2022: A troubling scenario

stryker

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I see the Winter Games are going will be Almaty Kazakhstan 2022, Calgary Canada 2026, Harbin China 2030, Anchorage USA 2034 if Europe is still not happy then Christchurch - Queenstown New Zealand 2038.

Might as well push for Perth... about as likely as those. And I hear it is the Alberta of Australia!

The way I see the Winter Games are going will be Almaty Kazakhstan 2022, Calgary Canada 2026, Harbin China 2030, Anchorage USA 2034 if Europe is still not happy then Christchurch - Queenstown New Zealand 2038.

Not to forget the interplanetary extension that Sepp Blatter rambled on recently when talking about football...it's quite cold out there on Mars and beyond, let's get them in for 2042 at the latest.

Might as well push for Perth... about as likely as those. And I hear it is the Alberta of Australia!

There's no snowfall in Australia. Even with wildly hot temperatures all year long nationwide

Not to forget the interplanetary extension that Sepp Blatter rambled on recently when talking about football...it's quite cold out there on Mars and beyond, let's get them in for 2042 at the latest.

We better bring sheryl nome

There's no snowfall in Australia. Even with wildly hot temperatures all year long nationwide

Not sure if serious? But if so, Australia's southeast is experiencing one of its heaviest snowfalls in a decade. The high country between Sydney and Melbourne has had blizzard conditions this past week:

685504-164f3bb0-fb2d-11e3-9463-539ac6ca7

I live in Texas but even I knew that Australia sees snow during their winters.

And it's not even a matter of snow for Australia to host a Winter Olympics, it's a matter of meeting specific requirements, such as a mountain high enough to host alpine skiing. Also there might not be a chance that the IOC would agree to host the Winter Olympics so late in the year.

Also there might not be a chance that the IOC would agree to host the Winter Olympics so late in the year.

Which is also rather hard on Argentina, Chile, New Zealand etc. The world has two hemispheres, and the IOC (and its TV symbiotes) ought to make an effort to work with that.

I still don't see the 2022 Bid Race a troubling scenario. The only way this can turn into a disaster, is if we are left with only Almaty. If Oslo and Beijing both withdraw, then it is a troubling scenario IMO. I know the Almaty supporters won't like to here this, but I don't feel that Almaty aren't as ready as Oslo and Beijing are. I'm sure @FYI would agree, as he is a Beijing 2022 Supporter. I'm an Oslo 2022 Supporter though. My reasons for this:

Oslo 2022:

- Has experience.

- Winter Sports Powerhouse.

- Has Venues in Place.

- Traditional Winter Sports Host.

Beijing 2022:

- Has experience. (Regardless of whether it's Summer Hosting Experience, it's still Experience).

- Has a Strong Economy.

The thing that makes me Support Oslo 2022 over Beijing 2022 is the issues concerning Beijing. With it's Human Rights, Environment and Pollution and bad International relations, I think this could affect Beijing's Bid. Yes, some could argue that the IOC have chosen Beijing before, for the 2008 Summer Olympics and Paralympics, but I believe the IOC gave Beijing the benefit of the doubt and an opportunity to redeem themselves. They haven't. They didn't take that opportunity to Clean up it's issues. The only way the IOC will choose Beijing, is if that's the only choice and that's if Oslo withdraws. If Oslo withdraw and we are left with Beijing VS Almaty, I'm quite sure the IOC will choose Beijing.

Which is also rather hard on Argentina, Chile, New Zealand etc. The world has two hemispheres, and the IOC (and its TV symbiotes) ought to make an effort to work with that.

Let's wait until there's a city in the southern hemisphere that wants to bid and can offer a workable plan. Until that happens, the IOC is under no obligation to find a way to juggle the entire international winter sports calendar to make it possible.

Let's wait until there's a city in the southern hemisphere that wants to bid and can offer a workable plan. Until that happens, the IOC is under no obligation to find a way to juggle the entire international winter sports calendar to make it possible.

I'd argue that they'd be pretty put off putting the time in and energy into a plan they've been told has zero chance of even being received by the IOC.

