LA is perfect for 2024. But venues too spread and they need to improve public transport.

LA already hosted the Olympics twice. The most recent one in 1984 was a huge success. It sucks the venues are spread out, but its the best option available for the USOC.

Most of the venues from the 1984 Games still exist. Basketball would be held at the Forum. Gymnastics at the Staples Center. Field Hockey at the Stubhub Center. The campuses of UCLA and USC are perfect locations for other events and training centers. The LA Convention Center can house the broadcast and press facilities as well as host additional events such as weightlifting, taekwondo, wrestling, judo, and fencing. Although its clear LA will get an NFL franchise before the end of the decade, the ceremonies and athletics events will be held at the Coliseum. The only major venue missing is the swimming and the only thing you need to do is to build a temporary pool on the Coliseum parking lot and build temporary stadia that'll cram 20,000 people and the press. 80% of the projected venues are built. The only major thing missing is the Olympic Village.

LA already hosted the Olympics twice. The most recent one in 1984 was a huge success. It sucks the venues are spread out, but its the best option available for the USOC.

Most of the venues from the 1984 Games still exist. Basketball would be held at the Forum. Gymnastics at the Staples Center. Field Hockey at the Stubhub Center. The campuses of UCLA and USC are perfect locations for other events and training centers. The LA Convention Center can house the broadcast and press facilities as well as host additional events such as weightlifting, taekwondo, wrestling, judo, and fencing. Although its clear LA will get an NFL franchise before the end of the decade, the ceremonies and athletics events will be held at the Coliseum. The only major venue missing is the swimming and the only thing you need to do is to build a temporary pool on the Coliseum parking lot and build temporary stadia that'll cram 20,000 people and the press. 80% of the projected venues are built. The only major thing missing is the Olympic Village.

dchang, LA 2024's blueprint already came out on their website -- which may reappear again. USC will be the main Athletes' Village; UCLA will be the media village. For Swimming, they will use part of the soccer stadium at the Coliseum for that. Spread-out is NOT a problem any more because the IOC will not mind if several sports are distributed throughout a country. So what's a city (Long Beach) one hour south of the anchor city? Only problem with 2024 is that that is the 3rd SOGs in a row that, if it goes to the US, will be held outside Europe -- and that has never happened before. So ...

dchang, LA 2024's blueprint already came out on their website -- which may reappear again. USC will be the main Athletes' Village; UCLA will be the media village. For Swimming, they will use part of the soccer stadium at the Coliseum for that. Spread-out is NOT a problem any more because the IOC will not mind if several sports are distributed throughout a country. So what's a city (Long Beach) one hour south of the anchor city? Only problem with 2024 is that that is the 3rd SOGs in a row that, if it goes to the US, will be held outside Europe -- and that has never happened before. So ...

If it comes down to a US bid vs a European bid, I think the US still has a much better chance. The last 3 Olympics we hosted all ended up making a profit, albeit a small one for some, we at least broke even unlike many of the previous hosts. And it's never happened before that we had 2 Asian cities in a row hosting a Winter Olympics, nor 3 Asian Olympic host cities of any kind in a row, but it's happening. Not being back in Europe for a Summer Olympics for 2024 is definitely in the realm of possiblity.

. And it's never happened before that we had 2 Asian cities in a row hosting a Winter Olympics, nor 3 Asian Olympic host cities of any kind in a row, but it's happening.

I'd say that's EVEN all the more reason for returning 2024 to Europe!! It would've been 4 Olympic Games (2016, 2018, 2020, 2022; World Cup 2022) outside Europe. They will want those Games back on European soil, come hell or high water . That's why they picked Lima to be the 2024 selection city. So it would be a neutral site for a return to Europe. And especially if Durban sits the 2024 race out and sort of has signaled they will shoot for 2028 instead -- so 2024 would be an opportune slot to bring a European Games in since it will swing out to Africa in 2028.

My prediction: USA will lose 2024 but will win World Cup 2026 as a consolation prize (and as a 250th Anniversary gift.). 2024 goes to Berlin or Paris or Rome. I hope I am wrong.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I'd say that's EVEN all the more reason for returning 2024 to Europe!! It would've been 4 Olympic Games (2016, 2018, 2020, 2022; World Cup 2022) outside Europe. They will want those Games back on European soil, come hell or high water . That's why they picked Lima to be the 2024 selection city. So it would be a neutral site for a return to Europe. And especially if Durban sits the 2024 race out and sort of has signaled they will shoot for 2028 instead -- so 2024 would be an opportune slot to bring a European Games in since it will swing out to Africa in 2028.

My prediction: USA will lose 2024 but will win World Cup 2026 as a consolation prize (and as a 250th Anniversary gift.). 2024 goes to Berlin or Paris. I hope I am wrong.

Hm, I must say this scenario is one of the likelier you have posted ;) However, instead of Paris/Berlin....let's throw St Pete into the equation. It would also be too close for comfort from Helsinki, and I don't believe Vlad for a moment that Russia wouldn't bid. 2024 marks the possible end of his second two-term run as President, Olympics in his hometown...it's just too tempting not to go for it, no matter how the West thinks about Russia these days.

Hm, I must say this scenario is one of the likelier you have posted ;) However, instead of Paris/Berlin....let's throw St Pete into the equation. It would also be too close for comfort from Helsinki, and I don't believe Vlad for a moment that Russia wouldn't bid. 2024 marks the possible end of his second two-term run as President, Olympics in his hometown...it's just too tempting not to go for it, no matter how the West thinks about Russia these days.

