Has The 2020 Race Become a Proper, Interesting, Contest?

i´m really curious how the IOC will vote in september

i can see all 3 bids win somehow

but something tells me it will be Madrid

Hmmmmm. And what compelling sales pitch does Madrid have? Give us the Games becuz we've built nearly everything...and we have a charismatic royal family? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An opinion piece which brings up Turkey's doping issues but doesn't once mention Fuentes (!!), which mentions Turkey's protests but forgets about civil unrest in Spain. Also, its use of Barcelona as

Emre, all of those things have been talked about on this forum. There are threads on BOTH the Spanish and Turkish doping cases (I know, I started them both), there was a thread on Fukushima, there has

Here are two bigger question: 1. When will the Expo 2020 winner be named? Izmir winning or losing BEFORE September 7 could have an impact on Istanbul winning or losing Olympic Games 2020. ANd 2.

Curious how someone is right about Madrid fearing YOG in Buenos Aires and wrong about Tokyo fearing Singapore & Nanjing. Really curious.

The same way I'm "really curious" too, how some of you enjoy to cite that Istanbul should "fear" Turkey's & Brazil's protests, yet Madrid shouldn't fear Spain's unrest of their own. Also the same way how Istanbul should 'fear' their own big buget against Madrid's "low-cost" plan, while Barcelona's own BIG spending is somehow a positive for Madrid. And how some of you could be "right" that Tokyo should fear that they've hosted before, yet others are "wrong" that Spain has already hosted the Summer Games as recent as 1992. And Turkey never has.

Besides, I didn't say that person was right about the BA youth games. What I said was I "wonder" how that aspect "could" play out, considering the BA youth games is the most RECENT awarding by the IOC. Unlike Nanjing, which was over 4 years ago, & where the IOC only had Poland as an alternative on the ballot. You & your fellow compatriot over there should learn how to read first before you comment, why don't ya.

And BTW, how am I suppose to "forget about you", when again you make it so difficult to be forgotten. :blink: Always buzzing around here like a pesky gnat. So 'please', I'd love

Hmmmmm. And what compelling sales pitch does Madrid have? Give us the Games becuz we've built nearly everything...and we have a charismatic royal family? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Precisely!

to 'forget' you already once & for all! :P

Ugh, damn cut & paste! That last part was meant for cindy.

And BTW, how am I suppose to "forget about you", when again you make it so difficult to be forgotten. :blink: Always buzzing around here like a pesky gnat. So 'please', I'd love

Plus, I was merely citing how someone was incorrectly labeling everything (including the youth games) as the "Olympiads", when only the Summer Olympic Games are "officially" known by the IOC as such. Nice though how you just wanted to take that off in a tangent.

i said it is a feeling

i guess Tokyo and back to back Asian games..........

Istanbul was the frontrunner, but will the IOC really trust them after what happend in the last weeks?

Madrid already gained a good ammount of votes in the last 2 votings, and so it might be enough this time to win it

The same way I'm "really curious" too, how some of you enjoy to cite that Istanbul should "fear" Turkey's & Brazil's protests, yet Madrid shouldn't fear Spain's unrest of their own. Also the same way how Istanbul should 'fear' their own big buget against Madrid's "low-cost" plan, while Barcelona's own BIG spending is somehow a positive for Madrid. And how some of you could be "right" that Tokyo should fear that they've hosted before, yet others are "wrong" that Spain has already hosted the Summer Games as recent as 1992. And Turkey never has.

Besides, I didn't say that person was right about the BA youth games. What I said was I "wonder" how that aspect "could" play out, considering the BA youth games is the most RECENT awarding by the IOC. Unlike Nanjing, which was over 4 years ago, & where the IOC only had Poland as an alternative on the ballot. You & your fellow compatriot over there should learn how to read first before you comment, why don't ya.

Precisely!

Ugh, damn cut & paste! That last part was meant for cindy.

Pesky gnat? Calm down. I know it's sour grapes to you to be left exposed in you biased opinions, but no need to insult.

Calm down people its a game, dont argue badly each others and enjoy :-), 3 cities are great and they have good things for enjoy and fun.

I want Madrid to win, of course im spanish, but i wont be mad if Tokio or Estambul win.

I think we ( Madrid ) havnt many options, for all i read here and our situation, but who knows...

Lets enjoy and dont figth each other, i hope now till 7 sept read good things about the cities and not only bad hehehe.

Good summer

Sorry for my usual mountains english lol

Calm down people its a game, dont argue badly each others and enjoy :-), 3 cities are great and they have good things for enjoy and fun.

