U.S. to Boycott Sochi?

Soaring

Also, 1. the Duma acts independently of outside considerations (what will the outside world think etc., etc.?)

2. .it was a dare to the outside world as to "who will blink first?" timed to the upcoming int'l events; and

3. it pretty much says to the coming outspoken, int'l visitors...check your views and opinions at the gate.

How Cold War of them.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pole vault world champion Yelena Isinbayeva of Russia condemns homosexuality, criticizes competitors for rainbow nails. Apparently she is slated to become the mayor of the Olympic Village in Sochi.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/08/15/pole-vault-world-champion-yelena-isinbayeva-condemns-homosexuality-criticizes-competitors-for-rainbow-nails/

Oh Yelena, I used to like you.

So I guess she'll be striding round the village with nail polish remover at ready.

I wonder how the homophobe Yelena Isinbayeva can stay mayor of the Olympic Village in Sochi.

Furthermore she is ambassador for the Olympic Youth Games - how can she be an ambassador when she doesn't agree to the Olympic Charta.

She is a miscast and the IOC should withdraw her these two positions immediately.

The next month, particularly the Session in Buenos Aires, will prove how strong/weak the IOC really are. What action, if any they will take on Miss Isinbayeva's ambassadorial roles within the movement will be one. Another will be when they elect new IOC Members, if they decide to elect all nine candidates to the current nine vacancies - including Alexander Zhukov, the Russian Olympic Committee President and Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation. If they persist with that, words will fail me...

It's one thing to not take a stance on whether or not the zebra should be protected. It's another to invite the lion into your garden...

The next month, particularly the Session in Buenos Aires, will prove how strong/weak the IOC really are. What action, if any they will take on Miss Isinbayeva's ambassadorial roles within the movement will be one. Another will be when they elect new IOC Members, if they decide to elect all nine candidates to the current nine vacancies - including Alexander Zhukov, the Russian Olympic Committee President and Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation. If they persist with that, words will fail me...

It's one thing to not take a stance on whether or not the zebra should be protected. It's another to invite the lion into your garden...

I agree - if the members IOC elects Alexander Zhukov it will be a proof that the IOC doesn't stick to its own charta

I think the IOC is aware that the homophobe legislation of Russia will become a huge problem for a successful Sochi 2014, therefore its trying to calm down the protests with statements...

By the way there was an official Olympic pin in London (which you could buy in the official Merchandising Shops) showing the Rainbow Flag - I wonder what will happen when somebody wears this pin or what will happen when there are demonstrations during Sochi - the IOC is in a very difficult situation and it should think about to give Olympic Games to countries, which doesn't protect its minorities, in future...

With this laws Russia opened a box of pandora - homosexuality isn't illegal in Russia (so far), but right wing, russian orthodoxs etc. etc. feel that they can attack gays in public without any prosecution - that is not acceptable - and it really reminds on the 30s in Nazi Germany...

What constitutes promoting gay propaganda anyway?

Has the Russian government made that clear in any way at all?

The law is quite vague - is it "propaganda", when two gays walk hand in hand, a pride parade, a demonstration about LGBT-rights or wearing a rainbow flag? In the law there is no definition - therefore every gay can be charged or imprisoned, when he/she shows that he/she is gay in public in any which way...

I strongly applaud Russia's democratically elected government for standing for what the majority of its people want despite all the pressure from external groups.

I also disagree with such law. It's stupid in my insignificant opinion, I could be wrong, tho. Unlike other humans here I do not hold the illusion that just because I believe in something it makes it correct, fair, etc. Anyways, based on my personal opinion I hope sooner rather than later the Russians will revise such law.

Anyways, the smallest and most important minority and the only minority that needs protection is the INDIVIDUAL. If gay athletes want to boycott the event? Fucking do it. If you want to boycott the event? Don't watch it. If you want to write letters to company saying you'll boycott their products if they still sponsor the Socchi 2014, then fucking do it!

But don't try to force it on others.You're not superior, you're not special, you're not inferior, also. You just like to have sex with people from the same gender as yours. That's fucking it. I'm not sure this is a genetic mutation, a disease, a psychological disease, or just the unconscious or conscious choice you made at some point of your life. Or whatever you think it is. But I don't care. Nobody should care. That's where Russians go wrong, IMHO. I'm a S&M practitioner and I would probably hide my sexual preferences if I was in an intolerant country but I also wouldn't want to stop others from going to take place in a sportive event just because such a country have laws against my sexual preferences.

Gay people deny this all the time but they really like to pretend they are special. You are a insignificant human being living on a rock that's floating on the Space just like me. Live your fucking life the best you can while also trying the best you can to not hurt others. That should be everyone's motto.

