Russia Must Explain Anti-Gay Law - IOC President

GBModerator

t, you are the most flaming heterosexual this side of andre leon talley.

I'm totally gay as long as other peoples penises (penii?) are not involved. I too have mocked the new GaGa single AND saw a Madonna show live (in 1993). However I have a real stubborn love of the vag that will obviously make me quite popular in Russki-land if I do in fact go.

^^^^

I really doubt western public opinion would allow them to enforce that in this case.

Actually I expect any rainbow flag/garb to be confiscated at the Olympic Park 'Passport' check points. The Russians won't let anyone rain on their parade.

Actually I expect any rainbow flag/garb to be confiscated at the Olympic Park 'Passport' check points. The Russians won't let anyone rain on their parade.

Agreed. As I stated previously, #1 - they will BLATANTLY warn the athletes as they sit in their holding tank before being allowed to march into the arena; #2 - they will have monitors ready at the entrance ready to snatch any such items from their hands; and #3 - the cameras will be directed to cut away from any overt drama. And if some commentators will obviously comment on any drama, then so be it. I don't think it will get a worldwide condemnation that the liberal western democracies are hoping for. It's only the Winter Games (so only about 75 nations may come; Rwanda, Haiti, etc. and some 130 other countries', mostly the poor Afro-Asian, press really won't be there) and such overt LGBT issues are still frowned upon in many parts of the globe. Just saying...

Agreed. As I stated previously, #1 - they will BLATANTLY warn the athletes as they sit in their holding tank before being allowed to march into the arena; #2 - they will have monitors ready at the entrance ready to snatch any such items from their hands; and #3 - the cameras will be directed to cut away from any overt drama. And if some commentators will obviously comment on any drama, then so be it. I don't think it will get a worldwide condemnation that the liberal western democracies are hoping for. It's only the Winter Games (so only about 75 nations may come; Rwanda, Haiti, etc. and some 130 other countries', mostly the poor Afro-Asian, press really won't be there) and such overt LGBT issues are still frowned upon in many parts of the globe. Just saying...

I wouldn't be so sure about that. As much as the world feed cameras are required to provide an unbiased account of the events, I don't know that they're going to ignore these things entirely, that is assuming they happen in the first place. I don't know if there are orders from the Russians about how to handle these things, but it's not like the countries that have been the most vocal about these issues are going to ignore "overt drama." That's particularly true of NBC (who, as we know, has a lot of their own cameras) and has pretty much stated that if there are any incidents, they'll cover it.

That all said, I don't expect anything to happen during the Opening Ceremonies. I can't see any athletes or officials making a scene, especially knowing security will be so tight and everyone is watching. I don't think it goes so far as to say there are monitors on the ready to snatch items from their hands (that sounds like the beginnings of an incident right there), but again, the world's media isn't about to ignore this story, especially if it becomes an even bigger story during the Olympics.

Actually, one or 2 little incidents during OC would make for more exciting drama. But it would only force the IOC and the Russkies to clamp down even more for the rest of the Games.

I don't know that I'd call it drama. It would just distract from everything else (not that we care about the Russians' feelings in that regard.. I know I sure don't). As much as a lot of people would like to take a stand while they're in Russia, I'm not sure if anyone will actually go that far. I just hope no one (be in at athlete or a spectator or whoemever else) gets into an incident unprovoked. Clearly the Russians won't want that, but who knows if they can stop themselves from taking it that far in accordance with a law they've been told is to be enforced at the Olympics.

The more they tighten their grip, the more that will slip through their fingers.

If any competitors want to make a statement, there is little anyone can do to stop the ultimate statement... PDA on the infield.

They can strip you of the medals...as they have done so in the past. Maybe a sudden power failure at the venue??

this is becoming quite the pre-games scandal in the west—which is basically the only place anyone cares about the winter olympics—but we're still 6 months out. it remains to be seen how motivated people will be to make a statement come games time. six months ago this wasn't really on our radar. who knows how long the media and russia can keep things interesting.

baron seems convinced that the IOC will stop at nothing to become the enforcer wing of putin's private gestapo, banishing teenage athletes for life and harrying scandavian women with rainbow ribbons tied to their cowbells, but i think every sane poster on here, who isn't getting off on playing devil's advocate, can agree that the IOC will be looking to distance themselves as much as possible from this scandal, which catches them in the most delicious catch-22 of whether to prioritize their charter or their desire to keep on everyone's good side by remaining non-political and unprovocative.

It's interesting to think about what the response would be to Russia's new laws if there wasn't an Olympics in the immediate future for them. Without Sochi, this would be a story that may or may not get much attention because there wouldn't be a deadline for it and we'd just have to wait to see how it plays out. But because of the Olympics, it's a question that not only demands a response, but by a certain point in time. And the only thing I'm certain of at this point is that I don't trust almost anything the Russians are saying or doing at this point.

I think both sides are caught in a conundrum on this one. There's definitely a catch-22 with the IOC over whether to be political or not be political, because they can't really have it both ways. From their perspective, the best they can do is pressure the Russians and hope they cave in and then, like you said, try and stay as far away from it at possible. Besides, once the Games themselves start, they'll have different priorities. On the flip side, the Russians have to known and understand the world is watching. They certainly don't want any sort of international incident, so the question is do they stand tough on their laws and enforce them or allow athletes the freedoms they're afforded in the rest of the world and that the IOC is supposed to be protecting for them.

In the end, neither side wants this to be a problem come February. And I don't think individuals will be brave enough to put themselves in the spotlight. A group, perhaps. But for all the media is saying about this, I think (or at least I hope, for the sake of everyone involved) that once the Olympics start, we won't be thinking/talking about this.

It's interesting to think about what the response would be to Russia's new laws if there wasn't an Olympics in the immediate future for them. Without Sochi, this would be a story that may or may not get much attention because there wouldn't be a deadline for it and we'd just have to wait to see how it plays out. But because of the Olympics, it's a question that not only demands a response, but by a certain point in time. And the only thing I'm certain of at this point is that I don't trust almost anything the Russians are saying or doing at this point.

In the end, neither side wants this to be a problem come February. And I don't think individuals will be brave enough to put themselves in the spotlight. A group, perhaps. But for all the media is saying about this, I think (or at least I hope, for the sake of everyone involved) that once the Olympics start, we won't be thinking/talking about this.

Thank goodness the Olympics are in 6 months, otherwise I agree that there would not be much coverage in the Western media about the new laws. For the sake of gay people in Russia, I hope we are still talking about this during the Games. The Olympics present the best possible opportunity to affect change in Russia--it will be another 4 years before the international media is really focused on the country again for the World Cup. I'm very fearful for what is going to happen in Russia after the Olympics are over and the international media heads home--that's when the real atrocities could begin.

• 6 months later...

Archived