New Zealand Earthquakes: Wellington/Cook Strait region.

:(:wacko: Wooo felt that one. 6.5. at 1709 NZST.

Moderate damage in Wellington.

No loss of life reported but the Airport was closed immediately for the Runway to be inspected. Reports coming in of broken glass and building frontage masonary falling into streets. Power supply is out in some suburban regions. Train travel has been suspended with Kiwirail inspects tracks. The port has received considerable wharf surface damage but is still open.

Wellington's buildings a more structurally sound than Christchurch's as the country's major Fault line pass directly underneath the city.

There have been a large swarm of smaller quakes in the Cook Strait region over the last few days with the South Island towns of Blenhiem and Seddon receiving minor damage.

Update: The Civil Defence Emergency Centre has been activated, located in the Parliament bunker.

Scotguy lives in Wellington...Wonder if he can add updates, might be his Power supply out?

Arrived back in Australia from AKL today. It is particularly unnerving to hear of this event in another region of NZ, but as I heard on the radio this morning, it is unrelated to the activity in Canterbury over the past few years.

A reassuring aspect of this news is that Wellington is the most well prepared of any NZ city- if the Feb. 2011 quake had occurred there it would not have been as devastating.

Hope this is the worst of it.

Hello, I was a few hundred km away in Taranaki and certainly felt it. My apartment in Wellington has suffered some minor damage but nothing serious. Parliament where I work has suffered damage as well. There are no reports of injuries at this stage but there has been plenty of aftershocks during the evening. Lets hope there are no other big ones lurking. New Zealand has had its fair share of earthquakes

Felt a small judder in Hamilton...And Hamilton rarely feels them. I've got a top end precision German Hermil wall clock, no s##t it stopped right on time. Didn't notice it till 6pm when it didn't chime.

There was a small shake in Welly just after 11pm NZST.

Wellys buildings are Japanese strength and apart from superficial plaster cracking pretty much cope with a strong quake such as this.

All the Government buildings and Te Papa Museum sit atop huge rubber pads that allow sway and absorb shock. Freeky to watch in action.

In the German news was just said, that the people are asked not to go into the business centre of Wellington before the buildings are checked by engineers...

Furthermore it was mentioned that in John Key's, the prime minister of New Zealand, office some bottles of wine were broken.

Yes several offices in parliament suffered some I or damage including falling filing cabinets. Nothing too serious though

Prime Minister looked more pissed off than anything else today...Yet another vertical cliff face to surmount. Really getting thrown at us, need to stay rock solid as a nation...

What I fear is a parallel event like Christchurch...In five months time Wellys will get hit with a nasty jolter!

Prime Minister looked more pissed off than anything else today...Yet another vertical cliff face to surmount. Really getting thrown at us, need to stay rock solid as a nation...

What I fear is a parallel event like Christchurch...In five months time Wellys will get hit with a nasty jolter!

I really hope that doesn't happen mate. New Zealand wont be able to cope with another big one. All we need now is one of the volcanoes in Auckland to blow.

Aren't the North- and the South-Island of plate tectonics origin?

I can imagine that whole NZ is under earthquake threat (of course some areas are safer than others) - and the same is valid for vulcanos

Very much so CAF...Indo-Australian and Pacific Rim plates colliding and pushing up out of the sea creating NZ. South Island is 'older', Christchurch's Banks Peninsular is a giant multi cratered volcano, now habours. All of the South Island shakes as the Southern Alps are the tectonic zone. Cook Strait was once a land bridge...Clearly torn in two and pushed away. This is where there are many faults active at the moment.

North Island is volcanic, yet where the volcanos are, The Plateau, very little earthquake activity...only shakes when eruption is imminent. Lake Taupo, the big heart shaped looking one, is the crater of the cataclysmic volcanic eruption that help plunge the world into the mini ice age and 'dark ages'...Oh, and it is still very active under all that water! Auckland sits on a 'field' of volcanic cones.

Hence the reason why we don't have 'graceful' looking bridges and delicate architecture. We have to build 'strong'...and in Wellington, Napier,(and more so now Christchurch) stronger!

• 4 weeks later...

I was walking down Lambton Quay the Main Street of Wellington when the earthquake hit this afternoon. Was a big one and there have been many aftershocks since then. The biggest hitting within the last 30,minutes. I had photos and a clock fall down. It's not nice and might be a rocky nights sleep

I'm glad that you are alright, Scotsguy.

Just chatting with Micheal Warren on Facebook: he is fine too

Alexjc, are you in Wellington too - I thought you are living in the north of the North Island

I'm in Waikanae staying with friends. located at the northern tip of the Wellington Metro rail network. Heavy traffic this evening as there were no trains for the rest of the day.

Archived