The majority of the athletes wants to take place in the Olympics and you should not take this from them just to help your cause.

Btw, US inflicts damages to individual rights all over the world, that's way more problematic than what the russians do in their own country.

Sooner US and Big corporations will control what we do and not do. The futuristic movies where big corps own peoples lifes are becoming more and more reality and nobody does nothing to stop it.

That's way more important than that.It affects everyone everywhere indiscriminately. Let's all boycott US-based competitions? lol Sure we'll.

US have a War criminal that was responsible for the deaths of millions of people in an illegal and immoral War and nobody does nothing to take him to an international court and give him a fair judgment.

But the Big Corporations will never support a campaign to bring a fomer US president and IMHO a War Criminal to justice but Puttin? Ohh. Putin is the devil, he hates gays, he's satan himself!

Media corporations want to portrait Putin as the modern day Hittler but a texan that caused the death of millions of peoples and brought instability to dozens of countries, ah, no. Let's just portrait him as a funny/charismatic leader.

my Point? As I said, I disagree with that law, but russians are the ones who write their own laws. If they don't want gay in their country, then don't go there. It's not russians' problems that IOC gave them the Olympics.

I agree - if the members IOC elects Alexander Zhukov it will be a proof that the IOC doesn't stick to its own charta

I think the IOC is aware that the homophobe legislation of Russia will become a huge problem for a successful Sochi 2014, therefore its trying to calm down the protests with statements...

By the way there was an official Olympic pin in London (which you could buy in the official Merchandising Shops) showing the Rainbow Flag - I wonder what will happen when somebody wears this pin or what will happen when there are demonstrations during Sochi - the IOC is in a very difficult situation and it should think about to give Olympic Games to countries, which doesn't protect its minorities, in future...

With this laws Russia opened a box of pandora - homosexuality isn't illegal in Russia (so far), but right wing, russian orthodoxs etc. etc. feel that they can attack gays in public without any prosecution - that is not acceptable - and it really reminds on the 30s in Nazi Germany...

Just to point out roughly 55 IOC members are from countries that are not gay-friendly/predominately religious/conservative/tradionalist nations. That is already over half the members of the IOC where they are more likely to be against LGBT rights than in favour. Obviously some of them might be more progressive compared the majority of their countryman, but you have to also take into account that people from countries like Italy, Finland, France or the USA are from 'gay-friendly' countries but might hold tradionalist views. So is it a reflection of the IOC? or the world at large? Look at the UN, I could stake a lot on it being currently impossible to pass a resolution at the UN (the full UN in NYC, not the human rights council in Geneva) in support of LGBT rights.

Promotion of Homosexuality Similar to Drugs, Alcohol - Russian Minister

Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko said Sunday the country's controversial anti-gay legislation is for the protection of its young generation

"We want to protect our young generation, whose psyche has not been formed," Mutko said at Luzhniki Stadium on the last day of the championships, which began August 10. "We want to protect them against the propaganda of drunkenness, drugs and non-traditional sexual relations. When they grow up and become adults, they have to define what they want for themselves."

http://en.rian.ru/sports/20130818/182833846/Promotion-of-Homosexuality-Similar-to-Drugs-Alcohol---Russian.html

It is funny that with every statement by a Russian official the situation becomes worse - I was always aware that the Russian society has problems with homosexuals and I don't have a problem to keep my sexuality for my own, but the Russian authorities/government outlawed every gay person in Russia and don't prosecute nationalists or religous activists, who attack gay people on the street/or in the flats...

I really wonder what the IOC will do when somebody wears the official rainbow/London2012 badge/pin in Sochi...

I strongly applaud Russia's democratically elected government for standing for what the majority of its people want despite all the pressure from external groups.

I also disagree with such law. It's stupid in my insignificant opinion, I could be wrong, tho. Unlike other humans here I do not hold the illusion that just because I believe in something it makes it correct, fair, etc. Anyways, based on my personal opinion I hope sooner rather than later the Russians will revise such law.

Anyways, the smallest and most important minority and the only minority that needs protection is the INDIVIDUAL. If gay athletes want to boycott the event? Fucking do it. If you want to boycott the event? Don't watch it. If you want to write letters to company saying you'll boycott their products if they still sponsor the Socchi 2014, then fucking do it!

But don't try to force it on others.You're not superior, you're not special, you're not inferior, also. You just like to have sex with people from the same gender as yours. That's fucking it. I'm not sure this is a genetic mutation, a disease, a psychological disease, or just the unconscious or conscious choice you made at some point of your life. Or whatever you think it is. But I don't care. Nobody should care. That's where Russians go wrong, IMHO. I'm a S&M practitioner and I would probably hide my sexual preferences if I was in an intolerant country but I also wouldn't want to stop others from going to take place in a sportive event just because such a country have laws against my sexual preferences.

Gay people deny this all the time but they really like to pretend they are special. You are a insignificant human being living on a rock that's floating on the Space just like me. Live your fucking life the best you can while also trying the best you can to not hurt others. That should be everyone's motto.

The majority of the athletes wants to take place in the Olympics and you should not take this from them just to help your cause.

You truly are an idiot.

I trust other Brazilians don't think like you do.

Jeez it seems to annoy you whenever anybody speaks up against an injustice. Anybody makes a statement here in a thread against something that they don't think is fair, and your reaction is to tell them to shut up, put up and don't try to change things and learn to live with it.

I happen to live in a society where I'm lucky that my sexuality is generally accepted, and my right to live my life without fear of vilification or official oppression is guaranteed by law. It's not perfect – It'd be nice if I could marry in my own country, and there's always bigots who want to restrict my ability to enjoy rights all my other fellow citizens enjoy, but it's a hell of a lot better than 30 or 40 years ago where I would have been forced to live in fear of exposure, attack or worse. And that only happened because all those decades ago, and in the time since, people have been angry enough to say 'enough's enough” and fight for fairness, point out injustice, and make people uncomfortable by forcing them to confront that there's people who are different. Just as (and I know you hate the comparison, but it's still more applicable than your mentioning of your S&M proclivities) we now have a black American in the White House, all because in the middle of last century some people were angry enough to refuse to “sit at the back of the bus” and fight for equal rights for a minority that was being denied equality and change majority attitudes that most would now agree were just so very very misguided, ignorant and wrong.

You, after first applauding Russia's enacting the laws, then go on to they are stupid and you disagree with them. But then you go on to deny or ridicule the right to anyone to protest against them (and, considering Russia laws make it illegal for anybody to protest against them it's really only the types of us in the West who can try to act on their behalf). If they are so stupid and you hope they will be revised, the only way that will happen is if people campaign against them, expose the bigotry behind those who would propose and enforce them, and slowly educate the majority in the country about their unfairness. It'll probably take a long time, and many people are impatient, but it will only happen if people stand up and make clear that they think what Russia is doing is just plain wrong. And if you follow the issue and look through the thread, you'll see that most people have very strongly said they'd oppose a boycott (though it's understandable that some people are outraged enough to suggest it) but think other actions should be taken to force Russia to confront their actions. And, yes, people ARE trying to boycott products and write letters to games sponsors to try and get them to put pressure on the IOC and Russia. And ensuring the issue gets coverage in the media around the world without depriving athletes their right to compete.

Finally, your mention of your S&M preference whenever gay rights gets mentioned on the board is just irrelevant. Even without getting into a debate about whether sexuality is something we are born with or “a genetic mutation, a disease, a psychological disease”, it's not the case to my knowledge, that S&M preference is something where your citizen rights are restricted anywhere in the world, or which you could face prison, or even death, for advocating it. Gay rights campaigners aren't campaigning around the world for the right to enjoy arse-sex in public (just as heteros and S&M fans aren't trying to win a right to hold orgies in public places). It's all about what you engage in, consensually and without harming another, in the privacy or your home should have no bearing on how you're treated in wider society. What they are fighting for is just the right to enjoy the same freedoms and rights as their fellow citizens without fear of harassment, and to try and stand up for those in other countries who not only don't have those rights, but are being persecuted for who they are.

Of course barely any athletes will boycott the olympics. Why? Because it's the largest sporting event in the world and onl occurs every 4 ears and some may not be lucky enough to go to an olympic games twice so throwing away your chance at a medal would be stupid.

However, the world should not be letting this go on in Russia. Yes there is 50+ other countries that condemn homosexuality however none of those are hosting the biggest sporting event in the world (besides Qatar with FIFA). Would it be better if the 2014 games is moved to a previous host like Stephen Fry said? Possibly. But this is wrong to restrict the rights of human beings.

Just had a flashback as to the first time I saw two men kiss each other, It was one of the figure skating medal ceremonies at Lake Placid and the guys were Soviets. How ironic is that? Of course it was just those peck on the cheek type kisses but it was a kiss all the same.

Just had a flashback as to the first time I saw two men kiss each other, It was one of the figure skating medal ceremonies at Lake Placid and the guys were Soviets. How ironic is that? Of course it was just those peck on the cheek type kisses but it was a kiss all the same.

That is normal for Europeans.

Archived