2022: A troubling scenario

stryker

We're not talking about all of Europe. It's only about the potential 2022 competitors (& Ostersund). In that sense, Stockholm would be the most practical & compelling choice.

Uhm, this comment has really nothing to do with the point of the out-of-context quote.

----

But anyways, Stockholm will formally declare their intent! So congrats:-)

That should be exciting. They will go through with further reviews before they decide to apply for government guarantees.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bavarian voters have sure changed the complexion of the race, eh?

To me, at this stage it's almost like 2020 again - all the ones left standing have some baggage to overcome.

I'm not hot for Beijing at all. My personal feelings play a large part in that, but beyond that, when the IOC appears to be struggling to re-build interest in the West in hosting, I think sending it to the largest metropolis in the world in a strictly-controlled society is sending the wrong message. Sure, it may not have a lot to build in Beijing itself, but doesn't the Zhangjiakou site need developing from scratch? And most people will just see "Beijing" and consider that it takes a mega-metropolis with no concerns about money to organise a WOGs now. besides, as has been mentioned often enough here, is three consecutive Asian games in a row a likely sequence?

Lviv, Almaty and Krakow are untried and will have to convince they're up to it. I'm not saying they can't be strong contenders, but they're going to have to build their case. It's going to be interesting to see the short list evaluation report and how they rate Krakow's venue spread and Almaty's capabilities. I think all three are definite host material in the future, but 2022 could still be too early. We'll see.

And that leaves the Scandinavians. We'll know in a few days, but I still wouldn't be surprised if neither Oslo or Stockholm eventuate. For all their NOCs' willingness to go, from what I am seeing it still seems the political backing is not locked in. And Stockholm? I WANT to believe, but I'm not confident the Stockholm-Are split is such an easy handicap to overcome. Maybe I'm just being too cautiously pessimistic, and I'll jump on the bandwagon if the Swedes do go for it, but not with any great confidence.

Assuming all the above go ahead with bids (and even allowing for a last minute surprise like a Borjomi), I guess I'd put Oslo in the front, with Stockholm, Krakow or Almaty as potential viable challengers. But I wouldn't put money on any of them yet.

I totally agree with this. There isn't a real humdinger out of the lot of them. All have considerable drawbacks. The reliable option would be Oslo, but if the IOC rebuffs the Swedes again, they may never bid again.

There is a part of me that wonders if neither Oslo nor Stockhom will be on the ballot on voting day due to lack of governmental support. We'll see.

There is a part of me that wonders if neither Oslo nor Stockhom will be on the ballot on voting day due to lack of governmental support. We'll see.

Yeah, I'm still reluctant to declare either of these certain starters. I still wouldn't be surprised if either or both of these fall by the wayside before the next deadline (I assume that will be early next year with their bid questionaires).

I'll say it now. If it's clear sailing all the way until election day. I'd bet on Krakow, the Solidarity-Pope Karol Wojtyla Games, with a hint of Dracula thrown in since the Carpathian mountains will feature for the first time in an Olympics!!

It's not the Carpathian (Romania) mountains, but the Tatra (Poland/Slovakia) mountains -> no hint of Dracula...

Distance isn't everything...depending on the infrastructure, you might be faster at places 200km away than at some places in 50km distance.

That said, I still believe the distance is a killer for a Stockholm/Åre bid. Also, it's not "just" the luge or curling (i.e. the less attractive events of the WOG), but alpine skiing, the real core of the WOG. Having most of those events so far away somehow just doesn't feel right to me, as much as Sweden hosting would be attractive otherwise.

It's not the Carpathian (Romania) mountains, but the Tatra (Poland/Slovakia) mountains -> no hint of Dracula...

Martin, a number of the maps I checked classify it as part of the Carpathian mountains, the western end of it. But OK, Vlad Tepes had a summer home there then. ;)

Stockholm 2022 distances:

ab43.png

Oslo 2022 distances:

z93x.png

Beijing 2022 distances:

xh2i.png

Krakow 2022 distances:

26st.png

Lviv 2022 distances:

uoe7.png

If they built the luge tracks between the cities, then people could get to the other site in half the time!!

Distance isn't everything...depending on the infrastructure, you might be faster at places 200km away than at some places in 50km distance.

Exactly, I can't really see getting from Lviv to Volovets in 2h 22min, unless you have an off-road vehicle.

And don't forget that you can get to some venues/clusters by plane.

Forget about Romanian Dracula or Hungarian Elisabeth Bathory. Let me introduce you to Juraj Janosik, Slovak version of Robin Hood, very popular in Poland. I think Poprad-Tatry 2002 bid even tried to use that character as an official mascot.

Good god, Are is nearer to Trondheim??!! Knew it'd be a fair way north, but not that far. Sundsvall & Ornoskoldsvik (sp?) are closer, but I guess they're both too small.

According to Wiki, Sundsvall has 50.000 inhabitants and Ö-vik 28.000 - of course far too small if you consider nowadays kind of winter bidders. On the other hand, Östersund which has pretty much most of what is needed to host, is much closer to Åre and has 44.000. Until 94, this was not considered small for a winter host.

What a ridiculous travel time between Stockholm and Are. This is really going to hinder the bid. Hmmm, it will be a tough sell but at the same time Sweden is long overdue for a Winter Olympics. This could be a sentiment shared by many IOC members that could help Stockholm.

Got some side info here: Calgary was ready to submit a bid for 2022. COC rejected them, not interested in bidding for 2022.

According to Wiki, Sundsvall has 50.000 inhabitants and Ö-vik 28.000 - of course far too small if you consider nowadays kind of winter bidders. On the other hand, Östersund which has pretty much most of what is needed to host, is much closer to Åre and has 44.000. Until 94, this was not considered small for a winter host.

This is where one has to question whether the Olympics are getting too big for their own good. I have to say that an Ostersund bid would've made much more sense if it weren't for the fact that the Games have outgrown the city. The IOC had better brace itself for a lot more bid cycles with vast distances between the candidate cities and the alpine events.

Calgary was ready to submit a bid for 2022. COC rejected them, not interested in bidding for 2022.

That was very sane of the COC. Way too soon.

Distances for Krakow 2022 without the Alpine site in Slovakia (in fact Poland could stage the giant slalom and slalom events themself)

Krakow - Myslenice - Zakopane = 106 km

Krakow cluster: Opening and Closing ceremonies, Medal ceremonies (Main market square or Wawel hill), Olympic/Paralympic Village, IBC, MMC, Ice hockey 1, Ice hockey 2, Curling, Figure skating/Short-track, Speed skating, Bobsleigh, luge and skeleton (Myslenice (Bobsleigh track 30 km outside of Krakow)).

Zakopane cluster: Medal ceremonies, Biathlon, Ski jumping, Cross-country skiing, Nordic Combined, Snowboard (halfpipe, slopestyle, Snowboard slalom, Snowboard cross), Freestyle skiing (moguls, aerials, slopestyle, and ski-cross).

ma4t.png

Some of the venue plans (which yet have not been posted on Gamesbids forums):

Bobsleigh-track: Myslenice

9661_652817281417469_1499375814_n.jpg

Cross-country skiing below the Giewont in central Zakopane (In the lower right corner you can see the large ski-jumping hill in Zakopane):

1378147_653753644657166_1548719881_n.jpg

Archived