U.S. to Boycott Sochi?

Soaring

that's all fine, but obviously

Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race,
religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic
Movement.

is not a "fundamental principle of olympism." the IOC/baron may argue that gay athletes and spectators are not forbidden from attending, which they technically aren't but they certainly are not being made to feel welcome if the polls and quotes from local politicians are to be believed. and of course that argument conveniently ignores the obvious fact that all olympic hosts should be held to the principles of olympism or, as baron might put it, "U shldnt HOST, OK???."

i only wish the NYT had bothered to get a quote from someone asking why the IOC should bend over backward to accommodate rule 50 of its charter and all but disregard principle 6.

and returning to that NYT article for a minute, what exactly are all the US sponsors, who Gerhard Heiberg speaks for so definitively, afraid of exactly? becoming the next stoli? most have decent enough records when it comes to gay rights and fewer perceived ties to russia. perhaps they see this as a stumbling block to their entrance into an emerging market, but their bread and butter markets, like the US, should still be top priority. if this controversy overshadows the games, there is certainly a valid enough reason for that, and sponsors should take notice.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy crap. I can't believe you just conflated being gay with being Charles Manson. With that attitude, your lake of sympathy makes more sense. But you are still being a giant dick.

The whole problem is your comment about "making trouble". Russia has essentially defined "being gay" with causing trouble. Gay athletes should have to worry about spending time in a Russian jail for normal everyday thinks like holding hands with or thanking their spouse.

What do I want the IOC to do? Get the Russia to provide iron-clad promises that gay athlets and spectators can be gay in Russia with no fear of Russian jail. If Russia can't/won't do that, cancel the damn games. I know some people might think that extreme... but you simply can't host an Olympics where people fear for their freedom.

If u are so unhappy about the situation, then don't watch it or why not go over and maybe drape the cauldron with the Rainbow flag? And tweet us from the Sochi calaboose and talk about your experience. :lol: sheesh...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.. don't they usually hand out all the free condoms you can get your hands on at the Olympic village? Seems to me if they're essentially encouraging people to have sex, who's to say which athletes can or can't flaunt their sexuality come Games time.

They are not encouraging people to have sex. They are encouraging people to have SAFE sex. ;)

You really want me to present the (more recent) evidence?

I'm fast reaching the end of my tolerance in not reporting comments like those.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for you to explain the fine points of distinction between your right to criticise US or UK policy, and my (non) right to criticise Russian policy in your opinion.

lol. I was not surprised by the fascist edits. It's common from those like you.

And you have all the right to criticize anything you want. I said it and I'll repeat: the only minority the matters is the INDIVIDUAL. So based on that simple logic: Any athlete can boycott the games if they want. More power to those that want to something even if they are wrong. Just don't force it on the majority of athletes that couldn't care less about what Russian society/legislators feel about same gender sex.

Please get it now, I'm not willing to keep explaining this to you.

And you have all the right to criticize anything you want. I said it and I'll repeat: the only minority the matters is the INDIVIDUAL. So based on that simple logic: Any athlete can boycott the games if they want. More power to those that want to something even if they are wrong. Just don't force it on the majority of athletes that couldn't care less about what Russian society/legislators feel about same gender sex.

Please get it now, I'm not willing to keep explaining this to you.

And I'm getting tired of explaining to you, but I've said and I'll repeat: the question of boycotting Sochi has been pretty well dismissed and rejected by all quarters. So nobody's going to be forcing a protest on the majority of athletes. Understand that?

Back to my objections with your posts - you say you don't agree with the Russian laws, but what seems to outrage you more is that any gay people would dare complain about them or campaign against them. And that comes up in most gay issues you've posted on over the years here - your anger is more at the effrontery of any gay person complaining about injustices, rather than the injustices themselves.

Fine. I thought that discussion was pacified until I rejoined the thread and saw what I saw. If there's no boycott, I'm fine. Any individual that wants to protest and doesn't have ill intentions will have my support because I do believe the law is stupid. But I also believe that there's no superior culture. Some cultures can accept homosexuality, others wont. And that's simply a different culture. Unfortunately, based on what I know - and I may be wrong - the acts against homosexuals are stupid and simply built on sheer ignorance. It makes me sick.

So we gotta try to educate the ignorant people so they wont have anymore the majority to pass such stupid law - IMHO, I repeat. OTOH, destroying the dreams of thousand of athletes wont accomplish anything...

Once we all realize that there's no superior culture, that the world isn't black and white, then everyone would let everyone be themselves. Including let homosexuals do whatever they want. If the "superior" people of the US knew this, they wouldn't arm Osama that latter would turn against themselves that even later would make US president start an criminal war based on false prerogatives killing thousand of innocent people and making people from that part of the globe to haunt America for the rest of their existences.

The solution for intolerance, hatred, prejudice, etc, is better education. Fortunately, ignorance isn't bliss.

btw, Mr. Catra, my idol, as you can see, is a famous Ghetto singer in Danny's hometown that sing songs degrading womans, as feminists would say. He's a black converted-jew that have 3 wifes and 27 children, IIRC. Born rich but decided to live in the Favelas. No, I'm not joking. And people would thing such a 'macho dude' would hate homos', but quite the contrary. the other day he made quite a great speech against a homophobic Brazilian congressman. I'm like him. I suffered discrimination my whole life. So don't call me homophobic because that pisses me off.

