Okay, well what about the "L.A. will win narrative list". -

*L.A. is "beach-Y" (& that one is yours!) :-P

Oh definitely agree......having a summer games in a city with no beach is doable but what a bummer.....lets have a real summer Olympics....what's summer without the beach!

I do think Paris will definitely win, and Parisians are definitely rude very often. ^_^

i do wish LA had not even bid, it's a little embarrassing being associated with the Olympics/IOC, it's just not what i used to think it was. Then you loose and get piled on like when Rio won and for year the supporters were acting like Brazil was going to take over the world....meanwhile California has a larger economy than the whole of Brazil and we know what's up in Rio......Yay Olympics! do us a favor Paris, don't fnck it up.

Democratic nations are no longer buying the argument that hosting the games is a wise investment. Every potential 2022 host city with a democratic government eventually pulled out of the bidding, many over economic concerns, leaving Beijing and Almaty, Kazakhstan, as the IOC’s only two options.

Academics have been saying for years that hosting the Olympics doesn’t make economic sense. The costs are typically larger than expected, the infrastructure needed for a big sporting event isn’t the same as the infrastructure needed for daily life, and the economic benefits are typically overstated.

That message seems to have come a bit too late for Rio but still, there’s hope moving forward into the future.

Edited by paul

But what's even scarier, is that Orlando wasn't even as "coordinated" as Paris. It was done by only one person who created just as much mayhem, relatively speaking. But yeah, L.A. would be much "safer", no question.

Lone wolf attacks are extremely hard to prevent for any country. The fact that Paris couldn't prevent either of their coordinated attacks is something to be concerned about. And now they can't even control the trash disrupting the Euro Cup, and can't properly screen people from bringing in flares.

However the US didn't fare all too well in this recent attack either. Twice he's been flagged as a concern, and twice it's amounted to nothing. Even as early as a few weeks before he purchased the guns there was another gun store that refused service to him for suspicious questions and activities and they even informed the FBI, and nothing came of it either. So as far as safety goes, there are no clear winners right now, but personally I'd trust the US a bit more at keeping me safe during an Olympic event than I do France and Paris.

I think Paris is going to host 2024, I don't mind that they will host I like visiting Paris and always have fun.

But in or out of context the overwhelming narrative here in GB is that:

-Paris is due

-the US has hosted more often and more recently and is not due

-Paris is as or more capable than LA

-Paris has many more loyalties in the eyes of a euro-centric IOC than LA

-Paris will not bid again for decades or ever if they are not chosen this time

-LA will bid every year if they can so there is never incentive to go there unless

-no other city bids

-the IOC needs the money

-all other candidates have totally unrealistic bids

-the world hates the US and LA and Americans

-the IOC still holds a grudge against the controlling USOC (gotten better now that we handed them large piles of cash) but deep resentment continues.

....and my very favorite(according to one)....wait for it.......

-Paris has better weather than LA for athletes in summer........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That last one was just one guy but I had to throw it in since almost nobody seemed to disagree with him!

I think there are more on the list of Paris will win narrative but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Why is it important to bring up what the narrative is? Because now it seems like you want to argue/debate the narrative and these pre-conceived notions rather than anyone's actually opinion. Again, high school locker room mentality.

Some of the points on that list I happen to agree with. Others are nonsense are are talking points that get perpetuating here that, while largely due, get taken out of context. Paris is not "due" for an Olympics. But yes, France not having hosted in a century and the United States having hosted more recently could come into play. That the IOC is Euro-centric could come into play. Key word there.. "could"

Where in this "overwhelming narrative" is it stated that the world hates LA? I know the United States doesn't always have the best image, but do Paris and France either? Does the IOC actually hold a grudge against the USOC or was that largely settled with the revenue deal?

As FYI's list proves, it goes both ways. But I think far too often, it's a case of "no one will listen to me because everyone already thinks all this." To that point, many of us here have had these discussions before, so forgive us if we don't want to rehash the same arguments again.

• Like 1

^Thats right! *and how "snapchat" helps L.A. *and how a bad Rio Games favors L.A. :rolleyes:

^

You all forgot "LA is 400 miles away from Silicon Valley, the epicenter of technology. A 21st century SOG cannot happen outside of the magnetic radius of 500 miles of SV's gamma waves!!"

And now they can't even control the trash disrupting the Euro Cup, and can't properly screen people from bringing in flares.

So as far as safety goes, there are no clear winners right now, but personally I'd trust the US a bit more at keeping me safe during an Olympic event than I do France and Paris.

As I mentioned earlier, the Euros seem to attract this type of "trash". It was the same four years in Poland/Ukraine 2012. You don't see too much of that at the Olympics.

