IT'S A BOY!

Do you think they will call him like William's uncle?

Well the Queen used up so many names with her kids it may have to be. It'll probably be George for that very reason though. Apparently Alexander and James are quite popular since these are traditional Scottish King's names and that may play well with an independence referendum next year.

I wouldn't be shocked if they picked something unexpected. They respect the institution of the monarchy, but they are clearly reinventing it for the present time. I think they will pick a name they genuinely like and perhaps some of the middle names will honor family precedent.

How old will the kid be when he becomes King?? Unfortunately, the social-climbing (senior) Mrs. Middleton (Kate's mum) won't live long enuf to see her grandson become King. At the rate the crown will be passed on to Charles, then William, the kid will be 75 when he gets to sit on the throne.

And the Onion continues:

Royal Baby Has Father’s Eyes

700.jpg?8014

LONDON—Just hours after the Duchess of Cambridge gave birth to a healthy baby boy, a source close to the Royal Family reported today that the newborn heir to the British throne has his father’s eyes. “I saw His young Highness earlier today, and I can tell you that he definitely has Prince William’s famous baby blues,” the anonymous source told The Sun after reportedly viewing the royal baby during a feeding at Buckingham Palace. “He also has his father’s ears and jaw, and his grandfather Prince Charles’ nose. And he has a full head of dark hair that looks just like his mother’s.” The source stated that the energetic infant prince spent much of the afternoon delightedly playing with his father’s hands.

The Onion

Well, I guess that is a thoroughly "British" name given that Kings George I-VI were all kings of the United Kingdom (and not of England or Scotland) - despite the first few being German. And so we have the potential future King George VII or VIII (that is if Charles does change his name as hinted in the past).

psh, can't believe kate bowed to royal pressure and renegged on our name deal like that. george is ugly and british and not in a novel bbc announcer name like alistair kind of way.

kate, that's 2 in a row if we count the sex. like i just told my mom when i threw her out of my house last week, i forgive, i don't forget.

psh, can't believe kate bowed to royal pressure and renegged on our name deal like that. george is ugly and british and not in a novel bbc announcer name like alistair kind of way.

kate, that's 2 in a row if we count the sex. like i just told my mom when i threw her out of my house last week, i forgive, i don't forget.

My impression as a Brit:

Kate Middleton is an empty-headed cypher who will do exactly what she is told. William does not have the guts to stand up to family pressure or tradition. He too will do exactly as he is told and Kate will do exactly what William tells her to do.

Anybody who ever seriously thought that these two could possibly represent any kind of modernisation of the monarchy have been rudely awakened. They will dutifully toe the line and do exactly as they are told. That much has become clear!

Kate Middleton is an empty-headed cypher who will do exactly what she is told. William does not have the guts to stand up to family pressure or tradition. He too will do exactly as he is told and Kate will do exactly what William tells her to do.

Anybody who ever seriously thought that these two could possibly represent any kind of modernisation of the monarchy have been rudely awakened. They will dutifully toe the line and do exactly as they are told. That much has become clear!

<_< Glad you noticed Kate's "Zombification" over the last five years as well...Check out pictures of her at Uni, a fit healthy sports body, confident woman...now look at her...Underfed and rail thin like her husband. Illuminatie clones.

It is the life she wanted though. I mean her mother did shove her off to St. Andrews to be with William.

The thing is, how much personality do you want your future King and Queen to have. Do you really want to know where they stand on gay marriage, gays in the Anglican clergy, past horrors of the British Empire, or what their favourite books/films/music is. The ones that show their personality the most often get the most ridicule and negative press (Princess Margaret and Prince Harry). All people really want is a blank slate to which they can project their own ideas of what Britain, Britainish etc. is.

This is uniquely British as well. With the glaring exception of Charles, there is not a direct-line royal that has put forward any personal interest beyond the scope of what is the norm in the British upper-class. Look at Queen Margrethe of Denmark, King Wilhem-Alexander, Crown Prince Frederik, the Danish and Dutch people have a much better understanding of their personalities, likes, dislikes etc. I mean if Margrethe had had a brother she would have been an accomplished painter (I mean she still is, but her work is rarely seen). Look at what Crown Prince Haakon did just before his marriage, and who he married. Never would have happened in Britain.

In this world of over the top celebrity, I think Will and Kate make a good example for others to follow.

