2022: A troubling scenario

stryker

I could not begin to predict how future bids might develop. But I do hope Salt Lake stays out of it forever and forever. The 2002 games--or rather the bidding process and initial planning--were plastered with corruption. That is old news. The fact that the games' "success" was supposedly master-minded by the recent Republican candidate for the presidency in 2012 further taint that location with political bias. And in a world where the Olympics claim to support the rights and dignity of all people, to allow a city and state which still uses the death penalty (with three on death row who could actually face a firing squad) and which refuses to even consider marriage equality, is ludicrous. Salt Lake does not deserve another games. There are many, many other locations which can do a better job. If it comes down to a matter of expediency and Salt Lake is merely available, then cancel the games for that cycle because that would be a pathetic decision.

I have no need for more Games in SLC any time soon, but the above post seems quite bizarre to me.

First, SLC was a success.

The bribery was very disturbing, but it was a part of Olympic culture at the time and would not be repeated.

I'm glad Mitt isn't president, but I don't see how his political career tarnishes SLC in any way. That was a total non-sequitur.

Human rights abuses in China, Russia, the Middle East? And we're going to attack SLC because they're one of 37 states that doesn't recognize gay marriage and because they have the death penalty (which I support, btw)? Seriously. This is not a balanced view.

The Olympics are an international sporting event that celebrates diversity. The participants and hosts of the Games have very different histories and cultures. It is ridiculous to expect that all of them would subscribe to the same political views. That will never happen. The IOC drew the line at apartheid, but other issues are murkier areas that would make it more difficult for the IOC to defend and explain their decision to bypass a given country. Of all those places that might be denied hosting the Games on political and/or moral grounds, SLC is nowhere even close to the top of that list for me.

I agree with Trylon. If the United States is happy to underline its growing reputation as the home of reactionary extremism then fine, go with Salt Lake City.

Again, I have no special love for SLC, but I think the labeling here is WILDLY overblown and undeserved.

I could not begin to predict how future bids might develop. But I do hope Salt Lake stays out of it forever and forever. The 2002 games--or rather the bidding process and initial planning--were plastered with corruption. That is old news. The fact that the games' "success" was supposedly master-minded by the recent Republican candidate for the presidency in 2012 further taint that location with political bias. And in a world where the Olympics claim to support the rights and dignity of all people, to allow a city and state which still uses the death penalty (with three on death row who could actually face a firing squad) and which refuses to even consider marriage equality, is ludicrous. Salt Lake does not deserve another games. There are many, many other locations which can do a better job. If it comes down to a matter of expediency and Salt Lake is merely available, then cancel the games for that cycle because that would be a pathetic decision.

Bizarre and reactionary. R u...or your thinking in some sort of time warp?? U r judging past events by unrelated events that occurred afterwards?

Like, yeah, 1936 should never have been given to Germany due to the Nazis...but if u know your history..or placing events in context...the 1936 Games (both of them) were awarded to Germany at the sunset of the Weimar Republic--a few months before the Nazis came to power.

Why should Summer 1956 have been given to Australia when... Ever heard of 20/20 is hindsight??

R u sure u don't have a brain tumor? Oh, y am I even bothering. :rolleyes:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I agree with Trylon. If the United States is happy to underline its growing reputation as the home of reactionary extremism then fine, go with Salt Lake City.

This post is just flat out offensive. What in the world are you talking about? The US is all about freedom and tolerance. We're moving forward, not backwards. I'm not sure you understand the meaning of the word extremism.

So you would rather not have an Olympics than hold them in a state because you're not a fan of their politics? Yea, that makes a lot of sense. Please tell us about these "many, many other locations" you speak of. There are countries out there with far worse socio-economic problems than the United States, so if you're going to pick and choose what issues bother you, let's just cancel the Olympics for good. Seriously.. is the state of Utah that repulsive to you because the guy who came in to run the 2002 Olympics is a Republican? This post absolutely reeks of your own personal political bias

Next to the "Like This" button, can we get a "This is Stupid" button as well? Where do you get "reactionary extremism" from? The United States certainly isn't without its issues, but many of the countries being awarded these big events have much bigger issues to deal with. Let's avoid the United States, but if China bids for an Olympics, no problem there. And FIFA should avoid the United States as well, especially after their World Cup in Qatar. Because Qatar is just a shining beacon of human rights to show off to the world.

Mitt "Our Olympics worked out fine, how was your election campaign?” Romney might be a bit of a joke now, but I hardly see how his involvement in SLC tarnishes it. If Seb Coe launches another failed foray into party politics in ten years, will London 2012 be any the worse for it? Of course not. One of the more bizarre posts I've read here and I'm someone who has no time for the American 'right' politically.

Where did I say I support Qatar? Or China? I don't.

But the everyday political - and especially religious - discourse in the United States leaves most citizens of liberal democracies utterly baffled and it has seriously turned me off the United States in recent years. In less advanced societies it might be understandable but the United States if it is such a beacon of light to the world must be held to higher standards.

On the death penalty alone, are you comfortable standing alongside such giants of freedom as Belarus, China, Saudi Arabia and Iran?

The power and influence of the religious right makes me proud to be from godless Europe.

Freedom and tolerance? Yeah, right, say it enough times and you will all believe it.

• Like 1

I think the GOP has pandered way too much to the reactionary, overtly-religious side of its voting base, but the end result has been two heavy election defeats, so perhaps that's worth bearing in mind. They haven't won over the majority of America going that way! The religious right in America is too powerful for my liking too but sometimes I think its influence is overstated. Nor would I judge the US on a party that's proven so out of touch over the last eight years or on its media mouthpieces whose bile and overreaction is often what we hear in Europe when it comes to US political debate.

I suppose we all draw a line somewhere though. I wouldn't be comfortable with Turkey winning 2020 right now, certainly am not comfortable with Qatar 2022 (for political and practical reasons), and only really supported Beijing on the basis that a fifth of the World's population was a huge hole the Olympics' hosting history. But ruling out Red States means you're drawing your own line pretty high, and it's not going to leave a lot of options for the future if the IOC followed your line of thought!

Edited by RobH
  • Like 1

Where did I say I support Qatar? Or China? I don't.

But the everyday political - and especially religious - discourse in the United States leaves most citizens of liberal democracies utterly baffled and it has seriously turned me off the United States in recent years. In less advanced societies it might be understandable but the United States if it is such a beacon of light to the world must be held to higher standards.

On the death penalty alone, are you comfortable standing alongside such giants of freedom as Belarus, China, Saudi Arabia and Iran?

The power and influence of the religious right makes me proud to be from godless Europe.

Freedom and tolerance? Yeah, right, say it enough times and you will all believe it.

Good, Markun. U stay on your side of self-rigtheousness, and we'll stay on ours. Whereas of course, your Scandinavian states would coddle the likes of what's-his-name, Anders Butcher of Norway, and comfort him until his natural dying day despite having taken 77 lives? Yeah. sleep with the Devil and Pillan, Markun. And that's why there's a big ocean between us--to keep the likes of judgmental pricks like you on that side. Capisce? <_<

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I'm not going to get into the details of the death penalty here, but I do believe it's warranted in extreme cases. I don't think it's right for society to pay gross sums of money to support the life of an individual who has been demonstrably, repeatedly, irrevocably hell bent on inflicting gross trauma and suffering on others. I don't apologize for that and that does not align me with Russia, China or Qatar.

As for freedom and tolerance, the US guarantees and protects many liberties including freedom of religious expression. I may disagree with someone's viewpoint, but I would fight to defend their right to hold it, because in so doing I'm defending my own rights as well. The separation of church and state is alive and well in the US. Look at the recent Supreme Court rulings. We are not a religious state, we are a state that protects freedom of religion and there is as much diversity in that area as you can imagine. I am disappointed in many government policies (education, gun control, green initiatives) but I do not believe out country is ideologically repressive as you have written. Your post is derived from a subjective mental and emotional perspective that is simply not accurate.

• 1 month later...

From the cities making some noise, I'd like:

1) Munich

2) Stockholm/Are

3) Oslo

4) Barcelona

5) Almaty

6) Krakow

7) Lviv

2022 was pretty much reserved for the Alps or Scandinavia, now who knows what'll happen. If the favourites don't bid, it'll be like 2020 all over again- anyone's game.