Ashes 2013...Cricket, England v Australia..the real reason for Test Cricket!

:mellow: Arwebb!!...You should've had this up by now!

A low scoring first test so far, England still with the upper hand into it's second innings having just past it's deficitt after Australia's 11th batsman, Ashton Agar, fought back with a spectacular 98 saving the visitors from an embarrassing first innings total. The kid is 19 and in his first test. Hasn't even taken a wicket yet.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:) England has won the first Ashes Test by a tantalizingly close 14 runs after bowling out Australia with a video replay decision.

Second Test begins Wednesday.

:mellow: Arwebb!!...You should've had this up by now!

A low scoring first test so far, England still with the upper hand into it's second innings having just past it's deficitt after Australia's 11th batsman, Ashton Agar, fought back with a spectacular 98 saving the visitors from an embarrassing first innings total. The kid is 19 and in his first test. Hasn't even taken a wicket yet.

Unfortunately I have been rather detained of late by a) extensive work commitments and B) cooking slowly at Trent Bridge on Saturday. I've escaped to Scotland to recover from the stress.

Seriously, though, it was a wonderful Test match and hopefully it will have shut up those people who expected this series to be a walkover for England. Writing off Australia at cricket is as stupid as writing off Germany at football. You do it at your peril.

The other real positive for me is the number of Australian supporters who have come over for this series. There were estimates that up to a quarter of a 17,000 sell-out at Trent Bridge on Saturday were Aussies and that added hugely to the atmosphere inside the ground. Hopefully they will continue to do so for the rest of the series. Bring on Lord's on Thursday.

:) Ashes is the only reason why Test Cricket exists...There are only, really, four teams that can play it properly.

If you're not including New Zealand in that number, I'd say it's only a matter of time before you are. Improving side.

Unfortunately I have been rather detained of late by a) extensive work commitments and B) cooking slowly at Trent Bridge on Saturday. I've escaped to Scotland to recover from the stress.

Seriously, though, it was a wonderful Test match and hopefully it will have shut up those people who expected this series to be a walkover for England. Writing off Australia at cricket is as stupid as writing off Germany at football. You do it at your peril.

The other real positive for me is the number of Australian supporters who have come over for this series. There were estimates that up to a quarter of a 17,000 sell-out at Trent Bridge on Saturday were Aussies and that added hugely to the atmosphere inside the ground. Hopefully they will continue to do so for the rest of the series. Bring on Lord's on Thursday.

If you're not including New Zealand in that number, I'd say it's only a matter of time before you are. Improving side.

:D AHHH there you are...

That was a bloody good test!!! Albeit with few umpiring feux pas.

Good weather helps and it's always great when the away team ex-pat and tour fans show up.

As I mentioned...Ashes is the only Test Series worth watching along with India and South Africa.

As proven last month...New Zealand just doesn't have the depth and discipline to maintain control in the Test arena...Good at the short game though...But for most of us here in NZ, every time the team topples over on the cusp of a Test victory, we are left feeling hollow and winning the short games doesn't fix it. We don't even mind if they win just one test match in a series away from home, especially against the Top Four...but alas it's rare... :(

...Anyways, I'll still keep watching and listening to the Ashes Tests as the end of play at the end of day means we are zipping across to San Francisco for an America's Cup race!

Plenty of promise in the New Zealand team at the moment. Might be two or three years before we see them at their peak, but I reckon they've got enough about them to rival Stephen Fleming's team of the early 2000s.

Does anyone else here think that the umpiring/DRS this series is EXTREMELY suspicious? Imagine England were Pakistan, the investigations into potential fixing would have already started. Australia have had far too many decisions go against them for there to not be something going on. Any other theories?

Another topsey-turvey day, Eng 361, Aus all out 128 but England didn't enforce the follow on at 19 for 1 last time I checked. Australia simply doesn't use the DRS system...Would have saved them the continuing humiliation.

England were never likely to enforce the follow-on. With so much time left in the game and the weather still set fair with only a slight risk of showers on Monday, there was no need to do so and risk batting last on a pitch that is now starting to show signs of uneven bounce.

Delighted that Joe Root scored his first hundred as a Test opener today, even though I wasn't convinced by the decision to leave Nick Compton out of the side.

Brisbane Times

Cricket Germany has offered to replace England as Australia's opponents. The Deutscher Cricket Bund tweeted the following, thus proving that Germans have a sense of humour after all and that Australia have exposed themselves to ridicule.

Cricket Germany @Cricket_Germany

#Ashes #ReturnTheUrn” slightly optimistic with that hashtag chaps. If you fancy a competitive game we are only an hours flight from London

Sigh!

Think they were in Division 7 of the World Cricket League last time I read anything about them. Funny, though.

Another blow for Australia tonight with the news that James Pattinson will miss the rest of the tour with a stress fracture.

Archived