Sign in to follow this  
Sir Rols

Has The 2020 Race Become a Proper, Interesting, Contest?

I have just read the first lines of your comments, its enough. I am 'amarillo' an eventhough you insist i don't have other alias here. If i agree what the other posted is because it's truth, it has arguments, i can see that the article talks about protests in Instanbul and not in Madrid, it says that tokyo hosted the olympics twice, and does not mention barcelona in this sense.

However you talk with out arguments. You have some mistic adversion towards Madrid, When i told you that i wouldn't like you to come to madrid yo said... ' Oh in that case Madrid shouldnt bid for the Games' is that logical? You are always like that, you just critisice, thats what i don't like about you. ( and the you say you are objective) lol

Whatever. You're so disparaging & a complete hypocrite & that's what I don't like about you. I'm done with you for good now. You're a complete waste of my time.

Turks complaining of bias! Spaniards complaining of bias! Japanese still avoiding English speaking websites in droves ... we must be getting close to decision time.

And those of us who've had the Games in our country this Millennium can relax, sit back and watch the fun.

Another glass of champagne old chap?

A year ago, I would have said that Istanbul was on track to take this with Tokyo as a close back up and Madrid further behind. In fact, I did say that...or something like it. Now? Who knows? It could be the same or the compete opposite. Or just flat out Tokyo. Or maybe the IOC will just stay in Buenos Aires and upgrade the 2018 YOGs.

Argh that is just ridiculous. I really don't want Istanbul to host. Tokyo is so much better suited!!!! As for Madrid. They are looking good but can't see them winning

I have just read the first lines of your comments, its enough. I am 'amarillo' an eventhough you insist i don't have other alias here. If i agree what the other posted is because it's truth, it has arguments, i can see that the article talks about protests in Instanbul and not in Madrid, it says that tokyo hosted the olympics twice, and does not mention barcelona in this sense.

However you talk with out arguments. You have some mistic adversion towards Madrid, When i told you that i wouldn't like you to come to madrid yo said... ' Oh in that case Madrid shouldnt bid for the Games' is that logical? You are always like that, you just critisice, thats what i don't like about you. ( and the you say you are objective) lol

SHUTUP SHUTUP. Oh my god I am sick to death of this Tokyo hosted the Olympics. BOO FREAKING HOO. London did and still beat out 4 of the worlds best cities in 2012. Tokyo has had only minor blunders to Spains shitty economy. Seriously I am over your same old arguments that Madrid needs it boost there economy and Tokyo hosted. Madrid is a great city. However the economy is a HUGE issue and if we want to talk about past hosting then Barcelona hosted 20 years ago Tokyo was 50.

Anyone using the 'desire to go to Africa' argument to support Istanbul is deluded. The IOC has learned a very important lesson from Athens, Beijing and Rio. Timing is everything, get it wrong and it will be a disaster, get it right and things will be a success. No matter the timing, Athens would have been expensive and left a hole in the Greek economy, if it had been 8 years earlier things would have been much worse. China needed to wait those 8 years to deliver what they delivered and now it looks like the IOC rushed to Rio a bit too soon. And Rio will certainly give the IOC pause to go to both Turkey and South Africa.

Baron my be full of nonsense most of the time, but he did say something very true a far full years ago now. The International Olympic Committee is beholden to no one, has an obligation to none and will do things in a manner and timeframe that suits itself. It will not make decisions based on what is potentially to come, only on what is now in front of it (paraphrasing). Right now the IOC has Tokyo, Japan; Madrid, Spain; and Istanbul, Turkey; in front of them and the decision of the 100+ IOC members will be based on that. If logic, economics, political stability and plain common sense hold. The Eastern Capital will host the Olympic Games for the 2nd time.

Edited by faster

Argh that is just ridiculous. I really don't want Istanbul to host. Tokyo is so much better suited!!!! As for Madrid. They are looking good but can't see them winning

SHUTUP SHUTUP. Oh my god I am sick to death of this Tokyo hosted the Olympics. BOO FREAKING HOO. London did and still beat out 4 of the worlds best cities in 2012. Tokyo has had only minor blunders to Spains shitty economy. Seriously I am over your same old arguments that Madrid needs it boost there economy and Tokyo hosted. Madrid is a great city. However the economy is a HUGE issue and if we want to talk about past hosting then Barcelona hosted 20 years ago Tokyo was 50.

Maybe is you who should SHUT UP, just read my comment please, i'm critisizing the article because it says that Tokyo hosted the Olympics, and it doesn't mention BCN'92. And i am also sick to death of this 'Spains shitty economy', as Madrid can deliver perfectly the games, Tokyo seems to think that money is the only important thing for the Games, lets se what happens in september......

It's a shame Paris aren't in this, as they would have won easily. That said, I don't really mind which city wins 2020, as they all have ups & downs. If I had to vote from this field I would probably pick Tokyo, it is probably the best candidate now. However, this could well change by September 7. One question for anyone who knows more than me, how do you think that the election of the next President will affect the 2020 vote?

