20 years already! Its feels like it was yesterday.......

Right??? Oh man. Time flies.

Atlanta 96 where the first games I remember sitting down and watching. I was 10 at the time. 30 now. It's remarkable how quickly 20 years went by!

I was just talking about how incredible the LA24 marketing is. I was reading about the 2nd Angel City Games and the 20th Anniversary of the centennial games and I couldn't help but think how well refined the marketing is. It's top notch on so many fronts.

They have gone absolute full throttle with their marketing campaign. The quality of it is of the highest standard, which is interesting considering it is only the bid stage and may be as far as it gets.

I

I think this is an incredible testimate of the bid teams ability to market the games. I can see them receiving high consideration for youth out reach and branding. It's a huge tool to have in their arsenal considering what is unfolding with Sochi, doping and Rio. The aftermath of Rio is probably going to need serious damage control and this will carry some weight. The games themselves will probably be a success. I think the aftermath isn't looking very good. And I hate to say this and I hope it doesn't happen, but a terrorist attack could be devastating.

You know its bad when the people of Rio are warning people to stay out.

Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing major happens.

I really, really, really want these LA2024 surfboard pins!

They were just introduced in Atlanta at the 20th anniversary ceremony of the 96' games.

LA's marketing just for the bid is really doing a fantastic job.

They have gone absolute full throttle with their marketing campaign. The quality of it is of the highest standard, which is interesting considering it is only the bid stage and may be as far as it gets.

Dude.. keep it in your pants. I'm finding it difficult to believe that everything the LA2024 committee is doing is this praiseworthy as if every little thing they do is the greatest stroke of genius. Yea, the surfboard pins are nice. But quality of the highest standard? Let's reel it in here just a little bit.

You know its bad when the people of Rio are warning people to stay out.

Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing major happens.

And again.. why are there 2 of you?

I think this is an incredible testimate of the bid teams ability to market the games. I can see them receiving high consideration for youth out reach and branding. It's a huge tool to have in their arsenal considering what is unfolding with Sochi, doping and Rio. The aftermath of Rio is probably going to need serious damage control and this will carry some weight. The games themselves will probably be a success. I think the aftermath isn't looking very good. And I hate to say this and I hope it doesn't happen, but a terrorist attack could be devastating.

Surfboard pins are an incredible testament to marketing? Who exactly is being marketed to right now? The IOC will no doubt take note of each city's ability to connect with their population (although I doubt so many people are fawning over LA's marketing efforts so much as you and Jesse and Jesse are), but let's not pretend that somehow LA had this amazing breakthrough with a couple of pins, let alone that they should be compared to the messes that are Sochi and Rio. You keep making this argument that a poor showing by Rio somehow tilts the scales in favor of LA as if the IOC will need them again to save the day. Don't be so sure of that when there's legitimate competition out there. Again, it's foolish to pretend like Paris isn't looming out there just because you think LA is God's gift to Olympic bidding.

Surfboard pins are an incredible testament to marketing? Who exactly is being marketed to right now? The IOC will no doubt take note of each city's ability to connect with their population (although I doubt so many people are fawning over LA's marketing efforts so much as you and Jesse and Jesse are), but let's not pretend that somehow LA had this amazing breakthrough with a couple of pins, let alone that they should be compared to the messes that are Sochi and Rio. You keep making this argument that a poor showing by Rio somehow tilts the scales in favor of LA as if the IOC will need them again to save the day. Don't be so sure of that when there's legitimate competition out there. Again, it's foolish to pretend like Paris isn't looming out there just because you think LA is God's gift to Olympic bidding.

72 and Sunny is who was tapped to oversee the bids entire marketing campaign. They are real heavyweights in their field. The website that they created alone makes the other three look incredibly dated.

The logo animations in many of their clips are also more elaborate and the design of the logo itself received a lot of praise from designers for utilizing a method that was used a lot in the designing of Art Deco buildings.

