All our cars we owned

Since the other thread about GPSs became a thread about cars, why not start a real thread about the cars we owned and/or own.

It'll be pretty funny to see cars around the globe and discuss about these machines we love!

Ok, I'll start!

In 2001, in my 18th birthday, my father gave me this one

Volkswagen Santana 1995/1996
nickname: Batmobile
With me: 2001-2004
santana-glsi-95-2.jpg
(the picture is not mine, at that time, I didn't have digital camera and took no picture of my car)

Volkswagen Gol 2000/2000

nickname: Silver Santos (a joke with the TV host Silvio Santos)
with me: 2005-2006

horsecd2091_zps8b6abefb.jpg
horsecd2180_zpsd5e9f1fa.jpg

Peugeot 206 2005-2006

nickname: The Candy Apple
with me: 2009-2010
macadoamor_zps3912f06e.jpg

Peugeot 207 2010-2011
(In Europe this car is called 206 plus)
nickname: Bafana Bafana - because I get the car during the World Cup
with me: 2010-2013
bafana2_zpsa2b8d6fa.jpg
150324_1611606141702_1983680_n_zpsa5d8b7

Me and the 207 in Argentina!!!!!

Peugeot 208 2013-2014

nickname: LeĆ£ozinho (small lion)
with me: now
208_zps56dd336c.jpg

1097152_10201262867325377_1120435141_o_z

i use taxi:)

never had a car or my family. its needless.... we have a yacht :)

So start a thread "the yatches we own" ;):P:D;)

Edited by DannyelBrazil

OMG, Danny, this got me thinking. Let's see...a Deusenberg, a Bugatti...oh wait...that's another family!! Just kidding.

When I was growing up, these are cars we've owned: a 1949 De Soto, a 1957 Chevy Bel-Air, a 1961 Vauxhall wagon, my first car was a 1965 Opel, then a 1968 Toyota Victoria; and then I went on my own already by 1972.

On my own, I had a 1984 Honda Civic; had a used 1987 Accord; had a 1992 Toyota Corolla; a 1995 Dodge Neon (my best car of all); and a 2009 Nissan- Versa now.

• Like 1

I liked the Dodge Neon, it was really fresh in design at the time it was released. I remember first time I saw it in Miami.

And wow, Baron, you really like Japanese cars

Well, everybody around me, my brother who's always had brand-new cars & the $$$ to buy them; my cousin who reads all these auto magazines, the mechanix I checked with,,,all said that you get the best bang for your buck w/ the Japanese models. They retain their values well and are great on gas mileage. I've always liked the styling of Renault (esp the last time they marketed under their own name in the US) and I liked the styling and all the extras of the new KIAs. But everybody might laugh at me if I got a KIA. Yeah, I'm chicken in that respect...and DON'T pretend to know otherwise.

• Like 1

On my own, I had a 1984 Honda Civic; had a used 1987 Accord; had a 1992 Toyota Corolla; a 1995 Dodge Neon (my best car of all); and a 2009 Nissan- Versa now.

I liked the Dodge Neon, it was really fresh in design at the time it was released. I remember first time I saw it in Miami.

And wow, Baron, you really like Japanese cars

Well, everybody around me, my brother who's always had brand-new cars & the $$$ to buy them; my cousin who reads all these auto magazines, the mechanix I checked with,,,all said that you get the best bang for your buck w/ the Japanese models. They retain their values well and are great on gas mileage.

Interesting then, that you owned the Neon longer than any of your Japanese cars, combined. I remember my BFF had a Neon. Gave her nothing but problems virtually from the day that she got it. Although, it probably didn't help any that she wrecked the radiator into a pole only a couple of months after she got it lol.

• Like 1

Well, everybody around me, my brother who's always had brand-new cars & the $$$ to buy them; my cousin who reads all these auto magazines, the mechanix I checked with,,,all said that you get the best bang for your buck w/ the Japanese models. They retain their values well and are great on gas mileage. I've always liked the styling of Renault (esp the last time they marketed under their own name in the US) and I liked the styling and all the extras of the new KIAs. But everybody might laugh at me if I got a KIA. Yeah, I'm chicken in that respect...and DON'T pretend to know otherwise.

Japanese have good fame in Brazil, but Volkswagen - among most Brazilians - is the name about quality and durability. An opinion I don't share. I'd rather Japanese too, the problem here is price. Japanese cars like Honda Fit or Toyota Corolla (both made in Brazil) are considered premium and are pricey. Only now Toyota made a car for the "regular middle class citizen", a South American exclusive and ugly as the devil itself called Toyota Etios:

0,,69615158,00.jpg

The sales were so weak that Toyota will release a "New Etios" totally remodeled, just 1 year after the first release!

