Will a Munich 2022 bid be favourite?

gromit

Personally, I think that's a rather sad outlook.

"Now we can finally forget about 36 and 72". Those two are already practically forgotten about and they will remain in the history books no matter what happens in 2022.

Germany has held larger sports events than the WG such as the WC 2006, so there's nothing to prove, and I don't think there ever was anything to prove. Germany's obstacles are domestic (as in most industrialized countries).

The most compelling things about Munich 2022 are things that stand on their own merit. A genuine following and enthusiasm for the sports; atmosphere, huge crowds and a city with amazing facilities and hospitality.

Munich has everything it takes to host as good winter games as we can get.

• Like 1

Exactly. That's probably the single most compelling thing about Munich 22, the chance to forget 36 & 72, the chance for Germany to host a peaceful Olympics at last.

I really disagree with this. Germany is a different country now. Munich Games would be about the present. Germany is an economic and sporting powerhouse who is very deserving of hosting the biggest event in winter sports. That's it.

The Germans can be trusted to host well-organized Games with great spectator turnout and superb atmosphere.

• Like 1

It will be nice for Germany to finally get the monkey off its back though. It doesn't have to prove itself to anyone, and there are far more compelling reasons for them to host obviously, but surely most Germans who are Olympic fans would like to have an untainted, successful hosting to look back on. I don't think it's enitrely insignificant.

It will be nice for Germany to finally get the monkey off its back though. It doesn't have to prove itself to anyone, and there are far more compelling reasons for them to host obviously, but surely most Germans who are Olympic fans would like to have an untainted, successful hosting to look back on. I don't think it's enitrely insignificant.

It's not insignificant. Of course we hope ALL Olympics will be untainted by tragedy. I just think it's going way too far to say that blotting out '36 and '72 is the single most compelling reason to give Munich the Games in 2022.

Polls are closed now, the first results should be in within the next half hour.

Here are the results pages:

Munich

Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Berchtesgadener Land (county where the Königsee luge track is located)

Traunstein (county where the Ruhpolding biathlon arena is located)

Now this is really surprising. I would have thought that the opposition in Garmisch has become weaker after the luge/cross country events have been shifted to Ruhpolding. This is the town that voted (albeit rather narrowly) in favour for an 2018 Olympic bid!

SHHHIIIIIITTTTT!

Traunstein is also reporting from one of its 35 municipalities: The opponents even have a 57-43 lead there!

Now this is really surprising. I would have thought that the opposition in Garmisch has become weaker after the luge/cross country events have been shifted to Ruhpolding. This is the town that voted (albeit rather narrowly) in favour for an 2018 Olympic bid!

SHHHIIIIIITTTTT!

Traunstein is also reporting from one of its 35 municipalities: The opponents even have a 57-43 lead there!

Well, it seems the games had most support in GAP.