Nah. But Vlad/Russia have been bad boys. Moscow just got the Shooting championships. So maybe that's all they're good for while Vlad and his gang sit in the Kremlin. After Sochi and the Crimea grab, I doubt that the IOC will like to return to Russian soil so soon.

Nah. But Vlad/Russia have been bad boys. Moscow just got the Shooting championships. So maybe that's all they're good for while Vlad and his gang sit in the Kremlin. After Sochi and the Crimea grab, I doubt that the IOC will like to return to Russian soil so soon.

I guess a lot of the IOC is somewhat tied to Vlad, so he's a very influential power in that circle. Underestimate at your own peril.

How is "a lot of the IOC somewhat 'tied' to Vlad". I'm with Baron on that one. The IOC just gave Putin his big pomp & pony show in Sochi. And not only the Crimea incident, but also having some sort of hand in shooting down a commercial airliner right from the sky, etc, must leave a bad taste in many peoples' mouths.

Unless Paris, Berlin & Rome all don't bid, I can't see a Russian 2024 bid gaining all that much steam. And even then, turning down yet another U.S. bid, after all the work the USOC has done to try & mend relations with the IOC, & let's not forget the MEGA Billion $$ NBC broadcasting deal that has just been signed, won't be at all easy to just overlook. Like Beijing (& Almaty) 2022, St. Petersburg 2024 ain't happening unless their only competition is Baku-ku.

The olympic village and media village will be along the revilationized la river for 2024 not on the USC and UCLA campus.
  • Like 1

How is "a lot of the IOC somewhat 'tied' to Vlad". I'm with Baron on that one. The IOC just gave Putin his big pomp & pony show in Sochi. And not only the Crimea incident, but also having some sort of hand in shooting down a commercial airliner right from the sky, etc, must leave a bad taste in many peoples' mouths.

Unless Paris, Berlin & Rome all don't bid, I can't see a Russian 2024 bid gaining all that much steam. And even then, turning down yet another U.S. bid, after all the work the USOC has done to try & mend relations with the IOC, & let's not forget the MEGA Billion $$ NBC broadcasting deal that has just been signed, won't be at all easy to just overlook. Like Beijing (& Almaty) 2022, St. Petersburg 2024 ain't happening unless their only competition is Baku-ku.

Still think if Paris goes full steam for the centenary 2024 Games, they would be European favourites. Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Finland, UK , Spain, Greece etc have all hosted a Summer Games since the last French Summer Games.

Still think if Paris goes full steam for the centenary 2024 Games, they would be European favourites.

I didn't say otherwise. What I was negating that somehow a St. Petersburg run would be some sort of big threat due to certain 'influences'.

I don't see it, unless of course again, Baku &/or Doha are the only other bidder(s). I agree that a Paris candidacy would give EVERYONE a good run for their money.

Still think if Paris goes full steam for the centenary 2024 Games, they would be European favourites. Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Finland, UK , Spain, Greece etc have all hosted a Summer Games since the last French Summer Games.

But I don't think anyone (other than the French Olympic Committee) in Paris is thinking "Centenary." I think the Parisians have been burned so many times in the last 2 decades that they'd just want to walk away from this. There's such a thing also as bidding fatigue.

Anniversaries, as evident to Atlanta being chosen for the 1996 games, means nothing to the IOC. And for good reason. If there are better options than Paris to host I'd say the IOC should go for it. I'm interested in seeing a German bid happen this time around if not the US.

• 3 weeks later...

Take this for what it's worth because it's certainly not the first such rumor, nor will it be the last..

Owner of St. Louis Rams plans to build NFL stadium in Inglewood

Rams owner Stan Kroenke, who bought 60 acres adjacent to the Forum a year ago, has joined forces with the owners of the 238-acre Hollywood Park site, Stockbridge Capital Group. They plan to add an 80,000-seat NFL stadium and 6,000-seat performance venue to the already-massive development of retail, office, hotel and residential space, Stockbridge and the Kroenke Group told The Times.
The announcement is the latest in more than a dozen stadium proposals that have come and gone in the meandering, two-decade effort to bring an NFL franchise back to the nation's second-largest media market. But Kroenke's move marks the first time an existing team owner has controlled a local site large enough for a stadium and parking.

Take this for what it's worth because it's certainly not the first such rumor, nor will it be the last..

Owner of St. Louis Rams plans to build NFL stadium in Inglewood

For LA residents, that's a better location than the other City of Industry location. Beside the Forum, that would give LA another sports-entertainment cluster.

For LA residents, that's a better location than the other City of Industry location. Beside the Forum, that would give LA another sports-entertainment cluster.

There's a perception (not actually true) that Inglewood is dangerous. Very interesting to watch all the LA proposals, and the undercurrent of city/surburb biases.

There's a perception (not actually true) that Inglewood is dangerous. Very interesting to watch all the LA proposals, and the undercurrent of city/surburb biases.

Perhaps if there was a massive revitalization/urban renewal project, it would change that perception and turn it into a less dangerous area. Wouldn't be the first such transformation of a neighborhood, let alone one buoyed by a sports venue

• 7 months later...

The stadium plan in Inglewood is in an enclosed area, so it could maybe be a basketball alternative for Farmers Field (though it's a glass ceiling). There's also a 6k seater theater planned, and a bunch of mixed buildings (possible athletes' village?), so those stuff might be included in the new plan, assuming the Inglewood plan goes through.