Janeiro Games.

The bid committee says the team will meet with International Olympic Committee leaders and sports federation officials.

Los Angeles, seeking to bring the Summer Games to the U.S. for the first time since Atlanta hosted the 1996 Olympics, is competing against Paris, Rome and Budapest, Hungary. The IOC will select the host city in September 2017.

French President Francois Hollande and Italian Premier Matteo Renzi will also be in Rio to promote the Paris and Rome bids

AP

http://summergames.ap.org/article/latest-germanys-zverev-withdraws-olympics

I'm getting so nervous that LA could win. This is sooo gross imagining the IOC slinking into LA to start making demands and sucking our tits dry. LA is way to messy right now to be distracted by this clusterfuck clown car of the USOC and IOC, keep the Olympics in Europe where you fit in and are more welcome. Plus the Olympics are like a Pokemon lure for terrorists........one of these games is going to get nuts and it needs to be far away from the United States.

p.s. in SF at the moment, my hometown has become such a joke....this place is a shadow of what it was, and if you are pissed about posting that bum-lady in Rio well you will be thrilled to know there are tons of similar zombies roaming all the streets in San Fran, liberal policies have ruined this city. LA is not far behind. 

Edited by paul
  • Like 2

You might as well get over your Olymphobia now, cuz if L.A. doesn't win 2024, then they'll definitely get 2028. The IOC I'm sure will coax the USOC for a 2028 if need be, citing that the timing is virtually theirs for the taking. So start your treatment now, cuz it's gonna be needed regardless. 

2 hours ago, paul said:

p.s. in SF at the moment, my hometown has become such a joke....this place is a shadow of what it was, and if you are pissed about posting that bum-lady in Rio well you will be thrilled to know there are tons of similar zombies roaming all the streets in San Fran, liberal policies have ruined this city. LA is not far behind. 

How have liberal policies (and which liberal policies) ruined San Francisco? 

5 hours ago, paul said:

I'm getting so nervous that LA could win. This is sooo gross imagining the IOC slinking into LA to start making demands and sucking our tits dry. LA is way to messy right now to be distracted by this clusterfuck clown car of the USOC and IOC, keep the Olympics in Europe where you fit in and are more welcome. Plus the Olympics are like a Pokemon lure for terrorists........one of these games is going to get nuts and it needs to be far away from the United States.

Mehh I agree partially. I don't want carpool lanes to become "olympic" lanes, and shitty guerrilla marketing laws to come in, but I'm open to them coming. I live near USC so if I could score tickets I could walk there, other than that I'm kinda iffy.

15 hours ago, paul said:

Like FYI said, odds are pretty good there's going to be an Olympics in LA in the next 12 years.  Best you can hope for probably is for the IOC's reputation to be so damaged that they have no choice but to relax their requirements of the host city.  But yea, I wouldn't count on that happening.

4 hours ago, RuFF said:

I wouldn't count on the IOC relaxing their requirements but their reputation and external forces of the IOC are already moving in that direction. The Rio Games are probably going to look spectacular on TV but the aftermath will probably lend itself for even more Rio troubles to be tied to having hosted the Olympics and even more worsening of the IOC's reputation. Doping is probably going to damage the games themselves more, too. But that's all speculative.

What's going on in Rio is certainly not a cautionary tale that LA needs to be concerned about.  But between Rio, Beijing, and Athens (plus Sochi on the Winter side), that's 3 of 4 hosts to have had some very negative effects from hosting the Olympics, some stories being more well known that others.  All of it points to the IOC as an organization that lacks integrity that many cities won't want to deal with.  LA's organizers clearly don't see it that way right now, but they need to be careful where the IOC's ego will put them in some uncomfortable positions if the IOC continues operating the way they do.  The plan in place may help LA avoid some of those pitfalls, but they still need take heed of who they're dealing with, especially if they win and sign their names to that host city contract.  And yes, all of this applies just as much to Paris or whomever else is bidding now and in the future.

