Repeat Summer Olympic Host Countries

Soaring

Look at Wikipedia: Global cities page. On there, there's a list of cities ranked by Greek letter. If you aren't an alpha city or at the very least a high beta city on that list, you haven't got a chance of a SOG.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because a city can't host the Olympics doesn't mean it's a dump lol. Get off your high horse zekekelso.

Yes, thank you.. I was thinking the same thing. It's all relative how we rate a city. Tulsa and Baton Rouge probably have good qualities in their own right, but if we're going to put them alongside New York or the other big boy cities, then yes they're going to look like tiny backwater towns by comparison, especially if the context is bidding for an Olympics. As gets said here many times.. saying a city is not of Olympic caliber is not an insult. Very few cities meet that expectation and we like to set the bar exceeding high for that on this site.

Why is Detroit ranked as a Beta+, BR's population and economic take in is way higher! Plus they just filled for the largest Municipal Bankruptcy in American History!

Are you sure you're not trolling? Because it's tough to telling from that post. Either you are trolling or you are incredibly stupid. If we're to assume the latter (tough call on that one), could you at least back up those claims with some actual facts?

Detroit population - around 700,000.. metro area is over 4 million

Baton Rouge population - around 229,000.. metro area is just over 800,000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._metropolitan_areas_by_GDP

Detroit - ranked 14th in the nation by GDP

Can't tell you what Baton Rouge is ranked, because they're not in the list.

New York, not surprisingly to everyone else on this board other than you, is of course number 1

Are you sure you're not trolling? Because it's tough to telling from that post. Either you are trolling or you are incredibly stupid. If we're to assume the latter (tough call on that one), could you at least back up those claims with some actual facts?

New York, not surprisingly to everyone else on this board other than you, is of course number 1

No NYC was not surprising, just shocked at their (Detroits) rank. Is there anything wrong with that?

I'm leaning towards incredibly ignorant for BR2028...he really needs to stop replying to these sorts of posts with defensive nonsense, the stupidity is giving me a headache...

I'm sorry I just did not expect Detroit's placement. I understand my cities rank now and I appreciate you guys pointing out where I was thinking incorrectly. I'm sorry if I came across as ignorant.

No NYC was not surprising, just shocked at their (Detroits) rank. Is there anything wrong with that?

Detroit is still America's Motor City. And just as you say, BR is on the rebound, Ford and GM too are bouncing back. (OK, Ford is really in Dearborn...) But through the 40s, the 50s and the 60s, Detroit was always the #4 or #5 city. BR, the #3 city of Japan, Nagoya, is often called the Detroit of Japan because it is home to Japan's auto industry (including Lexus and Mitsubishi Motors). From wiki...

Nagoya's main industry is the automotive business, as many Japanese automotive companies are based out of Nagoya, akin to how many U.S. automakers are based out of Detroit. Toyota's luxury brand Lexus is headquartered in Nagoya. Mitsubishi Motors has R & D division in Okazaki located in a suburb of Nagoya. Many Japanese automotive suppliers such as Denso, Aisin Seiki Co., Toyota Industries, JTEKT or Toyota Boshoku etc. are headquartered in Nagoya or suburbs of Nagoya. Furthermore, major automotive suppliers such as Magna International or PPG also have a presence in Nagoya.

For many years, when AMC was still operating, the Detroit area was home to the Big 4 American car manufacturers. I really don't know why you underestimate a major industrial metropolitan area.

Besides, Atlanta 1996 already took care of having an Olympics for the US South. I doubt that it will return to your region anytime in the next 60 years.

Detroit is still America's Motor City. And just as you say, BR is on the rebound, Ford and GM too are bouncing back. (OK, Ford is really in Dearborn...) But through the 40s, the 50s and the 60s, Detroit was always the #4 or #5 city. BR, the #3 city of Japan, Nagoya, is often called the Detroit of Japan because it is home to Japan's auto industry (including Lexus and Mitsubishi Motors). From wiki...

For many years, when AMC was still operating, the Detroit area was home to the Big 4 American car manufacturers. I really don't know why you underestimate a major industrial metropolitan area.

Besides, Atlanta 1996 already took care of having an Olympics for the US South. I doubt that it will return to your region anytime in the next 60 years.

Thanks for the info :) Also I may sound dumb, but how much is your book for the Kindle?

Thanks for the info :) Also I may sound dumb, but how much is your book for the Kindle?

BR, It's either $8 or $9 on Kindle. (It could also be on sale at a particular time.) While of course, it is more affordable in its eBook format, remember though that the deluxe softcover copy contains over 150 color & b&w photographs while the digital version only has, like 15 photos. This is because of digital file-size limitations. Also, am coming out with an updated 2013-14 edition of the softcover book (including a few pages on the London ceremonies) while there are no plans for an updated version on the digital copy. (Please wait a little, like 3 weeks, before the updated 2013-14 softcover copy becomes available on my site or amazon.) You can PM me if interested in getting a personalized, autographed, no-sales-tax, discounted copy directly from me. Thanks for inquiring. (Or if the $30 or so is still too steep (I didn't set the original softcover pricing; it's based on amazon's cut), you can always ask your local library to purchase it for you.)

