4 minutes ago, Dylanlip said:

Erm, daytime sessions for athletics are in the sun. There are more reasons for a roof then just holding lights. That's why I mentioned it.

Yes, some Athletics sessions are held during daylight hours.  But the IOC will NOT have any problem with however LA Memorial is configured.  It will be the FIRST and ONLY extant stadium in the world to host THREE Olympic Games by 2028.  It is what it is; and the IOC will buy that.  Remember, there is the Agenda 2020 in effect.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

1 minute ago, baron-pierreIV said:

It will be the FIRST and ONLY extant stadium in the world to host THREE Olympic Games by 2028.  It is what it is; and the IOC will buy that.  Remember, there is the Agenda 2020 in effect.  

Super confident, huh. Was pointing out basic stadium features that will no doubt be lacking, whether or not they host. Pretty clear comparisons can be drawn now between the Coliseum and Stade de France for hosting ability (I'm sure attendees won't like obstructed seats much), whether or not the IOC cares about the comparison. BUT remember, LA isn't the only bid following Agenda 2020.

1 hour ago, Dylanlip said:

Super confident, huh. Was pointing out basic stadium features that will no doubt be lacking, whether or not they host. Pretty clear comparisons can be drawn now between the Coliseum and Stade de France for hosting ability (I'm sure attendees won't like obstructed seats much), whether or not the IOC cares about the comparison. BUT remember, LA isn't the only bid following Agenda 2020.

Actually Stade de France is also plagued with bad sightlines in certain parts.  So, it's a wash.  

4 hours ago, phandrosis said:

It appears that they are going to retain the curvy bit of the stands, so I think they are at least trying to retain as much of the current field as they can.

SyFrKld.jpg

The structures look a little similar (barely), but remember.. we're talking about a swimming pool here.  The stands of the existing baseball stadium go to ground level.  So in that rendering, either those stands at the end are raised well above ground level or the pool is dug into the ground.  Either way, I don't see how they overlay that over the existing baseball stadium without major changes.  They might as well put this structure in a parking lot somewhere rather than trying to use an existing field.  Maybe there's something I'm missing here, but I don't see how this works and keeps the integrity of the existing venue.

3 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

The stands of the existing baseball stadium go to ground level.  So in that rendering, either those stands at the end are raised well above ground level or the pool is dug into the ground.  Either way, I don't see how they overlay that over the existing baseball stadium without major changes.  They might as well put this structure in a parking lot somewhere rather than trying to use an existing field.  Maybe there's something I'm missing here, but I don't see how this works and keeps the integrity of the existing venue.

Maybe it's just a drawing, and not meant to be architecturally accurate.  

2 hours ago, RuFF said:

I'm not sure displacement of college football is a huge issue. First, the season begins late August and doesn't really kick off until September, and second because games can be scheduled away and/or at the Rosebowl. Considering the Rosebowl has recently received a renovation as well and has similar capacity and won't have any temporary installments, I can't imagine this a big issue. The LAFC stadium and stadium of champions could fill the absence of the Coliseum, too. 

It's an issue for USC (albeit one their obligated to deal with as per their contract to control the Coliseum).  It's going to take awhile to build the temporary overlay for the Coliseum.  And it's probably going to take a while to clean up, so that probably rules out playing any of the 2024 football season (and who knows if 2023 is affected) at the Coliseum.  Yes, there are other places they can play, but when you've just spent $270 million on a renovation and you're not allowed to use that venue for a year, that's far from ideal.  Playing games at the Rose Bowl (unlikely) or City of Champions stadium is a solution.  It's not necessarily a good one for USC.

9 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Maybe it's just a drawing, and not meant to be architecturally accurate.  

If the actual venue comes even close to resembling what's in that drawing, I still find it hard to imagine how they can keep the integrity of the baseball stadium.  This feels like much more than just a temporary overlay that can be removed after the fact.

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

The structures look a little similar (barely), but remember.. we're talking about a swimming pool here.  The stands of the existing baseball stadium go to ground level.  So in that rendering, either those stands at the end are raised well above ground level or the pool is dug into the ground.  Either way, I don't see how they overlay that over the existing baseball stadium without major changes.  They might as well put this structure in a parking lot somewhere rather than trying to use an existing field.  Maybe there's something I'm missing here, but I don't see how this works and keeps the integrity of the existing venue.

I'm guessing -- there is the closeness to the Uytengsu pool (which serves as the warm-up pool) + possibly the existing shower and change rooms there for Olympic use.  Keeping the curved stands behind home plate mirrors the Peristyle end of the Coliseum; and maybe USC has wanted new stands for Dedeaux, so loaning it for Olympic swimming for 8 months, is a win-win situation for all.   (I wonder where Jesse Owens; Oak Tree, though, is on campus?)  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

5 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

What are you talking about?  Ceremonies are always now held at dark because it is (1) cooler; and (2) you get the maximum dramatic effect from the theatrical lighting.  