Quaker, we are on an LA thread, you are free to disagree and roll your eyes at our excitement for LAs efforts.

Additionally, I (or anyone for that matter) is discrediting Paris.

The pins are great, and maybe we got excied to see what else they have in store seeing as how they now have Bob Iger on their team.

You hate our enthusiasm I get it, and I highly doubt your the only one, fine, but remember you are in the LA 2024 thread.

^^^ *not discrediting Paris.

For 2020 I think Istanbul had the strongest marketing, for 2016 it's hard to remember much, for 2012 Paris had stronger marketing for much of the campaign but London really pulled out all the stops in the final weeks.

Some of LA's videos and marketing ideas have looked very slick. Never lose sight of who your audience is though. LA24 is in a rather nice position of not needing to win over its city. If the work going on behind closed doors to convince the IOC is just as professional then LA could upset the odds. If it isn't, then the marketing is nothing more than PR fluff.

72 and Sunny is who was tapped to oversee the bids entire marketing campaign. They are real heavyweights in their field. The website that they created alone makes the other three look incredibly dated.

The logo animations in many of their clips are also more elaborate and the design of the logo itself received a lot of praise from designers for utilizing a method that was used a lot in the designing of Art Deco buildings.

Quaker, we are on an LA thread, you are free to disagree and roll your eyes at our excitement for LAs efforts.

Additionally, I (or anyone for that matter) is discrediting Paris.

The pins are great, and maybe we got excied to see what else they have in store seeing as how they now have Bob Iger on their team.

You hate our enthusiasm I get it, and I highly doubt your the only one, fine, but remember you are in the LA 2024 thread.

^^^ *not discrediting Paris.

So what you're trying to say is that I'm in the LA 2024 thread? I don't know, tough to tell sometimes though when I'm seeing posts about terror in France or the possibility of an attack in Rio, as we're trying to pretend to present those in the context of LA's bid instead of, you know, actually using other threads to talk about these things where they belong.

A lot of people here get all wrapped up in things like logos and websites and other minutiae we think is important. Most of it is window dressing though. If the LA2024 folks can use the whole of everything they're doing to show the IOC what they're capable of, that's not something I'm discounting. Still feels like you're insulated in this LA bubble where you're following everything they're doing and eating it all up and then looking at the other candidates websites that they look dated and think that means something.

So yes, I'm rolling my eyes at your excitement for LA's efforts, because it's too over the top at times. It almost defies belief. I get that LA supporters are going to speak positive of the city and celebrate their triumphs, but I almost don't buy this heavenly aura where everything they do is so calculatedly perfect. "OMG, surfboard pins, I absolutely have to get these!!" The thing is.. marketing efforts like that are going to draw in people like you. You'll buy almost anything they're selling. The rest of the crowd out there isn't so easy, particularly those 100 or so voters who actually make the decision on who hosts the 2024 Olympics.

I don't hate the enthusiasm. I hate the over-the-top enthusiasm where if I'm not in full agreement with your your vision of LA's bid, then somehow I become the enemy if I would dare to offer up the possibility that all these marketing efforts on the part of LA may not result in them winning. And I'm not trying to make a prediction, unlike some who think all this is futile on the part of LA and that they have no chance. But still, I having trouble believing your convictions that this marketing campaign by LA is so completely flawless.

So here's a challenge for you. Find a flaw. Show me something where LA's efforts are less than ideal or something where you think they could do better. I'm not asking you to put down their bid so much as it's about them being human. Offer up to the crowd here that you can see just a tiny part of their bid in a negative light and that there's room for improvement.

You're a fk'n idiot. You really think I am tying all their marketing efforts to surfboard pins? Clearly you haven't looked at their marketing well. Such a stupid comment. But I'm not going to break it down to you because you could give two shits about a serious discussion.