About the way people see you in a car, here in Brazil things can be truly wild!

A "red Fiat Palio" is a car for woman only. Citroen C3 is still today considered a car for woman only.

Otherwise, a woman driving a VW Golf can be a sin. The car is considered made for "rich youngster boy who think they are F1 pilots".

Peugeots... Well, Peugeots are for young-and-single-playboys-but-not-rich. And I couldn't fit less the standard driver of Peugeot in Brazil. I'm totally middle class, a bit fat, gray hair, very conservative about clothing and married!

Indeed, when I was buying the 208, I needed to make a character, wear nice clothes to visit the Peugeot dealer in Santos. Last time I went there to get informations and prices, I was a bit beach-swimmer, a bit beardy and the seller didn't gave me any information and price, maybe thinking I didn't fit the "standard status of a Peugeot client". Can you believe on this???

PS: I don't care about what other people thinks about me. Peugeot is not the most popular car here. Everybody complains about expensive maintenance or bad post-sell services...

The day "others" pays my bills, I will accept criticisms about my life.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Japanese have good fame in Brazil, but Volkswagen - among most Brazilians - is the name about quality and durability. An opinion I don't share. I'd rather Japanese too, the problem here is price. Japanese cars like Honda Fit or Toyota Corolla (both made in Brazil) are considered premium and are pricey. Only now Toyota made a car for the "regular middle class citizen", a South American exclusive and ugly as the devil itself called Toyota Etios:

0,,69615158,00.jpg

The sales were so weak that Toyota will release a "New Etios" totally remodeled, just 1 year after the first release!

Yeah, I agree with you about VW. I don't think of them when it comes to "quality & durability". And neither does the majority of the American car market. It's always been the Japanese cars that Americans think of when it comes to those traits. And funny how the Corolla is considered 'premium' in Brazil. Here in the U.S. the Corolla is the 'regular middle class citizen' car. That Etios isn't sold here. But Toyota does have sub-compact car here in the U.S. that's a step below the Corolla, it's called the Yaris. And as of the 2012 redesign, it only comes in a hatchback.

Toyota-Yaris-Hibrido-2013-6.jpg

• Like 1

Extra: the ridiculous dashboard of Etios... Toyota didn't realized we want fair prices for the same cars Europeans and Americans drive, not these "things":

Toyota-Etios+-+Interior.jpg

When the Yaris first came out back in 2005, it's center console was very similar, right in the center like that. Most consumer report articles criticized the "ackward" layout.

2008-toyota-yaris-4-door-sedan-auto-s-na

The SCION is even UGLIER!!

Interesting then, that you owned the Neon longer than any of your Japanese cars, combined. I remember my BFF had a Neon. Gave her nothing but problems virtually from the day that she got it. Although, it probably didn't help any that she wrecked the radiator into a pole only a couple of months after she got it lol.

Indeed, the Neon survived 18 years until a malfunctioning thermostat caused it to overheat and give out on me -- but not before I was able to take Sir Rols, hubby Gerry and their friend Giovanna, down to Monterey/Carmel one last time in February. I took care of that Neon thru thick and thin!!

• Like 1

The Toyota Echo console.

2002-Toyota-Echo-i02.jpg

Which one? You mean you don't like the new little IQ! :lol:

lead2-2012-scion-iq-fd.jpg

All it looks like is just a mini XD

Indeed, the Neon survived 18 years until a malfunctioning thermostat caused it to overheat and give out on me -- but not before I was able to take Sir Rols, hubby Gerry and their friend Giovanna, down to Monterey/Carmel one last time in February. I took care of that Neon thru thick and thin!!

How many miles did it have on it before it finally quit on ya. And man, 18 years for a Dodge is pretty darn good.

And funny how the Corolla is considered 'premium' in Brazil. Here in the U.S. the Corolla is the 'regular middle class citizen' car. That Etios isn't sold here. But Toyota does have sub-compact car here in the U.S. that's a step below the Corolla, it's called the Yaris. And as of the 2012 redesign, it only comes in a hatchback.

We have high taxes over the production of cars. In USA taxes are about 5-6% of the car price, here it's about 27-30%. Plus, there is some agreement between the international brands to keep the price high and earn more profit. Even the Brazilian Govt. tried to "open the profits pandora box of car producers in Brazil", but the power of this companies in the country is so big that govt. gave up on it.

A Toyota Corolla here costs, at least, 25,000 US dollars (add to this the currency and power or purchase of Brazilian population and Corolla becomes a medium-price car).

That's why we have the "South-American-exclusive" models like VW Gol, Chevy Celta... Ok, some Tata Nano would never be sold here... We are not India.

