I would be quite certain that the Olympic Stadium would be a "no fly zone" during the opening ceremonies (as was the case with Salt Lake's opening ceremonies. Not to mention virtually every other Olympics since 9/11), so that's not going to be an issue anyway. As already pointed out, the inglewood proposal faces other challenges instead.

I don't think the Inglewood stadium would be good for ceremonies. It's already in the direct path of the LAX runways and it's gonna be sunken about 100 feet or so to accommodate that. The ceremonies might be a little too distracting for flights coming in, the bright lights on game days are nothing compared to the visual mayhem of Olympic Ceremonies, plus how would they incorporate fireworks? I think the Coliseum location is perfect for ceremonies especially with Downtown LA as the backdrop, it just needs a lot of TLC. The Inglewood site however would make for a great backup Olympic village in case Piggyback Yards fall through, that is unless their timeline for the residential part of the project is well underway. In that case, I would suggest Taylor Yards a few miles up the LA River from Piggyback.

That's NOT going to be the main consideration in producing Ceremonies. It's what's physically best for producing the best Ceremonies show--auxiliary arenas and everything. Besides the new stadium will seem to be partially roofed, so that allows for even greater theatrics and lighting that the Coliseum (or even a wonkily upgraded one) offers. I am sure flights can be suspended for 3.5 hours; and/or diverted to Long Beach Airport, if need be.

Um, no. Flights will not be diverted to Long Beach. There aren't any Airports in the region that could handle LAX's traffic. Also, the Coliseum has multiple entrances not just the entrance under the Peristyle. And as far as having a 6,000 seat theater in inglewood there will be a 22,000 seat stadium along with the Coliseum in Exposition Park.

Another thing that is unrelated to this discussion but will be visible should the games be awarded to Los Angeles. The Space Shuttle Endeavour, California grown and named, will be on display in a glass structure attached to rocket boosters as if ready to lift off at the California Science Center. A recently renovated Natural History Museum, among others, join the Coliseum and the science center along with the LAFC stadium and Galen Center in and immediately adjacent to Exposition Park. This cluster will come pre equipped with cultural opportunities, and the My Figueroa Project, currently underway, will link this Cluster to the Downtown Cluster which includes Staples Center and Microsoft Theater about a mile away. The Expo Line currently connects these 2 clusters.

Uhmm, no. I did NOT say they would be. I said they COULD be diverted to Long Beach. Were you even around for 1984...much less 9/11?

Who cares for that Natural History Museum ? You don't know what you're talking about.

There's only one entrance to the field in the Colisuem is what I think Baron meant.

LA has a whole bunch of Airports in the area. John Wayne, Van Nuys, Ontario, Long Beach. I'm sure they can all take off some load from LAX in the case that the airspace is closed.

#1 - Correct.

#2 - There are also the military airbases around which are called into service on emergencies. After 9/11, they re-routed many planes bound for SFO to San Jose and Sacramento. Ruff, of course, they are diverted to where there are ICE, Custome, etc. Don't you think I know that? :rolleyes:

Long Beach can handle jumbo jets because that is where McDonnell Douglas tested their DC-8s, 9s, and DC-10s, even their SST entry, LONG BEFORE they merged with Boeing.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Long Beach can handle jumbo jets because that is where McDonnell Douglas tested their DC-8s, 9s, and DC-10s, even their SST entry, LONG BEFORE they merged with Boeing.

I am positive Long Beach has night flying restrictions, though. And the last time I was there it only had about six gates.

Orange County would work fine, though.

But all that doesn't matter. I don't think the new stadium will play host to the opening and closing ceremonies. If anything it can be a bargaining chip for LA 24 and USC. I can see USC upping its contribution to the Coliseum as well as LA 24, both private institutions.

How is it a bargaining chip with USC?

I am positive Long Beach has night flying restrictions, though. And the last time I was there it only had about six gates.

Orange County would work fine, though.

I am talking about in times of emergencies. As a possible diversion airport -- NOT in normal times.

Orange County/John Wayne is good only for short-haul jets. I fly there countless times. And it too has night-flying restrictions.

And again, ONLY for emergencies, there is also the Ontario Airport which is classified as an International Airport.

Another thing that is unrelated to this discussion but will be visible should the games be awarded to Los Angeles. The Space Shuttle Endeavour, California grown and named, will be on display in a glass structure attached to rocket boosters as if ready to lift off at the California Science Center. A recently renovated Natural History Museum, among others, join the Coliseum and the science center along with the LAFC stadium and Galen Center in and immediately adjacent to Exposition Park. This cluster will come pre equipped with cultural opportunities, and the My Figueroa Project, currently underway, will link this Cluster to the Downtown Cluster which includes Staples Center and Microsoft Theater about a mile away. The Expo Line currently connects these 2 clusters.

WTF...like...??? Can you try not being a 24/7 LA Tourism Video?

• Like 3

Just stfu.

Yes, that's exactly what bernham (and myself and probably a few others) hope you do. We get that you're extremely passionate about Los Angeles and their Olympic bid, but it gets overbearing at times when you turn this thread into a travelogue. Too many posts that read like "that's a great point you bring up, but let me tell you more about these 4 other unrelated things going on in LA that interest me." Again, it sounds too often like you're a timeshare salesman making your pitch to an audience that may or may not even care. I'm glad you finally summoned the courage to post in another thread (which is to say, I'm glad you took the bait I left you there :D ). It doesn't have to be all LA all the time though. Especially since there are other candidates out there that eventually LA will be competing against.

• Like 1

It's like a group of women teaming up like mean girls in here. Get a life losers and get back on topic.

Losers? Yet here you are in the thick of it. :rolleyes:

There's NO concerted conspiracy vs. u. Your rather obtuse and persistent stance, and knocking everyone down, brings everyone against you. People disagree w/ you very strongly -- which they are entitled to; and that always happens in discussion boards. It's a fact of life. Also, some here have a few rounds of this whole "bidding" business ahead of you, so . . .. :rolleyes:

I'm going to attempt to redirect this.

Regarding the City of Champions stadium, it's almost certainly going to be a retractable roof stadium, completely not partially. Stan Kroenke wants his palace to be able to host Super Bowls, Final Fours, the College Football Championship game and probably the occasional Lakers, Clippers, Kings, or UCLA basketball game. He needs a retractable roof stadium for that. Given that, I cannot see how a Los Angeles Olympics would use the stadium for just ceremonies, football or rugby. I would think gymnastics or basketball are practically ticketed for the venue especially if there's some money in it for Kroenke.

Two ways they could approach this. First choose either gymnastics or basketball and put the event right in the stadium's center. The NCAA and the NBA already do this. Yes as pointed out the sightlines aren't ideal (found this out when I went to the NBA All-Star game a few years ago at AT&T Stadium) but the idea of 80,000 spectators watching the gold medal basketball games or the all-around finals means a lot more tickets sold and more money to be made. As for subdividing the stadium in two, it's not ideal but it is not impossible. AT&T Stadium had a gymnastics event last spring and they easily divided the stadium in two (used only one half) and that was with the enormous jumbotron Jerry Jones has hanging from the roof. Also up until recently, the NCAA often subdivided the large domed stadiums (Georgia Dome, Alamodome, Hoosier Dome, NRG Stadium) in two and only used half of them. One final point, the original L.A. plans involved the now defunct Farmers Field hosting basketball. I'd say the committee is salivating over the prospect of basketball or gymnastics in Inglewood right now.