Situation in Egypt good or bad for Istanbul 2020?

cant compare those 2 countries and governments.

Turkey has a democracy for nearly 200 hundred years since ottoman period ( and whom may not know ottoman parliament is the first most diverse and culturally different one in the world)

erdogan is not islamist as we saw from outside but a businessman mostly and the most cunning Parliamenter in Ankara now. Power addcited Like saruman:) he wants to be the president so he divide people into 2 whom they gonna vote and whom not. he dont have s.t about islamic republic or anothr iran in turkey. already had everything they want to take revenge.

army, justice, police, media is all under his control. he may be a putin but not a mursi certainly.

on the other hand Turkey still stands the only democratic regime in Islamic world and with all those flames in this area, IOC will take the greatest risk ever but the prize will be universal peace, not discovering tomorrow or lightening future but understanding and uniting civilizations and people.

Civil Wars going on in and around Turkey is not good at all for Istanbul Bid and Turkey foreign policy in that region has failed as well, Turkey cracking down on Gay people and Women are not going to help them at all, Istanbul Turkey Olympics Dreams is dead for the next 30 years, The Region is too unstalbe for an Olympics and Paralympics Games.

Erdogan is an Islamist he want to turn Turkey into Iran look on what he is doing right now if you think that Erdogan is not an Islamist then you are living in a dream world.

The Syrian civil war is now going into Turkey and Turkey is on the brink of a civil war too now on what is going on in Turkey.

its never been a civil war here. it was terrible to see people suffering due to police behaves but never been tht much "civil war"

altough it was gay pride previous weekend in istanbul and well its a beautiful and jolly day.

see the pics.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/Default.aspx?pageID=447&GalleryID=1501&gpid=1#2173

i got tired to explain gay life here. we r talking about a country named a gay singer " sun of art " Zeki Müren, and appreciate a transexual singer as the best turkish classical singer Bulent ersoy. ?

erdoğan is preislamist, i never said he is a secular left wing party leader. akp is what u see in christian democrat parties in west. but islamic one. if he want to turn Turkey into a islam country he had a chance for 12 years. just he is dreaming of a new ottoman power turkey. collecting muslim countries under his wings and try to be the leader of suni islam.

im a turk, living here so i think im a bit better informed about my country.Turkey and iran is not like other muslim countries, those 2 has a legacy for imperial past and always independent never ruled but rule others. cant compare the dynamics of other countries and those 2.

Civil Wars going on in and around Turkey is not good at all for Istanbul Bid and Turkey foreign policy in that region has failed as well, Turkey cracking down on Gay people and Women are not going to help them at all, Istanbul Turkey Olympics Dreams is dead for the next 30 years, The Region is too unstalbe for an Olympics and Paralympics Games.

Erdogan is an Islamist he want to turn Turkey into Iran look on what he is doing right now if you think that Erdogan is not an Islamist then you are living in a dream world.

The Syrian civil war is now going into Turkey and Turkey is on the brink of a civil war too now on what is going on in Turkey.

The whole situation not only in Turkey but also in the Middle East/Egypt as well, adding that another developing country, who already has the Olympics on the bag, is facing some of it's worst protests in years, along with a low support for the games, makes me think that the IOC is not going to take risks this time and will pick a "safe" choice instead.

As much as people live in neglect, the sad truth is that all of these events DID harmed Istanbul bid. They still have a chance to win though, although I honestly think even Madrid has more chances at this moment.

I don't think the protests harmed Istanbul chances to host the 2020 Olympics. Several times we have seen how the IOC prefers to take the harder path in certain host cities. Mexico City'68, Moscow'80, Sarajevo'84, Seoul'88, Barcelona'92, Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008 delivered wonderful and unforgettable games. And all of them come from developing countries. Now Rio de Janeiro'16, Sochi'14, Nanjing'14, PyeongChang'18 and Buenos Aires'18 will add greatness to Olympic history. And probably any South African city will do it as well in 2024.

What I'm glad about these unpredictable decisions made by the IOC. After all these "new frontiers" put to work people from the IOC and IPC.

Mexico City'68, Moscow'80, Sarajevo'84, Seoul'88, Barcelona'92, Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008 delivered wonderful and unforgettable games.

That's not the point, and u're viewing history from 20/20 hindsight. None of those cities really had any tremors that we are now seeing from the 2020 candidates when they were being selected. The (small scale, localized) riots in Mexico city happened a few days BEFORE the Games opened. They were quickly quelled. The gov'ts to whom the IOC entrusted the Games (1980, Sarajevo, Seoul, Beijing) were/are very much in control of their societies -- so I don't see your comparison with what is happening. (You, of course forgot Munich 1972 which of course, presented the blackest days in history for the IOC and the modern Olympic Games. But again, that was an unusual aberration.)

What we are seeing NOW and what is going on thru the 100+ IOC voters' minds is: which city/country/society will best put on the Games w/ the least problem for us (the IOC), and which one will be the least imposition on its people? And right now (some 60 days before the vote), Tokyo really presents that safest option. Madrid is probably safe in terms of instability...but Istanbul is still part of a very dicey society AND region where things are FAR from stable. Imposing a super-expensive 2-week sports festival (which does not alleviate poverty or cure sickness, etc.) is really NOT the wisest thing to impose on a society undergoing growing pains. That is how to view it.

Rio de Janeiro'16, Sochi'14, Nanjing'14, PyeongChang'18 and Buenos Aires'18 will add greatness to Olympic history. And probably any South African city will do it as well in 2024

Well, all of that remains to be seen.

The (small scale, localized) riots in Mexico city happened a few days BEFORE the Games opened. They were quickly quelled.

Hmmm. About 10,000 were rioting, and hundreds were killed by the government. And the grievances were related directly to the games. IMO, the Tlatelolco massacre was in many ways worse than what happened in Munich, and one the IOC at the very least turned a blind eye to and never seem to want to mention.

i wonder which coming Olympics will become the first with large scale rioting durring the games?

Hmmm. About 10,000 were rioting, and hundreds were killed by the government. And the grievances were related directly to the games. IMO, the Tlatelolco massacre was in many ways worse than what happened in Munich, and one the IOC at the very least turned a blind eye to and never seem to want to mention.

seems to be swept well under the rug.

Didn't realize it was that big. I thought it was just localized w/in the University belt. (My memory then fails me. ) But it's always those pesky university students. Always wanting to be another LES MIZ!! :lol:

Archived