Personally I understand why the IOC would be reluctant - but given the OWG host city well is a little parched these days it might be an idea to consider how it could happen down the track.. opening up the possibility of NZ, Chile and Argentina.

Sadly Australia, like Quebec, Australia doesn't have a suitable mountain - otherwise Melbourne or Canberra could have potential.

I'd argue that they'd be pretty put off putting the time in and energy into a plan they've been told has zero chance of even being received by the IOC.

Personally I understand why the IOC would be reluctant - but given the OWG host city well is a little parched these days it might be an idea to consider how it could happen down the track.. opening up the possibility of NZ, Chile and Argentina.

Sadly Australia, like Quebec, Australia doesn't have a suitable mountain - otherwise Melbourne or Canberra could have potential.

I grant you that the IOC isn't going to jump up and down with glee at the havoc southern hemisphere OWGs would wreak on their schedule.

However, realistically New Zealand, Chile and Argentina are all a good distance from putting together a credible bid. None of them performs very well in Winter Games. None has a significant winter sports pedigree. I understand that they offer training locales during the off-season, but there's a big difference between training and all the organization, planning and expense that goes into hosting that two week Olympic party. I don't really see how any of those three countries would benefit very much.

New Zealand is probably best positioned of the lot, but it's still hard to see why it makes sense for them. Their tourism and ski industry is thriving on its own. They don't need to become a winter sports powerhouse. They don't have a vast winter sports fan base to satisfy or a large flock of winter athletes to encourage. They have no need to prove themselves as a world power. We all know there's no money to be had (and potentially quite a bit to be lost). What's in it for them? A couple of weeks of fun and good memories? Is that enough?

I understand that when it comes to the Winter Games it's tempting to say: "Oooooh! They have mountains! They have snow! They've never hosted! That would be fun and different!" But that alone really isn't anywhere near enough to justify a bid, much less the IOC's support in executing the various requisite calendar contortions.

I don't see problems with the calendar as such: A Southern WOG would take place outside the usual winter World Cup seasons. So no regular events would need to be rescheduled, unlike for Qatar 2022.

However, the timing would certainly affect the planning of athletes' preparations & regeneration phases. Thst's probably more difficult to overcome.

I don't see problems with the calendar as such: A Southern WOG would take place outside the usual winter World Cup seasons. So no regular events would need to be rescheduled, unlike for Qatar 2022.

However, the timing would certainly affect the planning of athletes' preparations & regeneration phases. Thst's probably more difficult to overcome.

No scheduled events within the winter sports community don't need to change, but that doesn't mean other events or sports that normally happen during that timeline don't have to change or become a logistic issue either for the host city. When Australia was in the running to host the World cup in 2018 and/or 2022, there were issues with some of the venues already being in use during that period for other sports that happen during the World cup time period. Some key venues outright refused to be used for the World Cup, but I think they worked it out before the final bid.

Does anyone know how they worked out this issue in 2000 when Sydney hosted??? Were world championships for certain sports in the Olympics delayed, or started before the Olympics?

Yeah, if you include summer sports calendars, then a Southern WOG would probably collide with, or be very close to a FIFA WC and the Summer YOG.

The only thing I remember about Sydney's schedule was that the German women's Bundesliga started either very late or was interrupted for a month due to this.

No offence, but do you seriously believe this will happen? Almaty is now the outsider for 2022. It's Oslo's, unless Oslo withdraws, then Beijing will get 2022. Harbin? Come on. Your obsessed with Harbin. If China gets a Winter Olympics and Paralympics, it will be with Beijing. Anchorage? If America get a Winter Olympics, it will be with Denver. Also, they won't have 6 Winter Olympics in a row outside Europe. They won't have 3 in a row, let alone 6. 2022 will be Oslo's, 2026 will go to America, 2030 back to Europe.

2022 - Oslo, Norway. (Beijing 2nd and Almaty last).

2024 - Rome, Italy. (Berlin 2nd and Paris 3rd).

2026 - Denver, America. (Krakow 2nd and Beijing 3rd).

