Los Angeles lol. AF, we pretty much agree that you now need a megacity to host the SOG. The 4 US cities mentioned time & again are New York, Chicago, San Fran, & LA. It's been said that NYC aren't really interested in bidding, & the same probably goes for Chicago after 09. The IOC won't want to go to a city that bids without really wanting the games. This leaves LA & SF. San Fran probably could do it, but they've been rejected twice by USOC, & it would be their first proper bid. LA has the location, the climate, the landscapes, the history to appeal to members of the IOC. Not forgetting the SCCOG, which I think I'm right in saying is unique in the world. They also have the LA84 Foundation, & all the other legacies in place. If the US wants the summer games, they should go for Los Angeles.

If the US want the SOGs, they have to go to LA IMO.

Acronym overload... :lol:

Los Angeles lol. AF, we pretty much agree that you now need a megacity to host the SOG. The 4 US cities mentioned time & again are New York, Chicago, San Fran, & LA. It's been said that NYC aren't really interested in bidding, & the same probably goes for Chicago after 09. The IOC won't want to go to a city that bids without really wanting the games. This leaves LA & SF. San Fran probably could do it, but they've been rejected twice by USOC, & it would be their first proper bid. LA has the location, the climate, the landscapes, the history to appeal to members of the IOC. Not forgetting the SCCOG, which I think I'm right in saying is unique in the world. They also have the LA84 Foundation, & all the other legacies in place. If the US wants the summer games, they should go for Los Angeles.

I don't see why they need to go to LA either. If we're talking about 2024, then yes, they're probably the best option. Chicago emphatically said no. New York hasn't said anything. San Francisco doesn't seem to have their act together. And now LA is pushing the USOC even harder. Obviously no city is even going to consider bidding unless they really want the games. Right now, Chicago and New York don't. Who knows if that changes should 2024 be somewhere other than the United States and 1 or both of those cities changes their tune for 2028/2032. We all know that Los Angeles has a lot of what they need in place to host an Olympics, but I don't think they're as close to the full package as you might think. And as the rhetoric goes here.. unless they can come up with a compelling narrative to host another Olympics (to say they want to host for a 3rd time is not a narrative, that's a cop out), I doubt they'd be able to compete strongly against a Paris or an Istanbul.

I still think 2024 is too early for any American city. In any case, I do support the idea of another city like NYC until 2032 when they'll have more chances and so far away from the Centennial Games. But why to stick to the same cities. Now with Athens, London and Tokyo, plus Paris' plans to bid on 2024.

For the most part I agree. Well, with Munich or Oslo too, that'll bode well for an LA bid. There is no need for a compelling narrative for a 3rd run after the string of London 3, Tokyo 2, Munich/Oslo 2. And an LA 3 would be irresistable only after Durban..thereby having made the IOC check off all the empty boxes.

East cost 'till we die, Mr. Hektor.

Anyways, it'd be good if one of those cities tried to host the PanAm games first. It'd be a gesture very much appreciated by many IOC executives. Toronto thought this really well. I see Toronto bidding for '24 and '28 and winning it. Either on the first try (if Paris messes up) or on the second one.

East cost 'till we die, Mr. Hektor.

Anyways, it'd be good if one of those cities tried to host the PanAm games first. It'd be a gesture very much appreciated by many IOC executives. Toronto thought this really well. I see Toronto bidding for '24 and '28 and winning it. Either on the first try (if Paris messes up) or on the second one.

I don't think the IOC cares if a US hosts the Pan Ams first or not. Those lesser multi-sport events can really help a new frontier prepare and prove itself (Rio, Durban, perhaps Istanbul), but aren't necessary for powerhouses (Japan, UK, USA, etc.)

• Like 1

I don't see why they need to go to LA either. If we're talking about 2024, then yes, they're probably the best option. Chicago emphatically said no. New York hasn't said anything. San Francisco doesn't seem to have their act together. And now LA is pushing the USOC even harder. Obviously no city is even going to consider bidding unless they really want the games. Right now, Chicago and New York don't. Who knows if that changes should 2024 be somewhere other than the United States and 1 or both of those cities changes their tune for 2028/2032. We all know that Los Angeles has a lot of what they need in place to host an Olympics, but I don't think they're as close to the full package as you might think. And as the rhetoric goes here.. unless they can come up with a compelling narrative to host another Olympics (to say they want to host for a 3rd time is not a narrative, that's a cop out), I doubt they'd be able to compete strongly against a Paris or an Istanbul.

they night go a london route with the regeneration of L.A. river and put in a inspire a generation kind of feel.

