Sign in to follow this  
Citius Altius Fortius

Participation of India?

The NOC of India is suspended by the IOC since December 2012 - does somebody know if there are talks resp. actions by the NOC of India/IOC to lift the suspension?

What is when this suspension isn't lifted until Sochi 2014? Will India be able to participate altough the Indian NOC is suspended?

Is that still not resolved? :o

Hate to be cruel, but would anyone notice if they weren't in Sochi?

I was just reading this:

IOC drafts new rules for India's return

NEW DELHI (AFP) – The International Olympic Committee has told India it must bar all corruption-tainted officials from its local Olympics body if it wants to return to the Games after being banned last year, an official and reports said Friday.

The IOC has sent a 43-page draft constitution that needs to be adopted by the suspended Indian Olympic Association (IOA) before its next elections in September, an Indian Olympics official said.

"We have received the IOC draft and we will look into it," the official, who did not want to be named, told AFP.

Local media reported that the draft, accompanied by a letter from IOC's head of institutional relations Jerome Poivey, stressed the need to keep corrupt officials out of sports administration.

"To be eligible as an office-bearer or member of the IOA's executive council, a member must... not face charges framed against him/her by any court in India, in respect of a criminal or corruption offence," the Press Trust of India said, quoting from the draft.

India's IOC membership was suspended in December after Lalit Bhanot, who is facing corruption charges linked to the scandal-hit New Delhi Commonwealth Games in 2010, was elected IOA secretary-general.

Former IOA boss Suresh Kalmadi, who has also been charged in the Commonwealth Games scandal, did not contest the elections in December where his protege, Abhay Chautala, was elected president.

Both Kalmadi, a lawmaker of the ruling Congress party, and Bhanot, have denied any wrongdoing.

Suspension from the IOC means India does not receive funding from the world body and its officials cannot attend Olympic events, while athletes are barred from competing in the Olympics under the national flag.

The Delhi Commonwealth Games were intended to showcase India on the global stage, but were marred by infrastructure problems, delays and widespread corruption allegations.

They also led to criticism of the stranglehold of politicians over Indian sports associations.

Indian sports minister Jitendra Singh had met IOC officials at its Swiss headquarters in Lausanne to discuss the country's eventual return to the Olympic fold.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/08/16/ioc-drafts-new-rules-for-india-return/

Wouldn't the athletes in Sochi (albeit maybe at most 3-4) compete under the IOC Flag, like they did at the Asian Indoor and Youth Games.

The NOC of India is suspended by the IOC since December 2012 - does somebody know if there are talks resp. actions by the NOC of India/IOC to lift the suspension?

What is when this suspension isn't lifted until Sochi 2014? Will India be able to participate altough the Indian NOC is suspended?

I'd say Intoronto has the right of it- they just won't be able to compete as a national team.

Incidentally, the latest development is that the Indian Olympic Association have responded to the IOC by pointing out that Indian law works on an "innocent until proven guilty" basis, so they would be open to legal action if they banned anybody who has been accused but not yet tried in court. Which is perfectly true, but it doesn't stop them from asking people to step aside voluntarily until the matters are resolved, for the good of Indian sport.

Is that still not resolved? :o

Hate to be cruel, but would anyone notice if they weren't in Sochi?

Depends- they're not short of snowy mountains to train on.

They wouldn't be missed. I don't mean that to be cruel. They just aren't a winter games power. They're not even much of a summer games power. Only sent 3 athletes to Vancouver. And their 6 medals in London matched their combined effort for all the Olympics of the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. Still, for the athletes that do qualify, would be good for them to go.

Although India's presence at the winter games is more of a novelty than a contender.

I totally agree that India isn't a winter sport nation, but I think it is good when as much NOC participate at Olympic Games as possible (and India participated since Nagano at every Winter Olympics)

I can imagine, too, that the athletes from India can participates under the IOC flag, but I think it isn't really the same...

I totally agree that India isn't a winter sport nation, but I think it is good when as much NOC participate at Olympic Games as possible (and India participated since Nagano at every Winter Olympics)

I can imagine, too, that the athletes from India can participates under the IOC flag, but I think it isn't really the same...

Sochi is on track to have about 91 nations competing, 9 more then in Vancouver.

interesting - where did you find that number of participating countries, intoronto?

My personal tracking on another forum. The number can go down though as we approach the deadline for qualification.

Here

Dominica, Eritrea, Malta, Timor Leste, Tonga and Zimbabwe are on track for the WOG debuts.

they can always save face by claiming it's a gay rights-inspired boycott, like i did to my EX coworker's wedding.

i don't care that i wasn't INVITED, ceclia. i wasn't COMING anyway and no one is buying you that topshelf waffle iron on your registry anyway and your fiance is boring and i hope it RAINS.

• Like 1

IOC rejects IOA's clause, India's Olympic ban to continue

BUENOS AIRES: India's wait to get back toOlympic fold will be delayed further after theInternational Olympic Committee stuck to its stand on the chargesheet clause, clearly stating that theIOA has to adopt the above mentioned clause in order to ensure good governance.

In its Special General Body Meeting last month, the IOA had proposed a compromise formula to IOC's directive asking it to bar chargesheeted persons from contesting elections.

According to the IOA proposal, the sanction will apply only to those officials who are convicted and sentenced to a jail term of more than two years.

But the IOC stood firm on its stand during its Executive Board (EB) meeting on Wednesday ahead of the 125th IOC Session here and asked IOA to accept all demands in full before conducting elections.