Oh please, like you actually want to have a serious discussion. You want to have *your* discussion. You just want to wax poetic about every little thing they're doing and if anyone offers up a hint to put all that into the context of this being a competition where LA is inevitably going to be compared to other cities, you want no part of that. LA is awesome, Paris is meh, and anyone who disagrees with that isn't seeing the transcendent awesomeness of the new LA. I've tried to have discussions with you, but you seem more interested in trolling and avoiding straying from your safe space. But go ahead, keep calling me quacker as if I'm supposed to be offended by that. I'm more than happy to have a serious discussion here, but that discussion implies that A.) not everyone will agree with you, particularly if the rhetoric is purposely over-the-top, B.) someone not being fully on board with your thoughts is not because they are stupid or lack insight, especially on a website like this where the community acts like a bunch of middle school children, and C.) you don't necessarily get to "control the conversation" where you decide the discourse completely at your own discretion. And yes, of course I'm taking that phrase out the context you normally use it. Why? Because I feel like it.

So what you're trying to say is that I'm in the LA 2024 thread? I don't know, tough to tell sometimes though when I'm seeing posts about terror in France or the possibility of an attack in Rio, as we're trying to pretend to present those in the context of LA's bid instead of, you know, actually using other threads to talk about these things where they belong.

A lot of people here get all wrapped up in things like logos and websites and other minutiae we think is important. Most of it is window dressing though. If the LA2024 folks can use the whole of everything they're doing to show the IOC what they're capable of, that's not something I'm discounting. Still feels like you're insulated in this LA bubble where you're following everything they're doing and eating it all up and then looking at the other candidates websites that they look dated and think that means something.

So yes, I'm rolling my eyes at your excitement for LA's efforts, because it's too over the top at times. It almost defies belief. I get that LA supporters are going to speak positive of the city and celebrate their triumphs, but I almost don't buy this heavenly aura where everything they do is so calculatedly perfect. "OMG, surfboard pins, I absolutely have to get these!!" The thing is.. marketing efforts like that are going to draw in people like you. You'll buy almost anything they're selling. The rest of the crowd out there isn't so easy, particularly those 100 or so voters who actually make the decision on who hosts the 2024 Olympics.

I don't hate the enthusiasm. I hate the over-the-top enthusiasm where if I'm not in full agreement with your your vision of LA's bid, then somehow I become the enemy if I would dare to offer up the possibility that all these marketing efforts on the part of LA may not result in them winning. And I'm not trying to make a prediction, unlike some who think all this is futile on the part of LA and that they have no chance. But still, I having trouble believing your convictions that this marketing campaign by LA is so completely flawless.

So here's a challenge for you. Find a flaw. Show me something where LA's efforts are less than ideal or something where you think they could do better. I'm not asking you to put down their bid so much as it's about them being human. Offer up to the crowd here that you can see just a tiny part of their bid in a negative light and that there's room for improvement.

Everything has a flaw quaker. Is LA's bid perfect? Absolutely not. Can one poke holes at it, OF COURSE!

For one it is not as centralized as many of the other bids.

I do find their marketing team impressive and I wanted the pins because I know they will not be released to the general public, especially in the case of a failed bid which we all know is a very possible scenario.

The sentiment seems to be that Paris will win with various people on this thread and others echoing that feeling.

I am trying not to get lost in all that and looking for where LA's bid does come in strong, and the LA thread seems like the most appropriate place for it.

And of course I am not an IOC member, no one on this forum is (presumably). I don't have a vote in the matter, so just let me be. Ignore my post, roll your eyes, and politely scroll past my comments.

You're constant nagging is a bit over the top if you ask me.

Let RuFF and I get all googly eyed over this **** and let us be, whether you find it ridiculous or not.

Everything has a flaw quaker. Is LA's bid perfect? Absolutely not. Can one poke holes at it, OF COURSE!

For one it is not as centralized as many of the other bids.

I do find their marketing team impressive and I wanted the pins because I know they will not be released to the general public, especially in the case of a failed bid which we all know is a very possible scenario.

The sentiment seems to be that Paris will win with various people on this thread and others echoing that feeling.

