2020 Evaluation Commission Report

Heres a compliment Tokyos budget is realistic. They arent bullshitting us with a low cost games. Sorry but 12 million gets nowhere near the security needed for the.worlds biggest event. Hundreds of thousands will travel to these games and need security. Most games since Munich and Atlanta and salt lake know this yet Madrid is showing a blatant disregard towards safety. Which is one of the most important things for an Olympics in our world today.

• Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This Tuesday June 25th, the IOC will release the Evaluation Commission Report on the 3 2020 bid cities.... What are you expecting ? Discuss here after the release and your reading ...

It is released now in order to be available for the IOC members during their session next week when they will receive a presentation for the 3 bidders and will have the opportunity to meet them in a p

I think the most decisive will be in which the IOC wants to head to: if it wants "secure" Olympics (in terms of e.g. technical issues and Games without problems before the Olympics) Tokyo is the best

So from your point of view how much money it's necessary? You're writting that only spending billion dollars it's possible organize the Games. You dislike Madrid's bid I understand it because of you would like Tokyo or Istambul bids win at the end. However I think that would be better explain the advantages of your favourite bid instead of criticize Madrid's option looking for disadvatages and doubting about the evaluation commitee report.

I'm not 'criticizing' anything about Madrid that the 2020 Final Evaluation Report didn't question itself. It stated that a security budget of $18 million dollars is "very modest". Apparently you didn't read that part or just conveniently glossed over it. Many lottery jackpots are much larger than that.

And I have pointed out the benefits of the other bids on these forums. But your total desire, blinded by your compete bias for Madrid, only makes you see when you THINK that someone is "criticizing" your favorite bid.

I've stated before on here that I've nothing against Madrid. It's a beautiful city & I'm sure someday they could host wonderful Games. But considering the circumstances, I don't think that 2020 is that time. More like 2032 & beyond. And I'm also not the only one on these boards that shares that sentiment.

Or like I've also said, Spain should focus on a winter bid instead. They'd have more firm basis for a Winter Olympic Games since they've never hosted one of those.

Here, in this foro, you have a very bad concep about Madrid. When the press ask for the security, the Madrid´s team answer was that this budget is only for the new security forces and the extra private police. Madrid have a very good police and Spain have a big army. From 2006 we don´t have terrorist attack in Madrid, a lot of cities in the world can´t say the same. In Madrid we have a lot of big event, like the Olympic Games. When the pope visit Madrid with the young, more that 3 million of people visited Madrid in those days. And now, today, are the Gay Pride, more than one million are in the city now dancing and watching concerts in the city center, and never happened nothing important.
When you use the prince Felipe with the only thing that Madrid bid have now to be some posibility to win, sound like joke... because we are working from the last 12 years for this bid, and all people think that this is a very good bid.
FYI, don´t remember when Chicago, desperate, chose that Obama family were to Denmark? Or the important about Tony Blair in London 2012?
In 2012, the problem was that Paris and London was better. London had less marks in the evaluation...
In 2016 the problem was that Madrid and London are in Europe. But Rio have a lot of problem about security, hotels, etc...
2020, first was the crisis. When the crisis no are a problem, you´re looking for other problems for us... like, now, the security...

I´m sure that in Madrid, around the Olympic games, no will happen nothing important. And an American city can´t say the same... In 92, with the worst moment in spanish terrorists... Barcelona was a great games. And 4 years after, in the biggest country with a a lot of money... the olympic games had a attack...

Heres a compliment Tokyos budget is realistic. They arent bullshitting us with a low cost games. Sorry but 12 million gets nowhere near the security needed for the.worlds biggest event. Hundreds of thousands will travel to these games and need security. Most games since Munich and Atlanta and salt lake know this yet Madrid is showing a blatant disregard towards safety. Which is one of the most important things for an Olympics in our world today.

Please before criticizing Madrid's bid for the Olympics before get better information what you are talking about. Madrid already explained because only reflected in the budget 12 million for security, these are the ones that relate to the payment of private security, because in other areas of security is the Spanish government with the National Police, Civil Guard and the Army responsible for ensuring the security, and the IOC is aware that security is guaranteed, otherwise the IOC would have criticized this aspect in its evaluation report. I think you're not serious in your comments possibly due to the lack of sufficient information on this topic.

In regard to criticism on the bid's low cost Games. Just one question, have you thought about the possible reasons? Let me explain it to you, it's simple the difference between Madrid and the other bids is that in Madrid's case are already built 80% of all sports facilities and all necessary transport infrastructure. In the last ten years, Madrid has invested billions so it isn't necessary invest so many billions as the other bids. Madrid has a project according to their needs and possibilities, and if it's finally chosen to host the 2020 Games it will be because has been considered as the most suitable for this.

• Like 1

otherwise the IOC would have criticized this aspect in its evaluation report.

But they did! Again, the IOC Evaluation Commission cited that $18 Million dollars on security was "VERY MODEST".

How else can one take that other than a "critique". But not surprisingly, you conveniently chose to bypass that particular section.

It's not a question of any lack of faith in Spain's ability to provide adequate security. Of course I'd expect it's military and intelligence and policing would be up to the task. But it's a bit of a cheek to fudge your security budget figures so much so you can pitch your bid as some zero cost or sub-billion dollar games. In 2012, the contract for GS4 alone, the company that was going to do the private security before it defaulted, was about $425 million. Being abit more up-front and honest, rather than try to pass up the whole security budget as a mere $18 million, would have been better for the Madrid bid's credibility.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

I'd say that if Madrid landed the games, surely it's budget would increase significantly, specially if the economic situation in Spain improves, becoming a no-so-low-cost-games. Is that any good for Madrid's credibility? Of course not, but I think that accusing the Spaniards of disregarding the issue of security is, to say the least, inappropriate, specially seeing that have suffered terrorism in an almost everyday basis from ETA and of course they had the bombings in 2004, I don't know, I really don't think that Madrid's people and authorities will have forgotten about this...

Now, don't get me wrong, I am really not very excited about this race, I think it has got as boring as it could get, but I think that the legitimate winner ought to be Istanbul, not having hosted and because a muslim games do actually intrigue me, although any city of the three would deliver some fantastic games

Yes, the IOC pointed out the low contribution on security ($ 19 million). However it seems that you always forget the second part:

"Madrid 2020 ensures that any additional cost to maintain the security of the Games would be covered by the government," the report added. The ‘Ministerio del Interior’ is committed to provide all the security infrastructure, so that if the budget given seems low, it’s because it only includes situations that would not be covered (overtime salary for workers from other parts of the country, for example).

Ohhh it seems that those in here who support Tokyo and Instambul, should start looking for their own arguments, instead of criticizing !Madrid¡

Madrid 2020 ensures that any additional cost to maintain the security of the Games would be covered by the government

Then they should try to estimate what that cost is and put it in their budget, not try to artificially deflate the costs their trying to lobby with and leave themselves open to criticism when, inevitably, they have to announce down the track that the budget has to be raised big time.