And just curious, & this is an honest question, but would you also feel a bit safer in Madrid & Spain during an Olympic event than you would in Paris & France? Since someone brought up earlier that it's tending to be more of a European problem than just a French one.

FYI, my arguments in my previous post about Euros aren't about the hooligans who are going their. I spoke to the first hand fact that the French can not control the transportation disruptions. The constant strikes, a theme that routinely plays out in French society is causing more disruptions than the hooligans. Flights, trains buses trams are all being cancelled due to the strikes standing spectators all over the country. It is well documented that the French went on strike right before the IOC visit during the 2012 process, All I am saying is that their persist a very important question can the french not only deliver the games but deliver spectators to the venues. I just returned from France and this is proving to be a highly Embarrassing matter over there. as the locals have become so accustomed to it over there. It may not be a nail in the coffin but it's definitely not a good look

Right, because remind us how smoothly the last time the U.S. hosted the Summer Olympics in 1996 went. With the many logistical transportation mishaps & not getting the actual athletes to their competition venues on time bcuz their drivers got lost enroute.

Or all the technical glitches that plague the so-called state of the art equipment & delayed Olympic results for hours. Which prompted the IOC to give Atlanta & it's organizers a stern warning to "fix the Games, now!" Or how the media labeled it "Lake Placid but with sweat". Not to mention the Centennial park bombing.

Or also how the very competent TSA just last month caused one of the most massive air travel disruptions this country has ever seen. But yeah, all that sounds very efficient compared to anyone else around the world. It may not be a nail in the coffin but it's also not a very good look, either.

Take it back to the SOG in the US before Atlanta FYI and let us know how those looked in 1984? :)

If I recall correctly it was a pretty good look.

Actually, the troubles of Atlanta are SOOO OVERLY Exaggerated. And then 6 years later, Salt Lake 2002 were the best organized WOGs up to that time. So Atlanta's problems are a non-issue.

was Atlanta transport really that bad anyway....i never see any source that describes the bus getting lost issue....just people here mentioning it. And the computing thing.....never heard much about that either....will have to google it I guess to see if anything was reported. I have taken the Marta in ATL and it's pretty nice from the airport to say Buckhead.

was Atlanta transport really that bad anyway....i never see any source that describes the bus getting lost issue....just people here mentioning it. And the computing thing.....never heard much about that either....

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1996-07-23/news/1996205002_1_atlanta-committee-lake-placid-atlanta-olympics

http://m.csmonitor.com/1996/0725/072596.feat.sports.2.html

And look, even one by the LAtimes;

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-07-22/news/ss-26827_1_atlanta-games

And there's plenty more articles about it. The fact that you've never read about it before seems awfully strange then, &/or convenient.

Take it back to the SOG in the US before Atlanta FYI and let us know how those looked in 1984? :)

If I recall correctly it was a pretty good look.

Doesn't necessarily mean that L.A. can easily do it again, though. The Games literally cost 25x's more than they did back in 1984 & are more than twice the size. Not saying it's impossible, but to imply that it'd be all pretty roses & that history can simply repeat itself is being quite naive & a bit delusional.

Oh thanks, I started reading interesting. I don't think lost busses or a computer scoring system developed at the begining of the computer age will be an issue in LA in 2024.

You think that 1996 was "at the beginning of the computer age"? Yeah, okay. But anyway, I didn't say that those particular issues would be a problem for L.A. Only pointing out that any type of snafus, particularly at something as gargantuan as the Olympic Games, are quite possible with anyone, not just France. Funny how you didn't mention about our wonderful TSA agency.

All indications are that LA can handle the travel/transport plan, I think I believe them but of course anything can happen.

It's just when we hear so often that a city has to be a TOP TIER city blah blah blah to legitimately bid....then those TOP TIER cities bid and you go nit picking things on the plan that that particular city actually is excellent at with tons of current and past experience by saying ANYTHING can happen.....well it starts to sound like you are just looking for reasons to complain about a bid.

Now... a city like Paris also has a legit plan that would be legitimately disrupted by strikes which we are seeing played out right now in live time while those components of the strike disruption are specifically key parts of the cities Olympic Transportation plan......that sounds more concerning right now for Paris than some unforeseen thing that has not happened but MIGHT happen to an LA plan.

hope that makes sense, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed I've been told. :lol:

.....as for TSA....THEY SUCK ASS. (that's so mean I feel bad for saying it...they have a tough job)

Edited by paul

LAX is not so bad for TSA, it's mainly Chicago where there was an issue a month ago or something. I will say since they moved the AA premium security line, which used to share a parallel lane next to the TSA-pre in terminal 6 it kinda sucks for me. However, in many cities the Pre line seems to take just as long so not really feeling like I need to join.....and about 1/2 the time I get Pre on my boarding pass anyway....not sure why. Any currently since AA took over USAir they have 2 terminals 4 and 6 which sucks cuz lately they have been renovating and moving flights between terminals with little notice. Having said all that I NEVER get there with more than 1 1/2 hours till my flight and I ALWAYS have time to sit for minimum 30 minutes if not an hour.

