I

Is there a 70th jubilee? I guess we'll have to create one. :P

They are Platinum for a 70th (she would be 95!).

And as I saif 2002, Golden Jubilee and 2012 Diamond having two of the best multi sports evebst was great.

But even if we did not get a Event like the Commonwealths in 2022, maybe we should bid for a portolio as I suggested with European Championship Athletics, (never held in UK)

World Cup Hockey

World Eventing,

Basketball World Cup

Volleyball World Cup

or

The 4th Youth Summer Olymoics are due, after Singapore (2010), Nanjing (2014) and Buenos Aries (2018) would London be great place for the World's Youth? If HM Queen is around I bet even at 95 (if her Mum who went on to 101 is anythimg to go buy) she would want to speak to the Youth of thh World.

And for some of the youmger Royals like Harry, Beatrice and Eugeinie might give them something to do as we ship the around the world for Youth Charities. The Wessex Children would be 14 and 18.

or when Qatar World Cup goes belly up we offer FIFA our stadium :rolleyes:

London shouldn't go for them. The YOGs are really intended for places which couldn't pull off the main Olympics. Hence why they went to Argentina :ph34r:

Maggie would be proud!

I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about a YOG in London. I'd LOVE to see a London Commonwealth Games sometime between 2022 (10th Anniversary of 2012) or 2030 (Centennial Commonwealth Games).

It would be fantastic to see QE2 Olympic Park engaged in a large (but smaller) multisport event in its new configuration. I can't think of a better way to build on the legacy of London 2012 than the Commonwealth Games.

• Like 1

I gotta feeling that if London didn't get 2022 then 2030 is the logical choice with a new monarch and all.

If Glasgow pulls off this new era CWGs well, we could see a surge in candidate cities from some unlikely places, could even see New Zealand throwing in a city, even just to test the water.

Still recon England should give the second tier cities (which are still huge) a chance.

Birmingham, Sheffield, Derby, Bristol, Southampton come to mind.

Edited by Alexjc
  • Like 1

I agree. Ideally with NZ, I'd still like to see the next Games there not be in Auckland. I think if any multisport event, Auckland should aim for a YOG. A just think a third AKL CWG is a little "been there, done that" even though Auckland has changed tremendously since 1990.

Christchurch would be fantastic from a rebirth perspective - especially given that its 1974 Games is widely regarded as watershed moment for the event.

And then Wellington could be amazing too, given that it is the only one out of the Big 3 Kiwi cities not to have hosted. I could see Wellington offering something very compact - similar to Glasgow 2014.

With Australia knocked out of hosting until the 2030's (at the very least) - NZ should have a pretty strong case for 2026.

For NZ it will be that England city of the south...Christchurch in 26.

We are looking at a sports facilities building boom beginning next year. The stadium is scheduled to be started in 2016.

• Like 1

Alex, I agree with you entirely, but Derby?? There's small & too small. If they got together with Nottingham, maybe. Southampton is slightly better, they could do it with Pompey. Birmingham, Sheffield & Bristol could do the games, & should be looking at them.

I gotta feeling that if London didn't get 2022 then 2030 is the logical choice with a new monarch and all.

If Glasgow pulls off this new era CWGs well, we could see a surge in candidate cities from some unlikely places, could even see New Zealand throwing in a city, even just to test the water.

Still recon England should give the second tier cities (which are still huge) a chance.

Birmingham, Sheffield, Derby, Bristol, Southampton come to mind.

Interesting thought there.

2030 Centennary of the 1st Empire Games ( Canada Hamilton), or 2034 Centennary of first London Games?

As for Second tier, not sure if we can use it as a guide but I think Manchester and Biormingham are the only two 'Beta' Cities on a Global list of Cites, taking into account thiongs like Communiaction., Tramsport etc.

Tier Three has Bristol, Leeds and Southampton.

Alex, I agree with you entirely, but Derby?? There's small & too small. If they got together with Nottingham, maybe. Southampton is slightly better, they could do it with Pompey. Birmingham, Sheffield & Bristol could do the games, & should be looking at them.

Sheffield that has just closed Don Valley Stadium due to lack of patronage :(.

Small cities have hosted before. Kingston, Christchurch and Victoria spring to mind. England third tier cities have the benefit of surrounding populations, and the transport links that go with them. We need to start looking beyond London, discounting Manchester, and open up the parts of England that you only ever read about.

• Like 1

Small cities have hosted before. Kingston, Christchurch and Victoria spring to mind. England third tier cities have the benefit of surrounding populations, and the transport links that go with them. We need to start looking beyond London, discounting Manchester, and open up the parts of England that you only ever read about.

Trouble is those cities were hosting a games with 9 or 10 sports. Whilst those editions did not have Netball. Rugby Sevens, Hockey, Squash or options for Paralygic Sports. Sure we could lose Rugby and Hockey (both Olympic Sports) but Netball? It would in effect be the only 'team' sport.

Although these sports have World Cups (but Athletics has World Championships), it would have to be very carefully done to cut back the recognised sports, or should the Commonwealths go back to being a smaller event based on the original six sports? Athletiocs, Aquatics, Boxing. Bowls, Rowing, Wrestling? Or if we lose the latter two, but add in Cycling?

Sadly to survive, and attract sponsors etc, it maybe it needs the bigger programme and the bigger cities.

But, could a combined Yorkshire bid work? Leeds and Sheffileld?

