Apparently Los Angeles is considering a temporary platform athletics track for the Coliseum, similar to what Glasgow did for the Commonwealth Games.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1035259/los-angeles-2024-considering-elevated-track-at-historic-coliseum-used-for-1932-and-1984-games

Uh oh.....that failed HORRIBLY at Glasgow 2014, just as everyone KNEW it would!

Sorry, seem to have had a sudden attack of the Jim Joneses then.

ROTFLMFAO!!!

I'm not sure how Glasgow did their temporary track but on the same Q&A video it was mentioned that up to rows 14 the seating would be removed and filled with dirt.

Here ya go RuFF, an excellent video showing exactly what happened in Glasgow. Given that the Coliseum has a similar shaped field, I think this would be quite doable in LA.

FYI, it took the capacity from 52k down to 44k

Uh oh.....that failed HORRIBLY at Glasgow 2014, just as everyone KNEW it would!

Sorry, seem to have had a sudden attack of the Jim Joneses then.

ROTFLMFAO!!!

It did? Did they have problems during the athletics events?

No, it was fine. That post was an in-joke for some of the longer-standing members of this forum (read on if you care)! :D

We had a Canadian member, alias "Jim Jones" (real name Paul Taylor). He was (I can't quite remember how) appointed a goodwill ambassador for Abuja 2014, the rival bid to Glasgow. He took it upon himself to turn that role into smearing Glasgow's bid on this forum, on other sites, basically anywhere he could. The Glasgow 2014 bid team were well aware of him, and claimed his efforts actually backfired on Abuja. Google his name and Abuja, you'll find some stuff on him.

He was a real nasty piece of work (and has been banned from pretty much every site he's posted on, including Twitter). One of his favourite "theories" was that Glasgow's platform solution would fail, that it had proven to fail previously, and basically the only explanation for Glasgow beating Abuja was...iirc...the fact that Commonwealth Games delegates were given gifts of bottles of whisky. He was also adamant London 2012 would be a failure (and still is). Last post I saw from him was something along the lines of "Rio has nothing to learn from London's Games". A few sandwiches short of a picnic, basically.

Edited by Rob.

Also I don't understand why they feel the need to do this. the stadium was original a track and field stadium after all, is it really that difficult to convert it back to that? And that would sound less time-consuming than doing what Glasgow did to Hampden park

It sounds like they are planning to put things like warmup facilities beneath the platform. The modifications USC is planning also might prevent them from removing the structure around the field.

I really like this solution to the stadium problem for other cities, but it does basically make the Coliseum's design as an athletics stadium pointless in this case. If the renovations mean that the Coliseum will only hold 60k-70k in "Olympic mode" then couldn't the platform be built in the new NFL stadium instead, and give Los Angeles a newer facility with higher capacity?

Edited by Nacre

It sounds like they are planning to put things like warmup facilities beneath the platform. The modifications USC is planning also might prevent them from removing the structure around the field.

I really like this solution to the stadium problem for other cities, but it does basically make the Coliseum's design as an athletics stadium pointless in this case. If the renovations mean that the Coliseum will only hold 60k-70k in "Olympic mode" then couldn't the platform be built in the new NFL stadium instead, and give Los Angeles a newer facility with higher capacity?

Not sure why they would need to, there is already a track facility for warmups on the USC campus. Granted it's not right beside Memorial Coliseum, but I'm sure there would be some sort of transportation to transfer the athletes to and from the Coliseum.

The problem with using the new Rams stadium is the field and surrounding seating is not likely to be in an oval configuration. More likely, it will be in a rectangular shape, not conducive for a platform track. As for the Coliseum, I would think that the costs of a raised platform track would outweigh the costs of installing a permanent athletics track. On a side note, back when the U.S. had multiple cities looking to be the 2024 candidate, Dallas proposed the same thing, a raised platform track in the Cotton Bowl which is a similar shape to the Coliseum.

Not sure why they would need to, there is already a track facility for warmups on the USC campus. Granted it's not right beside Memorial Coliseum, but I'm sure there would be some sort of transportation to transfer the athletes to and from the Coliseum.

It sounds like they're only planning on putting a short 60m warm-up track under the platform, not a full oval (which, if you think about it, there wouldn't be room for!). I know in London there was a similar facility built under one of the stands in the Olympic Stadium. as well as the full warm-up track next door.

As Stryker said, this solution is best suited to stadiums with a more oval infield, with a lot of room to play with at each end. You can see from the video I posted on the previous page how similar the Coliseum is to Hampden in this regard. Looking at pictures of the Inglewood facility, not only does the field shape not look conducive, but the tiers don't look to be uniform, making it even more challenging. On top of that, I think the shallower rake of the Coliseum would give much better sight-lines for athletics. Imagine sitting at the top of the Inglewood stadium. You'd be looking straight down most of the time to even see the track.

All in all, I think it'd look a very odd, very bitty athletics facility if the bulk of those lower seats were lost because of a platform. The Colisseum looks a much more natural fit.

