2020 Evaluation Commission Report

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This Tuesday June 25th, the IOC will release the Evaluation Commission Report on the 3 2020 bid cities.... What are you expecting ? Discuss here after the release and your reading ...

It is released now in order to be available for the IOC members during their session next week when they will receive a presentation for the 3 bidders and will have the opportunity to meet them in a p

I think the most decisive will be in which the IOC wants to head to: if it wants "secure" Olympics (in terms of e.g. technical issues and Games without problems before the Olympics) Tokyo is the best

I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant that one of the two would pull away after the report's publication, and he's leaning towards that being Tokyo. Madrid will never be "favourites" in this race even if, as expected, they get a good technical report.

I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant that one of the two would pull away after the report's publication, and he's leaning towards that being Tokyo. Madrid will never be "favourites" in this race even if, as expected, they get a good technical report.

Thank you.

Exactly, the idea came from the Istanbul report. If somehow Turkey gets better report, it could pull off a competitive race. If Istanbul came with a low report, well, it almost certain Tokyo will be the winner.

Are you sure it's 25 June ?
it should be 1 month before the voting as the previous races
why they want to publish it more than 2 months before this time ?
they said early July and now 25 June..!

--------------------

anyway the report will clarify if they see Istanbul 2020 as another Rio 2016 ( not the best technical but the best emotional bid )

what they will say about Istanbul master plan and legacy
for Madrid the economic situation and the doping issue
Tokyo as always the best technical report .. they just need enough votes to win in Buenos Aires

Are you sure it's 25 June ?

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) would like to inform all media that the 2020 IOC Evaluation Commission Report will be published on www.olympic.org at 11 a.m. Swiss time on 25 June.

IOC

Ok .. I saw it on the other topic .. strange to publish it now and not one month before the vote as the previous races
anyway good for us ..!
Ok .. I saw it on the other topic .. strange to publish it now and not one month before the vote as the previous races
anyway good for us ..!

It is released now in order to be available for the IOC members during their session next week when they will receive a presentation for the 3 bidders and will have the opportunity to meet them in a private showroom;

• Like 1

Without doubt, Tokyo will be the best bid, technicaly speaking. We all know the best technical bid doesn't always wins, though, so I doubt the reports will say who will win in September.

I think the most decisive will be in which the IOC wants to head to:

if it wants "secure" Olympics (in terms of e.g. technical issues and Games without problems before the Olympics) Tokyo is the best

if it wants to reach new frontiers in a booming market Istanbul is the best

if it wants well organised, traditional Olympics Madrid might be the best

• Like 1

I expect the report will hedge its bets. As usual, it will be a case of reading between the lines. I expect Istanbul's won't mention the protests, but have something like: "Plan presents logistical challenges, but also an opportunity to bridge a new region" or something like that.

I'll be most interested to see how it addresses Madrid, and if it gives the "austerity" plan a thumbs up, or subtly indicates they're not that keen on the notion of a "cheap games for an economic stimulus."

Hmmm. Looks to me like Istanbul was getting a fair few caveats in there, and the transport plan didn't seem to inspire confidence. Definitely a clear third. I think they'd have counted on a bit of a better report.

Madrid seemed to get off pretty well. A bit of a mention of economic risk with Madrid, but they didn't seem too concerned about it affecting games delivery. A few venue niggles. Otherwise I think they got a pretty positive review.

Tokyo was about what you'd expect. Couldn't find many niggles at all, a few concerns about a couple of legacy venues from 64, and mention of a bird sanctuary and work permits.

I'm thinking it's Tokyo's to lose now, with ... Madrid! as a possible dark horse.

Edited by Sir Rols

Yes, it looks like Tokyo and Madrid made out the best from the report. I'm starting to believe Tokyo will win 2020 rather than Istanbul whom I believed was the favourite. The report doesn't even include all the civil unrest that is happening there now. You'd expect that to be factored into the vote now too lessening Istanbul's chances.

Can Madrid pull off a miracle here and challenge Tokyo for the win? ^_^

The report doesn't include the protests in Turkey bcuz all it is, is a technical evaluation of the three bid cities, which was completed well before the unrest started. Otherwise, why aren't Spain's protests from a few months ago in there as well.

Those are geopolitical factors that have nothing to do with a "technical" report. I agree with the last post, Istanbul could still surprise come September. All we can deduce from the report, is what a few of the members that wrote it think. We still have the far majority of IOC members that have yet to weigh in with their votes in Buenos Aires.