I am trying not to get lost in all that and looking for where LA's bid does come in strong, and the LA thread seems like the most appropriate place for it.

And of course I am not an IOC member, no one on this forum is (presumably). I don't have a vote in the matter, so just let me be. Ignore my post, roll your eyes, and politely scroll past my comments.

You're constant nagging is a bit over the top if you ask me.

Let RuFF and I get all googly eyed over this **** and let us be, whether you find it ridiculous or not.

*your

Los Angeles would be able to handle the games. I don't believe any Olympics can be purely privately financed in the modern era, but spending $600 million in public money is a far cry from the spending of recent summer games.

The problem is that cities other than those that have all (or almost all) of the capital projects in place cannot match that. Even New York, the biggest and best city in North America, probably could not drum up the money to host the Olympics.

I am being exiled to a tiny fishing village in Alaska for the rest of the Summer after this weekend, so I won't be able to watch the Rio games. And that makes me sad, because the basic core of the Olympics (showing off Brazil to the world and bringing together the athletes of the world) is still great. I want cities like Stockholm, Vienna, Durban, and Santiago to be able to host the Olympics. If the Olympics were worthless we could forget about them. They need to be saved from corrupt sporting bodies because the world needs the Olympics.

Edited by Nacre
  • Like 1

When you put everything together for L.A.'s bid (marketing, venues, legacy, etc.) it's a plan that is good enough to win, unfortunately geopolitics along with Paris make it a challenge. I've said before, I see Paris in the same position as Beijing was in the race for 2008, a heavy favorite that has learned from a previous bid where they were thought to be the favorite. The IOC has never gone three consecutive SOGs away from Europe. I see no reason why the Eurocentric IOC would change that now. And much like Beijing in 2008, I think Paris wins in a landslide, especially if Rome drops out.

From left, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, IOC President Thomas Bach, and LA 2024 Chairman Casey Wasserman address Los Angeles' bid with the media in the spring.

LA 2024 gears up for its Olympic campaign season

oastsm-b88761357z.120160723200008000gk1h

From left, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, IOC President Thomas Bach, and LA 2024 Chairman Casey Wasserman address Los Angeles' bid with the media in the spring

Consider it the Brazil primary. Or the Rio caucus.

When the Olympic Games open in Rio de Janeiro next month, more than 10,000 athletes from 206 countries will be joined by members of bid committees from Los Angeles, Paris, Rome and Budapest. For them, the Games are the first major step in campaigns aimed at winning a different golden prize in another South American city 15 months from now – the right to host the 2024 Olympic Games.

The days leading up to and continuing through the Rio Games mark the first time that representatives from the bid cities will have access to all the International Olympic Committee members and other influential officials with international sports federations and national Olympic committees since the cities formally launched their bids last year.

“Rio is incredibly important,” said Danny Koblin, chief bid officer for LA 2024, the local bid committee. “It is going to be one of the first opportunities where all of the membership will be in the same place at the same time.

“This is a bit of our coming-out party.”

Rio is so important that LA 2024 is sending its entire 25-person staff to Brazil.

Each bid committee can place eight individuals in the IOC’s observer program, where officials will get an inside look at venues, transportation and other areas of operations during the Games. LA 2024 also will have a 20-square meter display area within USA House, the USOC’s hospitality headquarters at an exclusive private school overlooking Ipanema beach, where bid officials will be able to inform visitors on their campaign.

Mainly the emphasis will be on the old-fashioned retail politics of pressing the flesh and making connections.

“It’s all about the socializing, who you’re meeting with, what kind of message appearance you make, what kind of message are you sending,” said Robert Livingstone, founder and senior editor at the Toronto-based GamesBids.com. “The whole trip is about marketing the message to the stakeholders who are going to vote on the bid.”