And all of that's before we even get into questions of transferring the facility between the owners and the OCOG. Would Kroenke really want to hand over his baby for that long? Hampden was out of commission as a football venue for a little while before and after the CWG in Glasgow.

i like the beach volleyball venue with the open side to the ocean (big, blue, beautiful). I didn't get why Rio's was the other way around.

We'll see how it develops, but I think this render is only illustrative since it's so early in the process. It looks to me like an exact copy of the London 2012 venue transferred onto a beach. It gives a really nice impression of what LA is offering, but I doubt they've put a lot of thought into the exact structure of the venue just yet.

Perhaps Rio did wind measurements and found having the more open end facing the sea wouldn't be the best thing? I'm sure they know what they're doing anyhow.

Edited by Rob.

Apparently Los Angeles is considering a temporary platform athletics track for the Coliseum, similar to what Glasgow did for the Commonwealth Games.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1035259/los-angeles-2024-considering-elevated-track-at-historic-coliseum-used-for-1932-and-1984-games

Also I don't understand why they feel the need to do this. the stadium was original a track and field stadium after all, is it really that difficult to convert it back to that? And that would sound less time-consuming than doing what Glasgow did to Hampden park

This is the dilemma they have with the Coliseum. USC would love to make renovations that would make it more friendly for football. As it exists right now, even with the post-1984 Olympic renovations that removed the track and added seating, it's still not a great layout for football. With an Olympic bid in the works, now they may not be able to fix that and we have this temporary solution that basically un-does the changes made in the early 90s. Good for the Olympics. Not so good for the long-term prospects of USC using the Coliseum. It's a difficult situation for them because they operate the Coliseum, but their deal with the city stipulates they have to make it available for an Olympic bid. Which leads me to..

The problem with using the new Rams stadium is the field and surrounding seating is not likely to be in an oval configuration. More likely, it will be in a rectangular shape, not conducive for a platform track. As for the Coliseum, I would think that the costs of a raised platform track would outweigh the costs of installing a permanent athletics track. On a side note, back when the U.S. had multiple cities looking to be the 2024 candidate, Dallas proposed the same thing, a raised platform track in the Cotton Bowl which is a similar shape to the Coliseum.

There is no shot that the Rams' new stadium will have any provisions for hosting athletics, so get that thought out of your mind. As Rob alluded to, that is Stan Kroenke's stadium. It's his money that brought the Rams to LA and that stadium is going to be his palace for his team. If athletics were more compatible with American football, then maybe he could make that provision. But they're not. And I can't see him making those types of provisions in his stadium for a 1-time event, especially where the seating capacity probably would be lower than that of the Coliseum which at least has a seating bowl better designed for athletics.

A permanent track in the Coliseum is not the solution either. The fact it was removed 20+ years ago probably precludes it from being put back in. It's simply not practical to have it there permanently. With Dallas and the Cotton Bowl, that stadium is no longer used on a regular basis since AT&T stadium got built. Contrast that with the Coliseum in LA which is still home to USC football.

i like the beach volleyball venue with the open side to the ocean (big, blue, beautiful). I didn't get why Rio's was the other way around.

Looks like Sydney's venue was similar to Rio's..

939568-beach-volleyball-sydney.jpg

If you look at the rendering of LA's venue, they haven't really included some of the necessarily facilities (i.e. TV cameras, commentary positions, etc) that you see with past venues. The location and positioning of those probably helps dictate the layout of the stands. Not to mention - as Rob noted - weather and lighting conditions. The actual venue would probably not look all that much like you see in that rendering.

Los Angeles has a problem, NOLA24 is too associated with New Orleans. What would be the best abbreviation for their resistance movement?

Looks like Sydney's venue was similar to Rio's..

...wow exactly like Rio2016 and 2007.

...London really did have an amazing location.....one of the coolest venues ever.

....I just wanna see the ocean when I'm at a real beach volleyball game.

I guess LA can have NO-LA24 or NO!LA24 or noLA24.

Los Angeles has a problem, NOLA24 is too associated with New Orleans. What would be the best abbreviation for their resistance movement?

I guess LA can have NO-LA24 or NO!LA24 or noLA24.

How is that a problem for Los Angeles? Sounds more like a problem with a resistance movement.. if there is destined to be one in the first place.

...wow exactly like Rio2016 and 2007.

...London really did have an amazing location.....one of the coolest venues ever.

....I just wanna see the ocean when I'm at a real beach volleyball game.

There will be seats facing that direction even if the arena isn't open there. Other provisions will take priority in terms of determining the layout rather than which makes for the nicer view.

Outside a few posters here, does anyone associate NOLA2024 with a non existent New Orleans Olympic bid?

As a Brit who's never visited Louisiana, I don't- but NOLA certainly is a recognised abbreviation for New Orleans (even the Times-Picayune news website is nola.com) so I think many people will.

Outside a few posters here, does anyone associate NOLA2024 with a non existent New Orleans Olympic bid?

I don't think it's a matter of associating it with an Olympic bid. People will see "NOLA" and probably think it has more to do with New Orleans than Los Angeles. Which is probably a good thing for the LA organizers in that the most obvious name for a resistance movement (again, if there is an organized one) sounds like its associated with another city. Sneaky move there, LA. But I like it!