I think the airport in LA is OK for 2024 Olympic traffic. :)

As I mentioned earlier, the Euros seem to attract this type of "trash". It was the same four years in Poland/Ukraine 2012. You don't see too much of that at the Olympics.

And just curious, & this is an honest question, but would you also feel a bit safer in Madrid & Spain during an Olympic event than you would in Paris & France? Since someone brought up earlier that it's tending to be more of a European problem than just a French one.

True trash fighting among themselves is nothing you can prevent and it's something that would never happen in a Summer Olympic games, at least I hope it would never happen. It's the terrible screening where they somehow missed the flares is what worries me.

And as of right now, I would probably have to go with me feeling safer in Madrid, despite the Atocha station bombing being a much worse attack than both terrorist attacks in Paris from last year. Although the Paris attacks happened more recently, and less than a year apart from each other. As of 2014 Madrid has a much lower risk of terrorist attacks than France and the UK according to this article I found.

http://www.thelocal.es/20140528/report-shows-spain-terrorism-interpol-alqaeda-eta

And I've seen a few articles here and there of suspected terrorists and groups being stopped and arrested, so it shows that they're staying on top of watching out for terrorist activity. But then if I'm adamant about going to an Olympic games in Europe, especially in Madrid where I would have loved to see the games there, potential terrorist attacks won't stop me. I won't stop living just because of the risk of something might happening.

Also saying that Paris MIGHT strike in eight years time is also banking on something that hasn't happened yet, either. I'm quite sure that there'd be terms & contracts worked out before Paris is even awarded the Olympics. But for right now, it seems like making mountains outta molehills. I've always said that the only ones that can lose this for Paris are the French themselves. And I still stand by that. But until then, I can have reservations about the other bids if I want. Just like you guys are also looking for reasons to complain & "nit pick" about a bid.

And again, no one has denied that L.A. is a "top tier" city. We've all acknowledged its place in the global community. But IDK how many times that it has to be said, that the pure L.A. HYPERBOLE & the yada, yada, yada that goes around here by some just gets so tiring after its relentlessly trying to be shoved in our faces. I mean seriously, how many times must we hear that L.A. is "the center of technology" & it's a "different L.A. than 1984 "blah, blah, blah". :rolleyes:

I never say that stuff about tech or the New LA blah blah blah. I also never question the fact that LA has everything a modern city needs and is a unique and amazing place like Paris is but in it's different way. I mean those euro capitals are great...what's not to love and cherish but we (LA/Californians/the US) have a different lifestyle, slant, history and vibe that is as legit in it's own way. There are things to compare but saying one city has more historic buildings vs another or their total tube transportation is the ultimate for every city is rather one minded. We love LA cuz it's LA, we love Paris cuz it's Paris. I don't ever feel personally competitive with any other city round the globe, some cities I like more than others, some I don't like much, some I don't know, some I like them but they don't seem to like me........I do like LA as a hub and that's why I'm here a lot. I am from San Francisco. I am a west coast guy, I am an expert skier(LA is my gateway to the best skiing in North America), a terrible surfer(except when I get on a long board in Hawaii) and I have many hobbies and interests including graphic design and car restoration.

....so on topic, I think Paris will win but LA is looking like a very strong bid.

Edited by paul
  • Like 1

I never say that stuff about tech or the New LA blah blah blah. I also never question the fact that LA has everything a modern city needs and is a unique and amazing place like Paris is but in it's different way. I mean those euro capitals are great...what's not to love and cherish but we (LA/Californians/the US) have a different lifestyle, slant, history and vibe that is as legit in it's own way. There are things to compare but saying one city has more historic buildings vs another or their total tube transportation is the ultimate for every city is rather one minded. We love LA cuz it's LA, we love Paris cuz it's Paris. I don't ever feel personally competitive with any other city round the globe, some cities I like more than others, some I don't like much, some I don't know, some I like them but they don't seem to like me........I do like LA as a hub and that's why I'm here a lot. I am from San Francisco. I am a west coast guy, I am an expert skier(LA is my gateway to the best skiing in North America), a terrible surfer(except when I get on a long board in Hawaii) and I have many hobbies and interests including graphic design and car restoration.

....so on topic, I think Paris will win but LA is looking like a very strong bid.

Olympic bidding is a competition. At some point, it's going to come down to a choice between cities and the IOC members will have to pick 1 over the others. We can point out a zillion different things to base a comparison on, each of which individually mean very little. It's the sum total of all those factors - tangible and intangible - that will matter in the end.