Will a Munich 2022 bid be favourite?

gromit

As much as I wanted Munich to host the Winter Olympics, I must say I'm right now laughing at the IOC. They give Olympics to places like Beijing and Sochi that lift the bar so high that Western Europe can't afford hosting the games.

But no problem, Beijing will be bidding and can throw in endlessly money. Just make China a permanent host for the games. Countries save a lot of money as they don't need to bid, let alone host the games.

As much as I wanted Munich to host the Winter Olympics, I must say I'm right now laughing at the IOC. They give Olympics to places like Beijing and Sochi that lift the bar so high that Western Europe can't afford hosting the games.

Hello from London :D

Munich can afford the Games. Who's said otherwise? They've simply decided they don't want to. And the IOC will get a great Games in Oslo, so who's missing out apart from Munich?

Edited by Rob.

Indeed, if Sochi hadn't been such an extreme example of costs and environmental damagw, opponents would have had far less ammunition.

Oslo will save the IOC this time, but I think you can forget about a bid from the Central Alps niw for a long long time. Switzerland and Germany as perfectly able hosts don't want to have it and Austria's motivation won't increase after these referendums.

London bidded before the Beijing games.

And Munich would be bidding after the London Games, and after the Vancouver Games. Why take 2008 and 2014 into account and ignore the two Games in between, 2010 and 2012?

It's possible Sochi gave the No Campaign ammunition that helped them win, but to say Western Europe can't afford an Olympics post-2008 is nonsense, ESPECIALLY in Germany's case where the economy is still doing pretty well.

I think perception overtook reality here if affordability really was the decisive factor.

Edited by Rob.

Exactly. This isn't over, Beijing can guarantee 100 percent public support, even though it'll be forced. I am starting to wonder whether the Olympics are too big for their own good after Beijing & Sochi. :(

Like I said in another thread yesterday, the IOC really needs to take a long, hard look at why most of the traditional European countries are not interested in bidding for the Winter Games. The IOC will be saved by Oslo for 2022, but they need to be proactive in thinking about how to make the Winter Games more appealing to Western Europe before they get into a situation where they have no legitimate bidders to choose from.

What a shame, Munich would have been the best choice by far. It would have been a great, great choice.

That said, Sochi is not to blame. No one expects Munich (or Oslo or Switzerland or Austria) to spend what Sochi did.

Edited by Gangwon

So it's official, I guess, that all four cities and counties voted against the bid. This is a major blow to all ambitions to bring the Winter Games to Bavaria - and also a bad omen for future German Olympic bids. I'm sure that no future German bid city will want to ask the population, but it will be forced to.

I think (and that was said on Bavarian Television a couple of minutes ago, too) the main problem was that the bid committee didn't inform about the 2022 bid well enough - while the campaign for 2018 was far longer and more thorough. Also it might have been a factor that this bid campaign was overshadowed by national and regional elections in September in Bavaria.

This was probably a flawed campaign, with the corresponding flawed result.

Ruhpolding also voted in favour of a bit (57 to 43 per cent), but apart from one other municipality (Engelsberg), it is the only municipality in Traunstein county that voted in favour.