I don't know much about American football so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is a retractable roof a requirement to host the Super Bowl? Only there must be teams without one so it'd be a bit odd if it was a requirement for just one game.

Definitely not a requirement. The Superdome in New Orleans has a fixed roof and they've hosted I think the most Super Bowls. They've hosted within the last 5 years I believe. The new stadium in Minneapolis will have a fixed roof and they'll host the Superbowl in 2018 or 2019.

Also a fixed roof is an odd choice in LA considering it doesn't rain most of the year.

No need for a roof, retractable or not, to host the superbowl

It does help some city's chances that have terribly cold or rainy weather to host the Super Bowl. I don't think Minneapolis or Indianapolis would have won the right to host the Super Bowl without a fixed or retractable roof. I personally don't think it was wise to give it to Metlife Stadium considering how brutally cold and snowy it can get up there during February. But good for them they got it.

I don't know much about American football so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is a retractable roof a requirement to host the Super Bowl? Only there must be teams without one so it'd be a bit odd if it was a requirement for just one game.

NFL requirements for Super Bowl's host city leaked

NFL requires a "climate-controlled domed stadium" if average temperature for that region falls below 50 degrees

So definitely not a requirement for Los Angeles which usually will have favorable weather. The purpose of having a roof would be to host indoor events such as NCAA basketball. If not for that, it certainly wouldn't be there for anything related to football.

That said, I'm not sure this will be a RETRACTABLE roof. From what I've read, sounds like this may be more of a situation like Safeco Field in Seattle where the roof is more of an umbrella and there will be natural air flow. Not sure what that would do for the prospect of hosting events like basketball, but I think it goes without saying that they'll build this stadium within whatever specifications allow it to host a Final Four. What that does for the Olympics is a different story.

France declares economic state of emergency.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/01/20/france-adds-state-of-economic-emergency-to-security-situation/

I won't be surprised if all the European bids drop out. It wouldn't be the first cycle either.The retractible roof will cover the 3.1 million square foot stadium and some of the area around it to the tune of 19 acres.

I would click on that article, but I don't read crap from Republican trash sites. And how about posting that in the Paris bid section? Here I thought you were giving up.

• Like 1

If Kroenke wants a Final Four, the stadium will need to be either a dome or a retractable roof that closes completely. A design like Safeco Field wouldn't work. Any kind of natural air flow along with a high level of humidity and you'd have condensation on the basketball court. That wouldn't sit well with the NCAA if they had to postpone of their prized semifinal or championship games. Several years ago this exact situation happened at Chase Field in Phoenix during a women's game between Texas Tech and Arizona State where the game was halted after the floor was deemed too slick.

If Kroenke wants a Final Four, the stadium will need to be either a dome or a retractable roof that closes completely. A design like Safeco Field wouldn't work. Any kind of natural air flow along with a high level of humidity and you'd have condensation on the basketball court. That wouldn't sit well with the NCAA if they had to postpone of their prized semifinal or championship games. Several years ago this exact situation happened at Chase Field in Phoenix during a women's game between Texas Tech and Arizona State where the game was halted after the floor was deemed too slick.

Well the Texas Tech and Arizona State game was halted because it rained, nothing to do with condensation. Chase Field has a retractable roof, but for whatever reason the roof was not closed in time. But I agree a fixed or retractable roof would be more ideal for the new LA stadium. I think more people would consider using it to prevent the weather from affecting whatever event is being hosted in the stadium.

I'm sure he'll make whatever provisions he needs to make sure his grand stadium can host indoor events. What's a few hundred million on top of what they're already paying to get that done? The timetable on the stadium is that this won't be completed for at least 3 years, so they have some time to get themselves ready. And aside from the ownership issues where the LA 2024 cannot take this over in any way shape or form, this obviously is a huge development for them to be able to sell the prospect of a yet-to-be-built stadium in their bid package that will be completely state-of-the-art and financed outside of their budget. What the stadium gets used for in the bid remains to be seen.

Here's a few statements that LA2024 is making:

Promises to offer the most personalized games and services for each and every athletes, the athletes have the first and last voice in the games (what exactly that entails it's not sure right now)

UCLA will be the site of the Olympic Village. USC will be the site of the media village

The use of UCLA as the Olympic Village makes a lot of sense considering the athletic facilities located at the college.

So does that mean there will be no brand new athletes village??? If so that is a brilliant idea! Houston planned on doing that for their bid for the 2012 Olympics to use and update student housing for University of Houston. It saves the problem of having to find residents to fill up the new housing after the games leave like Rio will have.

Alright so I found this UCLA Housing Master Plan and by 2020 they plan on having enough housing to cover more than 18k undergraduate and graduate students. They mentioned in this snapchat session that they estimate 17k athletes and coaches to be at the 2024 Olympics, so that would more than be able to cover that. But by that time I'm sure they'll continue to increase their housing capacity.

Alright so I found this UCLA Housing Master Plan and by 2020 they plan on having enough housing to cover more than 18k undergraduate and graduate students. They mentioned in this snapchat session that they estimate 17k athletes and coaches to be at the 2024 Olympics, so that would more than be able to cover that. But by that time I'm sure they'll continue to increase their housing capacity.

Well you were right, these facilities will be used.

I am impressed by LA2024's plan to use the UCLA and USC facilities. Plain and simple it just makes sense. the Athletics facilities at UCLA are really state of the art so to have the athlete have access to it in the athletes village is a smart move. The upgrades planned for UCLA and USC were already in the works for their own needs so I think THE OLYMPICS are simply just benefiting from the timing.

LA's bid is truly becoming a Legacy plan. I was worried there a moment but with the Rams coming to LA it makes having the new Stadium built a necessity more importantly for the NFL than for the olympics. I feel where other countries have fallen short is that they create the stadiums and then asks later who wants it after. With LA's new stadium we all know it's for american football, and will pay for itself in time and the Olympics just benefits from having the venue for two weeks in the off season.

It's getting hard to not admit that LA is becoming a true representation of what Agenda 2020 is supposed to be about.

I am not saying LA is now better than Paris because of these recent announcements, but I just like the fact that LA is actually attempting to cut the cost of bidding and hosting the games. I have yet to see a white Elephant in their plan. in my eyes they just got a little bit more competitive in the race and are doing what they need to do. The IOC can't say that LA didn't try to deliver a cost effective games that wouldn't leave decaying venues that will consistently remind the local population of the debt cause by the olympics like Athens.

Well played Los Angeles but will it be enough? I hope so!

• Like 1

No. Sarajev-LA 1984, Atlanta 1996 and Salt Lake 2002 used new/existing dorms. It's what'll save the Olympics.

I thought the IOC objected to using old dorms because they want a single isolated complex for security reasons. IIRC from when I went there, UCLA's administration buildings are right in the middle of campus housing, for example, so they would presumably either have to relocate UCLA's administration staff for the summer or allow non-athletes into the village complex.

I could very well be wrong, though.

Edited by Nacre

I thought the IOC objected to using old dorms because they want a single isolated complex for security reasons. IIRC from when I went there, UCLA's administration buildings are right in the middle of campus housing, for example, so they would presumably either have to relocate UCLA's administration staff for the summer or allow non-athletes into the village complex.

I could very well be wrong, though.

Yeah, they allow non-athletes, who all have security clearance PLUS they fence off the dorm/Village areas so that it''l make some sort of sense. The only major accommodation they did for 1984 was shut down the small nuclear reactor that is on the UCLA campus.

Edited by baron-pierreIV