2022: A troubling scenario

stryker

Fox obviously have a vested interest in when the World Cup is held, but like gromit said, they're powerless in this one. It's not like the Olympics where NBC pays a large percentage of the TV rights to the IOC. Fox can exert all the pressure they want on FIFA, but it's not going to help them. They're probably going to get screwed and there's little to nothing they can do about it.

Didn't Fox pay $450 million for the rights to the World Cup? I'd be interested to know how that figure compares to the European broadcasters. I agree they're going to get screwed, and I wonder if there's any clause in their contract with FIFA that would allow them to re-negotiate terms in the event of a date switch.

Too bad for fifa they lose north america and some part of europe that dpnt qualify for wc cuz of football and ths wog. Ioc loses the soccer fans elsewhere. Its a lose lose sitiation all because the idiots on fifa voted qatar

Well, they have 9 years from today to slowly tweak the calendar a few days here, a week there, so that hopefully by 2022 it can all scrunch together in some haphazard, over-crowded way that'll satisfy nearly everyone. And then all returns to normal starting January 2023 -- and these int'l organizations will NEVER attempt anything so stupid as double-awarding of sites.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Less than a month before the application deadline and there's one official candidate city - Almaty. Have to wonder if some in the IOC are sweating a bit more as the deadline date draws closer. The referendum in Oslo but there's still no official guarantee that the bid will go forward. No doubt the IOC will be watching the Munich referendums very carefully.

If the deadline for the applicants passed and Almaty was the only candidate, would the IOC vote for Almaty or would they try to find a loophole to extend the application deadline in the hope that another more viable candidate came forward?

I imagine there would be some fairly frantic lobbying from the IOC if only Almaty were to bid. For all we know that might be the case behind the scenes now. I'm sure they are addressing it now rather than waiting until after the deadline and the potential embarrassment that would mean. Munich is out of their hands but I imagine they are keen for Oslo, Stockholm, Krakow and Lviv to formalise their plans.

Ideally, I've said the IOC wants either Oslo and or Munich in the race; Oslo still looks shaky and Munich has a referendum only days before the deadline. For all the talk about how a Thomas Bach presidency would hurt Munich's chances, it seems to be exactly the opposite. In a race where it looks like there could be as few or fewer contenders than 2018, Bach is most likely working behind the scenes to make sure a Munich bid gets through.

Another scenario, although less likely, is neither a Munich or Oslo bid to challenge Almaty, but the joint Poland-Slovakia bid and or a Stockholm bid with Are. In either case, I'm sure the IOC would conveniently overlook the distance issue in the case of Stockholm, or make a one time exception on a joint bid especially if it's marketed as a Krakow bid with only Slovakia used for the alpine events.

I doubt The IOC would've explicitly dissuaded Barcelona if they really believed there was a chance Almaty could be the sole bidder.

I read somewhere that the Krakow bid will be submitted just hours before the deadline, and I'm assuming Munich and likely Oslo will do so as well. If Oslo and Munich don't decide to bid, I'd venture to bet somebody may rush the papers and put in a sloppy last-minute bid or change their minds...

I read somewhere that the Krakow bid will be submitted just hours before the deadline, and I'm assuming Munich and likely Oslo will do so as well. If Oslo and Munich don't decide to bid, I'd venture to bet somebody may rush the papers and put in a sloppy last-minute bid or change their minds...

I think the Olympics have gotten to the point where "sloppy, last-minute bids" are an impossibility. It is more likely that the IOC would extend the deadline.

It remains to be seen whether the IOC it will even accept the Krakow bid due to the location of venues in Slovakia.

I think the Olympics have gotten to the point where "sloppy, last-minute bids" are an impossibility. It is more likely that the IOC would extend the deadline.

It remains to be seen whether the IOC it will even accept the Krakow bid due to the location of venues in Slovakia.

That's true, it would be more likely for them to extend the deadline. That being said, I don't see that happening with Munich and Oslo probably deciding at the last minute.

If for some reason one of the two doesn't bid, or say even both of them, I think the IOC would have no choice but to allow a joint Polish/Slovakian bid, although I already think they will allow it with so few bids being put forward. Then again, you never really know with the IOC...

From what many of the posters say here, though, it will be marketed as a Krakow bid, with one event in Slovakia, as opposed to a joint Krakow-Slovakia bid. Analagous to Salzburg using the sliding facilities across the border in Germany. So not totally out of the question IMO.

From what many of the posters say here, though, it will be marketed as a Krakow bid, with one event in Slovakia, as opposed to a joint Krakow-Slovakia bid. Analagous to Salzburg using the sliding facilities across the border in Germany. So not totally out of the question IMO.

Exactly. It is entirely permitted by the IOC. It might not be considered ideal but nothing against the rules there.

We don't know what is going on behind the scenes in terms of bids and cities in dialogue with the IOC so I wouldn't panic about them extending deadlines quite yet.

Lviv set to officially announce bid for 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympic

October 28 - Lviv are set to announce officially next week that they will bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics with its campaign to be led by Ukraine's Deputy Prime Minister Oleksandr Vilkul.

Lviv City Council have officially voted in favour of the bid and it now just requires the formal approval of the National Olympic Committee of Ukraine at its General Assembly on November 5.

It means Lviv will become the second candidate to confirm that they will bid, following Kazakhstan's largest city Almaty, which declared last month.
full article

If the Swedish government gives Stockholm their full backing, I can see them becoming favourite very quickly, when you look at the support issues of Munich & Oslo, & the geopolitics of Lviv & Almaty. On another note, in the 2018 Commies race, Hambantota popped up without ever being talked about before the deadline. Could something similar happen here, a candidate coming 'out of nowhere'?

Well, Munich and Oslo ran/will run the risk of a pre-bid referendum, which makes the "support issues" more obvious. We don't really know how a referendum result would be in Stockholm at this stage, so this point is a bit unfair to those taking the risk to get approval beforehand.

As for the bunny out of the magic hat: Sri Lanka has no skiing resorts ;-)