The LA Opening Ceremony won't be held in the dark.  It stays light in LA until after 9pm in July, which is after midnight Eastern time.  Since NBC will want the ceremony live in Eastern time, it will probably start around 5 or 5:30pm in LA, so all but maybe the very end of the ceremony will take place in daylight.  Likewise for the track finals, which will likely start at 5pm Pacific and finish before sundown, just like in 1984.

1 hour ago, RuFF said:

That may all be true but at the same time I'm not sure USC is going to be mad when their university once again receives international exposure. The Olympics are deeply rooted into that University's fabric and growth, and just like the general populace of LA, USC is gung ho about playing host to an Olympiad. 

They're not going to be mad.  There are obviously plenty of positives to hosting the Olympics, but there's still a lot they'll have to deal as a result, particularly with the football and baseball teams.  Easy for you to say USC will be gung ho about an Olympics (which I'm not doubting for a second), not so much for the folks in their athletic department, not to mention their students if they have to travel elsewhere for football games for a year.

If they can pull it off, I think the idea for the aquatics venue is really cool.  I assume the existing stands and infrastructure will be demolished since the diving well has to be a minimum of 5m deep.  I like that the design mirrors the Coliseum and that they can use Uytengsu as a legacy venue from 1984, even if it's just as a training pool.

16 minutes ago, Barcelona_'92 said:

The LA Opening Ceremony won't be held in the dark.  It stays light in LA until after 9pm in July, which is after midnight Eastern time.  Since NBC will want the ceremony live in Eastern time, it will probably start around 5 or 5:30pm in LA, so all but maybe the very end of the ceremony will take place in daylight.  Likewise for the track finals, which will likely start at 5pm Pacific and finish before sundown, just like in 1984.

4 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

For Vancouver, the ceremony started at 6PM local time and was broadcast live on the East Coast. 

6pm in Vancouver in February is after sunset.  Much easier to have a Winter Olympics opening ceremony fully at night, not to mention that it's shorter than the Summer version.  Look at what Sochi did to have their covered roof for the proper effect with darkness.

Sunset in LA in late July is around 8pm.  Everyone who's familiar with the image of Rafer Johnson climbing those steps knows he did it in the daylight.  I imagine the organizers would want the ceremony to finish when it's dark, but they probably have no choice but to start no later than 6pm unless they want it going really late.  So between them and NBC, it'll be interesting to find that balance.  I know London started their ceremony at 9pm local so they could have more of it after sunset.  LA likely won't have that luxury.

Olympic executives cash in on a ‘Movement’ that keeps athletes poor-Washington Post

At the very top of “the Movement” sits the International Olympic Committee, a nonprofit run by a “volunteer” president who gets an annual “allowance” of $251,000 and lives rent-free in a five-star hotel and spa in Switzerland.

At the very bottom of “the Movement” — beneath the IOC members who travel first-class and get paid thousands of dollars just to attend the Olympics, beneath the executives who make hundreds of thousands to organize the Games, beneath the international sports federations, the national sport federations and the national Olympic committees and all of their employees — are the actual athletes whose moments of triumph and pain will flicker on television screens around the globe starting Friday.

The picture that emerges is a multibillion-dollar entertainment industry whose entertainers are, in this country, often expected to raise their own income or live in poverty. There is no comprehensive data on U.S. Olympic athlete pay, but information collected by a nonprofit last year from 150 track and field athletes ranked in the top 10 in the country in their events found an average income of $16,553. Even USOC officials concede that, with the exceptions of the handful of megastars such as Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte who rake in big endorsement money and those who play sports with lucrative professional leagues, most U.S. Olympic athletes cannot earn enough from their sports to make a living.

Bob Balk is a former Paralympic canoe athlete who attended the 2012 London Games as an IOC volunteer and also received per diem money. In a recent phone interview, he recalled his amazement when he learned how much money he and other volunteers were getting to attend the Olympics.

Every morning, Balk recalled, a crowd of IOC members and volunteers gathered in a hotel room in London to collect their daily spending money.

“They had a $100-bill-counting machine, and people were standing in line to get their stacks of hundred-dollar bills,” Balk said. “It was crazy.”

Balk, like other IOC members and volunteers, had his flight and hotel bills covered, a car service to get around London, and a bevy of free meals. When Balk got home, he still had $10,000 in per diem cash, he said, which he just deposited in the bank.

While many athletes struggle to pay their rent or buy groceries, the billions the Rio Games will generate will flow into the paychecks and extravagant perks enjoyed by IOC members, USOC staffers, and employees and volunteers with the hundreds of sports organizations that comprise “the Movement.”

Since 2009, tax records show, the USOC’s payroll has expanded from $39 milllion to $49 million, and the number of USOC employees making $100,000 or more has nearly doubled, rising from 66 to 121. The USOC’s total headcount has remained mostly stable over the time period, records show. Blackmun is just paying his employees more.

