2022: A troubling scenario

stryker

A Krakow resident! Would love to see some pictures of your city in the Krakow 2022 thread.

I counted at least three Polish guys in Krakow 2022 thread, so I'm definetelly not the only one. We just thought it would have been rude to flood the thread with photos. You don't get Olympics because you have a nice Main Square, right? :)

The best Krakow photos I've ever seen come from this website http://www.krakow4u.pl/krakow_zdjecia.html . The best part is "Tatra Mountains seen from Krakow" http://www.krakow4u.pl/Tatry-z-Krakowa.html

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, if Munich does not bid, the IOC is faced with the choice of (i) a true winter, not yet-hosted nation but where the ski slopes are 380 mi away? (ii) a bi-national bid in some ex-Soviet state (again); or (iii) a repeat host for whom it would be 3rd time in pretty much the same environs played in 1952 and 1994 (very much, a "been there, done that" setting)?

Not terribly good choices. I'd probably go for the Krakow bid. At least Polish folks dances have not yet been featured in any gigantic Opening Ceremony!

Who will make the short list (so far)? I think Almaty, Krakow, Lviv and Oslo.

The key to winning 2022 will be in the non-winter votes. The candidates must appeal to the African-Carib-Oceania-Asian votes w/ how their bid will work for the Olympic good worldwide-- not just for the Winter nations.

So, if Munich does not bid, the IOC is faced with the choice of (i) a true winter, not yet-hosted nation but where the ski slopes are 380 mi away? (ii) a bi-national bid in some ex-Soviet state (again); or (iii) a repeat host for whom it would be 3rd time in pretty much the same environs played in 1952 and 1994 (very much, a "been there, done that" setting)?

At least they won't be faced with a bid in some ex-British state like the USA.

Dude, u're like some 240 years behind the times. Wake up!!

I'm pretty sure the ex-soviet states would like us to (wake up and) move on as well.

If you've spoken to people that have experienced occupation, or alternatively make use of common sense, it's quite clear that the occupees don't always have the warmest of feelings toward the occupying nation.

Specifically, I've spoken with a ukrainian girl from Lviv who was furious that people still viewed Ukraine as something russian.

Of course, Ukraine is still eastern europe if that's supposed to be the point.

I'm pretty sure the ex-soviet states would like us to (wake up and) move on as well.

If you've spoken to people that have experienced occupation, or alternatively make use of common sense, it's quite clear that the occupees don't always have the warmest of feelings toward the occupying nation.

Specifically, I've spoken with a ukrainian girl from Lviv who was furious that people still viewed Ukraine as something russian.

Of course, Ukraine is still eastern europe if that's supposed to be the point.

Or Poland, which you had in mind of course.

Really? :rolleyes: Their shackles were broken only about 20 years ago. The US split from GB some 240 years ago. Do the math. ;)

Another thing to add is that the US has become a far greater industrial, political, and economic power than GB or any of it's former territories. When Ukraine becomes a Global Super-Power we will move on.

Polls will close in 2 hours 15 min, results expected about 1-2 hours later.

Go Munich! Although I really would love for Poland to have it's first games, they have been through hell and back they deserve at least one good thing ;)

Another thing to add is that the US has become a far greater industrial, political, and economic power than GB or any of it's former territories. When Ukraine becomes a Global Super-Power we will move on.

WHAT?!

I know some Yanks still have a Cold War mentality but this is insane!

EDIT: If the above was meant a joke Mr Bernham, sorry. I hope it was! :lol:

Almaty, Kazakhstan

Lviv, Ukraine

Beijing, China

Krakow, Poland

Oslo, Norway

Stockholm, Sweden

Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

USA

Germany

Canada

Spain

Finland

Switzerland

Ostersund, Sweden

Harbin, China

Has anybody heard anything about Sarajevo in a long while? I think its obvious they won't bid but they have just been silent for a long time now...so I'm wondering if there is something I am missing...in other words, I'm wondering how they are still highlighted in yellow....

I think, it's Oslo's to lose now. Stockholm is not a real rival, because Oslo has the advantage of having so many venues already built not far from the city, plus the venues of legendary Lillehammer.

Stockholm is rather a summer sports city compared to this, and Åre doesn't have the advantage of being a former Olympic winter host. No Olympic former winter host against the combined bid of two former Olympic winter hosts - I guess we have a winner.

And Beijing? No, not after only 14 years, and not right after the Pyeongchang 2018 Games. Almaty, Lviv and Krakow are too small or shaky - the IOC that has returned to "safety mode" (judging by its decision for Tokyo 2020) won't dare this.

Sorry, I correct my statement about Almaty, Krakow and Lviv being too small or shaky. I didn't know that Krakow and Lviv have more than 700,000 inhabitants each. So they are only shaky. ;)

So let's predict the candidate city will be shortlisted to :

- Oslo

- Beijing

- Almaty

I'd say if Stockholm bids they will be shortlisted, and if Stockholm doesn't bid there may be a very slight chance Krakow is also shortlisted because they are building all the infrastructure as we speak and the way I see it, the IOC generally tries to shortlist around 60% to 2/3 of the field.

I'd say if Stockholm bids they will be shortlisted, and if Stockholm doesn't bid there may be a very slight chance Krakow is also shortlisted because they are building all the infrastructure as we speak and the way I see it, the IOC generally tries to shortlist around 60% to 2/3 of the field.

You probably right Stockholm would take the place of Almaty in this second phase.... but I did not count in the Swedish capital as I don't feel they will bid.

When should they make their choice clear ???

You probably right Stockholm would take the place of Almaty in this second phase.... but I did not count in the Swedish capital as I don't feel they will bid.

When should they make their choice clear ???

They are supposed to make their "official" decision tomorrow or Tuesday, which leads me to believe that with a little persuasion, the Stockholm bid will proceed.

Archived