Will a Munich 2022 bid be favourite?

gromit

I may have said it before, but Quebec's 2002 bid was beaten not only by lack of mountain or bid scandals. But by aging venues.

Salt Lake City was building new venues and had a modern arena at the time of bidding, Quebec had venues yes, but nothing new and modern, just old and to be renovated.

But that's not the issue of course. I think Alpine Skiing is the crown, just look at all the events that are in it, that and Figure Skating (which supposedly warrants a larger venue than even Ice Hockey).

I may have said it before, but Quebec's 2002 bid was beaten not only by lack of mountain or bid scandals. But by aging venues.

Salt Lake City was building new venues and had a modern arena at the time of bidding, Quebec had venues yes, but nothing new and modern, just old and to be renovated.

But that's not the issue of course. I think Alpine Skiing is the crown, just look at all the events that are in it, that and Figure Skating (which supposedly warrants a larger venue than even Ice Hockey).

Aging venues can be updated

Finding a mountain with 800m vertical within 150km which has sufficient difficulty is not as easy

lol if you can't provide a minimum requirement venue you can't host. Sweden can provide the venue but at a great distance. There is a difference.

Yes and no. The IOC will probably offer an exception to their own rule if they should choose and only if the bid city/country offers a compelling reason. But if the other bid city (or cities) can satisfy that requirement, than the original city is deader than Julius Caesar.

• Like 1

lol if you can't provide a minimum requirement venue you can't host. Sweden can provide the venue but at a great distance. There is a difference.

Yes they can host technically host a Winter Games

but at such distance and making it so difficult for spectators to attend that it would go against the Olympic spirit and ethos.

So Sweden can host but ONLY with a bid centres around Ostersund

• 2 months later...

After Bach's election tomorrow, I think Munich 2022 will come thru.

I really do hope so. I'm hoping to make it my first Winter Games. :) It would be spectacular to see those 1972 venues back in use for an Olympics.

Being the first multi-season host city, it is an opportunity for Munich to have a second chance.

• Like 1

After Bach's election tomorrow, I think Munich 2022 will come thru.

Interesting, so you'd think he'll be a plus more than a minus in their chances of winning? Up to now there's been a bit of divergence of views on that here. Or do you mean that it will incentivize the Bavarians to more likely back it in their referendum.

I'm with Athensfan, I sure hope so. It would also be the first Winter Games I'd aim to go to as well.

Edited by Sir Rols

Interesting, so you'd think he'll be a plus more than a minus in their chances of winning? Up to now there's been a bit of divergence of views on that here. Or do you mean that it will incentivize the Bavarians to more likely back it in their referendum.

I'm with Athensfan, I sure hope so. It would also be the first Winter Games I'd aim to go to as well.

What I'm analyzing is that...it's good that Munich has said nothing too much so far, i.e., not to detract from Bach's candidacy. But once he's elected and if Munich might indeed be the best of the lot for 2022, I don't think the IOC would be so foolish as to pass up Munich merely becuz they also chose the best person to be their leader but who also just happens to be German. Unlike the previous Swedish example that apparently has guided the Germans and they have tried to avoid, it is different this time becuz the 2 selections are NOT concurrent. But Bach will just have to appear to stay completely and totally neutral...which I hope he can. I mean what are the 2022 choices looking like this point? Not another Slavic/Eastern Euro bid; not another Norwegian bid becuz Lillehammer was just 19 years ago (today). So I think if Bach can appear to be impartial, Munich can be a go...but the Munich team also has to be careful NOT to use the office of the president too blatantly.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I mean what are the 2022 choices looking at this point? Not another Slavic/Eastern Euro bid; not another Norwegian bid becuz Lillehammer was just 19 years ago (today). So I think if Bach can appear to be impartial, Munich can be a go...but the Munich team also has to be careful NOT to use the office of the president too blatantly.

I think Munich would be very careful to be fully above board and ensure there is no actual or perceived conflict of interest. That strikes me as being a very German approach, to be proper and behave appropriately.

I think you are right about the opposition:

Barcelona - not traditional enough after new frontiers in Sochi and PyeongChang and an amazing but not always entirely wintry games in Vancouver. Not to mention the internal business of Barcelona vs Madrid.

Almaty - Asian olympics three in a row? And geopolitically too close to Sochi

Krakow - Nice idea but how will people warm to events being held in Slovakia?

Oslo - safe hands and a strong winter sports culture. But will there be a sense of been there, done that?

I really do think that Munich has the potential to run away with it.

I love Norway but if a Munich bid comes through I will definitely support it. I'd really like modern Germany to host an Olympics and I think they have the right balance of big city and Alpine charm. And absolutely at the heart of Europe, I think it's a very attractive proposal.

Agreed!

I think Spain should just create a bid called "Spain 20-- whatever" and present it at every election. Both summer & winter of course.

Or just Spain 2???

I think Munich would be very careful to be fully above board and ensure there is no actual or perceived conflict of interest. That strikes me as being a very German approach, to be proper and behave appropriately.

I think you are right about the opposition:

Barcelona - not traditional enough after new frontiers in Sochi and PyeongChang and an amazing but not always entirely wintry games in Vancouver. Not to mention the internal business of Barcelona vs Madrid.

Almaty - Asian olympics three in a row? And geopolitically too close to Sochi

Krakow - Nice idea but how will people warm to events being held in Slovakia?

Oslo - safe hands and a strong winter sports culture. But will there be a sense of been there, done that?

I really do think that Munich has the potential to run away with it.

Yes. And although that would make for a somewhat boring race and another dull couple of years on GB, I would be happy for Munich. The thing I can't help noticing is that the support for Munich on these boards is very broad. I really haven't heard any detractors. We all seem to think it's high time for Germany to host again and we all like the idea of Munich -- at least to some degree. I think it's very possible the IOC will feel similarly and I don't see them denying Munich solely because they've just elected Bach.

• Like 1

I see the only reason that they didn't get 2018 was because the IOC was obliged to reward PC following its two previous loses--- also that 2018 was an appropriate time for an Asian OWG. It was a good bid my Munich- 2018 was just not its year. At this stage- Munich is the obvious choice for 2018. A great combination of timing, most exciting option, most sentimental, the best equipped and most well deserved.

*munich is the obvious choice for 2022z

I think Munich would be the early favourite but I see a case to be made for Oslo and Barcelona too. Oslo is a given. Barcelona would also fulfill the feeling of having the WOG return to Western Europe. It may not be "traditional", but since when did the IOC ever feel the need to rotate based on tradition? Geography, yes. Tradition? I find that people place more importance on tradition for the winter games than for the summer games and I see no basis for that.

Any of Munich, Oslo or Barcelona would be fantastic in my eyes.

Good point. If only 1912 would join as well. Among Stockholm, Munich and Barcelona, that would also give an even better chance for a past summer host to become a winter host.

Barcelona isn't going to even advance. I think the Spanish Olympic Committee will put a break on it esp. if Munich gets its referendum. Not unless there are real masochists in the SOC.