Meeting Fellow GB Members

mattygs

We're a huge online community covering most parts of the globe, some more heavily than others. Wondering who here has had the pleasure of meeting other GB members face to face?

In the 13 years of being on GB (or TSG before it), I've managed to meet 2 peoples in the flesh.

OlympicUSA (who used to post here a number of years ago quite frequently) I met while he was studying at Victoria uni in Wellington. Made a trip up to the Mt for a visit one day.

CFM Jeremie I met up with while I was in Lausanne in 2011. Had a great day with him at the Olympic Museum , and enjoyed a nice meal out at the end of the day before heading catching the train to Barcelona.

Be interesting to hear if there have been many other meetings of members.

Sir Rols - we met in Hamburg two times. We made a trip to Berlin together. I visited him in Sydney and we travelled along the coast of Queensland together and we shared the flat in London during the Olympics

Lee - we watched the ESC 2010 together in Manchester and we were both at the ESC 2011 in Düsseldorf. We met in London, Manchester and in Hamburg

daveypodmore - we met in Berlin first and we had a very nice day in London (will never forget the St. Pauls experience). During the Olympics we met several times

NOC - I met him several times in London and hanged out a great day in Berlin together

Citzen-Seth - we shared the flat in London during the Olympics and it was really a great Olympic experience!

jimjam - we met in Geneva and went to Lausanne to visit the Olympic Museum together
amorincognito - we met in Berlin and had a great day together
Mainad - we had a very nice evening in a pub in Manchester (Britons Protection) - had some very nice english beers...
memorabilia - I had the luck to meet him at the Olympics in London

Yeah, well, I've met CAF of course, and suspect we'll meet up again.

OlympicUSA when he visited Sydney while on his NZ sojourn.

Baron twice (well, we caught up a couple of times the second visit this year).

Also met up with LA84 the first time I met Baron - we had lunch in SF. Great guy, and a really sad loss to the board that he's departed.

Krow and I had a drink together in Vegas once (I think it was the Mirage)

Seth last year at the GamesBids flat in London.

And Davey Podmore with CAF for dinner and to see Matilda in the West End last year during the games.

I think that's it - apologies if I've forgotten anyone - and do embarrass me by reminding me here, I'd deserve it!

Strangely, I've never met up with any of the other Aussie members, even the fellow Sydneysiders. And I know I was even living very close, like one suburb away, from NOC for a while. tried to catch up with Vol (the old-timers would remember her) when CAF was in Sydney, but it just didn't work out.

Good God, a German who likes English beer! :P:p

What is/was TSG, matt?

TSG was TorontoSummerGames, the pre-curser to Gamesbids, it was around when Toronto was in the running for the 2008 Games. I remember first coming on here when the message board was one long threaded list, I think it eventually took the current form, certainly in time for the lead up to the 2000 Games.

Strangely, I've never met up with any of the other Aussie members, even the fellow Sydneysiders. And I know I was even living very close, like one suburb away, from NOC for a while. tried to catch up with Vol (the old-timers would remember her) when CAF was in Sydney, but it just didn't work out.

Vol was always a pleasure to read on here, I remember once upon a times there were the rumours of a GB relationship involving Vol. haha.

Like you , I've never met any other members in this part of the world. I've certainly become close (in an online sense) to a number of people over the years - Steve, Andrew Syd and Jono (woohoo from way back when) etc etc, but still to catch up with any of them.

Krow and I had a drink together in Vegas once (I think it was the Mirage)

a million years ago it seems! and vol is someone i would have liked to have met. we were great pals back when. we used to exchange xmas cards and she sent me a vial of sand from australia once for some reason.

i've also met ejay and nyk, who has become a good irl friend. thx gamesbids!

gb bucket list: puppy (to finally get the season of batman he owes me), x (not on a school night of course), michelle, scotguy (shirtless), mr carta (leather and lube), kaufy (hottie), maybe rob (funny accent), oh and andrew i.of course.

Haven't met anyone personally, but there are a handful of past and current members that know my real identity. And this despite being from probably one of the most represented of cities on GB. Is any city currently greater represented on these boards than Toronto and surrounding areas? Off the top of my head, I can think of GBModerator, intoronto, dave199, apple, faster and myself, and I'm probably missing a few. Maybe London, NY or LA?

I had two chances to meet GB fellows.

First, I tried to meet Deawebo in Florida last may, but it failed due lack of communication between us.

Then, I had the chance to meet Bezzi during the Confederations Cup, but I read his message too late.

Still, I'm sure I'll meet some of you next year in the World Cup, or at least, in 2016 during the Olympic Games!

mr carta (leather and lube).

I'm sure that picture does not refers to the real poster...

I'm sure that picture does not refers to the real poster...

well, he can wear a mask. i just want him to slap me around a bit with a leather flail and tell me what i am and am not allowed to have opinions on.

muito quente.

I met JawnBC in BC no less. I fondled his torch lovingly... lol Lovely guy - I may have to drop him a line before I head over to NZ shortly. Oh and I also met one over gentleman from Montreal... I want to say it was Chateau Petrus but honestly cannot remember... Alain?

krow - I will meet you at a Fefe show (new single is out - 'Legacy') and we will not speak - just notice each other across a crowded room. We'll see each other out of the corner of our eyes and just nod. That will be all that is needed. Then I am pretty certain you will spontaneously combust because being in my and Fefes presence is as good as it will ever get and there is nothing to live for beyond that moment.

Won't be in Brazil next year, but in 2016

I hope we can make a small GB meeting in Rio in 2016, have a nice time with cold beer and sunshine over our heads :)

well, he can wear a mask. i just want him to slap me around a bit with a leather flail and tell me what i am and am not allowed to have opinions on.

muito quente.

Actually, it's not that hard to arrange all of this for you here. Ask Catra himself, he can be the one!

Yeah...although having been here for over a decade, I haven't met anyone. I guess I feel this is a bit of a 'nerdy' interest of mine and I'm kind of a private person. I don't come around here as much either. Certainly not as much as in the build up to the Vancouver games.

. I guess I feel this is a bit of a 'nerdy' interest of mine and I'm kind of a private person.

We're all in the same boat, aren't we. I would guess most of us have a bit of a reputation for our "nerdy" interest. Hence why so many of us find this place - great site to meet people with the same fascination for the games, without having to justify it and explain why the games mean so much to us.

Archived