I want Madrid to win, of course im spanish, but i wont be mad if Tokio or Estambul win.

I think we ( Madrid ) havnt many options, for all i read here and our situation, but who knows...

Lets enjoy and dont figth each other, i hope now till 7 sept read good things about the cities and not only bad hehehe.

Good summer

Sorry for my usual mountains english lol

es ese senor que siempre esta insultando y siendo un mal educado... dice ser objetivo pero es mentira.

None of the Madrid supporters here are actually sure about a city win in September, although some of them (us) tend to be intense about the defense of the bid. But this doesn't mean we blindly think it will win Istanbul & Tokyo, that are both great, great contenders, with more geopolitical strengths than Spain. However, there are blind positions indeed against Madrid options, and that's all.

• Like 1

None of the Madrid supporters here are actually sure about a city win in September, although some of them (us) tend to be intense about the defense of the bid. But this doesn't mean we blindly think it will win Istanbul & Tokyo, that are both great, great contenders, with more geopolitical strengths than Spain.

Very honest self-analysis, Cindy. As the vote approaches, at least you're going in with your blinders down; and that's a sobering thing.

I know it's sour grapes to you to be left exposed in you biased opinions.

Excuse me. The Queen of Bias is calling me bias? Whatever. You're such a 'sour grapes' hypocrite. The only one here with bias opinions is you & your "supporters".

es ese senor que siempre esta insultando y siendo un mal educado... dice ser objetivo pero es mentira.

Please look in the mirror, Cindy. Simply bcuz I'm not compelled with the bid of your choice is the only reason you say these type of dispariging things. If I was so totally on the Madrid bandwagon, you & your buddies over there, would be inviting over for tea & telling me how wonderful a Madrid Olympics could be.

Well, sorry if you think that I'm not being objective. But surely what could one expect from a bias supporter to say. Of course I'm not being objective to you. But again, & like I've said plenty of times here already, I'm not the only one here that share those same sentiments. You think I'm bias, fine. Whatever. No surprise there. But to the real objective observer, I'm not.

So please, deja de ser una Gran Mentirosa! :angry: And again, what was that about "forgetting you"?! :blink: How can I do that if you keep on insisting of being a big, pesky instigator! :P

Well, sorry if you think that I'm not being objective.

Obviously you're not. You may have valid reasons, but none of us is truly objective. You have spent so much time promoting Tokyo that to a certain extent I can understand the frustration of certain members although it has now turned to almost trolling.

Tokyo 2020 is not a bad choice for the Africans and North Americans except if they want 2024 in particular and can't wait 4 or 8 years more in maximum

Tokyo 2020 means 2024 will be 80~90% in Europe after two editions in South America and Asia .. well it hasn't happened before but everything is possible and we could have 3 consecutive games outside Europe

anyway let's say it's Tokyo 2020 and Europe 2024
that means it's the time for Africa or North America in 2028 if the IOC wants the Olympics to travel around the world
the loser can take 2032 so if it's Africa's time in 2028 that will open the door for North America to be the front-runner in 2032

since Atlanta 1996 the Summer Olympics went to all the continents and if it goes back to North America ( Canada vs US battle ) in 2032 the Olympics will be hosted in all continents since 2000 or the beginning of the new Millenium/Century in just 32 years

as I said before after that they can go back to Europe in 2036 and it will be widely open in 2040's for Oceania, Asia, South America again.

just say Tokyo 2020 somehow is not a bad choice for Canada/US and Africa in long term if they lost 2024 to Europe they could be the front-runner in the next two races 2028/2032

eliminate Asia for few future cycles by giving them 2020 is a good choice for Africa and Canada/US

2024 is not the last Olympics ever and in the end it will go to one city/country/continent
the losers will have to wait 4, 8 or more years and it could depend on this 2020 vote
Tokyo win is only bad for Madrid and Istanbul .. for them it's the best chance if not now it will be a long wait until the Olympics will go to their cities. except if one of them will come with a better bid than Paris,Rome and Berlin for 2024. who know's? :huh:

Tokyo 2020 is not a bad choice for the Africans and North Americans except if they want 2024 in particular and can't wait 4 or 8 years more in maximum

