Will a Munich 2022 bid be favourite?

gromit

Munich 2022 may have more public support than in 2018, I hate comparissions but this may be something like Tokyo: back in 2009 they were the strongest bid technically but lost to sentimental favourite Rio (Pyeongchang) and in 2013 they came back stronger to win.

Hopefully Tokyo is inspiration for the Bavarians - it certainly is a valid comparison. Munich would be utterly foolish to pass up this opportunity.

Honestly, I can't see Germany obtaining a third Summer Games with Paris and Rome looming large in the foreground - I think a Winter Games is the best course of action.

I think so, too. Especially when all the other potential 2022 bids, other than Oslo, wouldn't be technically of high caliber as the Munich bid. And what would be a negative for Norway is that they've already hosted two Winter Olympics since Germany first & last hosted one.

Winter 2022 could also be a 2020 summer parralel where the IOC choses the safest choice (since both Rio & PyeongChang would still need to be hosted by 2015). Oslo would benefit from that too, but not as much as Munich would IMO. If Munich doesn't bid, then I think that it'll be Oslo's to lose.

PyeongChang is not unsafe. The only risk is probably weather.

Uhh, you sure about that. With Kim Jong-un right across the border wanting to make South Korea "radioactive" himself. :lol::P

Besides, like cube mentioned, it's mainly the quality of the atmosphere & the South Koreans truly being able to embrace the Winter Olympics that's really the crux of the matter here. It was an argument always used against PyeongChang by the Munich & Annecy camps, & something that we won't really know until the 2018 Winter Games take place.

Conceptstudy for a possible Munich 2022 bid

http://www.dosb.de/fileadmin/Bilder_allgemein/Veranstaltungen/Muenchen2022/130919_M22_Konzeptstudie_Endfassung.pdf

Halfpipe would be moved to Munich,

Biathlon and Cross-country would move to Ruhpolding with a own Olympic village in Inzell (also to host the athlets from the sliding events in Königssee)

the DOSB will decide Monday if they move on with a possible Munich bid for 2022

if they opt with YES, then the people of Munich, GarmischPartenkirchen, Traunstein (Ruhpolding), and Berchtesgardener Land (Königssee) will vote in a referendum on 10th November

The German Olympic Sports Confederation (DOSB) is moving ahead with its plans for a bid for the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games 2022. At a meeting on Monday in Munich the 98 member organisations of DOSB, which represent 27.8 million memberships, agreed on a concept study which was introduce to them by the planning team. The next step is a referendum in the communities of Munich and Garmisch-Partenkirchen as well as in the counties of Berchtesgadener Land and Traunstein on November 10th, four days before the bid has to be announced to the IOC.

The concept study is based on the much-lauded plans which were made for the 2018 bid when Munich lost against Pyeongchang/South Korea. Now some optimizations have been made. The biathlon and cross country skiing events will be moved from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Ruhpolding and into the county Traunstein. In Ruhpolding exists a world class biathlon venue where the World Championships were held in 2012 and a World Cup is hosted each winter. Aerials and halfpipe would be coming into the iconic Olympic Park in Munich, the side of the Olympic Games 1972 and a great example of Olympic legacy. The adaptations for Munich 2022 would mean that the 2018 two park concept with a stand alone venue in Königssee (Sliding Center) would turn into a three park concept with a ice cluster in Munich, a snow cluster in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and a endurance and sliding zone in Chiemgau-Königssee.

The meeting in Munich was led by Verena Bentele, the twelve time Paralympic Champion. Many sport stars attended such as the Olympic Champions Maria Höfl-Riesch, Britta Heidemann, Marina Kiehl and Markus Wasmeier, Paralympic Champion Martin Braxenthaler and the Olympic Medalists Henrik Stehlik and Thomas Schwab.

Acting DOSB President Hans-Peter Krämer said afterwards: “We would like to offer the most sustainable Olympic Winter Games in history, using an existing Olympic Park and many existing world class venues such as the ski tracks and the ski jumping hill in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, the biathlon venue in Ruhpolding and the sliding center in Schönau/Königssee. We are confident that the referendum on Nov. 10th will end in favor of the bid and we hope to convince the IOC afterwards. Choosing Munich as host for the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games 2022 would be historic because it would be the first city to host Summer and Winter Games in history.”

Sourcehttp://www.aroundtherings.com//articles/view.aspx?pv=xqv&id=44606

Maybe a bit of a risk, but none of the others will have compact bids either, it seems. And in terms of land owners and necessary constuction, the 3-cluster concept seems even easier to realise than the 2-cluster concept of 2018.

