2022: A troubling scenario

stryker

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's 2013 you know. Norway haven't been at war for hundreds of years, & they are consistently ranked in the top 3 countries in the world for things like human rights, press freedom etc ever since they started ranking. The IOC would surely love somewhere like that, especially if they pick Istanbul for 2020

Oh please. The IOC is all about the DRAMA! They had their chance for "somewhere like that" with Austria. But they chose drama queen Russia instead for their big shebang.

How boring would it be around here then, if it weren't for Russia's anti-rainbow laws or paul's end-of-the-world anti-Japan's posts! Need to spice it up as much as possible!

Pfft. Its easy for the Norwegians to preach peace and freedom as the wealthiest country in the world from their northern European perch. The bit that they don't tell you is that much of their wealth is generated from investments in mining in much of the developing world. There is a lot to be said for the Swiss and Norwegians who remain neutral. If every country took the path of non-offense the world would be mumbling chaos.

Norway is not an inoffensive and peaceful country. Contrary to Switzerland, it is not neutral. It is an active NATO member, with F16 fighters. It has troops in Afghanistan. Don't make it sound like it was Costa Rica.

Norway may be relatively peaceful (and a lovely country it is indeed.... all be it extremely expensive), however often with those countries (I guess you'd include the Sweden, Iceland and New Zealand's of the world in this) you also get an extremely low tolerance of anything disturbing that peace. So the IOC would most likely have to encounter and larger than usual element of public protest, orderly protest, but protest none the less.

Ps, the whales probably don't think Norway is too peaceful. lol

Still, would certainly be one of my picks for another Olympic Winter Games in the near future if I could go anywhere.

Lillehammer were the best Olympic Games ever. And I was there. They would be excellent hosts.

But there are many countries where I'd like to see the Winter Games before going back to Norway: Germany, and Sweden to start with.

Potentially a more troubling scenario is approval by FIFA for Qatar 2022 to be held in the Winter months. If it is held close to the usual dates for the Winter Olympics then it might have a serious impact.

Could cities be holding off to see the outcome of FIFA's decision? Oslo estimate a games could cost $5.2bn ... even Stockholm are saying $2.3bn which is a lot of money if a competition is competing for fans and sponsorship money.

Could the IOC decide to shift the dates of the Winter Olympics? Rogge has said there are 'no plans to' ... which suggests that it has been discussed.

If the dates were shifted to the early autumn, could this bring a Southern Hemisphere bid into play? For example, the 2014 FIS season will start in Solden on 27th October - the Mt Hutt, New Zealand ski season has been extended to 13th October due to good quality and abundant snow.

I think the 2022 race could be very interesting. Let's say Oslo don't make it past the referendum and something similar happens with Munich. A split-site bid from Sweden, or even as gromit says, a southern hemisphere bid - could start to look a lot more attractive.

I hope Munich will bid, if they do, I am certain they will run away with it.

Potentially a more troubling scenario is approval by FIFA for Qatar 2022 to be held in the Winter months. If it is held close to the usual dates for the Winter Olympics then it might have a serious impact.

Could the IOC decide to shift the dates of the Winter Olympics? Rogge has said there are 'no plans to' ... which suggests that it has been discussed.

They better not. FIFA can work around the IOC.

Could cities be holding off to see the outcome of FIFA's decision? Oslo estimate a games could cost $5.2bn ... even Stockholm are saying $2.3bn which is a lot of money if a competition is competing for fans and sponsorship money.

If the dates were shifted to the early autumn, could this bring a Southern Hemisphere bid into play? For example, the 2014 FIS season will start in Solden on 27th October - the Mt Hutt, New Zealand ski season has been extended to 13th October due to good quality and abundant snow.

FIFA has said they would move the WC to December rather than January/February.

It'd be interesting to see how two Summer Olympic cities (Munich'72 and Barcelona'92) battled against each other to get the 2022 WOG. Oslo doesn't seem convincing for Norwegian people and have no interest to waste more time and money, above all when they are already awarded by a smaller event like Lillehammer 2016, just to use their infrastructure from 1994. About Krakow, the Polish government first has to invest in a decent highway to Zakopane and the Slovaks have to improve their gate to Poland from Poprad. Certainly I'd like the idea of Almaty hosting, but as many have expressed, is geopolitically to close from Sochi, such as any Ukrainian city.

Could this affect the 2020 vote? Will the IOC leave Madrid to give Franco Jr his big moment in Barca, just as Dad did 30 years before?

Personally, I don't think there's any chance that the hint of a possible Barcelona bid would induce anyone to vote against Madrid for 2020.

NO that is not simple, as NZL has said they don;t have the capability of hosting the WOG.

If they rebuild Christchurch there may be ample opportunity

There is talk of a new football stadium - if uncovered then you've got a ceremonies venue, if covered i.e. multipurpose then it potentially could be a large temporary indoor arena in a similar vein to the Forsyth Barr stadium in Dunedin (Large Hockey Venue)

The convention centre was demolished. A new one could be the location for speed skating

The CBS Arena is still standing. (Smaller Hockey Venue)

Both Sochi and Pyeongchang have got one venue which will be relocated somewhere else in the country. (Figure Skating)

A small curling arena could be a good location for the local ice hockey team

Outside you've got the possibility of Mt Hutt, Porter Heights or even Craigeburn holding the Alpine/Outdoor events.

New Zealand would be a perfect venue for a ski jumping hill because at present, ski jumpers practise/compete on grass/mats so a proper snow venue would be perfect and well supported post games. As a number of bob runs are closing after the games, it would not surprise me if a temporary design is used for this and future games - or provide the sport with a southern hemisphere bob/sliding facility.

And don't forget that Christchurch for a city of its size has already held numerous international sports events including multi sport games and has an international airport on the edge of the city.

if they're shifting it, Qatar 2022 would happen in Nov-Dec 2022 not in February when the 2022 WOG would happen. So there really wouldn't be any conflict. THey would be ten months apart.

Archived