2028 - Durban, South Africa. (Berlin 2nd and Paris 3rd).

2030 - Krakow, Poland. (Beijing 2nd and Almaty 3rd).

2032 - Berlin, Germany. (Paris 2nd and Los Angeles 3rd).

The IOC and the Olympics are the big dog here. If they said they were holding a WOG in August, everyone else would adjust. They would have seven years to plan.

That "if" presumes that A.) the IOC is interested in holding a WOG in August and B.) they have a suitable candidate to do so. I don't see either of those happening anytime soon, and it's not because southern hemisphere countries like Chile and New Zealand haven't won enough medals.

I think we had this conversation earlier.. remember that the 100 or so voting members that choose the host site. Many of them have ties to countries or specific sport federations and will be swayed to vote for their best interests. I remain very skeptical that the IOC holding a Winter Olympics in August is a wise idea.

That would be sad because they'll be creating another Sochi situation, and once the 2022 games are over they'll have the same situation for the 2030 winter games bid, no one wants to put in a reasonable bid due to the beijing/almaty games, and only cities creating similar situations will bid again.

Well, I hope that this latest (& finally smart) withdrawal by Lviv (not that they had a snowball's chance in hel! anyway), will wake up the Norwegians that 2022 would have their name written all over it. Considering how many other cities we've already seen abandon their bids, yet the Norwegians are still there (despite many saying they'll bail, too), is making me think that they're still very much on the fence at least (rather than just a flat out 'no'), whether to pursue with the bid or not.

Well, I hope that this latest (& finally smart) withdrawal by Lviv (not that they had a snowball's chance in hel! anyway), will wake up the Norwegians that 2022 would have their name written all over it. Considering how many other cities we've already seen abandon their bids, yet the Norwegians are still there (despite many saying they'll bail, too), is making me think that they're still very much on the fence at least (rather than just a flat out 'no'), whether to pursue with the bid or not.

They should take a lesson from Tokyo 2020. They were the best choice up against 2 weaker bids, so they were in a position where they didn't have to offer the world and now can be more flexible with their Olympics now that they've won it. We know the Norweigans had some demands of the IOC. If they can stay in the running long enough to make it to the vote and eventually win it (which they likely would), then they're back in control to dictate the terms of their Olympics.

Easier said than done since that vote is a year away, if they can show some courage, I think they're somewhat in a position to tell the IOC how they want to do things. It would be great for the IOC to be humbled somewhat by a scenario like that.

Yeah, & it's not like the Chinese wouldn't (again) try to dictate to the IOC how their show is going to be performed. So the IOC has a choice (if the Norwegians do stay in, that is). Do they want the Chinese telling them how things are gonna go down, or do they want the Norwegians (with their more humble demands) telling them how to dance. An easy pick, I say.

Yeah, & it's not like the Chinese wouldn't (again) try to dictate to the IOC how their show is going to be performed. So the IOC has a choice (if the Norwegians do stay in, that is). Do they want the Chinese telling them how things are gonna go down, or do they want the Norwegians (with their more humble demands) telling them how to dance. An easy pick, I say.

Yes, an easy pick for you and me and probably everyone with a bit of common sense, but then again, it's about 100 individuals of which only half need to think otherwise...

They should take a lesson from Tokyo 2020. They were the best choice up against 2 weaker bids, so they were in a position where they didn't have to offer the world and now can be more flexible with their Olympics now that they've won it. We know the Norweigans had some demands of the IOC. If they can stay in the running long enough to make it to the vote and eventually win it (which they likely would), then they're back in control to dictate the terms of their Olympics.

Easier said than done since that vote is a year away, if they can show some courage, I think they're somewhat in a position to tell the IOC how they want to do things. It would be great for the IOC to be humbled somewhat by a scenario like that.

Thank You. I thought I was the only one who considered Istanbul 2020 a weak Bid. I don't know why some on here supported Istanbul 2020. Tokyo was by far the strongest choice. Good choice IOC.

For some reason, I reckon that Oslo will pass the referendum. Norway seems more 'stable' then Poland and Ukraine.

Archived