Those stakeholders are the bid cities’ target audience in Rio – the 90 IOC members who will vote on the 2024 host city Sept. 15, 2017 in Lima and the 2,000-plus international federation and national Olympic committee officials who could be influential in the bid campaign. In hotel hallways and lobbies, over drinks and at Olympic venues, LA 2024 officials hope to renew or build relationships with those IOC members and power brokers. They will be promoting a $75 million bid-specific campaign based on months of research, polling and questioning influential international sports figures and designed to convince those 90 voters on awarding Los Angeles a third Olympic Games.

“That’s something that typically you have to work hard on the front end of any new Olympic bid because it’s easy to confuse a city campaign with the city’s Olympic bid campaign,” said Terrence Burns, LA 2024’s chief marketing officer. “This isn’t Randy Newman’s ‘I Love L.A.’ or the L.A. Convention Visitor’s Bureau new campaign. This is a very specific objective against a very specific target audience. Our organization is the bid committee for Los Angeles’ attempt to host the Olympic Games in 2024.

“We’re not trying to drive investment in the city. We’re not trying to lure tourism to the city. We’re not trying to do anything other than win the Olympic and Paralympic Games. Therefore our messaging is precisely about that and it’s targeting toward the Olympic family, these 2,500 people or whatever it is that will eventually boil down to a hundred people pushing (the voting) buttons.”

LA 2024 officials said that brand addresses a major IOC concern – connecting with the millennials, in particular the so-called “Generation Z.”

“It’s important to Thomas Bach,” Livingstone said, referring to the IOC president. “A major part of his (presidential) election campaign was getting in touch with the younger generation.”

Toward that end, the Rome bid committee recently launched a new technology campaign and Paris officials are promoting a youth program. But with the IOC at what Burns termed “an inflection point,” LA 2024 officials said with the city’s proximity to the heart of the entertainment industry and cutting edge technology companies both in Southern California and Silicon Valley, the Los Angeles bid is uniquely positioned to help guide the IOC into the 21st Century.

“Our tag line is ‘follow the sun’ and we chose it pretty deliberately,” said Burns, who has been involved in successful bids with Beijing, Vancouver, Sochi and PyeongChang. “It has a literal meaning, obviously, because of the geography and climate of California. It’s very evocative and people around the world gravitate toward that. But it’s also a metaphor for the future. It means that we want to serve the Olympic movement really by helping them create a new Games for a new era because we are in a new era. We’re in a new Olympic era. We’re in an era of sustainability and frugality and prudence and all of those things. ...

“We think the confluence of the media assets, the entertainment assets, the technology assets that we have in California and we do expand LA 2024, expand it’s definition to include California to connect the IOC and the movement to the global millennial audience, which is an audience that is a bit out of touch with the Olympic Games and the Olympic movement. We think California has the assets to do that. That’s the first (point).

Burns also said because of the abundance of world-class venues, LA 2024 “can offer the IOC, frankly, we believe the most sustainable and minimal Games in history.”

“At the end of the day,” he added, “what we’re trying to offer is a glimpse into the future and we’d love to serve the Olympic movement by helping them create a model that would be sustainable for the next hundred years.”

Burns and Koblin, a former senior vice president with the Wasserman Group, stress that their mission in Rio is as much about listening to IOC members and others in the Olympic movement as to pitch their bid.

“I want to make sure it’s clear that we’re not parachuting in, pretending that we know what the problems are and all the answers are,” said Burns, who previously worked for Meridian Management, the IOC’s sponsorship agency. “If we’re honored enough to host the Games, we think we’ll have a transformative Games, but we know that we’ll do that in conjunction and partnership with the movement. We have to include them obviously in helping them re-imagine their own product.

“Our connection to youth and culture and fashion and trends is undeniable and has been for the last 60 years. Since consumerism took off in post-war America, California has been at the forefront of that. So we have an existing conversation with young people around the world, it’s not an Olympic conversation but we don’t believe it will be hard to engage them in an Olympic conversation because we already have the tools to do it.”

So how would LA 2024 officials use those tools to engage the Snapchat generation?