To make my point clear. VW Kombi (a.k.a. VW Bus or VW Transporter) is still SOLD HERE AS BRAND NEW!

Actually, 2013/2014 will be the last model, since Brazilian law will now require air bags, ABS breaks and other technological stuff from 2014 on...

This is the Last Edition of VW Kombi 2013/2014.

VW-Kombi-Last-Edition-2.jpg

Yeah, 2013/2014 model of a vehicle created 60 years ago.

Only now, in the 2010s decade, automatic shift are becaming something more common to our cars. In the late 1990s, even the right mirror was OPTIONAL!!!

Thankfully Brazil advanced A LOT in the last 20 years... That's what I say all the time... You guys can not imagine how Brazil advanced in the last two decades and what is happening here.

In 1998, first time I was in the US, it was impossible to find a single model sold both in the US and Brazilian market. (We had only the South American exclusives and European cheapers at that time). Now, we have a lot of models you guys have in the US, still they are expensive.. But this will change.

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

When the Yaris first came out back in 2005, it's center console was very similar, right in the center like that. Most consumer report articles criticized the "ackward" layout.

2008-toyota-yaris-4-door-sedan-auto-s-na

Never got the "center instruments panel" thing...

It's to show the passengers how fast (or slow) the car is moving???

The Toyota Echo console.

2002-Toyota-Echo-i02.jpg

Japaneses are weird sometimes... This white steering wheel is almost looking like ceramics! haha

Edited by DannyelBrazil

To make my point clear. VW Kombi (a.k.a. VW Bus or VW Transporter) is still SOLD HERE AS BRAND NEW!

Actually, 2013/2014 will be the last model, since Brazilian law will now require air bags, ABS breaks and other technological stuff from 2014 on...

This is the Last Edition of VW Kombi 2013/2014.VW-Kombi-Last-Edition-2.jpg

Yeah, 2013/2014 model of a vehicle created 60 years ago.

Too funny! :-D can't believe that van is still sold lol! and that's insane about your car taxes over there.

• Like 1

Yeah, Kombi is still very popular among...

Companies (This is a Supermarket delivery van)...
Supermercado-sao-manoel-Kombi.jpg

Public Services from City Hall (Santos City Hall - where I live)
Santos-PMS-011-FIC-3398-Kombi2013-.jpg

School Bus...
volkswagen-kombi-escolar-15-lugares-2011

and finally the traditional yellow Kombi from Brazilian Postal Service...
1298073043_168211696_2-Vendo-Kombi-com-l

And thanks for such a lovely day, mate! Just looked, but I didn't get any pics of the Neon itself to post!

I was actually a latecomer when it came to getting my license (I must have been in my 30s) so don't have that big a collection to show off.

When I ws growing up, the family had a Holden Monaro GTS (Holden is an Aussie car maker that became part of General Motors). The pic below is the same colour as ours (without the stripe).

hgmonaro1.jpg

First car I ever owned myself was a Nissan Pulsar

81944f39-d0f5-49ee-b9d4-7bb6c57653ae-atm

Followed by a Subaru Imprezza

subaru_impreza_road_test_2007.jpg

And now, a VW Golf (orginally grey, but lost that as a write-off in a crash. Now the replacement is white).

2010_volkswagen_golf_gti_adidas_01a-4ca0

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

What year was your Imprezza? Was is that same style like in the pic? Why the switch from that to the Golf so quickly, if so?

Mine was about 2006-2007. No, not the same exactly as the pic. Couldn't find the right type. And ours was blue. I might have a pic at home with CAF in front of the car during his trip to Oz.

In Oz, you pay less rego, and don't need a yearly vehicle inspection, for new cars up to four years old. Ours was getting to that point, and it coincided with a time my partner's family were after a car. We sold them our Imprezza to them and upgraded fromJjapanese to German auto tech.

• Like 1

Mine was about 2006-2007. No, not the same exactly as the pic. Couldn't find the right type. And ours was blue. I might have a pic at home with CAF in front of the car during his trip to Oz.

Was it more like this?! :lol:

d489f291c2c44f1a9900927d472ad227.jpg

I like the new Imprezza sedan. But I'm torn whether my next one should be a sedan or an SUV. I've always wanted an SUV, but I don't really want a big & clunky one. Something compact but very versatile.

In Oz, you pay less rego, and don't need a yearly vehicle inspection, for new cars up to four years old. Ours was getting to that point, and it coincided with a time my partner's family were after a car. We sold them our Imprezza to them and upgraded fromJjapanese to German auto tech.

2012-Subaru-Impreza-6.jpg

Ahh, okay.