For the most part I agree. Well, with Munich or Oslo too, that'll bode well for an LA bid. There is no need for a compelling narrative for a 3rd run after the string of London 3, Tokyo 2, Munich/Oslo 2. And an LA 3 would be irresistable only after Durban..thereby having made the IOC check off all the empty boxes.

I really just don't see North America getting 2024 anyway at this point. I think the only candidate that could snatch the Games from Europe for 2024 is a South African candidate. Or even if ambiguous Istanbul tries again.

why is there fascination of a African country hosting the games?

i keep seeing a bunch of speculation about this in the forum, mostly from baron.

is it a last tickbox on an olympics bid bingo card?

also, if there is any country that has a chance on hosting the games in the African continent. it was Egypt. (pre-arabs spring)

i keep seeing a bunch of speculation about this in the forum, mostly from baron.

also, if there is any country that has a chance on hosting the games in the African continent. it was Egypt. (pre-arabs spring)

Because it's the last continent the IOC has yet to visit. And it's not just fascination and speculation on this forum. Members of the IOC have been talking about it for a while now. They want to see an Olympics in Africa, in part yes because it's the last tickbox on an Olympics bid bingo card. But it will also mean that the IOC will be able to stake the claim to having held their event in every corner of the globe.

And you're wrong on that last part. South Africa is more than likely going to be that first country. Egypt bid for the 2008 Olympics with Cairo and didn't even make the shortlist. South Africa bid 4 years earlier with Cape Town and did make the shortlist. They have the experience of having hosted a World Cup. And given the political turmoil in Egypt right now, it's probably going to be awhile before that country calms down to the point they have their sights set on an Olympics.

. Egypt bid for the 2008 Olympics with Cairo and didn't even make the shortlist.

And Egypt had Alexandria bid for the 1916 and 1936 Games when they were the only African country to have an IOC member (actually a Greek-born man who had his career in Egypt) in that time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_for_Olympic_Games

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

I think the only other place in Africa that could have been an "attractive" host would've been Nairobi, Kenya....but after the whole mall attack today and the consistent terror threat over the past few years...I think its safe to say South Africa is about the only country that can host an Olympics in Africa right now.

Because it's the last continent the IOC has yet to visit. And it's not just fascination and speculation on this forum. Members of the IOC have been talking about it for a while now. They want to see an Olympics in Africa, in part yes because it's the last tickbox on an Olympics bid bingo card. But it will also mean that the IOC will be able to stake the claim to having held their event in every corner of the globe.

And you're wrong on that last part. South Africa is more than likely going to be that first country. Egypt bid for the 2008 Olympics with Cairo and didn't even make the shortlist. South Africa bid 4 years earlier with Cape Town and did make the shortlist. They have the experience of having hosted a World Cup. And given the political turmoil in Egypt right now, it's probably going to be awhile before that country calms down to the point they have their sights set on an Olympics.

ok i get it now. also, as an idea, johannesburg night be a good place to bis it

Why is there any 'fascination' of ANY country hosting the Olympics? And it's not just 'speculation' from baron or anyone else here, but it's also in the media & within the IOC itself. And it's mostly because the Olympics are a global event, & yes because it is now the last 'tickbox' after South America just got awarded their first Games four years ago. Going back before Rio 2016 was awarded, the 'speculation' was: "when will 'both' South America & Africa get to host the Olympics". Well, one of those has finally been answered. Now the pressure is on to finally get the last one checked off. It's obviously more complex than a 'bingo card' for all parties involved, including the IOC.