“I think you have to talk to them where they’re talking, number one, and that’s usually not on network television,” Burns said. NBC’s Olympic programming is “spectacular and it reaches hundreds of millions of households etc. We’re talking about between now and when we have opening ceremonies, so the next seven, eight years if we host the Games, those years we have an opportunity to engage young people around the world on technological platforms that were developed in California, things that aren’t even here yet, we can’t even imagine, another Snapchat in three or four years, whatever that’s going to be. We’re adept at using those technologies, we’re adept at creating content that appeals to that set of people, the millennial generation, and we’ve proven it.

“So I think for us to take the Olympic properties, the Olympic intellectual properties, the Games, Olympism, the ideals, the values and somehow adapt a campaign, storytelling around that toward those people, again in the context of the technology that they use is not a far stretch because it’s not happening right now.”

But first LA 2024 officials must convince the IOC and do so by walking a fine line between informing an aging and not always technology-savvy IOC membership without appearing condescending. It is a process that begins in Rio.

“Number one, you don’t do that with a press release,” Burns said. “You don’t do that with one presentation in Lima. We have 15 or 16 months here to build a communication campaign that will culminate in Lima around (the bid’s core points of emphasis). So we’re going to have to show them, not tell them, and we have some tactical plans around our communications planning going forward with the bid that I think will be illustrative of what value we can bring to the Olympic movement, to this particular target audience.

“And I don’t mean to insinuate that we have to appeal to millennials and no one else in order reinvigorate the OG, but let’s be honest, the millennials of today are the future decision-makers of 10, 20, 30 years from now who may be running companies who will be supporting the Games or not so the opportunity is to engage them not only as fans but as real participants and lifelong evangelists for us, for the movement.

“That’s something that I think we can do. And L.A. is known for it. In this particular race California, the West Coast of the United States, is a crucible of innovation, technology and entertainment and we’re going to bring that to the surface of the Olympic movement.”

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/olympic-723462-bid-games.html

Wow, $75 million -- that's only $1 million less than Chicago's ill-fated bid in 2009.  To think that the bids for 1976-1980-and finally bagging it for 1984 cost only $300K combined.  I hope LA will have enough will and gusto to raise another $75 mil if 2028 has to be won all over again.  

I wonder how much is Paris' war chest this time.  I'd guess no less than $50 mil.  And I thought the IOC was watching the budgets for the new bids??  I guess too distracted by the drug business??

(Somehow I tried posting this comment last night -- but it didn't take.)  

That article sounded exactly like what you have posted....without the 5 page pile-on after.

I do think the geopolitics kinda overrides all the other important rational stuff, especially in the mind of some super old thinking, insulated, self-important, dishonest folks like the IOC who's focus always is on self preservation and aggrandizement.

I'd be all for a party in LA if:

#1 No new taxes

#2 No years of disruption and inconvenience to prepare for it

#3 Nothing blows up

I don't think any of those things can be guaranteed.

• Like 1

Too much "overconfidence" is being displayed here on ONE meager article, from a right-wing, regional newspaper. Either the writer of that piece has been coming here & reading this thread way too much, or, their "arguments" sound so "familiar" to a certain you know who, cuz that's all that L.A.'s narrative can sell, & then tout it as if it's something that the Olympic Movement "needs to be rescued from itself", or some bullsh!t like that. That kind of "marketing" is what instead is going to "take L.A. down". The IOC doesn't like being lectured to. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RuFF said:

The article itself does an excellent job answering that for you old man Barron.

OLD?  :lol:  Better than being a young, stupid MORON  like you!!

Generally, people get wiser with age. B)  But there's always an exception to every rule -- you just get MORE stupid with each passing day, Ruff!  :P

Edited by baron-pierreIV

7 hours ago, RuFF said:

What the hell? Did that article mention California's unique position with technology and engaging a new youth??? By Livingstone himself (gamesbids)? But you can access that technology anywhere in the world and that marketing is about surfboards. 

