Which English cities (other than London) do you think could host the CWGs? I'll go with my home city, Bristol, it's a largish city, in a largely unknown area (SW England), & if they did it properly, they could have most if not all venues on one large derelict plot behind Temple Meads station. Bristol desperately needs sport facilities, it lacks a major stadium & doesn't have any indoor arena despite being England's 6th largest city. It could bring huge publicity for Bristol, & be very good for the city. Where do you think?

Other tfan London? Well, let me think now. How about my home city of Manchester?

Oops, I forgot. We already hosted in 2002 and a damned fine hosting it was too! After all, how do you think London won its bid for the 2012 Olympics?

:)

Yeap, so did Sheffield. I'm still amazed England has only hosted twice with a huge gap in between.

It makes sense if you acknowledge that no cities in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would be capable of hosting an Olympic Games; therefore those countries should have preferential treatment for hosting the much-less-extravagant Commonwealth Games (though Northern Ireland may still have a while to wait).

But the Olympics are only open to London. The Commies should be the province's event, for cities like Bristol, Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield, Liverpool, Brum etc.

You can't reasonably enforce a rule like that, I'm doubtful that the CGF is going to turn down bids from cities like Cape Town, Sydney or London just because there are smaller, provincial non Olympic capable cities that could host the CWG.

All power to London, if they want the event, let them have it. They have the facilities.

Also the CWGs have grown quite large over the last 20 years since Victoria. I'm hoping Glasgow and Gold Coast interpretations more the games to a more 'relaxed' and cost saving event. I never thought that a simple event would grow into a $/£ billion extraviganza. This is what locks out many mid sized cities in England and around the commonwealth.

But the Olympics are only open to London. The Commies should be the province's event, for cities like Bristol, Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield, Liverpool, Brum etc.

Given that London only hosted the CWG once, and that Manchester was the last British host city, that may actually be part of the overall gameplan. But the bias towards Scotland, in particular (Wales' population is somewhat smaller), has been very clear.

I don't think there has been a bias towards Scotland. They have hosted 3 times, with Englands 2, Wales 1.

New Zealand has a smaller population that Scotland and has also hosted 3 times - population has nothing to do with it.

I don't think there has been a bias towards Scotland. They have hosted 3 times, with Englands 2, Wales 1.

New Zealand has a smaller population that Scotland and has also hosted 3 times - population has nothing to do with it.

I was only mentioning population in reference to Scotland vs Wales. New Zealand's population would have to be considered in comparison to Australia. You can actually see the same sort of process at work in Australia as in the UK- trying to give each state a turn at hosting.

Would be very surprised if we don't see a London 2022 bid.

That said, I've just thought of something (I know, don't fall off your chair)....

If FIFA changes the dates of the 2022 World Cup, and Premier League football ends up having to be played during the Summer in 2022, the Olympic Stadium will be needed for West Ham matches instead.

So, it's in our national interest that West Ham get relegated or that Qatar gets the world cup taken away from them before 2022. Just to be on the safe side, and because I'm patriotic, let's hope for both. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Would be very surprised if we don't see a London 2022 bid.

That said, I've just thought of something (I know, don't fall off your chair)....

If FIFA changes the dates of the 2022 World Cup, and Premier League football ends up having to be played during the Summer in 2022, the Olympic Stadium will be needed for West Ham matches instead.

So, it's in our national interest that West Ham get relegated or that Qatar gets the world cup taken away from them before 2022. Just to be on the safe side, and because I'm patriotic, let's hope for both. :lol:

If the World Cup is moved I doubt the football season would run too far into the summer. Likely they'd start in 2021 a couple of weeks early (late July rather than mid August) and then finish the season around early June rather than early May. It would certainly be over by late July, when you'd expect the game to take place.

I'd rather London waited for 2030 - I know they didn't host the first one but I think they need to make a big deal out of the 100th Anniversary and London is the best place to do that IMO. Would rather see South Africa or somewhere like Singapore get it in 2022.

• Like 1

Agree, London should hold out till 30. I'd like to see Singapore host, South Africa seems to have Olympic ambitions that we would all support instead. They really haven't been interested in CWGs hosting since reintergration.

Hello. Newbie here.

Blame Labour for going off and getting the Olympics...now really interested when England (and London) will shine again.

Thankfully 2017 will help the desire a bit.

I would like to see London get the CWG, even if it is 2034 (100 years since London Empire Games).

To get there, 2018 Gold Coast

2022 Canada (over due)

2026 South Africa?

2030 Asia. Australia, New Zealand.

As for Manchester/Birmingham. Could they host European Games? Whilst 2015 Baku is not the real deal (think without Athletics it will feel wrong), by 2019 or 2023 maybe it will have convinced other sports of it's merits. As it is the 2015 European Hocky is in London. but would it not have been better for The Games if London manged to get the 2017 Championships, and the 2015 played in Baku? The winning team would still be European Champions but would contribute to the rest of the medal table.

Of course if anything, could the European U23 Athletics be the Athletics event for the 2019 Edition.

Anyaway our hosting The European Games. After a busy decade with 2012 Olympics/Paralympics, 2014 Commonwealth Gmaes, 2015 European Hockey, 2015 Rugby World Cup, 2017 IAAF and IPC World Athetics and 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup (think the fledgling Games would want to avoid being in England with the Cricket).

So maybe if one of the major Regional Cities like Birmingham wants to host a multi-sport event could/would they look at European Games in 2023 or 2027?

I imagine 2027 a bigger city might want to host the European Games as way to show they could host the 2036 Olympics. As I would like Paris to get the 2024 Olympics (the Centennary of 1924), 2028 North America, 2032 Africa (though to close to a 2026 CWG?) or Asia/Australia? I think to close to 2024 Paris (Europe) , and with European Games maybe the continent will need to accept at least 12 year gaps.

If London got the 2034 Commonwealths. 2023 might be better than 2031 for a Europeans.

The 2010 - 2019 Decade has been wonderful for all the Sport we have hosted/will host in the UK.

But unless we see some miracles like a Football European Championship in 2028, are we prepared as a nation to wait for a London Commonwealths in the 2020 - 2019 Decade.

Sorry for the longwinded thoughts, but IMO you can have to much of great things. And 2012 was amazing (and 2002), helped by having two major Jubilees. (and I confess throw all the above away if 2022 London got the CWG and we could guarantee HM Queen celebratedher 70th Jubilee).

Or Platinum Games. Diamond League (three day like the anniversary games) the Platinum Edition maybe? Or 2022 European Athletics, European Swimming (yes I know we have 2016 Edition). World Cup Hockey, Eventing World Championship for starters.