BR, It's either $8 or $9 on Kindle. (It could also be on sale at a particular time.) While of course, it is more affordable in its eBook format, remember though that the deluxe softcover copy contains over 150 color & b&w photographs while the digital version only has, like 15 photos. This is because of digital file-size limitations. Also, am coming out with an updated 2013-14 edition of the softcover book (including a few pages on the London ceremonies) while there are no plans for an updated version on the digital copy. (Please wait a little, like 3 weeks, before the updated 2013-14 softcover copy becomes available on my site or amazon.) You can PM me if interested in getting a personalized, autographed, no-sales-tax, discounted copy directly from me. Thanks for inquiring. (Or if the $30 or so is still too steep (I didn't set the original softcover pricing; it's based on amazon's cut), you can always ask your local library to purchase it for you.)

Thats awesome! Thanks for the heads up, I will PM you then.

Those rankings are never totally accurate, but Detroit's relatively high ranking could be a 'hangover' from Detroit's hay days. Fifty years ago, it was the fifth largest city in North America - behind New York, Mexico, Chicago and Los Angeles - and it was even in the position to bid for several Olympic Games in the 1950s and 1960s. Look at some of the old (and sadly now abandoned) buildings in Detroit and you see a city that was once wealthy, prosperous and on the move upward.

That's not the case any more.

But that former prosperity brought the city a certain level of status and things like professional sports teams, international conferences, and the like. The city is also still a busy international border crossing. But the glory days of the 1950s have gone the ways of Nash, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Plymouth and Mercury - and the city is sadly rusted out and up on blocks.

Those rankings are never totally accurate, but Detroit's relatively high ranking could be a 'hangover' from Detroit's hay days. Fifty years ago, it was the fifth largest city in North America - behind New York, Mexico, Chicago and Los Angeles - and it was even in the position to bid for several Olympic Games in the 1950s and 1960s. Look at some of the old (and sadly now abandoned) buildings in Detroit and you see a city that was once wealthy, prosperous and on the move upward.

That's not the case any more.

But that former prosperity brought the city a certain level of status and things like professional sports teams, international conferences, and the like. The city is also still a busy international border crossing. But the glory days of the 1950s have gone the ways of Nash, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Plymouth and Mercury - and the city is sadly rusted out and up on blocks.

When looking at the 1968 bid, it's fantastic! I wonder what would have happened had they hosted the games and if they would be in the dire state it is now.

When looking at the 1968 bid, it's fantastic! I wonder what would have happened had they hosted the games and if they would be in the dire state it is now.

I dont think the Olympics would have made a difference, especially that long ago.

I dont think the Olympics would have made a difference, especially that long ago.

It could have provided more international notice, but I see what you mean. Their Olympic park would probably still be a neglected and run down area.

It's always been a topic of debate whether if the 1968 Olympics would've been good for Detroit, or not have made much difference. Or could have they just speed up the process of Detroit's collapse, with massive debt leftover, similar to what Montreal 1976 experienced.

It's always been a topic of debate whether if the 1968 Olympics would've been good for Detroit, or not have made much difference. Or could have they just speed up the process of Detroit's collapse, with massive debt leftover, similar to what Montreal 1976 experienced.

I think I would have preferred a faster demise than the slow one. I think Reagan could have worked some wonders.

Back to baton Rouge:

Another reason it shouldn't host (we'd have to boycott it otherwise):

Gay men arrested under invalid 'crimes against nature' law in Baton Rouge

AT LEAST 12 gay men have been arrested since 2011 for "crimes against nature" under an obsolete and unenforceable anti-sodomy law.

Undercover sheriff's officers in the US city of Baton Rouge have been conducting sting operations against homosexual men, the Baton Rouge Advocate reports.

The suspects were arrested after agreeing to have consensual sex with the undercover officers. No money ever changed hands and the men didn't agree to have sex in public.

There is an anti-sodomy law on the books in Louisiana, which forbids "unnatural carnal copulation by a human being" and "solicitation by a human being of another with the intent to engage in any unnatural carnal copulation".

But the "crimes against nature" law was struck down by the US Supreme Court in 2003, in a ruling which made sexual activity between members of the same sex legal in every state.

For this reason, District Attorney Hillar Moore has refused to prosecute any of the men arrested in Baton Rouge.

Casey Rayborn Hicks, a spokeswoman for the Sheriff's Office, defended the continued application of the unconstitutional law.

"This is a law that is currently on the Louisiana books, and the sheriff is charged with enforcing the laws passed by our Louisiana Legislature," Ms Hicks said.

"The issue here is not the nature of the relationship but the location," she said. "These are not bars. These are parks. These are family environments."

The most recent arrest came after a 65-year-old man agreed to have sex with an undercover officer after being approached in a park.

But attorneys maintain there is no legal basis for the arrests.

"For the Sheriff's Office to be setting these kinds of sting operations up is a waste of time because they can't prosecute these things," defence lawyer Tommy Damico told the Advocate.

Civil rights attorney Andrea Ritchie was more strident.

"It's really unfortunate that police are continuing to single out, target, falsely arrest and essentially ruin the lives of gay men in Baton rouge who are engaged in no illegal conduct," Ms Ritchie said.

Back to baton Rouge:

They must be REALLY bored down there, perhaps the county needs to trim the Sherriff's budget if they insist on harassing people and arresting them using unconstitutional statutes.

Back to baton Rouge:

They have never prided themselves on their police.

They must be REALLY bored down there, perhaps the county needs to trim the Sherriff's budget if they insist on harassing people and arresting them using unconstitutional statutes.

This does not happen on a regular basis.

Archived