Maybe is you who should SHUT UP, just read my comment please, i'm critisizing the article because it says that Tokyo hosted the Olympics, and it doesn't mention BCN'92. And i am also sick to death of this 'Spains shitty economy', as Madrid can deliver perfectly the games, Tokyo seems to think that money is the only important thing for the Games, lets se what happens in september......

Oh god. WHAT DO YOU NEED TO HOST AN OLYMPICS. MONEY. What pays for security? MONEY. What pays for bidding? MONEY. What pays for infrastructure? (I don't give a **** if you've built 80%) you still need MONEY.

Maybe the article should mention Barcelona.

Spain's unemployment was 25% in May. THAT IS NOT GOOD. A country like that is in an awful economic situation, that country does NOT deserve a games. There predicted budget is plain BS.

Let's wait til September indeed.

Financially secure Tokyo or 25% unemployment Madrid or dictator prime minister Istanbul.

Oh god. WHAT DO YOU NEED TO HOST AN OLYMPICS. MONEY. What pays for security? MONEY. What pays for bidding? MONEY. What pays for infrastructure? (I don't give a **** if you've built 80%) you still need MONEY.

Spain's unemployment was 25% in May. THAT IS NOT GOOD. A country like that is in an awful economic situation, that country does NOT deserve a games. There predicted budget is plain BS.

Financially secure Tokyo or 25% unemployment Madrid or dictator prime minister Istanbul.

Of course money is needed, Madrid & Spain have enough money for the Games, eventhough you tend to say that with the crisis they are not possible. But money is not everything, (what japaneesse supporters seem to believe). Tokyo has all the money ready, ok, that's great!! but that does not mean that the Games are going to be more interesting, amusing, entertaining, 'spectacular' (i find Tokyo's bid boring, yes), that the athlets are going to be more confortable, and that the visitors and public are going to enjoy more, to find better transport and facilities, or even prizes ( Yes, due to the horrible crisis prizes are much much lower in Madrid than in Tokyo, including hotels, etc)

I don't think boring is necessarily a bad thing. Sochi, Rio and Pyeongchang are going to offer enough drama for everyone involved. I think the IOC might want and need a good, efficient, unsexy, reserved Japanese games to overcome the bombastic recent string of Games.

I am so sick of people saying that the Islamic world never hosted the Olympics and they need to host the Olympics Games um people it s a choice to follow Islam and Istanbul Turkey is in Europe and Asia both of them hosted the Olympics Games and it is not like Rio de Janeiro Brazil Where South America never hosted the Olympics before the last one they they can get away case with is Africa.

Also so sick of people saying that Tokyo Japan hosted the Olympics Games, It will be 56 years since they last hosted the Summer Olympics in 2020 that is a life time ago and most people alive today that was around for the Tokyo 64 games was Young Adults, Teenages and Kids back in the early 60s most of them are old now 56 years is a life time ago.

It is a race between Madrid Spain and Tokyo Japan now for the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics Games, Istanbul Turkey is now dead at least with Spain they got history in putting on major events and Istanbul never hosted a multi sporting event unlike Rio de Janeiro Brazil and Turkey is a poor country with a failed foreign policy, Right next door to Civil Wars and Turkey is in riots now and the Turkish doping issue is very very massive compared to what is going on in Spain, Spain is a much better country economy, socially and touristy then Turkey, Turkey has a bad record with Women rights and honor killings still going on in Turkey with out punishment by the government and very little LGBTI Rights in Turkey and what is going on in Russia right now on the issue the IOC is very worried about that issue now so it wikll be bad news for Turkey and other countries like Turkey with little to no LGBTI rights.

I think that Tokyo Japan will win the 2020 Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games hosting rights Japan the 3rd largest economy in the world in the Pacific the 21st Century is the Pacific Century, A major city in the world and Japan hosted great multi sporting events and I think that Spain should work on a Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games Bid with Barcelona they would win hands down the Winter Games never been to Western Europe before and the IOC will want to go to a new place for the Winter Games.

50 DAYS UNTIL DECISION DAY

Let the petty comparisons and fighting begin to ramp up!!!!

I am going to sit back and watch, because quite honestly, I don't really care who wins this race.

I had a dream last night that Madrid won and everyone on this forum was freaking out. If they win in September maybe I have some sort of gift.

Interesting to note Tokyo lost its bids for the 2019 and 2021 World Aquatics Championships, and I believe some of the voting members also vote for the Olympics.

Perhaps Tokyo lost those smaller world championships, around the same time-frame, so as to have the much bigger prize awarded to them instead. Many cited that was part of PyeongChang's 2014 problem, that they had recently been awarded other sporting festivals around the same time & that perhaps it was too much to give South Korea yet another big sporting prize.