Tokyo 2020 means 2024 will be 80~90% in Europe after two editions in South America and Asia .. well it hasn't happened before but everything is possible and we could have 3 consecutive games outside Europe

anyway let's say it's Tokyo 2020 and Europe 2024
that means it's the time for Africa or North America in 2028 if the IOC wants the Olympics to travel around the world
the loser can take 2032 so if it's Africa's time in 2028 that will open the door for North America to be the front-runner in 2032

since Atlanta 1996 the Summer Olympics went to all the continents and if it goes back to North America ( Canada vs US battle ) in 2032 the Olympics will be hosted in all continents since 2000 or the beginning of the new Millenium/Century in just 32 years

as I said before after that they can go back to Europe in 2036 and it will be widely open in 2040's for Oceania, Asia, South America again.

just say Tokyo 2020 somehow is not a bad choice for Canada/US and Africa in long term if they lost 2024 to Europe they could be the front-runner in the next two races 2028/2032

eliminate Asia for few future cycles by giving them 2020 is a good choice for Africa and Canada/US

2024 is not the last Olympics ever and in the end it will go to one city/country/continent
the losers will have to wait 4, 8 or more years and it could depend on this 2020 vote
Tokyo win is only bad for Madrid and Istanbul .. for them it's the best chance if not now it will be a long wait until the Olympics will go to their cities. except if one of them will come with a better bid than Paris,Rome and Berlin for 2024. who know's? :huh:

This perfectly explains my thoughts...thanks. I really do not think that Madrid/Istanbul could stand against a Paris, Berlin, and Rome 2024 bid. That is if those three cities bid. Even if it was just Paris she would win.

At least that's what I think.

This perfectly explains my thoughts...thanks. I really do not think that Madrid/Istanbul could stand against a Paris, Berlin, and Rome 2024 bid. That is if those three cities bid. Even if it was just Paris she would win.

At least that's what I think.

istanbul will have 2 adventages.

1- the main budget of 2020 is infrastructre and transport. till 2017 they will be all finished and the traffic wont be a prob.( 3rd bridge, 3rd airport, under bosphorus metro and highway, İstanbul Canal project.

2- the new IOC president shall want his name as the first giving the olympics to a muslim country and new cultural area.

also the ıoc members who shall support istanbul can be another plus for 2024 race.

i dont think so they will just award an african city cause its in africa in one shot.

i dont think so they will just award an african city cause its in africa in one shot.

Why not, emre? For anyone following the Olympics, they know that Africa has been bypassed, NOT favored in the past by the IOC and is the left untouched continent standing. If Durban submits a competent and viable -- and I assume they will, they've (RSA) bid before, they'll know what is required, then why not?? There's always a first time. If Madrid and Athens have pulled the 'never bid again after' card, then why can RSA also NOT pull it in addition to the 'Last Continent Card' + 'These will be the Mandela Games' card, how can the IOC say no???

• Like 1

if Durban isn't ready, or seems unorganized.....I'd say no.

Of course. That's why I said if it is a competent, viable bid. But they'll know the drill; RSA has entered before; they will have experts advising them. They will have connections with the IOC and the federations.

It's amazing how some people can't read what's there. Of course a Durban bid would have to be viable & organized. The IOC is not that stupid that they'll award an African bid just cuz it's Africa if it's not up to snuff. But if/when they do, that's gonna be such a strong appeal that it's not gonna be that easy for the IOC to ignore.

And as far as Istanbul is concerned, there's a reason why many cite that 2020 is the best chance that they've ever had of winning. If they can't win it now, then who knows when they ever will. And if they were to be bidding against South Africa for 2024, I don't think this 2020 bid would mean much. It'd be like 2008 all over with them again when they were bidding against Beijing. Yeah, a new president would want a legacy attached to him as well, like Samaranch & Rogge. But certainly the last continent to be touched by the Olympics is certainly a much bigger legacy than "bridging two continents" that have hosted plenty of times already.

It's amazing how some people can't read what's there. Of course a Durban bid would have to be viable & organized. The IOC is not that stupid that they'll award an African bid just cuz it's Africa if it's not up to snuff. But if/when they do, that's gonna be such a strong appeal that it's not gonna be that easy for the IOC to ignore.

And as far as Istanbul is concerned, there's a reason why many cite that 2020 is the best chance that they've ever had of winning. If they can't win it now, then who knows when they ever will. And if they were to be bidding against South Africa for 2024, I don't think this 2020 bid would mean much. It'd be like 2008 all over with them again when they were bidding against Beijing. Yeah, a new president would want a legacy attached to him as well, like Samaranch & Rogge. But certainly the last continent to be touched by the Olympics is certainly a much bigger legacy than "bridging two continents" that have hosted plenty of times already.

tottaly agree.... 2024 will be the strangest and most exciting race will be ...