Will a Munich 2022 bid be favourite?

gromit

With the announcement that there is going to be a referendum on whether Munich should bid for the Winter Olympics 2022, will the immediately become favourites should that referendum outcome be yes?

It has been stated that any bid would be based on the 2018 campaign but what I find interesting is the location of where the referendum is being held - Munich and Garmisch-Partkenkirchen plus Berchtesgaden where the Schonau au Kongisee bobsleigh track is located BUT also Traunstein.

To get to the bobsleigh run you need to travel through Traunstein which might be why they are included but there are TWO world class venues located there which could be incorporated into any bid, which would not increase the overall size of the bid but may help overcome environmental objections raised previously.

The Cheimgau arena in Ruhpolding has previously held the World Biathlon Championships and has numerous cross country runs. There is also a modern 128m ski jumping hill with a K point of 115m which can easily be extended by 6m to get to the regulation size. This would allow the Nordic Combine to be held here as well

2097894299-stadion-ruhpolding-weltcup-g7

04.JPG

Just round the corner is the world class Inzell speed skating arena, (10,000 seats) now an indoor facility

GS0512_CIS01_ss.jpg

Converting the swimming pool in Munich to be a curling arena, using the Olympiahalle (15,500 seats), applying a coat of paint to the OlympiaEishalle (6252 seats) means all that is needed is a larger Ice Hockey arena which can be used by the Bayern Munich basketball team or the DEL team EHC Red Bull Munich. The Eishalle can then be demolished.

Is there any other contender that can offer so much for such (comparatively) minimal investment?

Munik is a shoo-in were it not for Bach's presidency plans. He doesn't want it to win under the cloud that as IOC president, he manipulated its victory like a certain Catalan president rigged the elections of 1986 in favor of his hometown...while pretending to be above the fray. (Yeah. like that fooled anyone.) And we don't know at this point what pressure the Berlin and Hamburg partisans are exerting on the GOC to go for a Summer SOG before a Winter one.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Just round the corner is the world class Inzell speed skating arena, (10,000 seats) now an indoor facility

GS0512_CIS01_ss.jpg

Uhmmm....this source http://inhabitat.com/speed-skating-stadium-inzell-features-a-roof-that-radiates-cold-back-onto-the-ice/speed-skating-stadium-inzell-behnisch-architecten-3/?extend=1

says 7,000 capacity and I don't see any seats. They appear to be bleachers. Exaggerating again as usual?? :blink::blink:

Right now, the only other possible candidate that could keep Munich from winning 2022 is Oslo, and that bid is on shaky ground public support wise. If the referendum to bid fails this fall, then I believe regardless of whether Bach becomes prez of the IOC, it's a clear path for Munich especially when you look at some of the other potential candidates: Lviv, Ukraine; Brasov, Romania; the joint Poland-Slovakia bid.

Munich rocks. They deserve it. As long as they Germans stay out of their own way, I think they've got 2022 in the bag.

Of course there are plenty of ways they could mess things up for themselves (Bach and the referendum are the most immediate). If they can refrain from self-sabotage though, I think this has all the makings of a super boring race.

I just hope Munich keeps putting one foot in front of the other and wins it going away.

Munich and Germany don't deserves anything. How many major event have Germany hosted in the past? Many. If anything SWEDEN deserves to hots it first WOG, not Germany! Why must everything being so focused on the big countries?

Uhmmm....this source http://inhabitat.com/speed-skating-stadium-inzell-features-a-roof-that-radiates-cold-back-onto-the-ice/speed-skating-stadium-inzell-behnisch-architecten-3/?extend=1

says 7,000 capacity and I don't see any seats. They appear to be bleachers. Exaggerating again as usual?? :blink::blink:

Oh, I actually thought the arena's own website would be the most accurate.

Here they quote a capacity of 10,000 people as do several other sites

http://www.max-aicher-arena.de/Inzell_Arena/Arena.html

Inaccurate again ..... as usual :huh:

Munich and Germany don't deserves anything. How many major event have Germany hosted in the past? Many. If anything SWEDEN deserves to hots it first WOG, not Germany! Why must everything being so focused on the big countries?

Because Sweden CANNOT fulfil the requirements for hosting a WOG. Never in the history of the games has there been the bizarre idea to hold events 500km apart.