Fine. I thought that discussion was pacified until I rejoined the thread and saw what I saw. If there's no boycott, I'm fine. Any individual that wants to protest and doesn't have ill intentions will have my support because I do believe the law is stupid. But I also believe that there's no superior culture. Some cultures can accept homosexuality, others wont. And that's simply a different culture. Unfortunately, based on what I know - and I may be wrong - the acts against homosexuals are stupid and simply built on sheer ignorance. It makes me sick.

So we gotta try to educate the ignorant people so they wont have anymore the majority to pass such stupid law - IMHO, I repeat. OTOH, destroying the dreams of thousand of athletes wont accomplish anything...

Once we all realize that there's no superior culture, that the world isn't black and white, then everyone would let everyone be themselves. Including let homosexuals do whatever they want. If the "superior" people of the US knew this, they wouldn't arm Osama that latter would turn against themselves that even later would make US president start an criminal war based on false prerogatives killing thousand of innocent people and making people from that part of the globe to haunt America for the rest of their existences.

The solution for intolerance, hatred, prejudice, etc, is better education. Fortunately, ignorance isn't bliss.

btw, Mr. Catra, my idol, as you can see, is a famous Ghetto singer in Danny's hometown that sing songs degrading womans, as feminists would say. He's a black converted-jew that have 3 wifes and 27 children, IIRC. Born rich but decided to live in the Favelas. No, I'm not joking. And people would thing such a 'macho dude' would hate homos', but quite the contrary. the other day he made quite a great speech against a homophobic Brazilian congressman. I'm like him. I suffered discrimination my whole life. So don't call me homophobic because that pisses me off.

Most hilarious post since I've been here...Happy to see these forums have their share of entertainment.

What do I want the IOC to do? Get the Russia to provide iron-clad promises that gay athlets and spectators can be gay in Russia with no fear of Russian jail. If Russia can't/won't do that, cancel the damn games. I know some people might think that extreme... but you simply can't host an Olympics where people fear for their freedom.

That won't happen -Unfair yes, but realistic no-. This is exactly the same with other big organizations like the UN -Hence, not a proper declaration of protection of LGTB rights at this moment-. We have different points of human rights around the world and unfortunally in that sense the LGBT rights are still lights away of the primal agenda.

The most realistic point is Baron's proposition.

I'd approve such thing. If any countries' laws conflicted with IOC's "constitutional" principles, then IOC would be forced to not host any event on such a country or the host country would need to declare a 'quarantine' on which period the law afore mentioned wouldn't be valid.

That'd a correct measure that wouldn't hurt any athlete individually and also embarrass the Leader amongst its people, also create debates about the law.

But that would not ever happen because IOC is a corrupt organization that only cares about DA CHEDDAR, as US' rappers would say.

I'd approve such thing. If any countries' laws conflicted with IOC's "constitutional" principles, then IOC would be forced to not host any event on such a country or the host country would need to declare a 'quarantine' on which period the law afore mentioned wouldn't be valid.

That'd a correct measure that wouldn't hurt any athlete individually and also embarrass the Leader amongst its people, also create debates about the law.

But that would not ever happen because IOC is a corrupt organization that only cares about DA CHEDDAR, as US' rappers would say.

No one says chedda

*chedder

Excuse me kind Sir but I believe I'm correct here. I studied a bit about afro-americans musical expressions, more precisely the altercations between west and east side and I remember quite well that they like their Cheddar very much.

From memory I can cite B.I.G. Smalls, Tupac, Lil' Ceaser, etc, mentioning "Cheddar" all the time, but many others do. Just google it.

Excuse me kind Sir but I believe I'm correct here. I studied a bit about afro-americans musical expressions, more precisely the altercations between west and east side and I remember quite well that they like their Cheddar very much.

From memory I can cite B.I.G. Smalls, Tupac, Lil' Ceaser, etc, mentioning "Cheddar" all the time, but many others do. Just google it.

Ahhhh that's 90s rap.

IOC dismisses Sochi Games gay law concerns

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has said a Russian law banning "homosexual propaganda among minors" does not breach the Olympic charter.

Jean-Claude Killy, chairman of the IOC's Co-ordination Commission, said the IOC did not have the right to discuss the host country's laws.

He spoke on a visit Sochi in Russia, which he said was on schedule for a "fabulous" Games in February.

Rights campaigners said the IOC "had abandoned the gay community".

Russia, as Winter Olympic host, has come under criticism over the legislation - passed in June - which forbids "propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations among minors". Gay athletes and visitors to the games have voiced concern that the laws may be used against them.

The Kremlin says the law is aimed at protecting children and does not infringe on the rights of homosexuals.

"If this law doesn't violate the IOC's charter, then the charter is completely meaningless," Chad Griffin of advocacy group Human Rights Campaign said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24288074#TWEET902532

Anyone who gets updates from the Official Olympics page on their Facebook newsfeeds will know how much of a PR disaster this is turning into for the IOC. Virtually every comment posted under their Sochi updates is negative...

https://www.facebook.com/olympics

They sure are copping it. And deservedly so, it is their own product, after all.

I've mentioned it before, but it is somewhat a shame that these issues in Russia didn't become such big news until well after the London Olympics. Would have been nice to see half of Soho rip shreds off Sochi House.

Archived