London 2012 - One Year On

Rob.

Where does the time go eh?

One year tomorrow was the Opening Ceremony of the London Games - the glowing rings coming together above the stadium, Mr Bean winding up Sir Simon Rattle, the Queen falling unceremoniously out of a helicopter, Paul McCartney missing his cue.... etc etc.

Tonight the Olympic stadium is full once again for the London Anniversary Games - which I didn't manage to get tickets for. :(

So......time for a little bit of nostalgia....Let's see the photos Gamesbidders took during their visit to the London last summer. To prevent this getting messy, I reckon a max of five photos per post, and it'd be great to have some detail on why the photos you post are your favourites from your time at the Games..

Don't think I need to add anymore...get posting! :D

• Like 1

I am very glad that I had the luck to be in London for the Olympics - the three weeks very amazing... London became my second home in that time...

P1060949_zps7f7d6a55.jpg

Like you can see my seat in the Closing ceremony was right behind the cauldron - it was breathtaking when the phoenix burst into flames...

Don't have the time to post that much these days, but wanted to come here today, and thankfully there is a post going on the anniversary.

London has become a poster child for any city wanting to host a future games in my opinion. The legacy, which is being displayed (in part) right now in the stadium is wonderful to see. 60,000 people, for a diamond league meeting? Amazing.

not surprised to see the BBC poll, which showed 2/3 of the British public felt the money spent on the games was entirely justified. The games helped install the UK back to the forefront of world sport. Today, Britain basks in its recent sporting achievements, and London 2012 has no doubt inspired a future generation of British (and i hope, other nationalities) to take up sport.

• Like 1

Olympic Photos

The Olympic Park, full, busy, Olympic Stadium with Canary Wharf looming in the background.

P1000594.jpg

My brother and I watching beach volleyball in Horse Guard's Parade. A brilliant venue atmosphere, really good fun, and the Mall was dressed impressively too with Union Flags and Olympic Rings along its length. From my seat if I looked right I could see the London Eye above the stand, and Nelson's Column and the BT Tower lit up straight ahead.

P1000537.jpg

Wembley Stadium prior to the Women's Gold medal match - a record crowd for a women's football match at an Olympics beating the record previously held by Atlanta. USA won in some style, and the performance of both teams was great. And a nice bonus, I was one of 80k people booing Sepp Blatter as he was introduced during the medal ceremony.

P1000669.jpg

A hot day in SW19 watching Serena Williams power through what was a really short early-round match. Only a few weeks after she'd won Wimbledon.

P1000451.jpg

Those who say the weather was great at London 2012 are liars! We had some nice days, and we had days like this. The most British photo I have from last Summer's Games, watching the hockey at the Riverside Arena.

P1000574.jpg

Edited by RobH
  • Like 1

Good to see some of your pics Rob!

This is the favourite from my collection, the girls with the juice stand at Greenwich.

cutegirlsmanagreenwichl.jpg

Marts and I draped in our flags (though I have mine the wrong way round!)

2rj8.jpg
How I best remember Olympic Park
aqf6.jpg
The obligatory shot of the parklands in bloom
nu4a.jpg

And at the rings above the park

aqf6.jpg
Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

When I see the "juice stand" pic from Rols I got into my mind again how the London residents, volunteers, security staff, soldiers, policemen, ambulance staff... were so kind and helpful - not like robots, but they had really an interest to welcome the visitors and help them...

And there was an atmosphere in the city - everybody was talking with each others...

The athletes were talking with the people in the underground - people, who you never met before offered they help or guidance...

Good to see some of your pics Rob!

Thanka Rols, good to see yours and Martin's too. Particularly like the one of you both with Wenlock (who seems to be giving you the evil eye). And obviously still massively jealous every time I see Martin's amazing pics of the opening ceremony!

A few more of my shots, this time from the Indian Summer that was the 2012 Paralympics...

-------------------------------------

Paralympic Photos

Paralympic track cycling. Not sure who is cycling in this particular photo, but one of the most incredible things I saw that morning (and have ever seen in fact) was a German cyclist with one leg racing around the velodrome. Most of the cyclists in his category had a metal leg strapped onto the other pedal to give some balance, but he didn't. He cycled at ridiculous speeds keeping the bike balanced using just the one pedal.

P1000775.jpg

Finally got inside the Olympic stadium during the Paralympics. Stood for the Chinese National Anthem three times that evening.

P1000847.jpg

Paralympic Cauldron burning bright.

P1000827.jpg

Olympic stadium after the evening session.

P1000859.jpg

Victorious Canadian wheelchair basketball team at the O2. The amazing Patrick Anderson scored more points in that game then the whole of the British Team managed between them in the Bronze medal match which we also saw.

P1000901.jpg

• Like 1

Also it will be interesting to compare Channel fours coverage of the Anniversary Paralympics. I thought
The BBC showed very little of and captured none of the atmosphere of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic park
With very clinical coverage. I thought this was true during the first week of the Olympic as well.

Great to see the stadium full again for the anniversary Paralympics.
I think I would give channel four the edge over the BBC for it less perfunctory courage.
And better shots of the orbit,
I guess we will have to waist until next years to find out what the Queen Elizabeth Olympic park is really like ,

Boris said he couldn’t believe how many people were there, and the stadium has an great future ahead of it as an athletics venue

It seem the political leaning curve which began when the bid was first announced is now almost complete

The next UK bit will be an exciting prospect.

less perfunctory coverage!

I was there yesterday and it bought it all back.

The announcer said yesterday that on Super Saturday during the games as Mo crossed the line the noise was so intense it distorted the photo of the finish. I dont see how thats possible but I love the thought of it.

It was great being back there yesterday, the crowd were in fine voice. Heres my 1 pic, its all I want and need to post. I have some amazing memories:

It was moment of anticipation as we were covered by the blue silk as Nimrod played below us, waiting for a ceremony I could only have dreamed would be as fantastic and mean so much to me as it did. I think you can tell from my face how excited I was, 7 years of anticipation and this was our moment, just before Danny Boyle created the most amazing piece of stagecraft I have ever seen. Just before Seb Coe delivered on just about every promise. Just before Team GB and the athletes of the world performed to a crowd that would soak up and appreciate every moment and just before a nation looked in a mirror and liked what it saw.

gn0k.jpg
  • Like 2