Germany has not held the WOGs since 1936 despite being one of the stronger Winter Olympic nations and stronger than Sweden. Austria, USA, Japan, Canada and France have each held the WOGs since Germany last held

The Stockholm/Are plan is RUBBISH compared to the Munich plan

Oh, I actually thought the arena's own website would be the most accurate.

Here they quote a capacity of 10,000 people as do several other sites

http://www.max-aicher-arena.de/Inzell_Arena/Arena.html

Inaccurate again ..... as usual :huh:

Because Sweden CANNOT fulfil the requirements for hosting a WOG. Never in the history of the games has there been the bizarre idea to hold events 500km apart.

Germany has not held the WOGs since 1936 despite being one of the stronger Winter Olympic nations and stronger than Sweden. Austria, USA, Japan, Canada and France have each held the WOGs since Germany last held

The Stockholm/Are plan is RUBBISH compared to the Munich plan

Well Sweden has NEVER host the WOG! And now you want it Germany again? Also Munich hosted SOG in 1972. Sweden's latest OG was in Stockholm 1912! Loool, Sweden don't fulfil the requirements for WOG?? Of course not we aren't big country enough and we haven't the money to pay the corrupt IOC like Germany right? Sorry but Germany don't deserves anything.

As much as I want Sweden to host, Munich's plan is much stronger and has the 2018 loss to build upon. So yes I would classify them as the favourites.

Lol. if any city and country have losses to build on it's Stockholm and Sweden. BTW, have you seen the swedish plan? I haven't.

Well Sweden has NEVER host the WOG! And now you want it Germany again? Also Munich hosted SOG in 1972. Sweden's latest OG was in Stockholm 1912! Loool, Sweden don't fulfil the requirements for WOG?? Of course not we aren't big country enough and we haven't the money to pay the corrupt IOC like Germany right? Sorry but Germany don't deserves anything.

Well, you had the Equestrian Games of 1956. Sweden just does NOT have the right mix of slopes & big city to stage the WOGs. Heck, Russia only got their first Winter next year!! Just for for a Summer Games. That's more suited for you.

Lol. if any city and country have losses to build on it's Stockholm and Sweden.

This I would agree with. But first, they would have to come up with a winnable plan tbw.

Just for for a Summer Games. That's more suited for you.

They tried that already for 2004. Unfortunately, much like all the other nations of less than 10 million, I think the Summer Games have now outgrown smaller regions like Stockholm.

and Germany with a population of 80million should hold it more often than Sweden with a population of 8 million

Sweden doesn't fill the requirements because the mountain events and indoor events should be within 150km of each other. Not 600km apart

FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol. if any city and country have losses to build on it's Stockholm and Sweden. BTW, have you seen the swedish plan? I haven't.

Stockholm has never bid for the Winter Olympics though. Their plan has venues 600km apart which is a huge disadvantage.

and Germany with a population of 80million should hold it more often than Sweden with a population of 8 million

Sweden doesn't fill the requirements because the mountain events and indoor events should be within 150km of each other. Not 600km apart

FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And where are these fact listed? Give me a link. 8 million, excuse me? If you should use that as argument then you should at least check you facts!So what you are saying is that Germany deserves to host it more than Sweden because it's abigger nation? Absolutely ridiculous, but hardly surprising since this forums attitude is strange.

• Like 1

You have already been given the links where the IOC have said and rejected bids because of the distance between evidence. How many facts do you need?????

More people, bigger companies, more spectators, less risk etc. that is why the bigger countries succeed

Tell me, which Winter Olympics has had such a massive distance 400% greater than any previous bid?

And the IOC charter says if they don't have the necessary financial support they will not accept the bid .... the Swedish government has already rejected government money

You have already been given the links where the IOC have said and rejected bids because of the distance between evidence. How many facts do you need?????

More people, bigger companies, more spectators, less risk etc. that is why the bigger countries succeed

Tell me, which Winter Olympics has had such a massive distance 400% greater than any previous bid?

And the IOC charter says if they don't have the necessary financial support they will not accept the bid .... the Swedish government has already rejected government money

I haven't seen any links at all?

This doen't mean Germany deserves it more than Sweden. Do this mean Norway should withdraw too? They have only 4.5 million. Ridiculous argument. So maybe IOC should bring up new rules that the hos needs to have 50 millions+? Congrats the big countries will be ruined.