Now it's all a matter of a positive referendum, but I think this time the bid looks better prepared, and might finally be *the* sensible German bid the IOC was waiting for probably. Rogge once said: "If Germany really wants the Games, it will get them."

We'll see :-)

The German Olympic Committee (DOSB) on Monday voted in favour of Munich launching a bid to host the 2022 Winter Games.

In 2011, Munich lost out to South Korea's Pyeongchang in the race to host the 2018 Winter Games, but at a meeting on Monday, DOSB members voted overwhelmingly in favour of a new bid.

Candidate cities must submit their bids to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) by November 14.

The Munich bid still faces a referendum vote on November 10 by residents in the proposed host venues of Munich, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Ruhpolding and Berchtesgaden (Koenigssee).

Both the State of Bavaria and the city of Munich have signalled their support for another bid.

Other candidate cities for the 2022 Winter Games are Norway's capital Oslo, Almaty in Kazakhstan, Poland's Krakow, Ukraine's Lviv and Sweden's Oestersund.

The 2022 Winter Games will be awarded at the 127th IOC session on July 31 2015 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

AFP

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/130930/olympics-munichs-2022-winter-games-bid-approved

Pending referendum - more (or as) certain as Munich.

I'm thinking we will have, at the very least, four shortlisted cities. Maybe five.

Yes, I suppose Oslo is in the mix too. So potentially six bidding cities. Wow.

The thing with Munich is, their referendum is only a few days before the applications are due. Suppose the vote is negative. What do they do? Decide not to submit at the last minute? Submit anyway?

The thing with Munich is, their referendum is only a few days before the applications are due. Suppose the vote is negative. What do they do? Decide not to submit at the last minute? Submit anyway?

From what I gather, the bid will not proceed is the referendum result is negative. Given the Munich consensus on here, the decision of the 2022 Winter Olympics falls into the hands of voting Bavarians.

I don't think there is any doubt they would lose, but does anybody think Harbin/Beijing will bid for 2022, or at least use it as a test run for bidding for 2026 or 2030? I think they would stand a good shot at getting shortlisted because the Chinese would be willing to spend any amount on infrastructure. I'm not saying there is any chance they would win, but they haven't come out saying they are delaying the bid as a result of Tokyo/Pyeongchang winning.

Also, does anyone else think the Krakow/Slovakia bid stands a really good chance at winning. The facilities are in place or are currently being built, and I think a new place for the WOGs makes for a very attractive bid, to at least change up the countries that hold the games all the time. (i.e. Norway). I think Oslo, Munich, and Krakow are going to be involved in a tight race with 2 other cities shortlisted between Lviv and Almaty.

I think China should sit 2022 out. There is little to no chance of them securing a THIRD consecutive East Asian Olympics.

That said - I think that, with a solid bid, they could easily walk in and take out 2026 on the first go. Still convinced that they should make it a Harbin Olympics and leave Beijing out of it all together.

Harbin is an extremely attractive city in its own right, and its winter ice festival lends it an interesting element to draw upon for potential branding/ceremonies.

China will go all out too - with the recent Beijing 'upstaging' by Sochi, PC and Tokyo. They will do another Sochi.

all the 4 referendums (Munich, GaP, Traunstein and BerchtesgadenerLand) need to have at least 50,1% support on it´s own,

if just one has less, the bid is dead (thats what german TV said yesterday)

Both Sochi and PC are in new countries at least in terms of Winter Games. So, while Krakow may be interesting in the long run, IOC might just go for a "traditional" choice, which would be either Oslo or Munich at this stage.

all the 4 referendums (Munich, GaP, Traunstein and BerchtesgadenerLand) need to have at least 50,1% support on it´s own,

if just one has less, the bid is dead (thats what german TV said yesterday)

Yes, bidding despite a negative referendum is a no-go. It would almost be political suicide with local elections in Bavaria scheduled for spring. I don't expect a no though, however there is a quorum of electorate who must participate (and vote yes in a majority) to make the referendum valid. All a bit complicated, but there is broad political support apart from the Greens.

Do you sense that the public in Bavaria is behind the Olympic bid? Referendums can be tricky - especially if it requires a majority in all four areas.

It would be a terrible shame for the bid to lose legitimacy because it falls short but a slight percent in Garmisch (for example) but receives a big showing of support elsewhere.

It is interesting how Olympic bids are launched in parts of Europe - there is no way that a referendum would be called over an Olympic bid here in Australia.