Ano, no. Totally disagree about Egypt. Not with their massive political instability that never seems to get better. Some were even citing that as a potential negative for Istanbul 2020. South Africa is really the only country on the African continent, ATM, that could host an Olympics. Plus, IMHO, I really wouldn't consider Egypt to be a per se an "African" Games, even though yes, technically they're on the African countinent. I think first, it'd be viewed as a Muslim/Middle Eastern Games before it'd be viewed as "African". Just like Istanbul 2020 would've been viewed much in the same light before it would've been viewed as "European or Asian" Games. So in those two aspects alone, South Africa 'ticks' those two checkboxes much better.

And Egypt had Alexandria bid for the 1916 and 1936 Games when they were the only African country to have an IOC member (actually a Greek-born man who had his career in Egypt) in that time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_for_Olympic_Games

Good old days when the Mid East was multicultural and progressive!

I actually want LA to bid for 2024. They will not win, and that could stave off a winter bid for 2026. Then maybe another U.S. city can swoop in for 2028 or 2032 and has a better chance at winning. LA doesn't seem to mind bidding (and losing), plus it gives an argument for another U.S. city when they bid - "we gave you our top three cities, and you have turned them all down... please, pretty please pick us!!!" :lol:

In other news, Chicago is moving forward with plans to build a new arena that would have been nice should they have won 2016.

See pictures here

Edited by Soaring

Los Angeles hoping Rio 2016 Olympic marathon trials will give boost to 2024 campaign

By Duncan Mackay

Los_Angeles_Marathon.jpgSeptember 26 - Los Angeles is hoping to give its proposed bid to host the 2024 Olympics and Paralympics a boost by staging the United States marathon trials for Rio 2016.

Civic and business leaders are getting ready to roll out the red carpet for USA Track & Field (USATF) officials, who will soon select the host city for the 2016 American Olympic marathon trials.

Los Angeles is one of three cites shortlisted to host the event, along with Cincinnati and Houston.

City officials in the Californian city believe that staging the Olympic marathon Trials just a year before the International Olympic Committee (IOC) is due to pick the host for the 2024 Olympics and Paralympics would be the ideal opportunity to showcase their bid.

That, of course, depends on them getting the nomination from the United States Olympic Committee, a decision on which is due next year.

If they succeeded, Los Angeles would be the second city after London to host the Olympics three times.

"Our city has a rich and vibrant Olympic history, having hosted the Games in 1932 and 1984," said Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti.

"The legacy of the 1984 Games lives on today, and our great city is ready to show the nation that our Olympic spirit continues to thrive."

Three-time Olympian Deena Kastor, who grew up in Southern California and won the bronze medal in the marathon at Athens 2004 claimed Los Angeles is the perfect place to host the trials, given its rich history in the event.

"In 1984, when Joan Benoit won the first women's Olympic marathon here in Los Angeles, she inspired a generation of runners including myself," said Kastor, who competed in the 2013 Los Angeles Marathon.

"This city really welcomed me and the other runners at this year's marathon and I am confident LA would put on a great event for the 2016 Olympic marathon trials."

Joan_Benoit_wins_Los_Angeles_1984.jpgAmerican Joan Benoit won the inaugural Olympic women's marathon at Los Angeles in 1984

USATF officials are due to meet with elected officials, business and civic leaders in Los Angeles next Monday and Tuesday (September 30 and October 1) as part of the site selection process.

They will view potential course options, and will talk to marathon officials about the logistics of the event, which would see the top three finishers in both the men's and women's races represent the US at Rio 2016.

The Olympic Trials effort is being spearheaded by officials with the ASICS LA Marathon, which would host the event in March 2016, the day before the mass event, which attracts a sell-out field of 24,000.

Source: http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2024/1016212-los-angeles-hoping-rio-2016-olympic-marathon-trials-will-give-boost-to-2024-campaign

Someone posted on SSC the revitalization plan for LA's river and the extensive metro network in the works for the metropolis. I think the combined idea of those in a "FLOW" theme can and should make a compelling theme to bring the Games for a 3rd time to LA--much like London somehow used the Thames for its 2012 bid.

But to make a 3rd LA bid work on its first try, they have to:

- move many of the water venues from Long Beach to Santa Monica;

- put out stunning rends of a rejuvenated Coliseum; and

- time it for the 100th anniversary of the 1932 Games. That would make it more sentimental to the IOC without having the 1984 Games (which saved their nearly bankrupt organization) be in their face too much. But again, the USOC and LA will have to time it right.