Los Angeles throws its hat in the ring for 2024 Olympics

By Jill Painter, Staff Writer

POSTED:

05/14/13, 1:54 PM PDT | UPDATED: ON 05/31/2013

Los Angeles wants the 2024 Olympic Games.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa informed the United States Olympic Committee on Thursday that the city is interested in hosting the Olympics for a third time. L.A. previously hosted the 1932 and 1984 games.

Last month, the USOC sent a letter to at least 30 cities gauging their interest in hosting the games. Los Angeles is believed to be the first city to throw its hat in the ring.

David Simon, president of the Southern California Committee for the Olympic Games, is confident Los Angeles has what it takes to host again.

"You can certainly talk about a history and tradition when it comes to the Olympics that's really unmatched by few other cities in the world, and certainly not in the U.S. because we've hosted it twice," Simon said. "We have a wealth of existing facilities and not just facilities that existed when we hosted in '84. For the most part, there are existing facilities, but back then we didn't have Staples Center, Home Depot, Honda Center, and now you've got the Galen Center. We really have a lot of new buildings and there's even talk of some more in the coming years."

Such as a new NFL stadium. AEG has submitted downtown plans for a stadium, and Ed Roski's Majestic Realty is ready to build one in the City of Industry.

Last year, the Los Angeles City Council passed a resolution in support of a 2024 bid. About six weeks ago, Villaraigosa sent a letter to the USOC, co-signed by AEG president Tim Leiweke, actor Tom Hanks, Dodgers part owner Magic Johnson, former Olympic swimmer Janet Evans and others, expressing interest in the bid. This week's letter from Villaraigosa was meant to confirm the city's "enthusiastic interest" in bidding for 2024.

"The exciting part for us is that we found out some weeks ago that the USOC is embarking on a process to pick a city," Simon said. "They passed on 2020 and we weren't sure, until recently, if they were interested in 2024."

Woodland Hills resident Beverly Shaffer, 84, was a big part of the 1984 Olympics and has fond memories of the event. She has a clock in her living room that has the 1984 Olympic Games logo and two goblets on her dining room table.

And she is quick to point out how lucrative the Olympics were for the city - to the tune of more than $200 million as the first Summer Games to turn a profit.

"We have some nice facilities because of it," said Shaffer, a track official and volunteer for the 1984 Olympics. "Having so much money come in was wonderful, and there were a lot of organizations that benefited from some of the profits. A lot went to youth organizations. We didn't have any problems with traffic or any other real problems. I thought it was a favorable thing for Los Angeles."

Shaffer's husband, Stuart, was also a volunteer and track official for the games. Beverly Shaffer was on committees that met before the games, including the torch committee in which they planned its route. She also volunteered in the media center.

"Everyone was hospitable," Shaffer said. "It was a wonderful experience for all - volunteers, people who lived here and incoming visitors."

In 1984, the Olympics kicked off in memorable fashion when Rafer Johnson lit the torch in the opening ceremonies and Carl Lewis won four gold medals.

As for what's next, Los Angeles must wait. After all, the host city won't be selected until 2017.

"They told us it will be less elaborate and less expensive in terms of times and resources than the last couple of bid cycles," Simon said. "They haven't spelled out what that means, but they made a decision to do it in a new way. Evidently, they're prepared to take up to two years. This is the first step in what is undoubtedly a long journey."

http://www.dailynews.com/20130307/los-angeles-throws-its-hat-in-the-ring-for-2024-olympics

We need to do SD first then SF, wouldn't that burn in out east!

We are the 8th-ish biggest economy on earth after all.

Cali I wish I could quit you, your f-ing up my personal life.......but that's another story.

I'll make an exception if Chicago rises again one day! God remember when that torch logo came out, brilliant! Who would have ever though orange and aqua could be combined so beautifully..

Edited by paul

We need to do SD first then SF, wouldn't that burn in out east! :)

Cali I wish I could quit you, your fucking up my personal life.......but that's another story.

I'll make an exception if Chicago rises again one day! God remember when that torch logo came out, brilliant! Who would have ever though orange and aqua could be combined so beautifully.

That logo was awesome. Too bad the IOC didn't like it.

We need to do SD first then SF, wouldn't that burn in out east!

Cali I wish I could quit you, your fucking up my personal life.......but that's another story.

I'll make an exception if Chicago rises again one day! God remember when that torch logo came out, brilliant! Who would have ever though orange and aqua could be combined so beautifully..

I have the feeling that had they won the games they would have changed it back. I hope they bid again, or another US city can create a bid that wonderful.

It’s a visual language that London did not approach in my opinion, much more complex but more unified and adept. It was the perfect look at the perfect time in the right place.

runn Sebastian run!

sebastiancoe800mfinal.jpg

3389332946_a95bf2ed20.jpg

tickets.jpg

never noticed those stars at the rim of the stadium.....cool.

