Ashes 2013...Cricket, England v Australia..the real reason for Test Cricket!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering the controversial umpiring in this series...Trust them to have the final say and ruin England's chance for a victory in the final test...

Still a BIG CONGRATULATIONS to England cleaning up this Ashes Series...a good morning for me with Team NZ winning the LV Cup as well...Oh and the All Blacks beating Australia in Wellington on Saturday night too.

As much as I was furious when they called it off (mainly because I'd backed England to win), I can't blame the umpires for this one. The fault lies solely with the ICC for introducing such a stupid bad light regulation. If anything, under the law as it is, the umpires probably stayed out there for longer than they should have done.

Whatever the truth, this has to be the catalyst for the "bad light" issue to be tackled once and for all. Too many times in this series, the umpires have taken the players off for apparent bad light when there has been no obvious reason to do so. One particularly stands out for me from the Durham game when the players were taken off as a dark cloud passed over the ground and came back out again when the cloud has passed. Even more ridiculously, those of us who were there had seen Jonny Bairstow hook Ryan Harris comfortably for four in the over before they were taken off, thus showing there was no issue of danger to the batsmen. The question has to be, as Andy Flower suggested today, one of the fairness of the contest between bat and ball. I'm not convinced we can go back to the days of offering the light to the batsmen, but that is a better solution than what we have now.

IMO, every ground should have a set reading, set through testing, at the point where play becomes dangerous when facing a medium bowler. That reading would be known to everyone before any match, & they would only come off once the light meter reached that ground's reading, never at any other time. I can't remember where I first read this idea, but it struck me as being totally sensible.

Don't party to hard England...

Controversy surrounds the err...after match antics of the team which involves urinating on the Oval pitch. Also there are calls to change back to the old rule surrounding the low light conditions.

Wont matter much in November when the return Ashes series starts in Australia, they will be in Summer daylight saving time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived