Perth Australia Olympics Games

• 3 years later...

Perth would be an excellent choice to bid for and actually hold the Olympics. It along with Brisbane would be the obvious choices.But most people in the eastern states often disregard Perth primarily because they just don't understand how dynamic it's become. 

in Perth's support =Time zone the same as most of Asia, and closest to Europe, a huge range of good times in the year with excellent calm weather during the autumn and spring give it an edge on other cities in Australia to host the games in the traditional May-November slots expected by bidding cities....and direct flights to all major Asian cities, the middle east,new direct service to London, direct flights planned also to Paris and Los Angeles soon to come, the only city in Australia to have non stop flights to Africa, the massive upgrade of its airport, the new trains services to the airport, and the extension of major trains around the city, plus the new Optus stadium, and so many world class facilities already in place. It like all major cities in Australia is a sporting city, and is undergoing a real revival and reinvigoration in terms of infrastructure and even post mining boom is still punching above its weight.

With a population of 2.3 million and growing its neither too small or too big. 

Following the London type plan copied by the Gold Coast recently in making the athletes village a new homes for sale post games, would be easily done in Perth, and the city is actively looking to "infill" and redevelop inner city areas to stop its suburban spread. Making some of the apartments as affordable housing would be a huge vote winner for both Labor and Liberal in terms of politics. It may also prove the much needed impetus to finally get a comprehensive light rail added to its infrastructure too.  With the economic growth it has supplied and maintained for the nation over the last 20+ years, it's high time the city was rewarded with the support of such an endeavour of this scale.

There's a good argument for several cities in Australia to host a future Olympics, Brisbane is the obvious rival, but I think Perth may bid for the Comm's in 2026 or 2030, and an Olympics there could well be a possibility by 2040. Like Melbourne and Sydney before it, Perth would certainly put on a terrific games, friendly relaxed and professional. Its laid back but very swanky charm would certainly be appropriate. And like Melbourne, it's arts and foodie scene is getting an extraordinary reputation. 

Having hosted World class major events already, not just the Americas Cup, its not stranger to doing things big. 

It may have been back in 1962 since it last hosted the Comm's, ( the first in Australia to do so ) but they were at the time a game changer, and reported to be among the very best ever held.

The athletes " walkabout " was first seen in Perth in 1962, and copied by the Olympics and Comms ever since in the closing C's.  

4 hours ago, NoPantsPetey said:

With a population of 2.3 million and growing its neither too small or too big.

It is not too small for the athletes, but it is too small to accommodate the corporate sponsors, media, fans, and other Olympic hangers-on. Vancouver has a larger tourism industry than Perth, and it was a major stretch for Vancouver to wrangle enough hotel rooms for everyone for the Winter Olympic Games. As an example, Perth has 16 cruise ships arrivals scheduled in 2018 (see here) while Vancouver has roughly 160 or so (see here).

Don't take it personally, though. Seattle is bigger than Perth, and I think we have a 0% chance of ever hosting either the summer or winter Olympics. At least Perth can host the Commonwealth Games.

Edited by Nacre

you make a fair point about hotel rooms .. regardless they are building many at present, it would probably never be enough. Sydney approached that issue with 1000's of locals opening up their homes to visitors, in particular to family of athletes, leaving its available hotel space for more officials and media, and no doubt Perth would do the same. It put money in the pockets of locals directly in Sydney. 

2040 might be too early for Perth.. but the cruise ships.. not sure if thats an issue of major importance or not. Not every previous host city is near a port, and Perth IS a long way to cruise to, but is slowly capturing more cruise traffic from staging ports like Singapore.  Interesting however is the current ( or soon to be ) redevelopment of the Fremantle Harbour Terminal to accommodate more ships and passengers.

Still, I agree that the Comm's are a more appropriate bidding goal at present. 

Perth is growing really fast, even after the slow down of the mining boom, projected population by 2050 over 3.1 million. Nothing like a potential Olympics to get so much needed infrastructure and services in place. Even a Comm's bid would inject a lot of that into being. Who knows, only time will tell. In the end, we are all just surmising here... the decision is always going to be one of economics and politics.  ( btw - I LOVE your home city, Seattle is a terrific city. I'm the only person I know who has been 3 times, never seen a drop of rain and even got sunburnt once ! ) 

I wish that more cities in the western world would consider a grand exhibition like the worlds fair if they really want to host a mega event. Or take a hint from Glasgow and use an event to raise money for a charity or cause; Roger Federer was happy to skip playing in Monte Carlo last year to play an exhibition in Seattle to raise money for his African charity, but probably would not have shown up for a hypothetical Seattle Olympics.

