London 2012 - One Year On

Rob2012

My first event was the cycle road race, on the first Saturday it was amazing getting up at the crack of dawn and being able to travel to Buckingham palace to see what I had only been able to watch on TV before an Olympic event, in all I saws NINE events during the Olympics all on the streets of London in blistering sunshine ,as well as a trip up the Orbit in the Olympic park , I had to wait for the Paralympics to go into the Olympic stadium , but was it worth the wait you bet.

On one day I had tickets for the morning and for the evening session in athletics - this is one start of a 100 m heat run

P1020856_zps24b29640.jpg

In the break we walked around in the Olympic Park

P1020889_zps68a732e2.jpg

We sat down on one of the lawns in front of the public viewing screen in the park (it started to rain there - that was one of the two times, that I got a little wet during the Olympics)

P1020916_zps2a575007.jpg

During the evening session I had another seat - much closer to the cauldron

P1020996_zpsde8f625b.jpg

during the evening session was the last event of the heptathlon, which Jessica Ennis won - this girl (with the green shirt) was totally excited by her victory - she shouted in such a high tone that my friend on my right got nearly deaf ;)

P1030020_zpsb2b5300c.jpg

Martin that picture of the crowd cheering is incredible. Love the picture of you next to the cauldron too. It was like you could touch that flame when you were in the stadium : )

Thanks very much Davey - it was a special evening in the Stadium! Yeah, it was really close to the cauldron - and when you walked down to the ground level there was a place where you can took a look through the lower and upper tire of the stands directly onto the cauldron...

Here are some pics from a friend of mine, who joined us for a weekend in London:

This is the proof that Rols and I got wet during the Olympics...

P1060147_zpsa8df57cb.jpg

Pistorius in London

P1060027_zps595f1458.jpg

This is a pic from the Olympic Park of the "big Saturday August 4th" - people, people, people

P1060097_zps5c744b81.jpg

On this picture my friend used a special feature - it is the evening session with the three gold medals for the UK - the Europeans, who watched the ESC 2011, will remember the postcards - everything looks very small like the pic is taken from a model railway display

P1060229_zps51398462.jpg

The audience in the wrestling arena one day later

P1060534_zpsd4b160d9.jpg

C.A.F. sitting on the sofa and typing the blog - that is the living room/kitchen/dining room of our flat in Greenwich (was the perfect place for our GB-flat-sharing group)

P1060346_zps01d23c40.jpg

C.A.F. sitting on the sofa and typing the blog - that is the living room/kitchen/dining room of our flat in Greenwich (was the perfect place for our GB-flat-sharing group)

P1060346_zps01d23c40.jpg

Nice to see pics of the flat Marts! I didn't get any myself. Yeah, Greenwich was the perfect location - such a lovely district, great streetscapes and buildings, and close to all the action at Greenwich Park so always a "Games" vibe there. And easy to use transport to just about every other venue. You picked well!

crowdsstreamthrougholym.jpg

thebrilliantandhistoric.jpg

Our local pub. I used to enjoy having dinner there with Marts (when it wasn't a McDonald's night) and watching events on the TVs inside.

1958807.jpg?type=articleLandscape

This is the proof that Rols and I got wet during the Olympics...

I still can't remember that much rain. There was that day, another day it pourd just when we were about to go out shopping (and that cleared as quickly as it came), and ... my day of the tennis finals in Wimbledon. It poured buckets going in that morning:

ibravethewimbledondownp.jpg

But cleared up to a beautiful afternoon:

thesunshinesonwimbledon.jpg

Honestly, the weather was far better than I expected of "Soggy" England.! And I came back to Oz with a tan!

Nice to see pics of the flat Marts! I didn't get any myself. Yeah, Greenwich was the perfect location - such a lovely district, great streetscapes and buildings, and close to all the action at Greenwich Park so always a "Games" vibe there. And easy to use transport to just about every other venue. You picked well!

Here are two more pics of the flat, which T. took - I think it was a good decision to rent a flat instead of taking a hotel as accommodation - it was much cheaper and it was perfect to experience the Olympic Spirit in London

P1060349_zps3f29688a.jpg

P1060348_zpscc1da8ee.jpg

i like your studio, very cozy looking and a nice kitchen and light! the perfect home-base for a games trip.

yeah - it was really a perfect place to be during the Olympics - it was really a home (when you are in hotel you can't feel at home - Cutty Sark was just around the corner and the DLR station was just over the street...

Great photos. Brings back many memories

:) Yeah, I remember the 37hour day I did thanks to the rowing finals, man what a trip!!! And I know I wasn't the only one...everyone else around me were walking like zombies as well!!! :) ...Thanks London. :lol:

:) Yeah, I remember the 37hour day I did thanks to the rowing finals, man what a trip!!! And I know I wasn't the only one...everyone else around me were walking like zombies as well!!! :) ...Thanks London. :lol:

That's why I took 2 weeks off work :)

If I may be so bold....

I realise most here will have got their tickets from ATRs around the world, but for the vast majority of UK-based London2012 ticket hunters, they'll have never heard of ATRs.... LOCOG would have seemed the only route.

I hope you enjoy this article. Must thank BBC Sport's Olympic sports reporter, Ollie Williams for giving me the chance to be a guest blogger.

http://frontierbeaver.com/sports/2013/08/guest-blog-2012-ticket-hunters/

:-)

John

I was there yesterday and it bought it all back.

The announcer said yesterday that on Super Saturday during the games as Mo crossed the line the noise was so intense it distorted the photo of the finish. I dont see how thats possible but I love the thought of it.

Hi Davey,

You'll be interested to read this then:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/athletics/9499185/Olympics-hero-Mo-Farah-aiming-to-break-Steve-Ovetts-34-year-old-British-record-at-Aviva-Birmingham-Grand-Prix.html

John

Archived