U.S. to Boycott Sochi?

Soaring

Well then prove to him why he shouldn't.

I am new. Give me time please. Like I said yesterday I am here to LEARN, Help and Contribute to these Amazing Forums.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you think of Obama's decision Athensfan?

First, I think this move is more about Obama winning points at home than anything else. It was an easy win for him.

It would've made more of an impact if he had gone to Sochi and stated his beliefs. This was a relatively safe approach as it comes on the heels of similar decisions from Germany and France.

I think the decision sends a clear message, but it is preaching to the choir. The move isn't going to change hearts or minds in Russia or in other ultra conservative nations. It may simply galvanize them against the hedonistic west.

I don't see how this decision would be a blow to American hosting aspirations. The IOC doesn't seem to have a problem with certain countries negative human rights' records. Why should they have a problem with a positive one from the US? Particularly when the US is acting in the company of Germany and France?

@AthensFan, may I ask politely that in future please can you guide me instead of pick out on me. Thank You. And I agree with AthensFan on his last post.

@AthensFan, may I ask politely that in future please can you guide me instead of pick out on me. Thank You. And I agree with AthensFan on his last post.

Others tried. You didn't get it. So I came on like a ton of bricks. No apologies.

If you're going to post, you should know something about the topic.

Others tried. You didn't get it. So I came on like a ton of bricks. No apologies.

If you're going to post, you should know something about the topic.

What do you want from me? I admitted I was wrong.

Post with forethought.

I will. Now can we get along and move on. Thanks

Back to topic - I just done some research on the matter and read that Usa will send Gay Athletes to Sochi 2014 - My Response - Good on them. Show Putin that whatever Race, Orientation or Political Belief that you are welcome at the Games.

If I ask the question why should Christians be any more insulted by this than any other section of society, is there an answer you'll be able to give me that doesn't paint conservative Christians in a bad light?

I can understand people who say they don't agree with mixing politics and sport, and that Obama should go, although I'd disagree with them in thie case. I can't begin to understand why this delegation should be an 'insult' to any decent American though.

SHOCKER: Brian Boitano comes out!! :blink:

http://www.advocate.com/sports/2013/12/19/figure-skater-brian-boitano-comes-out

OMG! They'll arrest the whole US delegation! :unsure:

Meanwhile, there's this new reminder from the IOC...

http://www.advocate.com/sports/2013/12/10/ioc-head-warns-athletes-against-protesting-sochi

I'd love to see the arrests and the brawls and the drama... Would make the Tonya-Nancy tiff seem like a walk in the park!!

Bet NBC is hoping for such!! ;)

Jeez, I figured out that he was gay 25 years ago. Perhaps he didn't feel like making a big deal out of it until now, perhaps he wants to compete with BJK for top billing.

If Obama had any balls, he'd go himself (or send the Mrs.) and wear some sort of rainbow pin or scarf or whatever.

If Obama had any balls, he'd go himself (or send the Mrs.) and wear some sort of rainbow pin or scarf or whatever.

That/s NOT the point.

#1 - He has more important things to do than just attend the WOGs.

#2 - He shouldn't give any more import to this show of Russia by going; and

#3 - It's an in-your-face move to send a heavily LGBT Official delegation -- to which I think the Russians will probably ignore the US delegation in payback. So again, it's tit-for-tat time. 1980 -1984.

This president has a history of acting like a baby and is very un-presidential. Putin has schooled him numerous times this year on things like Snowden, Syria, Ukraine etc and Obama's big idea is to act like a high school girl having an argument and send a troupe of gays to a country where homosexuality isn't even illegal.

Its just nothing but pandering to the far left to try to retain "cred" after they worked them up with propaganda.

Most countries in the world do not agree with United States and Western Europes pro homosexual laws. Do they insult the country. Do they snub them. Of course not. If it was in the USA right now either Putin or Medledev would go.

This president has a history of acting like a baby and is very un-presidential. Putin has schooled him numerous times this year on things like Snowden, Syria, Ukraine etc and Obama's big idea is to act like a high school girl having an argument and send a troupe of gays to a country where homosexuality isn't even illegal.

Its just nothing but pandering to the far left to try to retain "cred" after they worked them up with propaganda.

Most countries in the world do not agree with United States and Western Europes pro homosexual laws. Do they insult the country. Do they snub them. Of course not. If it was in the USA right now either Putin or Medledev would go.

Are you being serious? Or just trollin'?

What the hell did I just read???

What the hell did I just read???

I can understand your point of view that this is un-presidential. I can kind of see why some people would rather he went there.

However, the idea that this is pandering to the "far left" (presumably you mean communists?) is hilarious. Gay rights are becoming mainstream even within your own country. The pace at which many states have introduced gay marriage even in the last two years show this, and it's great to see this progress being made.

Russia is using homosexuals as scapegoats, increasing tensions and deliberately making the work of LGBT chairities impossibe. Whilst you're right that it's not illegal there, it's CERTAINLY going backwards in a big way. The Russian government is encouraing this scapegoating with their actions - and people's actions don't have to be illegal for the state to treat them like crap, so the fact that homosexuality is legal in Russia is neither here nor there (was being Jewish illegal in early 20thC Europe?).

Lastly, you're almost certainly right that most countries do not agree with 'pro-homosexual' (what I prefer to call 'equality') laws. Then again, most countries don't have stable democracies either, most countries have had local wars within living memory, most countries struggle to feed their populations adequately or have any kind of social safety net. It's funny (well, not really) how American neo-cons are happy to violently impose democracy on certain states (the results of which still aren't clear), but when it comes to the issue of equal rights for homosexuals suddenly cultural relativism is the most important factor and, oh dear, we musn't upset people must we?!

If you think what your centre-right President is doing is un-presidential, that's fair enough. The rest of your posts reeks of something more sinister, however. Still, it's nice that after decades of fighting the American 'Christian' right and Russia have finally found something to bond over.

Archived