I must say I am one of those who don't agree that professional tennis players should play in the Olympics anyhow, although it's a mute point these days and I understand the arguments for their inclusion, regardless of being a huge fan of Federer. What a legend he is, what a talent and quite the philanthropist. 

Flight-wise you just got the Perth-London route.  QANTAS is sinking a ton a cash into it but if it proves financially unviable it will be a short lived experiment.  Also FYI - there is a direct Sydney to Johannesburg QF flight.

Perth has a nice new stadium and relatively new arena.  There is not enough infrastructure on the ground for a 28-30 sport festival that has few shared venue options.  More to the point Perth doesn't need the required Olympic infrastructure and will not for generations.  Finally your economy is stagnant.  Who will pay for this?

Commonwealth Games - yes.  Olympics - no.

Finally the athletes 'walkabout' was first implemented at the Melbourne 1956 Olympics - 

• Inspired by Australian teenager John Wing, an Olympic tradition began when athletes of different nations are allowed to parade together at the closing ceremony, instead of with their national teams, as a symbol of world unity.
During the Games there will be only one nation. War, politics and nationalities will be forgotten. What more could anybody want if the world could be made one nation.
—Extract from a letter by John Ian Wing to the Olympic organisers, 1956

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_Summer_Olympics#Highlights

Edited by thatsnotmypuppy

I beg to differ on the subject of required infrastructure ... Perth is seriously in need of a huge amount of infrastructure .. especially in terms of public transit, rail and light rail, cycling roads and lanes, express busses... a city that has tripled its population in just 35 years, and has some of the worst traffic congestion in the nation.. have u been to Perth lately ? One of the reasons the new(ish) Labor government was elected was on the back of its infrastructure and transport policies.....Economy stagnant - no. Its far from stagnant, but yes its not the boom time it was a few years back, and is definitely having a major trial restructuring its economy like all the states are... and Queensland is in a vastly better situation ? Tourism numbers aside, QLD is struggling to restructure its economy post boom same as WA, and has much less political stability. Who will pay for all of this ... it doesn't matter which city in Australia may host a future games, you can guarantee the tax payer across the nation will pay a huge amount. That goes with the territory.  ... yes Melbourne did the walkabout thing first, sorry for confusion I was referring on to the Comms only, apologies for not making that more clear in my post. My bad.  But yes, I agree at this point, Comms yes!... Olympics bid?, a way down the track, but a doable goal if certain things are accomplished over the next decade and a half or two. Likewise, Brisbane would be an extremely viable candidate further down the line too. Wherever a future Olympics in Australia may be, we all safely know that Aussie's will put on a great event, when the time is right. 

In an era where “the taxpayer” is getting really skeptical about the Olympics & renouncing Olympic bids in many democratic cities/countries around the world through referendums, I wouldn’t really rely on that for being a motivation for a bid. Especially when the IOC supposedly now is saying “no need to build new facilities - use what’s already on the ground” in order to stop cities from continuing to run away from even bidding for the Games due to the massive costs related to Olympic construction. Perth, along with Brisbane, would certainly not fall within the IOC’s “New Norm” strategy, (among other things) precisely bcuz of the all the work that would need to be done. 

Which is why the next Australian Olympics will surely be in Melbourne - do they actually need to construct any sporting venues? If the IOC are so rigid as to not consider allowing the games to be held in September/October to enable probably the most Olympic-ready city on Earth to bid, there really is no helping them. 

I think for Melbourne to host there needs to be an agreement made far in advance to ensure that the broadcasters, sponsors, etc are kept happy and do not lose money. NBC's agreement with the IOC runs until 2032. If Melbourne hosted in 2036 it could do so under a new contract wherein 1) it gets to host outside of the summer, 2) NBC does not have to pay the IOC as much money, and 3) the IOC reduces its contribution to Melbourne an amount equivalent to the reduction in the TV contract with NBC.