Will a Munich 2022 bid be favourite?

gromit

Hi there,

I'm new to this as active member, but been lurking for quite a while already...

Anyway, as a Munich resident, I'd love to see "us" getting 2022, though I must admit I'm a bit cautious now that Oslo seems to be definitely bidding. I guess some people in the IOC already are relieved that there's no automatism towards Munich now (provided our referendum is a YES too, of course) and that there is a real choice that won't give too many headaches (as perhaps first time bidders like Lviv or Kraków would).

Almaty is probably only a warm-up bid anyway, after Sochi and Pyeongchang, geography should be at least the obvious reason to let them wait for a later try.

(..) though I must admit I'm a bit cautious now that Oslo seems to be definitely bidding (..)

I'd estimate the chances that Oslo submit a bid in the end is .. maybe 15-25 %.

The referundum was one of those things that could only hurt Oslo's chances. That we voted yes, only means that we avoided the early defeat. It was basically a guiding referendum as to whether the City should apply for financial guarantees on state level.

Norways is (sadly) a very district oriented country with huge skepticism (and bitterness) towards the capital area. With populists in the government, it's likely that it will be very difficult to get enough political support.

Ice events in London, skiing & stuff on the Chilterns. Yeah, we could do it! :lol: On a more serious note, could Scotland ever host the games? It's the only place in the UK that could. Maybe Aberdeen as host city?

Glasgow. Multiple indoor arenas and stadia which could be used.

Glencoe Ski Area. The oldest resort in Scotland was a 803 metre vertical drop. 80miles (130kms) from downtown Glasgow.

German Skiing Federation has just released its plans: Alpine and Jumping/Combined should be in Garmisch, Biathlon/Cross Country in Ruhpolding where also a village could be built, possibly meaning speed skating at nearby indoor rink in Inzell. Less venue construction needed than in 2018 plans, now DOSB still has to approve going forward and then referendum at all possible venues on 10th Nov.

• Like 1

Glasgow. Multiple indoor arenas and stadia which could be used.

Glencoe Ski Area. The oldest resort in Scotland was a 803 metre vertical drop. 80miles (130kms) from downtown Glasgow.

Really? Is that all? I thought it would need to be northern Scotland to even be vaguely near doable. Maybe that could work, it'll be ages before we get the summers again, & we're improving at the winters all the time. Also be a return home for curling, we've got a few famous winter Olympians to back it (Torvill, Dean, Robin Cousins, Amy Williams, Rhona Martin, Eddie the Eagle :lol:) Also got a good chance of curling gold again in Sochi. It would have the newness of being the first WOG bid from the UK & the first proper bid from Scotland. Maybe in the 2030s-40s perhaps?

Glasgow. Multiple indoor arenas and shousing a winnertadia which could be used.

I love the idea of the winter Olympics returning to the home of curling. The idea of Great Britain hosting a winter Olympics is interesting considering that they haven't won many winter medals. But if anybody could make it work it would be the British. I also think Glasgow would be s great host for an IOC session with the SECC and the a Clyde Auditorium.

German Skiing Federation has just released its plans: Alpine and Jumping/Combined should be in Garmisch, Biathlon/Cross Country in Ruhpolding where also a village could be built, possibly meaning speed skating at nearby indoor rink in Inzell. Less venue construction needed than in 2018 plans, now DOSB still has to approve going forward and then referendum at all possible venues on 10th Nov.

Hi Stefan,

welcome to our boards! I had been on the Marienplatz, when the IOC announced the host of 2018. I flew only for the announcement to Munich to be there on the Marienplatz...

Hi Stefan,

welcome to our boards! I had been on the Marienplatz, when the IOC announced the host of 2018. I flew only for the announcement to Munich to be there on the Marienplatz...

Wow! You must have been quite optimistic then! I just missed out by a few minutes because of a work meeting but already felt before that it wouldn't be much to cheer for. July 2015 will hopefully be different :-)

Wow! You must have been quite optimistic then! I just missed out by a few minutes because of a work meeting but already felt before that it wouldn't be much to cheer for. July 2015 will hopefully be different :-)

I took some days off from the office: I have relatives living in Zorneding - therefore I stayed some days with them, but the 2018 announcement was the reason to fly to Munich.

When it was announced after the first ballot, that the host was elected, I was aware that Pyeongchang was chosen - I took the U-Bahn to the Olympiapark and walked around - it was a very nice summer day...

That are some pics, which I shot on that day:

IMG_0507_zpsef0e698c.jpg

IMG_0502_zps6b3ac018.jpg

IMG_0503_zps0120679e.jpg

IMG_0500_zps639788a5.jpg

IMG_0488_zps00f745a9.jpg

IMG_0505_zps657cacf3.jpg

IMG_0498_zps1f6b9f91.jpg

Is the Olympic Cauldron hidden behind those bushes yet? or it's now visible to visitors?

When you are inside of the stadium you see the cauldron like you can see it in my pic - when you don't walk into the stadium you won't see it, since it is behind trees...

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

question to the pther germans in here

how are your hope for the poll in November?

i really fear a NO from Munich

the problem i guess could be the fact that "YES" voters might not go, but those "NOlympia" people will go for sure and take part in the poll

but it would great if the bitter No voters will get sidelined and Munich moves on with a bid

No voters may not be bitter, they may just have another idea how to spend the money/save environment etc.

Never mind, my guess is an overall Yes, maybe slightly higher than in Oslo. Each individual venue (Munich, Garmisch, Ruhpolding, Schönau) must vote in favour though, and there may be regional differences.

I think it's an advantage that this time the referendum is just before the bid deadline, not almost at the end of the campaign just a few weeks before the vote, like in 2011 when there was a lot of negative influence (and still got a majority).

There are Bavarian and nationwide elections the tomorrow and next Sunday - it would be campaign overkill at this stage. As almost all major parties support the bid, the election results won't have much of an effect I guess, for efficiency reasons, they should have held the referendum at the same time as the elections. Oh well...