2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

What's going on in Rio is certainly not a cautionary tale that LA needs to be concerned about.  But between Rio, Beijing, and Athens (plus Sochi on the Winter side), that's 3 of 4 hosts to have had some very negative effects from hosting the Olympics, some stories being more well known that others.  All of it points to the IOC as an organization that lacks integrity that many cities won't want to deal with.  LA's organizers clearly don't see it that way right now, but they need to be careful where the IOC's ego will put them in some uncomfortable positions if the IOC continues operating the way they do.  The plan in place may help LA avoid some of those pitfalls, but they still need take heed of who they're dealing with, especially if they win and sign their names to that host city contract.  And yes, all of this applies just as much to Paris or whomever else is bidding now and in the future.

I agree 100%

Paris, LA, Rome, and Budapest need to proceed with caution.

Just now, zekekelso said:

Rio has had very negative effects from hosting??? Dafcuk? The games haven't even started yet. 

Some of you are as bad as the bash-happy media.

The damage to the IOC's image is done.

Displacement of entire communities, substabdard Olympic Village, Mayor declaring a state of "calamity", polluted waters....the list goes on.

Love these people who declare a games a "failure" before the gates even open up for the OC. And hang on every word from a thousands strong media posse wandering around the city and filing on how every stubbed toe is a major scandal - because there isn't anything else happening yet but the news desk back home is demanding copy.

Rio's not without its issues - but then again, who expected a games without some rough edges. I much prefer that to a perfectly organised an perfectly presented but otherwise sterile "bubble" games like Sochi. Wait till the cauldron goes out in the Closing ceremony before issuing the report card - you might find a lot of people actually end up enjoying them. I still expect the Latin spirit and the gorgeous settings will still make this a memorable edition.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Rio has had very negative effects from hosting??? Dafcuk? The games haven't even started yet. 

Some of you are as bad as the bash-happy media.

2 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Love these people who declare a games a "failure" before the gates even open up for the OC. And hang on every word from a thousands strong media posse wandering around the city and filing on how every stubbed toe is a major scandal - because there isn't anything else happening yet but the news desk back home is demanding copy.

Rio's not without its issues - but then again, who expected a games without some rough edges. I much prefer that to a perfectly organised an perfectly presented but otherwise sterile "bubble" games like Sochi. Wait till the cauldron goes out in the Closing ceremony before issuing the report card - you might find a lot of people actually end up enjoying them. I still expect the Latin spirit and the gorgeous settings will still make this a memorable edition.

Sounds like you're trying to sensationalize those issues more than I am.  I think we're more in agreement than you're letting on.  But some of this a lot more serious than being rough around the edges.  Nor am I falling for the media's line of what is going on.

There are 2 elements are play here.  There's the Rio the world will see this month.  It will be full of beautiful images and scenery and athletes on display.  And for the most part, talk of crummy accommodations and doping scandals and all the other usual talking points will take a back seat during the games as they almost always do.  I believe that all will go very well, as it almost always does, and if we're issing a report card based on that, the marks will likely be pretty strong.

But then the cauldron is going to go out and Rio and Brazil are going to be left with the aftermath.  Those cameras, which OBS will likely have made a point not to point at the favelas or the polluted waters Rio promised to clean up, will either be turned off and/or will start showing those images again.  So yes zeke, I know I was talking in the past tense about an event that hasn't taken place yet, but the negative effects of these Olympics are irreversible.  And sure like Athens, there are some civic improvements to speak of, but like Athens, what are we going to be saying about Rio a year from now or 10 years from now?  What's that report card going to look like then.  That's what I was referring to when I said negative effects.  Not some journalists complaining about accommodations or Rols' Australian athletes causing a stink about staying in the village.  What about Rio and it's citizens?  

