Vancouver Bid Wins! Ten Years Ago Today - July 2, 2003

Kenadian

Can you believe this was ten years ago today?

In Prague, three cities went in. Salzburg exited early, to the surprise of many. And Vancouver overcame PyeongChang's early lead to claim the rights to the XXI Olympic Winter Games.

As a resident of Vancouver, it was pretty much a dream come true. Hard to believe it all came and went...in the blink of an eye.

Well done Canada! If you don't mind me being brash - I'll always see Vancouver 2010 as the Sydney 2000 of the Winter Olympics. It just had that brilliant, beautiful carefree air to it that really translated well here. Australians are fond of BC and i do think it got a much higher degree of exposure here than the OWG usually does.

Vancouver 2010 was a triumph for Canada's Olympic history following the issues of Montreal and disappointing results in Calgary - and while a hurdle for a potential Toronto Olympics next decade, it's also an advantage, as 2010 demonstrates that Canada has some of the most major events capable, attractive cities in the world.

You Canadians really deserved those Winter Olympics. Man, I can't belive it was actually a decade since the announcement! Came after Canada Day, so that was great present. Vancouver is such a beautiful city that it was so perfect for them in the winter. Gave the nation an Olympic fever that made Canadians puff out their chests in pride--and finally their first gold medals as a host! Oh so many memories as an Olympic fan! :D

Definitely one of my favorite Winter Olympics and Olympics in general!

Could Quebec even have achieved such a successful games or even have won if they were the bid put forward by the COC?

idk. Maybe if you design a venue plan for them we can discuss.

I have a great affection for Quebec City and think they would make an absolutely ideal setting for the Olympic Winter Games...but without a proper downhill mountain, they are just never going to be much of a consideration. Given its mild climate, Vancouver is not a true 'winter city' per se, but as a ski resort Whistler is absolutely massive and top notch. Nothing in Quebec comes even close.

idk. Maybe if you design a venue plan for them we can discuss.

It would have probably been the same as the 2002 bid, perhaps with a replacement for the arena in PEPS at the University of Laval, for Ice Hockey II, to allow for the whole complex for sole use by athletes. Alternatively, a new arena (at a modest 10,000-12,000 and nowhere near the major arena they're building now) would serve Short Track and Speed skating, with the Youth Pavilion serving Ice Hockey II.

I'm also certain they would have solved their downhill problem. Perhaps Le Massif would have been increased by that 30 odd meters after regrading to allow for Men's Downhill without a temporary ramp.

It would have probably been the same as the 2002 bid, perhaps with a replacement for the arena in PEPS at the University of Laval, for Ice Hockey II, to allow for the whole complex for sole use by athletes. Alternatively, a new arena (at a modest 10,000-12,000 and nowhere near the major arena they're building now) would serve Short Track and Speed skating, with the Youth Pavilion serving Ice Hockey II.

I'm also certain they would have solved their downhill problem. Perhaps Le Massif would have been increased by that 30 odd meters after regrading to allow for Men's Downhill without a temporary ramp.

The new arena would probably be Ice Hockey I. A Canadian Olympics needs a hockey arena that holds at least 16,000 people, and this will hold 18,000+. Quebec City wants to keep the old Pepsi Coliseum as an alternative venue and to strengthen an Olympic bid. This would probably be the host of figure skating/short track. The real question will be what Quebec does with a stadium. They could propose another stadium on the Plains of Abraham, or an upgrade to Laval's stadium.

The new arena would probably be Ice Hockey I. A Canadian Olympics needs a hockey arena that holds at least 16,000 people, and this will hold 18,000+. Quebec City wants to keep the old Pepsi Coliseum as an alternative venue and to strengthen an Olympic bid. This would probably be the host of figure skating/short track. The real question will be what Quebec does with a stadium. They could propose another stadium on the Plains of Abraham, or an upgrade to Laval's stadium.

Temporary stadium, or could be used for the CFL.

If it was 2010, I wouldn't be surprised if they had gone conservative and just built a reasonably cheap bare bones arena for suitability for use for Figure Skating/Short Track.

But in any future bid, they could go again with Plains of Abraham at 45,000, or alternatively propose that major 45,000 seater stadium they want, and say expand it via temporary ground seating to 50,000+.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived