Paris has the charm & history of a great antique and LA's power is derived from possibilities and the now.....is that what the argument is? :lol:

It's not. Paris may be an antique city, but it has adapted to this century. Paris is NOT a museum, and its bid is about showing what Paris used to be (and what attracts the tourists) as well as what it is now and what it will be in the future. Paris bid is about the past, the present and the future.

It's not. Paris may be an antique city, but it has adapted to this century. Paris is NOT a museum, and its bid is about showing what Paris used to be (and what attracts the tourists) as well as what it is now and what it will be in the future. Paris bid is about the past, the present and the future.

..hey i love Paris, well what I know of Paris from mostly business trips ;). I'm not in any camp, in fact I'm uncomfortable with the idea of the IOC having ANY influence or involvement in Los Angeles in the run-up to another games, and since Paris is the sentimental favorite I'm not to worried about it.

..hey i love Paris, well what I know of Paris from mostly business trips ;). I'm not in any camp, in fact I'm uncomfortable with the idea of the IOC having ANY influence or involvement in Los Angeles in the run-up to another games, and since Paris is the sentimental favorite I'm not to worried about it.

Well hit me up whenever you're back for one of your business trip so we can go for a drink (always happy to meet up with one of you Gamesbids folks) ;) And that's the thing, if LA loses to one of the other bidders, the USOC will bid again for the next games, and it is most likely they will get the Games. If Paris loses AGAIN, well you won't be seeing a bid from France for a loooog time.

But anyway, back on topic. Les Anges....

• Like 1

I don't know why it's not hitting anyone that they are marketing a new LA and especially its historic features. As a matter of fact I mentioned the Spring Street Financial District once and it was written off. One think you can count on from LA is to boast a new urbanity and it's new downtown.

Speaking of which, in the Times yesterday there was an article about how the city intends on placing a new tax and an extension of the measure R tax to raise money for additional transit. The games, if awarded to LA will be rail accessible.

Not hitting *anyone*? No.. 1 or 2 people maybe aren't seeing that. The rest of us understand it. We get that there are major differences with the city and with the bid in comparison to 1984. All of that goes to making a compelling package for LA 2024. But will that be a good enough sell to get the IOC on board when there's at least 1 other very compelling candidate out there.

• Like 1

When Versailles was built (the equastrian venue for the Paris 2024 bid), LA didn't even exist. King Louis VIX went from Paris to Versailles, because Paris was becoming too busy of a city, too dangerous, too noisy (well back then people had already been living in Paris for more than 2000). So please, don't even bother about "LA history" here. That's not going to make them win. An american bid is NEVER going to win over a European bid based on their history.

And anyway, if you really think the IOC voters vote according to the city's history.......

I don't think Ejaycat said LA would host an Olympics based purely on the fact that LA has more than 100 years of history. He was merely pointing out the fact that LA has more history than Bernham suggested.

Of course history LENGTH alone won't win an Olympic bid. Each city has its own charm and culture that can balance the scale.

• Like 2

That kind of depends doesn't it?

If Donald Trump wins the Presidency in November and it turns out he was actually serious about his ban on Muslims entering the country, then LA's bid will be dead in the water.

Then I hope he wins. He'll be out of office by 2021 and perfect time for LA to host in 2028...or Toronto host.

Well hit me up whenever you're back for one of your business trip so we can go for a drink (always happy to meet up with one of you Gamesbids folks) ;) And that's the thing, if LA loses to one of the other bidders, the USOC will bid again for the next games, and it is most likely they will get the Games. If Paris loses AGAIN, well you won't be seeing a bid from France for a loooog time.

But anyway, back on topic. Les Anges....

I'll be in Paris summer of next year. 2017 meet up ya'll!

I don't think Ejaycat said LA would host an Olympics based purely on the fact that LA has more than 100 years of history. He was merely pointing out the fact that LA has more history than Bernham suggested.

Of course history LENGTH alone won't win an Olympic bid. Each city has its own charm and culture that can balance the scale.

Hey, they opened my eyes in those pictures. I never realized LA still had so many pre-20s buildings and such. I was impressed.

I still want Paris to win 2024 and LA host in '28.

But I will say I was wrong to say LA does not have beautiful spots or some history.

• Like 1

Paris has the charm & history of a great antique and LA's power is derived from possibilities and the now.....is that what the argument is? :lol:

Hey, Paris has a Disneyland!

(Or rather, there is a "Disneyland Paris" in the countryside, a massive 32 km / 20 miles from the city centre)

Erm, Paris also has a cute national library, which is in the city centre:

files-projection-is-443d-diaporama.jpg

I am assuming that the L.A. bid will still need to include secondary venues for handball and basketball. So assuming the Rams new stadium is not part of the plans, my guess would be the Forum for the handball finals and perhaps the Honda Center in Anaheim for basketball.

I am assuming that the L.A. bid will still need to include secondary venues for handball and basketball. So assuming the Rams new stadium is not part of the plans, my guess would be the Forum for the handball finals and perhaps the Honda Center in Anaheim for basketball.

What is the Staples Center for?