It will beg the question of whether or not the city is better off or worse off for having hosting the Olympics.  Obviously certain political and economic hardships were completely out of their control, but part of it will circle back to the IOC's demands and whether or not the city caused problems for themselves but agreeing to host the Olympics in the first place.  Again, not saying that would even come close to happening in Los Angeles since I doubt anyone will be displaced from their homes without compensation.  But you're being naive if you think that hasn't gone on in Rio, and that's forever going to be a part of their Olympic legacy.

• Like 2

^Yeah, well. Maybe, but it's not like Obama is the one running in this 2016 presidential election. But then again, after the complete snub the IOC gave him back in 2009 in Copenhagen (where Rio ultimately won), he might've said if anyone had asked, "why the fu@k should I go to Rio for!"

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

We only got a lesser (Chelsea) Clinton when Sydney was having its party. It's tough, I suppose, when the SOGs always collide with election years (usually at Convention time).

Did Obama go to London? Bush to Beijing?

If memory serves, Michelle Obama was in London.  Her husband was not.  Bush was at the Opening Ceremony in Beijing in 2008.

1 hour ago, Jesse Saenz said:

The abscence of the US President at Rio may not look good for LA. Hollande is their to stand firmly behind Paris.

I know we are smack in the middle of an election, but damn, shitty timing.

Don't think it means much of anything 1 way or the other for LA.  As long as the LA folks are there on the ground making contacts and shaking hands, the absence of Obama probably won't resonate when it comes time to vote a year from now.

On 8/1/2016 at 8:00 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

Are they going to bump you off the Diamond lanes -- considering you live w/in walking distance of USC?   :blink: 

I work in Glendale though, lol. so I'd have to drive right through the middle of it, that's if I still live in this apartment, and still working in the same office in 8 years. I'm mostly supportive of LA2024 though! 

Skateboarding and Surfing amongst the 5 sports added for the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

Skateboarding in Venice Beach? Surfing in Santa Monica or Malibu??? Damn, that would be so cool.

IOC approves five sports for Tokyo, including baseball/softball

USA TODAY Sports4:17 p.m. EDT August 3, 2016

2016-8-3 thomas bach

(Photo: Michael Madrid, USA TODAY Sports)

RIO DE JANEIRO — The International Olympic Committee approved five new sports for the Tokyo Games in 2020, bringing back baseball and softball for the first time since the 2008 Beijing Games.

The IOC also approved karate, skateboarding, rock climbing and surfing as new sports as part of its IOC Session in advance of the Rio Olympics.

The decision comes as a first under Agenda 2020, a set of recommendations meant to make bidding for and hosting the Games more affordable and sustainable. It allows host cities to propose new sports for their Olympics.

The decision will add 18 events across and 474 athletes to the program. The Tokyo Games will now feature 33 sports and about 11,000 athletes, compared with the usual number of 28 sports and 10,500 athletes.

As talk increased that baseball would most likely return to the Games, Major League Baseball players weren't completely supportive.

"I wore 'USA' across my chest one time in college, and it was an awesome experience. It'd be fun to do that again," Chicago Cubs star Kris Bryant told the Associated Press this summer. "But baseball season's so long the way it is. You play 162 games and to add another two weeks, I don't know if it would be the best decision for ourselves and our bodies."

Because the Tokyo Olympics are from July 24-Aug. 9, MLB would have to interrupt its schedule, a 162-game-in-183-day grind that has little flexibility unless owners and the players' association are willing to cut games — and lose revenue.

It's not nearly as complicated for the other sports on the list.

“I’m just excited for the opportunity to represent my country on the global stage in Japan at such a historic event,” John John Florence, consistently acknowledged as the best overall surfer in the world, said in a statement.

“We spend a lot of time traveling the globe and competing against the very best surfers from around the world on the World Surf League’s Championship Tour,”Carissa Moore, the 3X world surfing champion, explains, “so I don’t think it will change the competition format too much. It’s a great way to elevate the sport I love and share it with people from all around the world.”

Contributing: Rachel Axon of USA TODAY Sports; and The Associated Press