Cardiff Swansea?

Glasgow is using Edinburgh for diving next year.

Bristol would work well with Cardiff but for being two differnt Commonwealth Countries :(

Alex, I agree with you entirely, but Derby?? There's small & too small. If they got together with Nottingham, maybe..

If they had a chance of completely rewriting the sports roster they could stage an interesting multi-sport event.

Canoeing at the Nottingham white water centre, tennis at the Nottingham Tennis Centre, Ice Hockey at the Nottingham Ice Centre, cycling in the new Derby velodrome, bit of cricket at Trent Bridge, and then a football tournament between Pride Park and the City Ground. And maybe some climbing at Go Ape in Sherwood Forest. Not forgetting beach volleyball at the "beach" in Nottingham's Market Sq....how's that sound duck?

Edited by RobH

Also remember with the so called Team Sports, venues already exist. Surrounding cities have no shame in propping up the Olympic host cities with overflow venues. The CWGs don't need the super mega investment of the OSGs. The team sports are actually the cheapest to run. Remember apart from the compulsary events, the CWGs can be custom fitted to suit...Love to see Darts in there, classic England sport...and whats to stop non professional Football attending...Lets break out of the mould here.

If the World Cup is moved I doubt the football season would run too far into the summer. Likely they'd start in 2021 a couple of weeks early (late July rather than mid August) and then finish the season around early June rather than early May. It would certainly be over by late July, when you'd expect the game to take place.

I'd rather London waited for 2030 - I know they didn't host the first one but I think they need to make a big deal out of the 100th Anniversary and London is the best place to do that IMO. Would rather see South Africa or somewhere like Singapore get it in 2022.

UK Athletics have signed a deal that gives them exclusive rights to the Olympic Stadium for 50 years from the last weekend in June to the end of July each year (in addition to the IAAF World Championships in August 2017). So West Ham won't be playing football in the stadium in July 2022, regardless of when the World Cup in that year is being played,

An understandable decision in these financial times but, in my opinion, a shortsighted one that, sadly from my point of view as an ex-resident of Sheffield, has probably ended their chances of bidding for a long time to come.

I think it's pretty obvious that England's next Commonwealth Games will be in London. After that, I'd be looking towards either Liverpool or Birmingham as the most likely candidates.

Agree, but not until 2030. I know everyone would like to see London rightfully host the centenary, wouldnt it be cool if another city gave it ago.

IMO, it's almost certain 2030 will be in London. There could be Hamilton trying with or as part of Toronto, but the whole area could well be either recovering from or preparing for an Olympics, so surely London or England at the very least is a shoo in.

IMO, it's almost certain 2030 will be in London. There could be Hamilton trying with or as part of Toronto, but the whole area could well be either recovering from or preparing for an Olympics, so surely London or England at the very least is a shoo in.

From that can I read/suggest

2015 Canada Toronton Pan Americans (2028 Olympics?)

2018 Australia Gold Coast Commonwealth

2022 South Africa Commonwealth (2032 Olympics?)

2026 Singapore

2030 London

That sounds perfect, but it doesn't have to be London. It could be a great chance for Birmingham to complete its regeneration.

Add in Paris Olympics 2024 (depending on 2020) & that's a very good line of cities.

So if your happy with the CWG how does this list for Olympics agree with you?

2016 Brazil

2020 Tokyo

2024 Paris

2028 Toronto

2032 South Africa

2036 Europe?

That sounds perfect, but it doesn't have to be London. It could be a great chance for Birmingham to complete its regeneration.

Add in Paris Olympics 2024 (depending on 2020) & that's a very good line of cities.

Yet if 2030 was a Centennary event, London offers the State stuff that people like.

Has to be some spread.

See FIFA have said that esentially the closest gap for a World Cup in a continent should be 12 years. So England cannot think of a World Cup until 2030. European Championships look good things to host.

Olympic Summer Games might benefit with a similar policy, we know that Europe, North and South America. Aisa and Ocenia (Australia are capable of hosting .

Of course if Tokyo wins tomrrow, then Asia will get three of the big four World events in a row.

South Korea 2018 Winter Games

Japan 2019 Rugby World Cup

Japan 2020 Olympics.

UK Athletics have signed a deal that gives them exclusive rights to the Olympic Stadium for 50 years from the last weekend in June to the end of July each year (in addition to the IAAF World Championships in August 2017). So West Ham won't be playing football in the stadium in July 2022, regardless of when the World Cup in that year is being played,

Seems a very brief period. West Ham should be out of their by mid-May most seasons, while they need to be able to go into early August for any future World, European, Commonwealth or Olympic bids - though there seems to have been no thought about possible future Olympic bids in the Olympic Legacy .

A real shame - IMO before the Olympic stadium came along that was one of the best athletics venues we had, although it hasn't really hosted any major domestic or international meeting for quite some time. The same with Gateshead - think they had the European Cup this year but it certainly doesn't get an annual televised event anymore like it used too.

Agree, London should hold out till 30. I'd like to see Singapore host, South Africa seems to have Olympic ambitions that we would all support instead. They really haven't been interested in CWGs hosting since reintergration.

I do think though South Africa probably need the CWGs as a step towards the Olympics. It's not that they couldn't win a bid without them, but it would be a hell of a lot easier for them if they had something to back it up. I'm sure in many ways Manchester 2002 helped London 2012.