Bach Calls For Overhaul of Olympic Bid Process

Hmmmmm, well looky here. And what else does he mention when talking about making the bid process more responsible? About encouraging a feasible African bid. Go figure.

And interesting that he's also not the first presidential candidate talking about a possible African Olympics. It seems that there's a strong presence within the organization to finally take an Olympics to the African continent.

Should be a note to all the harsh critics out there regarding (South) Africa & it's great potential to what it could mean to the Olympic Movement.

After reading this, does anybody else get the feeling that this plan could lead to the IOC reversing their stance on joint bids? To me when I read the statement "We need to be more open, more creative and more flexible," I feel that this will most easily be achieved with a joint bid. Whether that comes in the form of a joint bid in sense of Washington-Baltimore 2024 or as in Zakopane-Poprad 2022, I feel like the idea of joint bid may come out of this.

Joint bids aren't coming out of this. I seriously doubt that's what Bach is trying to imply here. Otherwise, a bid like Stockholm/Are for 2022 shouldn't be an issue when it's in the same country.

"Joint bids" actually make things much more difficult & logistically challenging, since having to deal with two sets of everything from the NOC, the organizing committees & actual governments to coincide & cooperate with one another like clockwork.

If its something like the Salzburg 2014, where only ONE venue was proposed right across the German border bcuz it made financial sense, then it's not to much of a bid deal. But proposing two or more sets of Games clusters in multiple countries, like the Helsinki/Lillehammer 2006, the initial Poland/Ukraine deal, then it's a no go from the start.

• Like 1

But Bach is critical of the current system, a rigid set of rules that requires conformity and minute details – but with questionable value.

“[Currently] we need the Games plan ready seven years before the Games, and everybody in the bidding procedure behaves as this will be the real Games plan; and the moment the Games are allocated to a city the changes start.

“I wonder if we couldn’t save some costs and energy in being more flexible before and not require too much at the very early stage of a bidding procedure.

“And this way I think we would also see more creativity. We have the transfer of knowledge at this time which is an excellent one, but on top of this we are organizing, sending out, we have questionnaires of I don’t know how many hundreds-of-questions and things and then we are ending up with bid books that all read a little bit similar because they’re all interpreting the same kinds of questions.

“We need to be more open, more creative and more flexible.”

So, a presidential candidate who finds bid books irrelevant and boring!

;)

I find this somewhat worrisome. Just because plans change doesn't mean the process of planning is pointless.

By requiring a detailed bid, the IOC is able to see which city has real organizational creativity.

By prioritizing "flexibility and creativity" I can easily imagine the IOC awarding the Games to a city that sounds like a good idea, but is lacking in technical ability.

I think the comments on Africa are also telling. He basically said that the IOC would move heaven and earth to get Africa the Games ASAP. This includes relaxing the technical requirements of the bid process.

If I were the USOC or Toronto or just about any other city interested in 2024, I'd be tabling my plans to bid right now. Not because I think Durban is supremely qualified but because so much of the IOC leadership is so obviously carrying a torch (pun intended) for Africa.

Second paragraph should've read "organizational ability."

I find this somewhat worrisome. Just because plans change doesn't mean the process of planning is pointless.

By requiring a detailed bid, the IOC is able to see which city has real organizational creativity.

By prioritizing "flexibility and creativity" I can easily imagine the IOC awarding the Games to a city that sounds like a good idea, but is lacking in technical ability.

I think the comments on Africa are also telling. He basically said that the IOC would move heaven and earth to get Africa the Games ASAP. This includes relaxing the technical requirements of the bid process.

If I were the USOC or Toronto or just about any other city interested in 2024, I'd be tabling my plans to bid right now. Not because I think Durban is supremely qualified but because so much of the IOC leadership is so obviously carrying a torch (pun intended) for Africa.

Second paragraph should've read "organizational ability."

Totally agree with you here. Reminds me of the 2008 bid process where IOC removed human rights evaluation so benefit a certain country, 2024 is Durban's to lose. With how things are developing in the IOC I wonder how many cities will be smart and not enter the race for 2024. Can you imagine if 2024 only end up with Durban, Baku, and Doha bidding and all other mega cities sit out?

If you want to make the games more manageable, then lower capacity requirements for venues. Well this would be one of the issues that would assist greatly.

If the main stadium were say 40,000 or 50,000 instead of 60,000 minimum, then there would be a wealth of cities with such existing stadiums that could potentially host. Same would go for the other sports where capacity requirements are lowered by 1,000 or 2,000.

Bach thinks that most bid books end up panning the same because they answer the same sort of questions? Sure, that's the requirement. But above all it would be the look of the bid book which is key. Without even looking or bothering to read it's contents, you should be able to get some grasp of a bidding city based on how their bid book looks like. We all know that they will have the technical requirements and assurances that such a city could host a games, so it comes down to the look.

A good comparison would be Berlin 2000 vs Sydney 2000. Just by the look of the books alone, you already know which one is the winner. But yes, I know that bid books alone don't win a city its bid, but it plays its part.

Totally agree with you here. Reminds me of the 2008 bid process where IOC removed human rights evaluation so benefit a certain country, 2024 is Durban's to lose. With how things are developing in the IOC I wonder how many cities will be smart and not enter the race for 2024. Can you imagine if 2024 only end up with Durban, Baku, and Doha bidding and all other mega cities sit out?

That probably won't be the case. You'd have the likes of say Chicago saying "damn we could have bid and won!" by proposing their plan for 2016 just having the dates changed.

You get the 2016 Candidate bid book, modify it a bit to form the new format Applicant book and flesh it out to form a new Candidate book. Spend a measly couple of million on the bid instead of 40 million.

But I suppose even that won't make you win since you did a lazy rehash of a pre-existing bid.

Reminds me of the 2008 bid process where IOC removed human rights evaluation so benefit a certain country.

Can you imagine if 2024 only end up with Durban, Baku, and Doha bidding and all other mega cities sit out?

I don't recall the IOC 'removing' human rights from evaluations since those are of a technical nature only.

You're most likely confusing that with the arguments that were made at the time that human rights shouldn't be taken into consideration since "politics shouldn't be mixed with sport".

And between only Durban, Baku & Doha, that would be an easy decision, wouldn't it.

So, a presidential candidate who finds bid books irrelevant and boring!

;)

Yet another piece of evidence that Bach lacks the skills to be a good President - good at politicking maybe, but not much else. Dangling the 2024 carrot in front of the African delegates is a transparent ploy to win the presidency, but a long-term disaster for the Olympic Movement. Here's hoping that IOC grandees aren't all lemming-like sheep who vote for whoever's "next in line"...

Yet another piece of evidence that Bach lacks the skills to be a good President - good at politicking maybe, but not much else. Dangling the 2024 carrot in front of the African delegates is a transparent ploy to win the presidency, but a long-term disaster for the Olympic Movement. Here's hoping that IOC grandees aren't all lemming-like sheep who vote for whoever's "next in line"...

Unfortunately, I think some of them are.