"Since the suspension of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) in December 2012, the IOC has been working towards finding a solution to improve good governance within the National Olympic Committee(NOC)," the IOC said in a statement on its website.

"The IOC provided the IOA with a roadmap and sent observers to the IOA's General Assembly (GA) that took place on 25 August. The EB heard a report that the GA had approved most of the amendments to the IOA's constitution requested by the IOC, but one specific clause had not been adopted.

"This clause, which deals specifically with the eligibility of members, is key to the good governance of the NOC and needs to be fully accepted before the suspended IOA can proceed with the elections. An official notification of the IOC's position will be sent to the IOA," the statement read.

India was suspended from the Olympic movement in December last year after tainted Lalit Bhanot, who is facing corruption charges linked to the scandal-hit 2010 Commonwealth Games, was elected secretary-general of the IOA.

The IOC asked the IOA to amend its constitution to keep officials facing criminal or corruption charges out of the election process.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/more-sports/others/IOC-rejects-IOAs-clause-Indias-Olympic-ban-to-continue/articleshow/22317520.cms

IOC clears Indian athletes to compete in Sochi

LAUSANNE: Indian athletes have been cleared to compete in the Winter Games in Sochi after the country complied with the IOC's ethics rules and avoided becoming the first country expelled from the Olympics in more than 40 years.

Still to be determined is whether the few Indian athletes who have qualified for Sochi compete for their country or under the Olympic flag.

The International Olympic Committee gave a reprieve to India's suspended national Olympic body on Tuesday after a long impasse that had threatened to lead to the expulsion of the world's second most populous nation.

The move came two days after the Indian Olympic Association amended its constitution to bar any officials charged with a crime from running for election, as demanded by the IOC.

"We think that is a major step in the right direction," IOC President Thomas Bach said. "We are now looking forward to the implementation of the new rules by transparent and open and democratic elections in the Indian Olympic Association."'

Had India not fallen into line by Tuesday, it risked becoming the first country kicked out of the Olympic movement since South Africa was expelled in 1970 for its apartheid policies.

The Indian body was suspended by the IOC last December after electing secretary-general Lalit Bhanot, who spent 10 months in jail on corruption charges related to the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.

Bach said the IOA remains suspended pending the holding of elections under the new constitution.

Although the new elections will not take place until Feb. 9, two days after the start of the Sochi Olympics, Bach said the IOC has "taken precautions for the athletes and made sure the athletes will not suffer from this procedure."

In that case, Bach said, Indians would compete as "independent athletes" under the Olympic flag, with no Indian flag or symbols allowed at the venues or opening ceremony.

If the elections can take place before the Sochi Olympics and satisfy the IOC demands, the suspension would be lifted and the athletes could compete with their national flag and anthem.

India is likely to send a three-member team to Sochi, led by luger Shiva Keshavan, who will be participating in his fifth Winter Olympics. Keshavan, who set a continental record at the Asia Cup in Nagano, Japan, last December, is hoping to become the first Indian to win a medal at a Winter Games.

India can also send one male and one female Alpine skier to the games.

AP

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/more-sports/others/IOC-clears-Indian-athletes-to-compete-in-Sochi/articleshow/27206019.cms

India atm has no qualified athletes. It doesn't look good in luge either. Likely will change in the weeks to come.

Bet they could always launch into this at one of the venues...

(I so want to be part of a flash mob sequence...)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Sochi Games: Four Indian skiers to go as independent athletes

Manali: Four Indian skiers, who have qualified for the Winter Games, will represent the country as independent athletes at the Black Sea resort of Sochi in Russia, Feb 7-23.

Winter Games Federation of India (WGFI) secretary general Roshan Thakur Tuesday said the skiers -- Himanshu Thakur, Hira Lal and Shiva Keshavan, all from this Himachal Pradesh town, and Nadeem Iqbal from Gulmarg in Jammu and Kashmir -- have qualified for the Olympics.

"They will not represent the country under the Indian flag, but they are participating as independent athletes under the Olympic flag," Thakur told a leading agency.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) suspended India in December 2012 over the election process of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA).

"They all have qualified for the Olympics by scoring the required Federation de International of Skiing (FIS) points in international races in the past three-four years. Now when they are heading to participate, they can`t represent the country. It`s sad," said Thakur.

The IOC has asked the IOA to conduct fresh elections at the earliest so that the athletes could take part in the Winter Games under the tri-colour. But the IOA elections will be held Feb 9, two days after the Sochi Games begin.

"Why can`t the IOA elections be conducted before the commencement of Winter Olympics," Thakur asked.

Sports Minister Jitendra Singh had also asked IOA to host the elections by the last week of January or first week of February so that Indian athletes can compete under the national flag in the Winter Games.

Luger Keshavan, who is participating in his fifth Winter Olympics, is a strong medal hope. He had a continental record at the Asia Cup in Nagano in Japan in December 2012.

While Himanshu and Hira Lal are participating in the alpine skiing category, Iqbal is in cross-country competition.

----

Its actually going to be 3 not 4

Source:

As cued on the last post, India will send its Winter Olympians to Sochi...but as it presently stands, in an act to "embarass and outrage" its Indian athletes, they won't get to compete under the Indian flag. Time to call an emergency general meeting before February 7, IOA! How's STAR India going to react about this when the now hold the rights to Sochi? Not well. Not a good look.

http://poststar.com/sports/olympics/blogs/athletes-from-india-will-not-carry-their-nation-s-flag/article_353b8418-a734-5244-b155-aa2ceed7fe6c.html