No, LA marketing chief Terrence Burns said that. As he would. I'm sure the marketing chiefs of Paris and Rome would say much the same sort of marketing stuff too.

BTW - as for the boards... not actually that original.

Gold_coast_pins.png

s-l300.jpg

The LA pins are nice though. I wouldn't mind a set for my collection.

Edited by Sir Rols

I had this really weird dream right before waking up that somehow LA and Paris were co-hosting the Games.

I woke up thinking, man, how fucking epic would that be!?

I mean it was a dream, and in actuality and from a practical point of view, it would be hard to pull off. But both cities are ready and more than able.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2016 at 11:02 AM, FYI said:

Too much "overconfidence" is being displayed here on ONE meager article, from a right-wing, regional newspaper. Either the writer of that piece has been coming here & reading this thread way too much, or, their "arguments" sound so "familiar" to a certain you know who, cuz that's all that L.A.'s narrative can sell, & then tout it as if it's something that the Olympic Movement "needs to be rescued from itself", or some bullsh!t like that. That kind of "marketing" is what instead is going to "take L.A. down". The IOC doesn't like being lectured to. 

There's actually 1 interesting line in the article that rings true for me and it goes to the ongoing discussion of Agenda 2020...

But first LA 2024 officials must convince the IOC and do so by walking a fine line between informing an aging and not always technology-savvy IOC membership without appearing condescending. It is a process that begins in Rio.

We always talk about what the IOC says they want to be and whether or not they'll actually take the steps to get there.  So here's the rub.. if you're the LA committee, do you try to appeal to the old stodgy IOC that currently exists or the IOC that they want the world to think they are which is younger and more tech savvy and capable of appealing to a new generation.  If the IOC is committed to change, they have a much better shot.  If they're going to fall back to old habits and Agenda 2020 is indeed just lip service, that hurts their cause.

A possible 3rd New Venue for the LA 2024 Bid courtesey of the Los Angeles Clippers???

Steve Ballmer wants out of the Staples Center.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2654378-clippers-reportedly-actively-exploring-sites-for-potential-new-arena 

Clippers Reportedly 'Actively Exploring' Sites for Potential New Arena

Clippers Reportedly 'Actively Exploring' Sites for Potential New Arena

The Los Angeles Clippers are reportedly exploring the possibility of leaving Staples Center.

Citing NBA sources, ESPN.com's Kevin Arnovitz reported that the Clippers "are actively exploring sites for [a] new arena." The team's lease at Staples Center—which it shares with the Los Angeles Lakers—is set to expire in 2024.

Arnovitz emphasized that owner Steve Ballmer is not looking to move the team out of Los Angeles and reported "that an area that piques the franchise's interest is Los Angeles' west side."

The Clippers did not confirm or deny the report, per Arnovitz.

ESPN's Arash Markazi tweeted that "many within the organization" think a move will happen and noted that a new arena could eventually serve as the team's headquarters for all basketball activities:

According to Markazi, "Ballmer hasn't been shy about expressing his displeasure with the Staples Center setup and lease with friends since buying the team."

Arnovitz reported that because the Clippers are classified as a "third tenant" after the Lakers and Los Angeles Kings, the team is not entitled to an even split of revenue generated via ticket sales for luxury seating.

At a recent sports technology summit, Ballmer also cited other factors that have contributed to what he believes is a less than ideal environment for Clippers home games.

"We don't own our arena, so a lot of things about fan experiencefood and beveragethey're not on our list because, frankly, we get what we get from AEG, who owns Staples Center," Ballmer said, per Arnovitz. 

Ballmer officially purchased the Clippers for an NBA-record $2 billion in August 2014, and the team has thrived at Staples Center in the two full seasons during which he's been at the helm.

Head coach Doc Rivers' club went a strong 30-11 at home during the 2014-15 season, and it followed that performance by going 29-12 in front of the Hollywood faithful this past season.