Modernizing the monarchy? For an institution that is 1000+ years old, how do you propose modernizing it? By its very nature it IS ancient! The only way to truly modernize it is to democratize it, which in effect, would eliminate it. Or turn it into some bizarre reality TV show.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if in private they called him Alex or Alec, using Prince George or King George as his public or regnal name, just as Edward VIII was called David by most of his closest acquaintances.

Just two questions for our Brits in the know.

Why is Andrew a Duke while Edward is just an Earl?

And since James and Louis are direct male-line descendents of the soverign shouldn't it be Prince James and Princess Louis? instead of Viscount Severn and Lady Louis? I mean this would have saved a lot of people from wasting money on betting for a Prince James from William.

Just two questions for our Brits in the know.

Why is Andrew a Duke while Edward is just an Earl?

And since James and Louis are direct male-line descendents of the soverign shouldn't it be Prince James and Princess Louis? instead of Viscount Severn and Lady Louis? I mean this would have saved a lot of people from wasting money on betting for a Prince James from William.

Edward is supposed to be in line for the dukedom of Edinbugh after his father dies although it can't happen until Charles becomes king and he can re-create the title for his younger brother.

Edward and Sophie requested that their children be styled as the children of an earl rather than as male-line grandchildren of the Queen which entitles them to royal titles. They did this because they don't plan for their children to become working royals and they don't want any unnecessary media intrusion in their lives. The Queen granted their request and announced that any Wessex children would be styled 'Lord' or 'Lady' rather than as 'Prince' or 'Princess'.

It is the life she wanted though. I mean her mother did shove her off to St. Andrews to be with William.

The thing is, how much personality do you want your future King and Queen to have. Do you really want to know where they stand on gay marriage, gays in the Anglican clergy, past horrors of the British Empire, or what their favourite books/films/music is. The ones that show their personality the most often get the most ridicule and negative press (Princess Margaret and Prince Harry). All people really want is a blank slate to which they can project their own ideas of what Britain, Britainish etc. is.

This is uniquely British as well. With the glaring exception of Charles, there is not a direct-line royal that has put forward any personal interest beyond the scope of what is the norm in the British upper-class. Look at Queen Margrethe of Denmark, King Wilhem-Alexander, Crown Prince Frederik, the Danish and Dutch people have a much better understanding of their personalities, likes, dislikes etc. I mean if Margrethe had had a brother she would have been an accomplished painter (I mean she still is, but her work is rarely seen). Look at what Crown Prince Haakon did just before his marriage, and who he married. Never would have happened in Britain.

I agree with you. It seems the UK monarchy is still one of the most traditionalists in the world. I mean, now some of them don't really consider you have to die in the throne but rather hand it over to a new generation when you feel accomplished (Netherlands, Liechtenstein (although partially) and Belgium, although the later seems to also have been because of Albert II scandals having an illegitimate child). In the meanwhile, it seems very unlikely Lilybeth will retire, even though his son is probably either going to die while waiting for the throne or have a short reign :P

Although if we want to criticize a monarchy about it's excessive traditionalism, I think the Imperial Family of Japan is the worst case. Poor Masako and her daughter...

Poor Masako and her daughter...

Masako? Her poor mother-in-law, the current Empress Michiko--the first commoner to supposedly intermarry into the 'divine' Yamato line. It's supposedly the court etiquette that also caused a breakdown or two for Michiko. I imagine things were a little looser for Masako, and being a diplomat's daughter, she had an inkling of what court life would be. Some people aren't cut out for the more rigid life of the 'working royals.'

I agree with you. It seems the UK monarchy is still one of the most traditionalists in the world. I mean, now some of them don't really consider you have to die in the throne but rather hand it over to a new generation when you feel accomplished (Netherlands, Liechtenstein (although partially) and Belgium, although the later seems to also have been because of Albert II scandals having an illegitimate child). In the meanwhile, it seems very unlikely Lilybeth will retire, even though his son is probably either going to die while waiting for the throne or have a short reign :P

Although if we want to criticize a monarchy about it's excessive traditionalism, I think the Imperial Family of Japan is the worst case. Poor Masako and her daughter...

Depends on how you look at it, there are working royals in Britain that are of the same status as members of the Imperial Family that are private citizens now. And the Empire is probably one of the better known examples of having an interest and life outside of just being the Empire.

Archived