LA1984_GQ_03Aug12_Getty_b_642x390.jpeg

10837_or.jpg

always loved this shot

Festive+Federalism+1984+Los+Angeles+Summ

I LOVE that station wagon, gotta get me one...or a ranchero form the same era.

uclaolympicvillage21984.jpg

AP840728055.jpg?itok=GcHsvzoj

Never saw this before...!

concept drawing.

Entrance tower to Vermont Boulevard to the 1984 Olympics by John Spohrer, Archisystems International, 1984. Color pencil, crayon, and ink drawing on tracing paper (detail), 24 3/8 x 30 1/16 (61.9 x 76.4 cm), 1983. Collection of John Spohrer, Los Angeles

gm_337341ex1.jpg

%22Festive+Federalism%22+1984+Los+Angele

tower1984olympics.jpg

Sometime my least well funded projects become the bigges triumphs! ....something about the challens makes creative thinking more focused and effective maybe! I love when that happens!

Well, I couldn't find the exact figure LAOOC alloted the Jerde partnership for that Look...but if you will see, they used the cheapest materials available. And it did work, and allowed the LAOOC to attain that surplus of $220 million+

Yeah, it does look cheap. Try to get away with that now, especially in today's instant, critical media world! Lmfao! :-D

Like, seriously....would you even consider doing that NOW? It was decades ago, not now! However, there are brilliant ideas and concepts in this look that were beyond perfect for their time. To each their own but this was a watershed moment in Olympic design! The last great look before this was probably Berlin and their evil and brilliantly powerful Nazi Olympics propaganda extravaganza!

Edited by paul

Like, seriously....would you even consider doing that NOW? It was decades ago, not now! However, there are brilliant ideas and concepts in this look that were beyond perfect for their time. To each their own but this was a watershed moment in Olympic design! The last great look before this was probably Berlin and their evil and brilliantly powerful Nazi Olympics propaganda extravaganza!

Amen! It was a home run.

• 4 weeks later...
How Serious Is LA About Hosting the 2024 Summer Olympics?LA2024.jpg
Every few years it seems like half the cities in the country vie for a chance to host the Olympics, and LA is no different. Most bids don't have much in the way of support and fizzle out early, and we'd assumed LA's 2024 talk was no different--for instance, we put so much thought into our "applicant city" logo for 2024 that we just copied the one we used for 2020. But there have been a few signs that this city's actually taking this thing seriously. First, the LA Times speculated that the flurry of exciting developments proposed along the LA River might indicate real interest in hosting the 2024 Summer Olympics (the bid "could include new facilities near or along the river," apparently), and said City Hall was abuzz with the notion. Now The Source--Metro's blog--is getting in on the tea leaf reading, wondering how LA's transit expansion might play into a bid.

Is it possible that current talk of accelerating transit projects isn't just about assuaging impatient tax payers but is designed to possibly appeal to the International Olympic Committee? "Cities almost always promise key infrastructure upgrades as part of their Olympic bids. And there are a couple of Measure R projects that I'm guessing Olympic officials might be interested in: the Purple Line Extension to Westwood and the Airport Metro Connector, currently scheduled to be done in 2036 and 2028, respectively." The Purple Line extension is important to get spectators to potential venues at UCLA (like Pauley Pavillion).This is all just speculation--and a final decision isn't due until 2017--but Eric Garcetti's reaffirming of LA's interest in hosting duties on his first day as Mayor (pdf) adds grist to the mill. If the Olympics do come back to LA, here's hoping Airbnb is still around so we can gouge all those tourists who come to rent our houses, apartments, and couches.

· Notes on transit: the 2024 Olympics, Measure R and project acceleration [The Source]

· Will the LA River Star in Los Angeles's 2024 Olympics Bid? [Curbed LA]

Source: http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/09/how_serious_is_la_about_hosting_the_2024_summer_olympics.php

Supervisors vote to support L.A. bid for 2024 Olympics

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOS ANGELES The Board of Supervisors voted its support today for bringing the Olympic Games to Los Angeles in the summer of 2024.

The board will send a letter to the United States Olympic Committee to formalize its interest and cooperate with the Southern California Committee for the Olympic Games in its hosting bid.

``Los Angeles is home to more Olympians than anywhere in the world, and has twice hosted the summer Olympic Games,'' said Supervisor Ridley-Thomas, who recommended the move.

The Los Angeles City Council on Aug. 13 issued a unanimous resolution of support of hosting the 2024 games. But more than half of the venues would be outside the city limits and within the county of Los Angeles, according to Barry Sanders, chairman of the committee managing the bid.

Funding for the bid will come from private, not public, sources, according to Sanders.

Other cities that have expressed interest in making a bid include Dallas, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. A bid by Boston is also under consideration, while a proposed joint bid by San Diego-Tijuana was quashed by international rules.

Los Angeles lost its bid as the 2016 U.S. option to Chicago, though the games were ultimately awarded to Rio de Janeiro.

`` In this game, persistence wins,'' Sanders said.

Source: http://wavenewspapers.com/sports/article_1e01f168-1ffa-11e3-84f8-001a4bcf6878.html