Edited by paul

13 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Sunset in LA in late July is around 8pm.  Everyone who's familiar with the image of Rafer Johnson climbing those steps knows he did it in the daylight.  I imagine the organizers would want the ceremony to finish when it's dark, but they probably have no choice but to start no later than 6pm unless they want it going really late.  So between them and NBC, it'll be interesting to find that balance.  I know London started their ceremony at 9pm local so they could have more of it after sunset.  LA likely won't have that luxury.

I wonder if they'll considering having the ceremonies at the new Rams stadium to take advantage of the roof.  I know the stadium technically is not going to be in LA proper, but having the ceremonies there would solve the darkness issue and would allow for more spectators, since the Coliseum will be reduced to about 65,000.  I'm not in favor of this option - the Coliseum is an iconic venue and would be the first stadium to host three opening ceremonies - but I imagine the Rams stadium will at least be considered by the organizers.

5 minutes ago, Barcelona_'92 said:

I wonder if they'll considering having the ceremonies at the new Rams stadium to take advantage of the roof.  I know the stadium technically is not going to be in LA proper, but having the ceremonies there would solve the darkness issue and would allow for more spectators, since the Coliseum will be reduced to about 65,000.  I'm not in favor of this option - the Coliseum is an iconic venue and would be the first stadium to host three opening ceremonies - but I imagine the Rams stadium will at least be considered by the organizers.

I don't know how much that roof will help with the darkness issue.  Also remember that because the Coliseum is getting their temporary overlay, it'll be easier to configure that stadium to handle the ceremonies, as opposed to the Rams' stadium which will be under their control.

3 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Barcelona 92 brought up an excellent point re the starting time for an OC in LA.  Solution:  NBC will have to petition Congress to adjust the time zones so they can start the Ceremony in the dark.  The time zones can then be corrected once the 17 days are done.  B)

3 hours ago, Barcelona_'92 said:

Another good point.  It all depends if the new Rams stadium will offer more ease in putting on a knock-out show.  They were hampered by only ONE entrance to the infield at Memorial.  Since Rams will be fully domed, then that would also offer more aerial theatricalities.   

Does anyone know how to get the surfboard pins?  The are really nice and quite innovative.  If it has been said before, I am sorry to post I am still getting used to the boards.

On 18 July 2016 at 9:03 PM, JesseSaenz said:

I really, really, really want these LA2024 surfboard pins!

They were just introduced in Atlanta at the 20th anniversary ceremony of the 96' games.

LA's marketing just for the bid is really doing a fantastic job.

LA24%2BSurfboard%2BOlympic%2BBid%2BPins.

13 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Actually Stade de France is also plagued with bad sightlines in certain parts.  So, it's a wash.  

i wouldn't say that at all. Some sight-lines aren't completely ideal in the SdF for athletics but from what I've read the addition of this huge, fugly corporate seating block in the Colosseum is going to result in a lot of blocked views. You only need to look at the render to see this! Imagine sitting to the left of the structure and looking right or visa versa. It's pretty obvious there will be a lot of blocked views.

On top of that, this venue in athletics mode will already be 15k smaller than the SdF.

Side by side, the SdF does look like a better venue to me for an athletics event.

I spent some time yesterday praising the decision to change the swimming venue, but I'm afraid the conversion of the Colosseum, which is out of LA24's hands, is going to leave them with some awkward comparisons to its rivals. Even if LA wasn't bidding for the Games it looks like an awful scheme - I'm not sure it's too much of an exaggeration to call it cultural vandalism.

Edited by Rob.

21 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

1) The new Rams stadium has terrible public transit access. I can't imagine it being used for a marquee event. 

Let alone a marquee event that requires them to transport every single athlete plus thousands of performers.  That there's a roof may or may not do much good for them based on the renderings we've seen.

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

The new Rams stadium has terrible public transit access. I can't imagine it being used for a marquee event.

Well, that's now.  That doesn't mean Inglewood and LA County would NOT re-route buses on big, important events, or run shuttle buses from the nearest Metro station.  And with the Forum right there, that too, could function as an auxiliary venue for Ceremonies.  If there's a will, there's a way.  For one thing, the site has tons MORE parking available than at LA Memorial.  

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Well, that's now.  That doesn't mean Inglewood and LA County would NOT re-route buses on big, important events, or run shuttle buses from the nearest Metro station.  And with the Forum right there, that too, could function as an auxiliary venue for Ceremonies.  If there's a will, there's a way.  For one thing, the site has tons MORE parking available than at LA Memorial.  

You're looking at this backwards.  Transportation issues could help determine what the most suitable venue for the ceremonies will be.  It's not a case of "there's a will to use the Rams' stadium" and then consider the issues later.  How many shuttle buses will you need to move 10,000 athletes, all the media, all the performers, and then have something left over for the spectators?  If they can improve access, that's a different story.  Without it.. not so much