Australia/Sweden 1956?

Yes the swedish goverment said no to Åre/Östersund. It's hardly surprising since they have failed so many times. This is what I fear with the idiot in IOC. They will praise big nations as Germany, Spain, France, USA ect and the smaller countries will stop to bid to WOG and SOG. But that's what's the corrupt IOC probably want, LOL!

Australia/Sweden 1956?

Yes the swedish goverment said no to Åre/Östersund. It's hardly surprising since they have failed so many times. This is what I fear with the idiot in IOC. They will praise big nations as Germany, Spain, France, USA ect and the smaller countries will stop to bid to WOG and SOG. But that's what's the corrupt IOC probably want, LOL!

Since when was 1956 a WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES?

The IOC insist on the correct finances in place because previously games almost went bankrupt

And back to Norway ---- Oslo is 130km from Norefjell > Stockholm is 600km from Are

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE??????????????????????????

"When Oslo as part of a potential Norwegian bid in 2018 (eventually they chose Tromso) suggested using some of the Lillehammer facilities IOC President Jacques Rogge later stated that with the distance of 240 kilometers (150 mi) between Oslo and the Alpine venues would make it impossible to be selected." 600km is over twice as far yet 240km was called too far by the IOC

http://www.bygdeposten.no/krodsherad/article3361051.ece

This I would agree with. But first, they would have to come up with a winnable plan tbw.

They tried that already for 2004. Unfortunately, much like all the other nations of less than 10 million, I think the Summer Games have now outgrown smaller regions like Stockholm.

What do you mean with smaller regions as Stockholm? What's your magical number for a city to host summer games? How bid must a city be?

What do you mean with smaller regions as Stockholm? What's your magical number for a city to host summer games? How bid must a city be?

Sorry I meant how BIG must a city be to host SOG?

Sorry I meant how BIG must a city be to host SOG?

The official minimum requirements are:

1. 45,000 hotel rooms

2. a "loose" (i.e., available, part-time) work force of 200,000 from which some 65,000 will probably work the Games directly and others to become additional staff to auxiliary support services (restaurants, buses, hotels, production people, etc.)

So from that, you can extrapolate that only a major metro area of 2.5 mil can meet those minimum requirements.

At the beginning I understand your anger defending your country, but right now, you sound a sore loser and this is disappointed after my excellent experience in Sweden.

Germany clearly DESERVES this games because:

1. Whatever you like or not, Germany is an sport power; especially related for WOG. So in case of medals, Germany wins

Vancouver: 2nd. place; Turin: 1st. place; Salt Lake City: 2nd. place; Nagano: 1st. place

2. Germany's population and influence in Europe is relevant

3. The last WOG was in 1936. Yes; Sweden only have 1912 SOG; but unfortunally Sweden is more a minor country. Even Russia will have the first WOG and China is expecting their Games.

4. we haven't the money to pay the corrupt IOC like Germany right - Oh, please. This is a lame excuse to justify your anger. After checking their excellent Olympic bid plan in 2018, Germany deserved that Olympic Games and again, relevance, history and power are in favor of Germany.

5. Again, 600 km. in Winter is a HUGE weakness. If Oslo needs to chance their original bid because of that, Sweden doesn't have many options.

Finally, if you are against of IOC corruption and bla bla excuses... Why are you angry in this post? Especially when you said countries will be ruined. Maybe you should make campaign for withadraw the swedish bid, because after all, it means loss of money. :rolleyes:

Normally I don't make this assumption, but I really hope Munich wins

Sorry - I was trying to say: this is disappointing

• Like 1

The official minimum requirements are:

1. 45,000 hotel rooms

2. a "loose" (i.e., available, part-time) work force of 200,000 from which some 65,000 will probably work the Games directly and others to become additional staff to auxiliary support services (restaurants, buses, hotels, production people, etc.)

So from that, you can extrapolate that only a major metro area of 2.5 mil can meet those minimum requirements.

And that's what's Stockholm will have 2022... Stockholm metropolitan have already now 2.135000. I can tell you that Sweden's transport system is SUPERIOR as example USA!! In Stockholm you can travel everywhere with metro, busses, trains! All Swedes who have been in USA and Canada complains about they needed to have CAR! They think North American infrastructur is TERRIBLE bad!