LMFAO! BRAVISIMO, Darcy! Applauds! But be careful, bcuz you're "criticizing & despising, & are simply 'against' Madrid'! :lol:

Oh, no, Darcy. :unsure: "Amarillo" (along with 'bimbo87') are now going to put you on the their "Madrid Blacklist", cuz you simply have 'no arguments'. :lol: .

• Like 1

Interesting to note Tokyo lost its bids for the 2019 and 2021 World Aquatics Championships, and I believe some of the voting members also vote for the Olympics.

seems like they were not officially bidding or withdrew before the vote

Fina 2019/2021 race was strange

in October last year Fina announcement that China,Korea and Japan are bidding to host the events

Lausanne (SUI), October 27, 2012 – The National Federations of China, Japan and Korea (in all cases, cities to be confirmed) have expressed their intention to be involved in the bid process for the organisation of the 2019 FINA World Championships, and eventually for the 2021 edition.

Fina

In January they confirmed the three bidders and added Budapest to them

Lausanne (SUI), January 17, 2013 - Representatives from the National Federations/Cities of China (city to be confirmed),Hungary/Budapest, Japan/Tokyo and Korea/Gwangju were on January 16, 2013 in Lausanne (SUI) for an informative meeting on the bidding procedure for the FINA World Championships in 2019, and possibly 2021.

Fina

in March they were five

Hungarian Bid For 2021 FINA World Championships Handed Over

Prime Minister Viktor Orbán, accompanied by State Secretary for Sport István Simicskó and Chairman of the Hungarian Swimming Association Tamás Gyárfás, handed over the Hungary’s bid for organising the International Swimming Federation’s (FINA) World Championships in 2021.
According to the joint press release of the Prime Minister’s Office and the Hungarian Swimming Association, a very positive discussion took place, where FINA Executive Director Cornel Marculescu appreciated Hungary’s candidacy as well as the fact that the Hungarian government is so committed to the event. To express his acknowledgement, Mr Marculescu handed over a memory plaquette to the Prime Minister.
At the end of February, Tamás Gyárfás informed the international association that Hungary would make a bid for the 2021 World Championships. At the end of March, Viktor Orbán received FINA’s Secretary General and Chairman of the European Swimming League (LEN) Paolo Barelli, who assured him of FINA’s support in Hungary’s bidding procedure.
In addition to Hungary, South Korea, Japan, China and the United Arab Emirates are also among the candidates. The selection of the preferred bidder will be made on 19 July by secret voting of the FINA Executive Committee.

http://www.xpatloop.com/news/72891

last tuesday the bidders were different ! did Japan and China withdrew?

- The consolidation and stability of the FINA calendar: in Barcelona, FINA will decide on the hosts of the 2019 and 2021 FINA World Championships, for which interest has been received from Gwangju (KOR), Budapest (HUN), Baku (AZE) and the United Arab Emirates;

Fina

after some search I found news that Baku and Abu Dhabi withdrew their bids Thursday night

Today Fina announcement that Gwangju and Budapest will host the 2019 and 2021 world championships

Barcelona (ESP), July 19, 2013 - The cities of Gwangju (KOR) in 2019 and Budapest (HUN) in 2021 will be the hosts of the FINA World Championships, after the decision of the FINA Bureau today in Barcelona.

Fina

If I had to vote from this field I would probably pick Tokyo, it is probably the best candidate now. However, this could well change by September 7.

Crown Prince Narohito could choke on a fishbone in Buenos Aires and it's sayonara, Tokyo!!

I didn't know where to put this, but do you think, as I think, that the 2020 election is actually less about selecting a city for 2020 as it is about selecting a continent/region for 2024/28?

I didn't know where to put this, but do you think, as I think, that the 2020 election is actually less about selecting a city for 2020 as it is about selecting a continent/region for 2024/28?

No. The IOC still needs a 2020 host. Geopolitics will influence the decision heavily because no bid has distanced itself from the others, but the vote is still about 2020. Plus, as we have discovered, it's impossible to predict the future. At this point in the 2016 campaign, most people suspected 2020 would be a showdown between Rome and Durban while Tokyo appeared to be on a fool's errand. How quickly the sands shifted.

Sure, there'll be some members who might vote with an eye to the future chances of their respective cities. But believe it or not, there'll also be some who vote on who they think is "best". As we often say here, with 100+ members, there'll be 100+ reasons for them all to vote the way they do.

September 7, 2013

2020 Olympic Voting Round 1 Results

Jacques Rogg : "Votes 100, Participants 100, the city of Madrid receiving the least amount of votes will not go forward

2020 Olympic Voting Round two

Jacques Rogg: "It gives me great pleasure to announce that the games of the XXXII Olympiad have been awarded to the city of Tokyo"

Me thinks...

all cities can win... previosu bids there is 1 fav. 1 black horse.. this time all cities are black horse tokyo fav.

and never the fav. wins :)

its getting complicated