Will a Munich 2022 bid be favourite?

gromit

Not terribly good choices. I'd probably go for the Krakow bid. At least Polish folks dances have not yet been featured in any gigantic Opening Ceremony!

Haha, good one... :lol:

It's funny how some people seem to think their life will end if their country doesn't organize olympics once in their life. It's ok people. Going to see them in another country than yours does nothing to reduce your pleasure, and doesn't hurt, you know....

Haha, good one... :lol:

It's funny how some people seem to think their life will end if their country doesn't organize olympics once in their life. It's ok people. Going to see them in another country than yours does nothing to reduce your pleasure, and doesn't hurt, you know....

I think Germans have a valid reason to want. Their country, in its current reborn, repentant and reunified form has never hosted the Olympic Games. Furthermore, the other 'versions' of Germany in which they were staged were tarnished due to both their own doing, and by the harm inflicted by external forces.

These political reasons aside, Germany is a strong and committed country of the Winter Olympics - the strongest by far to have not hosted since WW2. Even if you do include the Summer Games as a factor - it would have been 50 years between Games - more than long enough for a country has influential and committed to the Olympic movement as Germany is. Even here, putting these issues aside, Germany has a strong economy, it can afford it, and they are extremely well organised - the Japan of Europe. Munich 2022 is just too iconic an opportunity to be missed by the IOC, especially when thinking about crossing the Winter-Summer bridge finally.

Frankly, it is going to be a terrible shame to see it end up anywhere else by virtue of this referendum. Why oh why, of all cities that have ever bid for the Olympics, does the one of the most exciting face a negative referendum. Murphy's law. :(

• Like 2

first rprojection will be expected at 6.30pm

final result to be expected Monday evening,

but as long it´s not totally tied result we should know the outcome earlier

It's a pity that I am not allowed to vote...

One "yes" vote less...

makes TWO with me

they should have asked whole Bavaria - it´s our money too ;)

The websites of two newspapers from Munich today - at the day of the referendum about a Munich 2022 bid:

is this the first "pro" article from SZ?

but it´s well writen IMO

specially this part i totally agree with

Die reichste, schönste, sicherste Stadt der Republik bildet sich viel ein auf ihre wunderbare Lässigkeit. In Wahrheit ist das oft nur eine arrogante Bräsigkeit: Hier lässt es sich so gut leben, dass es offenbar gar niemand nötig hat, eine Idee zu entwickeln, was aus der Stadt in zehn, 20 Jahren werden soll. Münchenbraucht kein Wachstum mehr, schreien die Olympia-Gegner - doch dabei ist jetzt schon klar, dass die Stadt bis 2030 um 200 000 Menschen wachsen wird. Das ist selbst für München eine Herausforderung, die viel Kreativität verlangt.

this was also my impression when i was visiting Munich

After 2 hours, already 14% participation (incl postal votes) in Munich proper - a lot of interest certainly. This should result in a clear result for one side or the other, and all online polls show that this may not be the side most of us here want to succeed.

Not necessarily. High turnouts can also mean that both camps are highly mobilised and it can become a narrow result. It can turn any way. I guess we are left no nothing more than waiting until the votes are counted.

Haha, beware of clichés. Having shared the life of a German citizen...I x

I can tell you not all of them are so well-organized :P

Absolutely true. :D

• Like 1

Oh, and regarding online polls: I wouldn't bet a dime on those. Online polls are always open to manipulation by interest groups, and the "NOlympia" activists sure have a high interest in manipulating such a poll in their favour, to make a statement. And the angry members of interest groups which are against a certain plan surely are easier to be mobilised for such a poll than the rather equanimous supporters of that plan.

Oh, and regarding online polls: I wouldn't bet a dime on those. Online polls are always open to manipulation by interest groups, and the "NOlympia" activists sure have a high interest in manipulating such a poll in their favour, to make a statement. And the angry members of interest groups which are against a certain plan surely are easier to be mobilised for such a poll than the rather equanimous supporters of that plan.

thats why is still hopefully

The article claims that Munich is sometimes very self-satisfied and doesn't want to take any risks. Unfortunately quite true...

Do you think the events of 1972 plays into the attitude of people in Munich towards hosting the Olympics again? Munich organised one of the most spectacular and beautiful Olympics of all time to reintroduce Germany to the world, and the horrors of international terrorism marred it - and to extent the name of the city to this day. For many Australians the word "Munich" brings up thoughts of lederhosen, beer and the Israelis of 1972.

Do you think the events of 1972 plays into the attitude of people in Munich towards hosting the Olympics again? Munich organised one of the most spectacular and beautiful Olympics of all time to reintroduce Germany to the world, and the horrors of international terrorism marred it - and to extent the name of the city to this day. For many Australians the word "Munich" brings up thoughts of lederhosen, beer and the Israelis of 1972.

Not really...72 only plays a role in terms of legacy that it brought to the city and the question whether 22 would bring such benefits too or not. Security issues have hardly been discussed, if you discount a few extreme positions that are against the bid because of the heavy security and possible "police-state" measures, but do seem to forget that a No could result in having the Olympics in China, surely not the safehaven of democracy and open society these days.

For 2018, the bid was also positively welcome by the Israeli NOC, if I remember correctly, and the pro-bid side has not really put forward an argument à la "Let's make 2022 forget about 1972". The debate really focussed on current issues - environment, costs and of course the IOC image.

Update on the voting turnout: At 14:00, it was 22.5% in Munich itself, which means that the referendum in the city will definitely be valid in binding. 10% of eligible voters would have to vote either yes or no for that, and with more than 20% already voting, one side will get the sufficient number of votes.

Unless my maths really sucks ;-)