It's easy to forget LA's storied past as the city itself took a new direction early in its existence. The first LA boasted 1,100 miles of street cars, more than any other city on earth. Via yellow and red cars people reached their homes in what would be its first suburbs. With them came a collection of craftsman, Victorian, and other types of homes spread throughout the region. The movie Changling captured the era well. This era also saw LA break into the 10th most populous city in the US. The second Los Angeles saw the arrival of the Freeway, the jet age ushered in science and aerospace into the region and during that time the 1984 Olympics which brought signal prioritize toon and smart highways into existence. Semi custom to cookie cutter homes arrived in a massive boom that continued LA's population explosion. It saw LA become the nations second most populous city with often predictions that it would overtake New York to become the US's most populous. It brought to the world space shuttles, Boeing, McDonnell Douglas, the epicenter of the American automobile engineering and design with nearly every auto manufacturer having a presence in the region. The third LA, arriving now and what I said is reminiscent of 1920's New York, is seeing a global cultural explosion, heavy support and construction of public transportation systems, a renewed interest in its historic features from the first LA, entrepreneurial spirit with new start ups, and growth that is disproportionately moving to the center. There is a strong renewed interest in urbanity, greater civic pride. LA right now could easily be where the next little black dress arrives or as will Farrell puts it, where flying cars will arrive. Policy supports driverless cars, there is a real feel that new culture is taking birth. However, a lot of people outside of LA still don't know this because television has created a solid vision of the second LA. But media outlets are catching on and that vision is rapidly changing. LA2024 is on a clock and to Paris' worst fears they may accomplish that goal... But we'll see come 2024.

What goal exactly is it that they're trying to accomplish? You keep talking about all that's going on in LA, but will any or all of that translate into votes from IOC members? That's the key question. LA could be the most rapidly developing and changing city in the world, but when it comes down to it, will that be enough to win the vote over Paris?

LA's never snarky, that's probably the digest delta they have on Paris.

But Paris will win unless something goes wrong for them.

That's why - as most of us know here - the viewpoints of those purporting to represent their home city rarely reflect the actual attitudes and opinions of those organizing the bid for that city. LA is not snarky. Paris is not butthurt. Their respective cases for why they should be the 2024 Olympic host will not be argued on that basis.

• Like 1

I think it's OK for folks to expound on their home city, particularly when some make uninformed opinion based declarations as to what a city is or is not. It's actually surprising that some folks sound so naive about the power and culture of Los Angels. It's always popular to bash LA (especially for those who don't get to live or spend much time there) but let's not pretend LA is not one of the most influential, desirable, relevant and successful mega cities on earth.

Well, I'll be able to judge one of LA's cultural exports myself in a few weeks as the LA Phil / Dudamel are coming to town. B)

Your making me want to pop down to Disney this evening, but it might rain and my car was just detailed last week. ;)

...hmmmmm...just read a review of the program you will see......now I'm just a little jealous...too bad everything's sold out here.

Gustavo Dudamel brings out the full force and awe of Mahler's Third Symphony

The L.A. Phil played with gut-wrenching strength and a remarkable unanimity even in passages where Mahler calls for distinctive instrumental individuality. Tamara Mumford brought wonderfully rich tone to the mezzo-solos. The women of the Los Angeles Master Chorale and the Los Angeles Children's Chorus were rays of bright joy.

The overpowering grandeur of Dudamel's Mahler Third is ultimately and irresistibly utopian. The performance convinced a cheering audience Thursday night that it's the Mahler we now need. With luck, it will do the same for audiences on the road.

Edited by paul
  • Like 1

I think it's OK for folks to expound on their home city, particularly when some make uninformed opinion based declarations as to what a city is or is not. It's actually surprising that some folks sound so naive about the power and culture of Los Angels. It's always popular to bash LA (especially for those who don't get to live or spend much time there) but let's not pretend LA is not one of the most influential, desirable, relevant and successful mega cities on earth.

Thus is the unfortunate cycle on these forums. It's certainly okay to back a city, but sometimes there are exaggerations on just how big and special your city is. And then when someone disagrees with it, it's considered "bashing" their city and theirs is an uninformed opinion, whereas with the original poster, somehow it's a fact which is backed up by lists and rankings. That's where all the unnecessary back-and-forth comes from. If someone makes an uninformed opinion, inform them. There's no need to go over the top in an attempt to convince them.

• Like 1

That would be a great argument Quaker is we were talking about cities that aren't Paris or Los Angeles. The problem is, however, that we are talking about Paris and Los Angeles and they undeniably are highly influential megacities.

It's an argument about the forum moreso than a Paris vs. LA comparison. It's the nature of this forum that some people will be so fiercely defensive of their city that any hint of criticism is practically taken as a personal attack. That's why I'm glad I don't have a dog in the fight.

It's an argument about the forum moreso than a Paris vs. LA comparison. It's the nature of this forum that some people will be so fiercely defensive of their city that any hint of criticism is practically taken as a personal attack. That's why I'm glad I don't have a dog in the fight.

I'll never have a dog in the fight, unless I move to a city with a chance of hosting.

Baton Rouge/New Orleans will never bid or host. We ain't at that level.

Staples Center is listed as the only basketball venue. Is it possible to be able to hold the entire men's and women's Olympic tournaments in one venue?

Well, as in indoor volleyball, do it on alternate days. I think they've held them in separate venues in the past because the women's game doesn't sell as many tickets as the men's game; so they book it in a smaller venue. But if they package the women's games tickets to be bought together with the men's, they can "force" a higher attendance for the women's game -- if only for "good camera" purposes.

Staples Center is listed as the only basketball venue. Is it possible to be able to hold the entire men's and women's Olympic tournaments in one venue?

Sure it is. They did it in Beijing, I believe. Rio is an exception in that 2 arenas are based used concurrently for basketball. More common (as it was with London, Athens, and Sydney) is that the preliminary rounds are held at 1 arena, then the knockout rounds are held in a larger arena, usually the one that had held gymnastics since that's usually over by early in the 2nd week. With basketball being held at Staples, no need to move it to a different arena. So yes, it's definitely possible to host the entire competition in 1 venue.